• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Hi guys, need advice!

Since AirBNB is getting expensive and limited in popular area like Shinjuku and Shibuya and hotels are expensive at these areas too.... I am looking at hotels and Airbnb outside those places, Is ASAKUSA a convenient place to stay if going around Tokyo? I am also planning to go to Mount Fuji , Disney land/sea, along with either ghibli museum or the Doramon one.

Any other recommendation of a good place to stay(none hostels as i have elderly) for a family trip?
Don't limit yourself to Shibuya or Shinjuku. It's super easy to get around in Tokyo. Try to look all along the Yamanote. I always stay in Ikebukuro. Asakusa is a good option as well but it isn't on the Yamanote so you'll have to transfer most of the time.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, it's been a while since I snooped this thread. I'll be visiting Japan for nine days in early June (my third visit to the country with plans to attend language school next year), and I have the first half of my schedule sorted (ventures in Tokyo with a day trip to Hakone). For the latter half, I'll be staying in Inzai, Chiba. Is there much to do around the area and Narita, other than the Big Hop amusement/shopping area and the second hand stores dotted around the place? I'm not one for museums and such, I just enjoy long distance walking while pinballing to arcades and shops, though it would be nice to visit more shrines (since I visited Kyoto last year). I could just hop on the train back into Tokyo if need be, but I would like two or three new things to do.

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on going to the FF14 Eorzea Cafe in Akihabara, but I can only pick up tickets from the Loppi machines in Lawson stores. Is it a guarantee that I can find a Loppi ticket machine in any Lawson stores I walk in on? The idea is to reserve tickets for the evening online (7:00 PM slot) and picking up the ticket around 6:00 PM in a Lawson near Akihabara, but I hope this isn't cutting it too close.

Nov 6, 2017
Our flight is coming up this Thursday and I think I've put together a more doable itinerary. I'd appreciate feedback as well as recommendations on places to eat/visit I didn't list. We both can't wait to be over there.
28-Travel Day

29 Fri-Arrival day
  • 315pm Arrive at Tokyo
  • Check into Air BNB
  • Check out surrounding area
  • Dinner
  • Go to bed early
30 Sat-Tokyo
  • 930am-Shinjuku gyoen or Yoyogi park
  • 11am-Tokyo Metropolitan building
  • Shibuya
    • 12pm-Hachiko
    • Lunch
    • 1pm-Shibuya 109/Shibuya Crossing-3 min walk
      • Uniqlo
    • 2pm-Disney Store-3 min walk
    • 3pm-Mandarake Shibuya-3 min walk
    • 4pm-Animate Shibuya
  • Nakano
    • 5pm-Nakano Broadway-30 minutes from mandarake
    • 630pm-back to hotel
  • Kabukicho-7pm
    • Dinner
    • Godzilla
    • Kabukicho gate
    • Arcades
  • Golden Gai?
31Sun -Osaka
travel to osaka
  • Check into airbnb-2pm
  • Osaka Castle 330-430
  • Pokemon Center 5-6
    • Toys r us namba-
    • Animate Osaka
    • Den Den Town
  • Dotonbori
1 Mon-Himeji
Himeji Castle
  • Cherry Blossoms w/friends
  • Dotonbori for dinner
2 Tue-Nara
  • Kintetsu-nippombashi station-nara station
  • Nara Park
  • Todaiji Temple
  • Yoshikien garden
  • Isuien Garden?
3 Wed-Kyoto-
  • Fushimi Inari-8-9am
  • Kiyomizudera Temple-930-1030
  • Kinkakuji-1130-1230
  • Lunch
  • Pokemon Center-145-245
  • Gion (geisha district)-3-4
  • Philosopher's Path-430-6
4 Thur-Osaka/Totoro House?
  • 9-4pm totoro house
  • 430pm Den Den Town
5 Fri-Hakone
  • Arrive at hotel by 1230
  • Hakone open air-130-330
  • Hakone shrine/Lake ashinoko--4-5
  • hotel-6pm
6 Sat-Tokyo
  • arrive in tokyo noon
  • Check into air bnb
  • Asakusa
    • Sumida park
    • Sumida river
    • Pokemon Center-Sky Tree
7 Sun-Tokyo
  • Odaiba
    • Diver City/gundam
    • Rainbow Bridge
    • Joypolis
    • Jump shop
    • Aqua City
    • Oedo onsen
8 Mon-Tokyo
  • Senso-ji
  • Pokemon Center DX
    • Pokemon Center Cafe @1245 for lunch
  • Akihabara
    • Taito hey-arcade
    • Radio kaikan-amiami
    • Gachapon kaikan
    • Yodobaishi camera-god hands
9 Tue-Tokyo
  • Tokyo Disney
10 Wed-Tokyo
  • Disney Sea
11 Thur-Tokyo
  • Ghibli Museum
  • Kichijoji
  • Inokashira Koen
12 Fri-Tokyo
  • Imperial Palace
  • Second half free
13 Sat-Tokyo-
12pm-My Hero stage play
  • Yokohama
    • Pokemon Center
    • Yokohama minato mirai 21
    • Kawasaki arcade
14 Sun-Tokyo-
Ikkebukuro
  • Mutekiya-ramen
  • Sunshine City
  • Pokemon Center
  • Animate
  • Sunshine 60 Dori
15 Mon-Fly back to US

