• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Working on a craft beer crawl in the Shinjuku-ish area for one night with a buddy of mine. I'm thinking:

1. Start at Vector Beer.
2. Walk to Watering Hole.
3. End the night at YYG Brewery before hopping on the Yamanote at Shinjuku station back to Nippori.

Anyone that knows that area have suggestions for better beer spots?

Last edited:

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Working on a craft beer crawl in the Shinjuku-is area for one night with a buddy of mine. I'm thinking:

1. Start at Vector Beer.
2. Walk to Watering Hole.
3. End the night at YYG Brewery before hopping on the Yamanote at Shinjuku station back to Nippori.

Anyone that knows that area have suggestions for better beer spots?

While walking to Watering Hole you can stop at Nikko Kanaya Hotel Craft Grill and/or Yona Yona Beer Works. We visited both during our April trip earlier this year and had a good time - decent beers at both spots.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from northern Europe. I've managed with a t-shirt throughout the week in Tokyo.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Why not do an overnight stay at one of the nearby onsen places? Then you can see it all :p

Not willing to commit to 2 days. I think im going to go check out the lake and the waterfall and on the way back, I'll stop by the bridge and maybe Tosho gu shrine. On that note, is Kamakura and Enoshima doable in a day?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Not willing to commit to 2 days. I think im going to go check out the lake and the waterfall and on the way back, I'll stop by the bridge and maybe Tosho gu shrine. On that note, is Kamakura and Enoshima doable in a day?

Ah, yeah, then that's a good plan.

Depends on what you want to do there, but Kamakura can deffo be done in one day at least.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
So question. Any Gundam fans out there going to watch Gundam NT in theaters 11/30?

I wish. I fly back to Seattle on the 27th.

My wife and I did Kamakura, Kitakamakura and Enoshima all in a day trip from Tokyo. Totally doable.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201811120038.html

Fall leaf watchers headed for the famed Arashiyama district here can avoid the massive crowds through a trial website forecasting tourist congestion that utilizes data from their Wi-Fi smartphones.

The land ministry and Kyoto city and tourism officials jointly started the experiment on Nov. 10, which will continue through Dec. 17, for eight spots in the Arashiyama district, famed for beautiful fall foliage, such as Togetsukyo bridge.

What the website shows is not a real-time congestion update, but a prediction for a specified day based on data collected on the same day of the week, a week before and earlier.

First, users select a date and one spot among eight locations in the Arashiyama district such as the Togetsukyo bridge, a bamboo grove or Matsunoo Taisha shrine. Then, an hourly prediction graph is displayed for the hours between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. When choosing a map page, the map shows a congestion forecast for the eight spots at a glance.

It also recommends routes to avoid the heaviest congestion.

Can check it out here:
https://arashiyama.fun/area.html?lang=en

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Back since Thursday and already sick of Germany again. Guess I will have to start to cook good food myself. :(

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Hey,

I'm going on a trip to Japan in January, and am starting and ending my trip in Tokyo. I have around two weeks in the middle which I was planning to split between Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. As a first time traveller to Japan, what would yall reccomend as a good mix of time to spend in each of these places, 3/4 days in each perhaps? Maybe some other mix?

I should also mention that I am not locked in on those cities, so if you have any other recommendations of places to visit in that region I'd love to hear it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Your hitting big cities mostly so I'd say it highly depends what you want to do there. If your just planning on kicking around, and maybe doing a few touristy things, then year 3/4 days is fine per city. There is of course a lot to see but as someone who got most of their sight seeing in Kyoto done in a day while being there for 4, I'd say its all up to how much time you want to spend in each place.

Although I will say, as someone who recently moved to outside Nagoya... there ain't much to see there compared to the others. Nagoya Castle is pretty cool to walk through but that was about it imo haha. Then again I have not explored too much. Could probably do it in a day or two. Spend the extra day in Kyoto or 'hiroshima. Or even a smaller town or area like Himeji Castle and what not for a few hours instead of a whole day.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...week-holiday-around-2019-imperial-succession/

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a bill to assign one-off holidays related to the Imperial succession next year, creating a 10-day Golden Week holiday period from late April.

Once the bill clears the Diet, May 1 — the day when Crown Prince Naruhito will ascend to the Imperial throne — will become a holiday.

With April 29 and May 3 to 6 already assigned as national and public holidays in 2019, April 30 and May 2 would become public holidays as a result, as Japanese law stipulates that a weekday sandwiched by national holidays automatically becomes a public holiday.

