• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Pedrito
I was going to go as well, but decided against it, it looks like it's only worth it if you're into temples, also i May be wrong but it looks that the main two are far apart from each other and you need to pay to enter. So for me is not worth it.

Hakone seems like a way better option as a day trip.

Thanks. Sights indeed seem to be far appart, which isn't good for a day trip. I'll probably drop it.

You can always find more things to do in Tokyo.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I think Nikko is probably worth it if you want to spend a few days there, take in the temples but seems to have some good hiking routes as well. As a day trip it does seem a bit awkward, more so in the spring and autumn when daylight hours are shorter.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Japan will expand the use of electronic customs declarations at airports to facilitate the entry of increasing numbers of inbound passengers in time for next year's Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.

The system allows passengers to submit customs declarations electronically using a smartphone app while waiting for their baggage, according to the Japan Customs.

The e-Gate system, which has already been introduced at one of the terminals at Narita airport, will be operated at New Chitose, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai and Fukuoka airports starting next spring. Naha airport in Okinawa Prefecture will also use the system by March 2021, officials said.

Under the new system, travelers are required to download the app in advance, and at the e-Gate they scan their IC passport and QR code created with the app.

More info and links to the app here:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'm back home again.
Trip was fantastic as usual.

Highlights were TGS, the metal gig I went to, mixology bar in Akasaka, and all the arcades I made a point to visit.

First time I didn't spend the whole time westside. Spent the first few days in Asakusa. I think for how I like to spend my time, (music and good Bars) it was a mistake. Westside, especially Kichijoji and shimokita are more my thing.

Also Tokyo seemed really busy, even more so than last year in october/November which I wasn't expecting considering September is supposed to be low season.

Last edited:

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I'm back home again.

Highlights were TGS, the metal gig I went to, mixology bar in Akasaka, and all the arcades I made a point to visit.

First time I didn't spend the whole time westside. Spent the first few days in Asakusa. I think for how I like to spend my time, (music and good Bars) it was a mistake. Westside, especially Kichijoji and shimokita are more my thing.

Also Tokyo seemed really busy, even more so than last year in october/November which I wasn't expecting considering September is supposed to be low season.

The last couple of weeks probably would have been extra busy as it is the rugby World Cup. Be a lot of people staying in and travelling via Tokyo.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm back home again.

tell me more about the metal gig.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
tell me more about the metal gig.

I went out to the boonies, about an hour out of Tokyo proper to see Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, a death metal band with some amazing bass. I was also a bit of a fan of the headliner Phantom Excaliver. A very good, kinda power metaly screamo group with a humorous tone.

Neither one disappointed. Even with a technical fault during Gotsu Totsu Kotsu where the guitar failed the bassist just kept rocking, if anything it made it better.

But all the band's were pretty great, I was surprised by Japanese Folk Metal a very fun party band and Helldump, a kind of hair metal parody group.

There were a couple more that wern't my thing.

Last edited:

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I went out to the boonies, about an hour out of Tokyo proper to see Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, a death metal band with some amazing bass. I was also a bit of a fan of the headliner Phantom Excaliver. A very good kinda power metaly screamo group with a humorous tone.

But all the band's were pretty great, I was surprised by Japanese Folk Metal a very fun party band and Helldump, a kind of hair metal parody group.

There were a couple more that they wern't my thing.
Oh cool. I bought one of Gotsu Totsu Kotsu's CDs at a Disk Union last time I was there.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any experiences with monthly apartment rentals? I've previously used Fontana for a six month stay several years ago, heading to japan for a month and looks like they have a minimum of two months for a full apartment. Contacted them and Sakura House just in case. Could always do the guest house route but like my own bathroom lol
Didn't realize my stay overlapped the rugby!

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
There's less than a week left till the consumption tax increase in Japan on October 1st, so if you're travelling there in the next 3 months or so you should probably order any kind of JR Pass now if you need one.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm officially redundant as of November 29th, starting to organise stuff for Jan.

So question, do I do 2 nights in Hakodate and 1 night in Noboribetsu before heading up to Sapporo from Tokyo or 1 in Hakodate and 2 in Noboribetsu?

Was thinking of doing the later, but kinda leaning towards the former now, is there much to do in Hakodate outside of the markets, great view and a few landmarks?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Heading back over for the first time in a year for the rugby. What's the go to WiFi nowadays, need to pick it up in KIX on Tuesday. Or should I go with something like Mobal?