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Our flight is coming up this Thursday and I think I've put together a more doable itinerary. I'd appreciate feedback as well as recommendations on places to eat/visit I didn't list. We both can't wait to be over there.

I'm not sure 30 Sat-Tokyo is doable like that, and 1 hour at Osaka castle might not be enough either. Any particular reason why you're going to the hotel in Hakone first? Better to just use the luggage delivery service at Hakone-Yumoto Station if you can.

Other stuff seems fine

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Without spending a ton of time on your list, your day 2 and 3 are REALLY packed. I would trim those down and try to focus and enjoy a few things versus fit in as much shit as possible.

E: Clarification since I'm on my PC now! We did a similar stops on our trip, but we spread them out. For example, we were at Fushimi Inari by ~7-7:30 to avoid tour busses. We left for Nara somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 and spent until around 2 or 3 in the afternoon exploring the area there. It's not to say you CAN'T hit all those places, but I would allow yourself some wiggle room to enjoy things if you so choose!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure 30 Sat-Tokyo is doable like that, and 1 hour at Osaka castle might not be enough either. Any particular reason why you're going to the hotel in Hakone first? Better to just use the luggage delivery service at Hakone-Yumoto Station if you can.

Other stuff seems fine
I didn't know there was a luggage service. I mainly just wanted to check in at that time since it's a Ryokan and we didn't want to miss check in and not get dinner.

I'll love over those two days and see about restructuring them.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Hi guys, need advice!

Since AirBNB is getting expensive and limited in popular area like Shinjuku and Shibuya and hotels are expensive at these areas too.... I am looking at hotels and Airbnb outside those places, Is ASAKUSA a convenient place to stay if going around Tokyo? I am also planning to go to Mount Fuji , Disney land/sea, along with either ghibli museum or the Doramon one.

Any other recommendation of a good place to stay(none hostels as i have elderly) for a family trip?

I am a bit of a broken record but I like Shimokitazawa its one (or possibly two) stops from Shibuya, about four stops from Shinjuku. Its a bit more laid back but gives you enough stuff on your doorstep, especially if you like live music and coffee.

Nov 6, 2017
Without spending a ton of time on your list, your day 2 and 3 are REALLY packed. I would trim those down and try to focus and enjoy a few things versus fit in as much shit as possible.

E: Clarification since I'm on my PC now! We did a similar stops on our trip, but we spread them out. For example, we were at Fushimi Inari by ~7-7:30 to avoid tour busses. We left for Nara somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 and spent until around 2 or 3 in the afternoon exploring the area there. It's not to say you CAN'T hit all those places, but I would allow yourself some wiggle room to enjoy things if you so choose!

No worries I definitely understand what you mean. I've just been so overwhelmed planning this myself that I kinda just stuck in everything I could.

I'll spread things out a bit more and post an updated one in a bit.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Against my better judgement, I am in the pretty early steps of planning a second trip to Japan this summer somehow. So I'm looking for some ideas here, such as:

1. Obscure stuff in Tokyo that I might've missed but might be interesting to take a look the second time around. But not stuff that's too weird.

2. Osaka. I have never been to Osaka. I need recommendations for stuff in Osaka.

3. Any other underrated places elswehere in general, really.

For your number two I recommend at least a few drinks at the misono building, its a 60's style building with a bunch of small bars, most of which were themed. Its a block or two back from dontonbori toward Den Den town so its pretty central in terms of the entertainment district. I went there a few times on my last trip and enjoyed all the bars I went into.

Actually Osaka has a pretty great bar scene in general, I'm less useful for day activities unfortunately as most of the stuff I did was basic touristy stuff (universal, shinsekai, aquarium, a lot of arcades, buying anime shit in den den town etc) but I could probably help with bar recommendations if you need them.