Golden week will most likely be from April 27th till May 6th next year then.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Your hitting big cities mostly so I'd say it highly depends what you want to do there. If your just planning on kicking around, and maybe doing a few touristy things, then year 3/4 days is fine per city. There is of course a lot to see but as someone who got most of their sight seeing in Kyoto done in a day while being there for 4, I'd say its all up to how much time you want to spend in each place.

Although I will say, as someone who recently moved to outside Nagoya... there ain't much to see there compared to the others. Nagoya Castle is pretty cool to walk through but that was about it imo haha. Then again I have not explored too much. Could probably do it in a day or two. Spend the extra day in Kyoto or 'hiroshima. Or even a smaller town or area like Himeji Castle and what not for a few hours instead of a whole day.
Thanks for the response! Will definitely take this on board.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Is it okay to take over the counter medicine for cough and fever or allergies? Especially for my little boy who is just under 2yrs old...

Approximately 5 more weeks until we gooooooo! So excited!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Is it okay to take over the counter medicine for cough and fever or allergies? Especially for my little boy who is just under 2yrs old...

Approximately 5 more weeks until we gooooooo! So excited!

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/doctors/importing-medication/

I'm still on a low level blood pressure medication following my open heart surgery last year, and I'm ok to bring that with me. Check the website, but just make sure it's all in the original container and you should be fine.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Leaving this Sunday. Super excited! I've never been outside North America before. I've been trying to brush up on some very basic Japanese, but this trip is very last minute all things considered. Here's the itinerary we have figured out. We have tickets for Disney, Ghibli Museum, Robot Restaurant and Hakone train tickets, but a lot of it is still pretty loose. First 5 nights are in Shinjuku and last 4 are in Shibuya. What do you guys think in terms of getting our stuff (mostly just two large suitcases) between hotels? Just take the train? Also, I just need some good video game stores to explore.

Mon. Nov. 19:

Arrive in Toyko

-Pick up pocket wifi
-Get Suica card
-Get limobus ticket to Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal. Take taxi to hotel.

Tues. Nov. 20:

Explore Shinjuku
-Tocho Building (open to 11pm) 2 towers, one is open late until 11pm. Observation decks are free, on 45th floors
-Gyoen Garden (open 9am - 4pm)
-Golden Gai (open around 7pm)

Wed. Nov. 21:

2:00 PM - Ghibli Museum - Inokashira Park in Mitaka

-Other stuff in the area - Inokashira Park (the park leads to Kichijoji area (20 minute walk) food, boutiques, vibrant area.
-Nakano Broadway shopping district? -Its like a mall with lots of anime/manga stuff, like Akihabara.
-Koenji? shops and stuff, I dunno

Thurs. Nov. 22:

Robot restaurant 5:55 (must arrive 30 minutes before show starts)

Fri. Nov. 23:

Hakone day trip (Hakone Kamakura 3 day Pass - 6,500 yen, Hakone 2 Day Free pass -5,140 yen) Romance Car roundtrip - 2,280 yen

Sat. Nov. 24:

Go to Shibuya hotel

-Yoyogi Park, big Park with lakes, fountains
-Akihabara
-Owl Cafe -Akihabara: Owl cafe - Akiba Fukurou

Sun. Nov. 25:

Kamakura

Mon. Nov. 26:

DisneySea

Tues. Nov. 27:

Odaiba Island Aqua city, Decks, Palette Town Ferris Wheel, Odaiba Beach Park

Wed. Nov. 28:

Go Home :(

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
This is a very good schedule - we followed something similar on our first trip to Tokyo.

Some thoughts:
- Yoyogi and Akihabara are pretty far away from one another. Not to say they can't be done in the same day but it might stretch you a little thin.
- If you're really big into the romantic scene in Tokyo/Japan, I would recommend to go up to a couple of highrise bars (even if you don't drink). The view is incredible and it's a wonderful experience to share. I've been to and can recommend: Bellovisto at Cerulean Tower, Sky Lounge Stellar Garden at Prince Park Tower Hotel, and of course New York Bar at the Park Hyatt. Some have cover charges depending on the time, FYI.
- Odaiba as your final day is perfect. We did the same on our trip and it was dream like.

Enjoy it - there's nothing like your first time in Tokyo!

Nov 8, 2017
So I suddenly have a dilemma...

My airline just started a promotion where I can get a return flight to Osaka in March 2019 just using my frequent-flier miles (greatly discounted rate).

Here's the thing: I've already booked a two week Japan vacation for September 2019 (with my parents), which will include a stay in Osaka. Also, due to my 2019 vacation planning, I would only have enough vacation days left to go for one week in March, and the flights are twelve hours each way.