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
So what are my options if my friend and I want to visit the Ghibli museum between Oct 3-6 and 12-15? I checked GoVoyagin and the Japanican tour but am out of luck. I hoped from checking the OT it would be easier by knowing someone there, but I asked someone I know who lives there and he said it's sold out locally too. Is there any other way I'm not aware of? I'm pretty desperate for tickets but haven't been able to find any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will be back from 03.11 - 14.11 and want to do some hiking this time too. Will start to eat my way through Osaka the first few days, but after that I would like to do the Komano Kodo. Is there a day tour for the waterfall? I will also take a look at Mt. Mitake which Mike recommended. Last four days I will be in Tokyo with a day tour to Yokohama.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
A few friends and I will be going from 10/26 - 11/9, culture day will be happening during our time there. Does anyone have any recommendations on what we should do?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
So, now the regular tax rate is 10%:

Japan's consumption tax rate was raised to 10 percent from 8 percent on Tuesday, after twice being delayed, as the government is struggling to cover ballooning social security costs stemming from the country's aging population and falling birthrate.

But the first tax hike in five years caused confusion among retailers and consumers as items such as food deemed necessary in daily lives are exempted from the change under the government's scheme aimed at minimizing its potential negative impact on spending. As a result, different rates have been introduced.

With some exceptions:
u8hTYs2.jpg

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
That's not confusing at all. So I'm guessing conbini staff will be asking constantly if we're taking food to go, and it will be cheaper to stand outside to eat.

It depends on what they choose to do :P

McDonald's Japan announced on Sept. 10 that from October its tax-included prices will be the same regardless of whether a customer eats in or takes out, in response to changes in the consumption tax rates starting that month.

Japan's major dining chains are taking a range of responses to the consumption tax hike. Companies including rice bowl eatery firm Matsuya Foods Co. and Italian chain Saizeriya Co. are keeping their prices the same and issuing a blanket tax-included price.

But other companies such as fast food chain Yoshinoya Co. and Mos Burger owner Mos Food Services Inc. will be applying the differing 8% or 10% rates of tax to their products.

Oct 25, 2017
I just come back from my trip, i used sushi-wifi to get a 4G modem, it worked really well in all areas, and it came with a battery so it lasted all day with no problem, if someone wants it, they gave me a coupon, but they didn't clarify what discount it gives, lol:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
btw: remember that if you choose the welcome suica, to not deal with the return, you can spend the remaining amount in the airport, there are candies for 100 yens, or sodas for 140 (probably now more due to the tax?), but i have 300 remaining on them, and bought that stuff to expend it =p.

Oct 25, 2017
If you get the Welcome Suica (instead of a normal Suica) there's no returns even if you got several 1000's of JPY on it.
Yep, of course, but if you plan is easy to avoid =p, i was charging from 1K at the time and was fine, and going to narita is like 1300 from shinjuku, so it should be safe.. unless you want to charge a lot in a normal one and then plan to return it.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
You're SOL. Should have booked earlier :p
I booked last month to go on the 31st of Oct. Had to stay up til 3.30am in the morning on a work night constantly refreshing the archaic website.
The old way of booking was much better where you just shot them an email way in advance with a few possible dates you might like, and they replied with what ones are available.

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of booking, I'm wondering if I should book a restaurant in Kobe in advance. Currently my first option is Genkichi and secondary options are one of the Mouriya restaurants. We'll be there on a wednesday.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I've already had to book a couple of hostels in the smaller towns for March. Theres a weird mix of hostels not taking bookings (which makes sense as its 5 months away) and a few that are down to small numbers already. Good thing is they're all free cancellation which means I can still change/amend/cancel if plans change but when I check over the weekend it came as bit of a shock. One of the hostels in Kamakura looks amazing, albeit expensive. It looks more like a spa with dorm rooms.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
JTB tickets are still available in some countries, like Canada, Australia, Germany, Spain and Italy.
Cheers, but I was fortunately successful in booking them during my late night efforts! The only way to get them here in the UK is through JTB, where they offer them as part of an extortionate tour package deal or to buy tickets directly from Lawson's website like I did.

Only 17 more days til I go. Can't effing wait!

Alright, got my pocket wifi. The process can be a bit much but given that they need to know what the rough time, airport, and to insure that it is me who picking it up I kinda get it. Now just a matter of doing the last process when I get to the airport.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, how's Aomori for an overnight stopover? Trying to think of the best way to get from Saporro to Nagoya.