Also what do you want to do in Tokyo and whats too weird?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also what do you want to do in Tokyo and whats too weird?
In terms of weirdness, I guess apart from the obviously creepy stuff like the maid cafes, I just find the whacky/novelty stuff like robot restaurants too exhausting to be around I guess. Not to mention they feel like a dime in a dozen in terms of my travel experience in general.

I guess I'm looking for more low-key, quaint and quirky spots to hang around, even if it's jusy neighbourhoods (wandering around some corners of Roppongi was pretty chill last time I was there). Though, my friend cautions me that the language gap will likely widen if I go to some more obscure cafe or something, but I don't mind.

Either way, this trip is looking less likely since I posted lol, but it'd be good to know nonetheless.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Where should I go to buy used J-Pop CDs (Namie Amuro, Utada)?

I'm not spending 3,000 ¥ per CD lmao. New prices are insane.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
No worries I definitely understand what you mean. I've just been so overwhelmed planning this myself that I kinda just stuck in everything I could.

I'll spread things out a bit more and post an updated one in a bit.

Another tip regarding Disney. We spent 4 full days in Disney and enjoyed most of everything. My simple tips to you.

The theater style shows are all in Japanese (except Big Band Beat). So don't bother with those unless you're fluent.

The crowds will be INSANE. You'll be there around Easter and during the Cherry Blossom Season. Pick a few things you absolutely want to see and do and don't get hung up on the other stuff if you miss out.

The merchandise is amazing and ever changing. Unlike DL and WDW, it's worth checking out multiple shops as they have very little overlap in stuff!

The popcorn is amazing. So are the churros. Lots of unique flavors of both!

Try and win the Big Band Beat lottery because that show is one of the best in all of Disney. My wife preferred Mickey and the Magician in Paris, but this one was my favorite.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The crowd calendar actually shows it's low season, so they chose the correct time to go :P

I guess looking at the blossoms, they'll be done at Tokyo. So you might actually be OK. But our crowds were listed as "normal" and they were well above what we would have considered normal! Of course, we were there during Halloween season, so the calendar could have been off a bit.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's starting to come on my horizon. I'm tentatively exploring going from May 17th - May 30th 2020 (fly out late on the 15th or early on the 16th). Tokyo first week, Kyoto/Osaka/Nara the second week (and maybe back to Tokyo for flight out if that's easier).

Going to have plenty of money saved up so that the "where to stay" question is less of an issue.

About how far out should I buy plane tickets? When would be close enough to get a reliable flight plan but far off enough to save as much as I can?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
in Osaka until sunday! trying to figure out which days to further explore here and which might be best for a river ride in Kyoto, in terms of cherry blossoms. anyone have the current information on that?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
ANA will be putting on direct flights between Perth and Narita from September,
They had some deals to kick it off and I couldn't resist so now I'm going for a quick week trip 10th to 18th September for TGS.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
what has been the experience with pocket wifi for the sites listed in the OP?

I've previously only used a disposable sim but thought I'd try pocket wifi this time around. However Im interested in the battery life in these things cos wifi rental store lists 3-4 hrs whereas global advanced comm list 10hrs on their devices...

I am bringing a 10000mah portable charger so it won't be that much of an issue...

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Used different providers for pocket wifis and never had a problem to have enough battery power for a whole day. Even with multiple users connected to it.

The only problem I've ever experienced was during July or August when it overheated and shut down. :D

And with a portable charger you will be fine anyway.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Cool thanks, reading a bit closer maybe some might be citing continuous use while others is "average" use.

Oct 26, 2017
OK, tentative itinerary time. It seems that going through Tokyo both ways is easier than travelling one way, so we will be arriving there first. The plan is to do the west first.

Day 1: arrive, pick up JR Pass and wi-fi (JR sells these too, should I get it through them?), get on the train to Osaka, arrive and set up
Day 2: explore Osaka
Day 3: explore Osaka
Day 4: explore Osaka (4 nights in Osaka)
Day 5: get on the train to Kobe, eat meat, stay the night (1 night in Kobe)
Day 6: get on the train to Himeji, visit castle, stay the night (1 night in Himeji)
Day 7: get on the train to Kurashiki, check out the canal area and old stuff, get on the train to Hiroshima (if the weather is shitty on this day, might head directly to Hiroshima)
Day 8-9: go to Itsukushima or explore Hiroshima (3 nights in Hiroshima)
Day 10: go back to Tokyo (is there an overnight train we can take to save on a hotel night and sleep the trip away?)
Day 11-18ish: explore Tokyo (Shinjuku, Akihabara, Ueno, Ikebukuro, Tokyo Station, Yokohama? Roppongi?)