What to do? The promotion ends on Saturday, so I need to make a decision soon.

My other option is to hope the airline repeats this same promotion in the future and take advantage of it to go in 2020, but there's no telling if the opportunity will come up again (I have no idea how often these kind of promotions come up).

For what it's worth, I've only been to Japan once before (September this year), during which I spent two weeks in Tokyo.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going on a trip to Japan in January, and am starting and ending my trip in Tokyo. I have around two weeks in the middle which I was planning to split between Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. As a first time traveller to Japan, what would yall reccomend as a good mix of time to spend in each of these places, 3/4 days in each perhaps? Maybe some other mix?

Nagoya is meh imho. If you want to see a castle, go to Himeji. There's good places for day trips all around Kyoto/Osaka. Could go to Nara, Uji, Kobe and Himeji as mentioned. You could go up to Nagano and Kanazawa before continuing to Kyoto/Osaka instead of doing the Nagoya route, that'll be more than good enough for 2 weeks. Hiroshima and Miyajima shouldn't take more than 2-3 days.

-Tocho Building (open to 11pm) 2 towers, one is open late until 11pm. Observation decks are free, on 45th floors

Note that the south observatory is closed for renovations until sometime in the spring of 2019, so you'll only have 1 tower to go to. :P

- Yoyogi and Akihabara are pretty far away from one another. Not to say they can't be done in the same day but it might stretch you a little thin.

It's only 30 mins by train though.

What to do? The promotion ends on Saturday, so I need to make a decision soon.

My other option is to hope the airline repeats this same promotion in the future and take advantage of it to go in 2020, but there's no telling if the opportunity will come up again (I have no idea how often these kind of promotions come up).

Do it! Even 1 week is fun! There'll probably be fewer promotions in 2020 because of the Olympics.

Nov 8, 2017
Do it! Even 1 week is fun! There'll probably be fewer promotions in 2020 because of the Olympics.
I just had a look and it seems all the weekend flights have already sold out for March. They still have promo flights available in January and February, but not sure that would be the best time to go?

I also noticed that I'd still have to pay around €150 in fees (taxes, etc.) that aren't covered by the frequent flier miles.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a look and it seems all the weekend flights have already sold out for March. They still have promo flights available in January and February, but not sure that would be the best time to go?

I also noticed that I'd still have to pay around €150 in fees (taxes, etc.) that aren't covered by the frequent flier miles.

I go in Jan every time just to avoid the crowds. Well, the big cities will still be crowded but theres nothing like walking around in crisp winter air in Tokyo and having some hot ramen.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Well, if you go in February (and you're not completely exhausted from flying) you could take an overnight trip to Sapporo and the snow festival while there:
http://www.snowfes.com/english/

Would be like 15K-20K JPY to fly there and back from Osaka.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be in Japan for 3 weeks from mid-February to early March, with Tokyo being my port of entry and exit. What's the weather like around that time? Temperatures seem decent enough (barely double digits in Celsius) that I probably won't need a super thick jacket.

And I saw on the OP that pocket WiFi is recommended, are data plans not great in Japan for prepaid SIM cards? I will definitely get pocket WiFi though, I didn't think to do so until reading this thread. I have a roaming option that carries over my exact plan from my carrier, but for $12-a-day for 3 weeks, that'll be really expensive, as tempting as it is lol.

I'm also thinking of hitting up Disneyland. Is Sea worth it? Or should I do one or the other?

I'm pretty excited, it'll be my first time in the country.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be in Japan for 3 weeks from mid-February to early March, with Tokyo being my port of entry and exit. What's the weather like around that time? Temperatures seem decent enough (barely double digits in Celsius) that I probably won't need a super thick jacket.

Depends on your definition of super thick jacket. It won't be spring weather unless its a sudden change. I'd expect low to mid single digits, possibly minus at night. Probably won't snow, but then again, we said that last year around February and Tokyo got a random snow storm lol.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
DisneySea is worth it, it doesn't exist anywhere else. If you've been to Disneyland or Magic Kingdom before I'd skip TDL, though.

Good point. I might end up doing both Disney parks then. Thanks.

Depends on your definition of super thick jacket. It won't be spring weather unless its a sudden change. I'd expect low to mid single digits, possibly minus at night. Probably won't snow, but then again, we said that last year around February and Tokyo got a random snow storm lol.

"Super thick jacket" being parkas and similar kinds of winter coats lol

But good point also. Low to single digits I can live with.