I'm thinking of 3 options
Fly from Saporro to Nagoya: Fastest but will cost me more money.
Train straight from Saporro to Nagoya: Will be easy using the rail pass but it's a super long trip to do in one go.
Train from Saporro to Aomori, then next day train from Aomori to Nagoya: Splits the trip up, not sure what's worth seeing there though that can be easily done in one night.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, got my pocket wifi. The process can be a bit much but given that they need to know what the rough time, airport, and to insure that it is me who picking it up I kinda get it. Now just a matter of doing the last process when I get to the airport.

Bit much? I always had just to put in my arrival and leave date and send some data and pay the thing and then I was always able to just get to post office at the airport and receive it by showing the mail lol. Couldn't be easier.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
It's great. Can check out the Nebuta Museum in the afternoon and get the Nokke-don at Furukawa Fish Market in the early morning before you leave.
OK I'll do that, so plan at this point is looking like the follow

Tokyo: 03/01 to 10/01
Hakodate: 10/01 to 12/01
Noboribetsu: 12/01 to 13/01
Sapporo: 13/01 to 20/01
Aomori: 20/01 to 21/01
Nagoya: 21/01 to 26/01
Fukuoka: 26/01 to 28/01
Hiroshima: 28/01 to 30/01
Osaka: 30/01 to 03/02

A lot more moving around than the last 2 times but I really want to spend more time out of Tokyo and Osaka and see more of the countryside.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
OK I'll do that, so plan at this point is looking like the follow

Tokyo: 03/01 to 10/01
Hakodate: 10/01 to 12/01
Noboribetsu: 12/01 to 13/01
Sapporo: 13/01 to 20/01
Aomori: 20/01 to 21/01
Nagoya: 21/01 to 26/01
Fukuoka: 26/01 to 28/01
Hiroshima: 28/01 to 30/01
Osaka: 30/01 to 03/02

A lot more moving around than the last 2 times but I really want to spend more time out of Tokyo and Osaka and see more of the countryside.

That's a lot of Hokkaido winter time, I'm interested to hear what you think.

I went this year (April) and boy was it miserable lol. I mean it was Japan so it was still great but man it was cold as fuck (my understanding was that it was kind of a rough an late winter this year in general going by the late cherry blooming season) and generally everywhere I went people where like "LOL why would you come her on vacation haha"

If you really wanna go countryside check out the ramen shop in Horokanai and ask the dude if he remembers the two westerners and a funny google translate conversation lol

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of Hokkaido winter time, I'm interested to hear what you think.

I went this year (April) and boy was it miserable lol. I mean it was Japan so it was still great but man it was cold as fuck (my understanding was that it was kind of a rough an late winter this year in general going by the late cherry blooming season) and generally everywhere I went people where like "LOL why would you come her on vacation haha"

If you really wanna go countryside check out the ramen shop in Horokanai and ask the dude if he remembers the two westerners and a funny google translate conversation lol
I'm from Australia and I've never seen snow, I'm going to be freezing my fucking arse off :p

Honestly I'd rather have been there for there start of winter just as it's starting to snow but the timing on when I can go kind of worked out this way.

I just need to rug up, have all the layers and clothing and hope it'll be as good as it can be.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got two weeks blocked out in January next year for Japan, but I dunno how to divvy it up.

Initially I was thinking Tokyo for the first week, and then Kyoto for the second week. Now I'm thinking I could flip it, so the trip to the airport in the latter half of the trip is less stressful and relatively more direct from in Tokyo than coming from Kyoto. Also now I'm reading about some New Year stuff that goes down in Kyoto that could be of interest.

I know I'm way early on this by a few months but I kinda wanna get this stuff nailed down. >_>

Oct 26, 2017
Go to Kyoto first, or spend a night in Tokyo when you land and then go to Kyoto. It's much better to not have to deal with travelling far on the return day.

I'm not sure Kyoto is worth spending an entire week. I did that in 2001 and was a little bored by the end, but then again I didn't have Google at my fingertips so I couldn't find everything. You get templed out pretty quickly. I did Ryoanji, Kinkakuji and Sanjuusangendo last time. This time I will just be there a day and return to Sanjuusangendo (because it's that awesome) and go to the palace. I guess Gion and Kiyomizu-dera are also well worth visiting. Maybe three days there and then a day each in Osaka and Kobe and then back to Tokyo? That way you could get a 1 week JR Pass and cover travel. A return trip to Kyoto will be pretty expensive by itself.