• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
I've bought a 4G sim with 10GB of data pre-loaded for my next trip instead of the usual wifi dongle posted to my apartment. I just like the idea of having one less device to worry about charging. I've read a few instructions online and seems pretty straight forward to just change a few setting buried in an android sub-menu. Anyone on ERA have experience with these?

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a 4G sim with 10GB of data pre-loaded for my next trip instead of the usual wifi dongle posted to my apartment. I just like the idea of having one less device to worry about charging. I've read a few instructions online and seems pretty straight forward to just change a few setting buried in an android sub-menu. Anyone on ERA have experience with these?

Got a link for this? I'm almost set on getting pocket Wifi, but I wouldn't mind a reasonable second option, especially if it means one less thing to carry.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as Mike said, I'm using it mostly as a hub city because of the Shinkansen access. I'll research that onsen town a bit more though :)

We went to Yamanouchi, the monkey park onsen town in winter, it was my favorite thing in Japan. The onsen town under snow felt like a dream :

26232078_10155079368395969_7109426858481921597_o.jpg

26170997_10155079368890969_5328243233569719199_o.jpg

Also, monkey park :

26230343_10155079367150969_7306505106748785581_n.jpg

also if you have a day to spare in Nagano, consider taking the train to Matsumoto, there is a real castle (not rebuild) there and a cool antique market nearby. Plus the train ride from nagano is breathaking.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like JR West will launch online ticket reservation for overseas tourists later this year:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/pdf/press_20181225.pdf

As an increasing number of tourists visit Japan, the West Japan Railway Company (JR-West) wants to make their journey easier and more convenient. In spring 2019, the company will launch a service allowing overseas tourists to purchase JR tickets online before their arrival, including tickets that are only available to overseas visitors. After arriving in Japan, customers can pick up their tickets at facilities such as the Midori ticket machines.

Launch of service
Standard tickets (reserved and non-reserved seats): Scheduled for March 2019
Special tickets available only for overseas visitors (JR-West Rail Pass, etc.): Scheduled for May 2019

Areas where reservations are available
Shinkansen services: Hokuriku Shinkansen, Tōkaidō-San-yō Shinkansen, Kyūshū Shinkansen, Joetsu Shinkansen, Tohoku Shinkansen (selected sections only)
Limited express services: Conventional limited express services in the JR-West, JR-Shikoku, JR-Kyushu and JR-Tokai areas and parts of the JR-East area

Combined with the JR East online reservation system, it should AFAIK then be possible to book tickets for any Shinkansen train in all of Japan before arrival.

Dec 13, 2017

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
We went to Yamanouchi, the monkey park onsen town in winter, it was my favorite thing in Japan. The onsen town under snow felt like a dream :

26232078_10155079368395969_7109426858481921597_o.jpg

26170997_10155079368890969_5328243233569719199_o.jpg

Also, monkey park :

26230343_10155079367150969_7306505106748785581_n.jpg

also if you have a day to spare in Nagano, consider taking the train to Matsumoto, there is a real castle (not rebuild) there and a cool antique market nearby. Plus the train ride from nagano is breathaking.

Looks beautiful! Shame I'm not going there in the winter, but hopefully it's still nice in May.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on where you book it from. :P

Usually the data is for the whole period though, and there may or may not be a limit within a 3 day period and/or fair use rules.

whats the typical amount of data you with one for say 9 days? I wont be gaming or streaming, only browsing and social media while i am away from the hotel

Dec 13, 2017
I'm not exactly sure which Rail Pass we will need, if we're going from Tokyo to Kyoto and Himeji. The main website has information on the railpasses but it doesn't really say where we can purchase them. My friend was saying we needed our passports to get stamped in customs a certain way in order to buy them in Japan? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do at night in the Asakusa area? Our hotel is there near the skytree, and I'd like to not go to Shinjuku every night and spend an hour commuting.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Check the ones in the OP and see if you find something that's good for you.

Thanks, i found something. I noticed you dont recommend the JR pass for sub 7 days, why is that? Just curious. We calculated our bullet train tickets from Narita to Osaka the day we land and the JR pass actually is slightly cheaper. Are there tricks to getting bullet train tickets for less?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly sure which Rail Pass we will need, if we're going from Tokyo to Kyoto and Himeji. The main website has information on the railpasses but it doesn't really say where we can purchase them. My friend was saying we needed our passports to get stamped in customs a certain way in order to buy them in Japan?

Get the normal 7 day one. Get it from one of the sites in the OP. If you're a tourist and not living/studying in Japan, then you'll get the correct sticker/stamp in immigration automatically.

Thanks, i found something. I noticed you dont recommend the JR pass for sub 7 days, why is that? Just curious. We calculated our bullet train tickets from Narita to Osaka the day we land and the JR pass actually is slightly cheaper. Are there tricks to getting bullet train tickets for less?

If you're just going from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka and back then it's not cheaper. If you're going from Narita and not Tokyo then it may or may not be cheaper depending on how many days you're spending in Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto/other places around Kansai.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
If you're just going from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka and back then it's not cheaper. If you're going from Narita and not Tokyo then it may or may not be cheaper depending on how many days you're spending in Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto/other places around Kansai.