Oct 25, 2017
Already booked flight and stays for my next Japan trip the incoming summer. The last weekend of June and the first two weeks in July.
First week in Tokyo, with one trip to Mt. Fuji. And the second week in Okinawa.

I hope the Japanese summer isn't killing me in Tokyo.

Oct 25, 2017
It was the only time frame I could get two weeks early confirmed for vacation.
After two travels around New Year I need to see non Winter Japan. Also Mt. Fuji.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
March-mid-May and October-November the best times to go ;P

December-February second best choice.

Summer is the worst. The worst!

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, we got a taste of the end of typhoon season in early October. Humid as fuck at times. BUT, it is still Japan which is amazing. Just be prepared for the heat.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
It was the only time frame I could get two weeks early confirmed for vacation.
After two travels around New Year I need to see non Winter Japan. Also Mt. Fuji.

You're going a little latter than I did in 2016, but I went from June 15-June 30 and it was cloudy pretty much every day. Planned on doing Mt. Fuji but ended up not going because I wasn't going to be able to see shit. I'd plan to try Mt. Fuji as late as possible.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations.

Bags are packed. Checked into flights. Leaving in 36 hours or so.

A couple last ideas. Any recommendations for live music in Shinjuku or Shibuya? We're pretty open to anything. Mostly like a have a drink and listen to some music type stuff would be preferable.

Looking for hip clothes for my nephew. I know nothing of fashion, but he likes his Supreme, Bape, etc. Not saying I need to buy him those brands, but something he'd be impressed with.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for hip clothes for my nephew. I know nothing of fashion, but he likes his Supreme, Bape, etc. Not saying I need to buy him those brands, but something he'd be impressed with.

One of my goals in Japan is to hopefully pick up a Sukajan bomber jacket.

Could be a solid souvenir to bring back.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Getting back from a holiday is usually a nice to be home again feeling.

Not from Japan, I miss it already.

Good thing flying with ANA is that they allow 2 checkin luggage so i bought an extra one in Akihabara and filled it up with everything i always wanted to buy on previous trips but never could due to luggage space concerns.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
God damn
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...seen-at-mickey-mouse-attraction-in-japan.html

The popularity of Mickey Mouse drew many Tokyo Disneyland visitors to an attraction on Sunday, the 90th anniversary of the character's debut, forcing the operator to ask some to wait for 11 hours to enter it.

"There is no official record but we are not aware of any waiting time reaching 11 hours," a representative of the theme park's operator Oriental Land Co. said.

Many visitors flocked to the Mickey's House and Meet Mickey attraction at the theme park in Urayasu, near Tokyo, apparently to celebrate the character's screen debut on Nov. 18, 1928.

The operator did not organize any special event at the attraction where visitors can see Mickey Mouse's kitchen and living room as well as ask him to take photos with them.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That's been all over the news this morning. Crazy.

Got in yesterday afternoon, walked around Yanaka, ate at Menya Hidemari (ramen) and grabbed some craft beers at the local liquor store. Our Airbnb has an amazing view of the Sky Tree so I sat out there and enjoyed a Shiga Kogen fresh hop pils. Managed to stay up and avoid too much jet lag. Need to redeem our JR passes today so heading to Tokyo Station so my daughter can visit the Pretty Cure store too.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
One of my goals in Japan is to hopefully pick up a Sukajan bomber jacket.

Could be a solid souvenir to bring back.

Things are everywhere. You can get them pretty cheap too depending where you look/what quality you want. Around my area, a lot of old people have them as well as children, sometimes teens too, but they can go from like $25 and up.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...lodgings-top-10000-japan-concentrated-cities/

The number of licensed private lodgings for tourists in Japan topped 10,000 in early November, but the facilities were concentrated in urban areas, the Japan Tourism Agency said Tuesday.

Since a new law legalizing "minpaku" lodgings took effect in June, private home rentals in Japan have continued increasing by over 1,000 per month from 2,210 in the first month on the back of a growing number of foreign tourists.

As of late October, there were 3,444 lodgings in central Tokyo's 23 wards, followed by 1,211 in Sapporo and 1,055 in the city of Osaka. Lodgings in the three popular tourist destinations accounted for nearly 60 percent of the total number of 9,726 in Japan at the time, according to the agency.

On the other hand, the number of private lodgings registered in rural areas remained small, with only five in Akita, six in Fukui and eight in Yamagata prefectures.

"More foreign tourists are traveling to rural areas and we see potential demand" for private lodgings there, an agency official said.