I haven't decided on the arrival day yet so we might stay a couple of days more or less, but I do want at least a week in Tokyo.

We're two old farts (39 y/o) so we want to take our time.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good place in Tokyo to shop for cosmetics, everyday pharmaceuticals, and general items around the home? Basically I'm looking for the Japanese equivalent of the Target stores in the US.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Can anyone recommend a good place in Tokyo to shop for cosmetics, everyday pharmaceuticals, and general items around the home? Basically I'm looking for the Japanese equivalent of the Target stores in the US.

What you're looking for is a mix of Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Daikoku Drugs, and Bic Camera. You'll find those everywhere and they're all duty free.

Oct 28, 2017
Packed my bergen for the trip on Monday. Only about half full and its one of those huge military style ones. Wondering what I'll go mad and purchase when I'm there, but I'm 5'11 so Japan probably won't cater much to me with clothing at all.

Might need to get myself one of those real nice robes they give you at ryokan and some of the fancier sento.

Oct 26, 2017
Flight tickets booked! We're going from October 17th to November 5th. Will do five nights in Osaka, one in Kobe and Himeji, three in Hiroshima and eight in Tokyo. We're getting hotel rooms for around €70 per night so we're not aiming for the very cheapest ones. Might substitute the one in Kobe or Himeji for capsule stays just to try it.

Oct 26, 2017
Packed my bergen for the trip on Monday. Only about half full and its one of those huge military style ones. Wondering what I'll go mad and purchase when I'm there, but I'm 5'11 so Japan probably won't cater much to me with clothing at all.

Might need to get myself one of those real nice robes they give you at ryokan and some of the fancier sento.

Get a fairly nice yukata. I'm wearing one right now that I bought from a japanese store in Stockholm and it's super comfy. Looking to buy another.

Oct 26, 2017
And hotel booked! Ended up with a capsule hotel in Himeji right near the station mostly because we wanted to try it out. Otherwise fairly nice locations near Dotonbori in Osaka, near the harbour in Kobe, very central in Hiroshima and near the station in Ueno.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All,

I'm going to Japan from May 8th to the 18th. Currently trying to figure out the train passes. I take it you have to either get a 7 or a 14 day pass and not an amount in between? And should I just buy from https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/ ?

I'm from the US fyi

Separately, for our first 4 days, my girlfriend and I are deciding on exploring somewhere outside of Tokyo, as for the rest of the time we will be with a group of friends. We were hovering between two spots, Hakone and Sendai. Anyone have any advice on either of those destinations or which one would be more worthwhile in general? Note that later in the trip with the whole group we will be staying at a very expensive Ryokan in Kyoto, so I'm not sure how valuable a ryokan experience in Hakone would be.

Oct 26, 2017
Hi All,

I'm going to Japan from May 8th to the 18th. Currently trying to figure out the train passes. I take it you have to either get a 7 or a 14 day pass and not an amount in between? And should I just buy from https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/ ?

I'm from the US fyi

Separately, for our first 4 days, my girlfriend and I are deciding on exploring somewhere outside of Tokyo, as for the rest of the time we will be with a group of friends. We were hovering between two spots, Hakone and Sendai. Anyone have any advice on either of those destinations or which one would be more worthwhile in general? Note that later in the trip with the whole group we will be staying at a very expensive Ryokan in Kyoto, so I'm not sure how valuable a ryokan experience in Hakone would be.

Abroad in Japan has a ton of videos around Sendai since Chris lives there.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the dimension of the larger station lockers ? I'll have to heavily rely on these in my next trip, I'll need to be sure my bag fit in (or buy another one) I can't find information online but from what I remember, they looked standardised

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All,

I'm from the US fyi

I enjoyed both, it kind of depends what you're into, but unless you really want to chill out 4 days may be a bit long for Hakone. Sendai is a pretty good location for some day trips to places like Matsushima & Yamadera.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys!

And to be a little clearer, while we will be there four days before our friends, we weren't going to spend the whole four days outside of Tokyo, more like day 1 stay in Tokyo, day 2 leave for some place, stay at the place overnight, then come back to Tokyo. So more like a day trip/overnight stay

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
And to be a little clearer, while we will be there four days before our friends, we weren't going to spend the whole four days outside of Tokyo, more like day 1 stay in Tokyo, day 2 leave for some place, stay at the place overnight, then come back to Tokyo. So more like a day trip/overnight stay

If you both arrive and leave from Tokyo you should try to fit everything outside of Tokyo in 7 days for the 7 day JR Pass. It's a waste of money otherwise.

Also going in November ;P