So the plan is, land in Narita, bullet train to tokyo station, and right on the bullet train to osaka. Spend the weekend in osaka/kyoto, back to tokyo for 3 days. Spend our last two days at TDL and go back to narita from there

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
So the plan is, land in Narita, bullet train to tokyo station, and right on the bullet train to osaka. Spend the weekend in osaka/kyoto, back to tokyo for 3 days. Spend our last two days at TDL and go back to narita from there

The fastest JR train to/from Narita is the NEX, not a bullet train.

It could be cheaper to get the NEX round trip + this Osaka bullet train package. You can then take the fastest bullet trains to Osaka, but you'll have to use non-reserved seats. You also get a 1 day Osaka Amazing Pass that lets you get into various attractions in Osaka for free/cheap + free subway for 1 day.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
But for my question, how much data do you get if you buy a pocket wifi? is the data calculated by the day or whole rental?
Just used this service in Japan and it worked really well: https://www.japan-wireless.com/en

Unlimited data ftw. Worked great for our group of 4. Will also note that some of the AirBNBs we stayed at had a pocket wifi they let you borrow instead of a traditional router which was nice

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

ZeusII

Nov 16, 2017
Barcelona
In my last two trips I used the Japan Welcome SIM: https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/#a-plan

I prefer this to carrying a pocket wifi (one less thing to worry about). It's really cheap and you can get coupons from time to time just by searching. Also, by watching several videos on their site (once registered/ordered) you can get additional high speed bandwidth allowance.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Planning a 2020 trip with friends. This will be hard since we are planning around which Olympic events we get tickets for. But we want to go outside of Tokyo. This will be my second time, but their first.

My thought is to decide what we soon to see and do beforehand and fit it in between Olympic events. I'd like to book most stuff by July.

Wasp

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys,

Just booked a 3 week trip to Japan in August (yes I know its gonna be hot and humid as hell).

Can anyone help me with a make a 3 week itinerary of the must go to places in Japan? I'll be travelling solo and staying in hostels.

Will be arriving in and departing from Tokyo. Some other places I think I want to visit are DisneySea, Mt Fuji (potentially hike but at least visit good viewpoints), Kyoto and Hiroshima. What else am I missing and how many days should I spend in each place? Should I just do a loop from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back again or do I have time in 3 weeks to explore other areas?

Also do you recommend I get a 3 week rail pass to cover the entire trip or do without a rail pass in Tokyo and just get a 2 week rail pass for the remainder of the trip?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Should I just do a loop from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back again or do I have time in 3 weeks to explore other areas?

Also do you recommend I get a 3 week rail pass to cover the entire trip or do without a rail pass in Tokyo and just get a 2 week rail pass for the remainder of the trip?

Do the Hokuriku arch and go check out Kanazawa with day trips to Shirakawa, Takayama and maybe also Kurobe Gorge.

Get a 2 week pass. Using a pass for Tokyo is a waste of money.

Dec 13, 2017
Anyone have recommendations for good ryokans in Hakone? Looking for a more traditional experience, maybe a private bath in room but outdoor baths in nature and stuff. Looking at Japanican and have seen a lot, but was wondering if anyone here has stayed at some and can add their own experience.

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of Tokyo-ish questions:
1.) Are the food stalls and restaurants in Tsukiji still there? Or have they moved on to the new Toyosu site? Is it better to go to the new site for food?
2.) I'm thinking of doing a daytrip to Kamakura from Tokyo, but go to Yokohama's Chinatown for the evening. Is it doable?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone visited Okinawa without renting a car? Might spend a few days there and trying to figure out how viable it is.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
Guys, I'm a little over a month from moving to Tokyo, alone. I'm nervous. (And drunk)

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
1.) Are the food stalls and restaurants in Tsukiji still there? Or have they moved on to the new Toyosu site? Is it better to go to the new site for food?
2.) I'm thinking of doing a daytrip to Kamakura from Tokyo, but go to Yokohama's Chinatown for the evening. Is it doable?

Some have moved, some have not. Dunno which is better, but you'll be able to get good food at both.

Should probably be fine.

So, what are some of the best things to do indoors on rainy days? Other than visiting museums.

Go shopping in one of the big malls? Like at Skytree where they have the Pokemon Center, the Kirby Cafe and stuff :P

Guys, I'm a little over a month from moving to Tokyo, alone. I'm nervous. (And drunk)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/japan-era-ot-we-all-お箸上手-and-日本語ペラペラ-in-here.1621/

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Finnair actually will pay me the €600 for my December flight that got rebooked and ended up with a 7h delay. Thanks for giving me that link MikeHattsu

Guess I don't have to feel too bad about booking another flight for the first week in May now. :D

Dec 13, 2017
This may be a stupid question, but I want to try to get Ghibli tickets the 10th. It says 10:00am, is that there time? So, I'm in EST, would that mean they go for sale at 8:00p.m.?

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
Some have moved, some have not. Dunno which is better, but you'll be able to get good food at both.

Should probably be fine.

Go shopping in one of the big malls? Like at Skytree where they have the Pokemon Center, the Kirby Cafe and stuff :P

https://www.resetera.com/threads/japan-era-ot-we-all-お箸上手-and-日本語ペラペラ-in-here.1621/

Hey, thanks, I think I've made this mistake already once ... I apologize for drunkposting all over the wrong thread.

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm going back for the third time, aiming at late autumn 2019. Last time we spent two weeks in Tokyo but we want to do more stuff and not be quite as shopping focused (especially for my friend who is not a big shopper). Might try for three weeks but less shopping. Tokyo would be one of the weeks with maybe three more major places to visit over the other two.

What I really, really want to do is go to a concert with any of my big three current favourites: Sarah Alainn, Leo Ieiri or (if they're touring again already) Ikimono-gakari. How likely am I to hit a concert within a three week span? I might want to go to the Mitsuda concert on November 3rd, but that's a bit later than I had planned to go. Ideally I want to see some autumn colours since both previous times were in April.

I've also been to Kyoto and Osaka previously so I don't particularly need to see those again, although I never really went to the iconic Osaka sights (except the castle which sucked). I have to admit that Abroad in Japan is selling me on the northern parts of the country. Sapporo might be a bit too much but Sendai could be nice, although possibly not late in the year? Maybe do Kyushu and then a Hiroshima -> Nara trip, although it would take a damn long time to get back to Tokyo. How is that area in October/November?

Dec 13, 2017
I'll have some more questions later but my company is sending me to the Tokyo office for some training and such but I'm getting hung up on hotel reservations. I chose a place that's right next to Shinagawa station while a person from the Tokyo office is suggesting a place that's within walking distance to the office. They are suggesting the walk because Shinagawa station is apparently crazy during rush hour. I'll be taking the Yamanote line 2 or 3 stops from my hotel to the office. Google says 14 min door to door. The other aspect is that their suggested hotel is definitely...spartan... Cost difference doesn't matter. I chose that hotel because of the overall reviews and proximity to the station means it will be super easy to get to/or/from anywhere in the metro area. The other hotel only has access to the Yamanote line, which is still good, but not compared to Shinagawa being next door.
Thoughts?

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm planning on going to Japan for new years with a friend. Was gonna stay for around 3 weeks at the end of the year and come back the first week of Jan. Any idea when I should book the flight? Plan on going to Hiroshima and working my way up to Tokyo where I would finish the trip off at.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
What I really, really want to do is go to a concert with any of my big three current favourites: Sarah Alainn, Leo Ieiri or (if they're touring again already) Ikimono-gakari. How likely am I to hit a concert within a three week span? I might want to go to the Mitsuda concert on November 3rd, but that's a bit later than I had planned to go. Ideally I want to see some autumn colours since both previous times were in April.

Maybe do Kyushu and then a Hiroshima -> Nara trip, although it would take a damn long time to get back to Tokyo. How is that area in October/November?

For concerts, it might be in the air simply cause it depends on the person/group schedule and where you are. Major cities are good for these obviously but of course tickets, cost, blah blah. Generally artists kinda announce tour dates well ahead of time though.

For autumn colors I think Kyoto is kinda unrivaled in some of its places in terms of city viewing, while some more off the beaten path areas are also amazing. That said its amazingly crowded this time of year for that reason. If you go from one end of the country to the other though, you should see some decent areas. Kyushuu is more green for autumn than other areas, but if its only a handful of days your not missing much. Like Mike said, take a plane from Tokyo and work your way up if your going that route. cheap airlines go to Kagoshima from Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka several times a day.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Chris is heading into the area I was thinking of so I'll get plenty of ideas. Already need to add Himeji to the list, although I'm assuming it's not that great to go inside? Tons of tourists?

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have some more questions later but my company is sending me to the Tokyo office for some training and such but I'm getting hung up on hotel reservations. I chose a place that's right next to Shinagawa station while a person from the Tokyo office is suggesting a place that's within walking distance to the office. They are suggesting the walk because Shinagawa station is apparently crazy during rush hour. I'll be taking the Yamanote line 2 or 3 stops from my hotel to the office. Google says 14 min door to door. The other aspect is that their suggested hotel is definitely...spartan... Cost difference doesn't matter. I chose that hotel because of the overall reviews and proximity to the station means it will be super easy to get to/or/from anywhere in the metro area. The other hotel only has access to the Yamanote line, which is still good, but not compared to Shinagawa being next door.
Thoughts?
Well my experience is limited, but when I visited in October, I did travel on the Yamanote through Shinagawa and other Tokyo station during rush hour. Yes it was busy and crowded, but totally manageable. You will be shoulder to shoulder and you may have to wait 5 min for another train if it is packed, but my wife and I found it to be no big deal. I say go for the nicer hotel and have fun exploring to and from the station.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Man trying to get these Ghibli tickets is brutal. Giving me massive sneaker raffle PTSD trying to get these

Took me 52 minutes to get them but once I did it was pretty smooth, I wonder if it just took 45 minutes for someone to reboot the server...

Towards the end I tried the Japanese site which was working fine but they wanted a Japanese address to register....