• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Got to Kyoto and we hit up Fushimi inari at night.
inOYLmJ_d.jpg
I like the night atmosphere lol

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I'm heavily considering getting a JR Tokyo Wide Pass to get some fresh air and escape the fellow tourists for the 8th through 10th. Anyone got recommended towns within the pass? Something serene but still fun maybe? I was thinking Enoshima, Lake Kawaguchi, and then something else.

Going to places like Enoshima is a waste if you're using the JR Wide Pass since it's only about 2k to go there and back to Tokyo normally. Try going to Nikko or such which would cost more.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny you posted this because I just saw this posted on Youtube.

Okay, so speaking of creeping... what's up with all the gorgerous Youtube people in Japan? I guess good looks make it more likely that they get watched and become successful, but like the entire Tokyo Creative group are really good-looking (yes, the men too). Someone else I saw some videos by is literally a model.

It's also fascinating how there's a lot of good production, even if it's mixed with hand held parts. Lots of people do b-roll and drone shots and stuff. You could have an entire travel channel with this stuff.

I wish there was a culture of similar productions in other interesting locations, but maybe there is and I just haven't seen it. I don't really need more incentive to go to Japan.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Okay, so speaking of creeping... what's up with all the gorgerous Youtube people in Japan? I guess good looks make it more likely that they get watched and become successful, but like the entire Tokyo Creative group are really good-looking (yes, the men too). Someone else I saw some videos by is literally a model.

It's also fascinating how there's a lot of good production, even if it's mixed with hand held parts. Lots of people do b-roll and drone shots and stuff. You could have an entire travel channel with this stuff.

I wish there was a culture of similar productions in other interesting locations, but maybe there is and I just haven't seen it. I don't really need more incentive to go to Japan.
I've followed Michaela since I was taking Japanese in college. She used to be a model too.

I think Japan attracts creative people who are more likely to be willing to make good content.

I also have a conspiracy theory that they get funding from the Japanese government to promote tourism.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Went to KyoAni store today and man not much selection left for Euphonium/Violet Evergarden stuff :(

Leftover characters left from Euphonium were Kaori, Sapphire, and Hazuki.

How much was travel out there from Tokyo? Thinking of looking into that place...

Umm, we took a highway bus from Shinjuku station and it cost like 2k yen per person. It took us directly to the Kawaguchiko station.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions of SAS business class vs plus seats from Copenhagen to Tokyo? For this winter my wife wants to travel premium economy for more space. Possible options

SAS indirect (Heathrow - Copenhagen - narita) premium economy (SAS plus I think) - £4400 for the family

BA direct from Heathrow to narita - buy premium economy return and upgrade outbound to business class with air miles - total cost around £5.5k for the whole family (and 120k Avios)

SAS indirect (Heathrow-Copenhagen-narita). Business class both ways is about £6600 for the family

Never travelled SAS

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Also any tips for skiing in Japan? We did a few days in Gala a few years ago but this year the kids are suggesting Hokkaido which starts to get expensive. Would be around Christmas time too

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Any impressions of SAS business class vs plus seats from Copenhagen to Tokyo? For this winter my wife wants to travel premium economy for more space. Possible options

SAS indirect (Heathrow - Copenhagen - narita) premium economy (SAS plus I think) - £4400 for the family

BA direct from Heathrow to narita - buy premium economy return and upgrade outbound to business class with air miles - total cost around £5.5k for the whole family (and 120k Avios)

SAS indirect (Heathrow-Copenhagen-narita). Business class both ways is about £6600 for the family

Never travelled SAS

I think SAS has a virtual tour of some of their planes on the website. I'm flying with SAS in 26 days! Just economy though

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Also any tips for skiing in Japan? We did a few days in Gala a few years ago but this year the kids are suggesting Hokkaido which starts to get expensive. Would be around Christmas time too
Don't forget the pocket Wifi, even if skiing is mostly what you're doing. Pick it up at your hotel. It served me well in Hakuba, as the hotel Wifi was iffy. Also carried it with me while using Google Maps to find places for apres-ski.

Other than the pocket Wifi, to me skiing in Japan was very similar to skiing back at home, from a logistics standpoint. Very straightfoward. For Hokkaido next year, I plan on flying from Tokyo to the Sapporo airport (CTS), then taking a charter bus to the Rusutsu resort. If Hokkaido has as many Australians as Hakuba did, then getting ski lessons in English will be super easy.

Last edited:

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience using Line Ticket? I'm at the page where I pick how many tickets I need and add my name but I keep getting an error saying I need to put in my full name. I filled both boxes but it keeps giving an error message.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

*looks at Chris* Uhm...and I love Chris! I am still a bit sad that TheAnimeMan still works for Tokyo Creative (cause he supports Pewdiepie). There is a lot of content for many countries though. :)

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Did you do it as a day trip or did you stay there for night? Thinking of going there myself in May and not sure if one day is enough or if I should look for a place to stay.

It was a day trip for me. I had three destinations in mind chureito pagoda, shiba sakura festival and north side of lake Kawaguchi. Depending on what your plans are where you're coming from and where you're going to next a stay could actually be worth it. I did not make all three destinations because all the buses were so crowded I did a lot of walking.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Probably will do it as a day trip. As I have been to Kawaguchiko before. But crows will most likely be even worse during GW.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything we should look to do by kawaguchiko? We're going there on July 5th to a ryokan on the lake for our "Mt. Fuji" day.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Which JR Pass should I get if we're traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto? Schedule for larger train trips is:
Tokyo -> Kamakura -> Atami -> Kyoto (2 days here) -> Tokyo (2 days here). We're there a total of 7 days, but I'm confused at the pass differences and which we need to get to get from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which JR Pass should I get if we're traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto? Schedule for larger train trips is:
Tokyo -> Kamakura -> Atami -> Kyoto (2 days here) -> Tokyo (2 days here). We're there a total of 7 days, but I'm confused at the pass differences and which we need to get to get from Tokyo to Kyoto.

You mean the tourist pass JR Pass? There is 7,14 and 21 days for that and I would the one which you need for your days you travel by Shinkansen. Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Tokyo is almost paid by the 7 days pass. About the other destination i dont know how expensive they are. Kamakura shouldnt be that expensive i guess. Use Hyperdia, put in your dates and locations and you will see the prices for everything :) if you go over the costs of the pass i would buy the Pass and otherwise I would buy single tickets (well except if I would save like only 10 to 20 bucks, JR pass is very convenient). Remember that you cant take every Shinkansen with the Pass though. Nozomi, Hayabusa and Mizuho are not included

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that you cant take every Shinkansen with the Pass though. Nozomi, Hayabusa and Mizuho are not included

You can take the Hayabusa with the JR Pass actually, but not the other two, yeah.

Am going to be in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Not too sure what rail pass I should go with, Suica, Pasmo or Icoca. Any suggestions? Thanks

Suica, Pasmo and Icoca ain't rail passes. They're refillable IC travel cards.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is it bad that me and my wife arr already planning our next trip to Japan, three weeks before we go on the first one?:p

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the "pre-order" Ghibli tickets on Voyagin after reading great reviews on them from Reddit and Google and they said they would contact me by mid April when they had secured my tickets. I sent them a message yesterday asking for an update and I still haven't heard from them and it's already the 16th. Has anyone used them before? What should I expect?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Japan need to stop wrapping literally every single thing in some sort of plastic. It's terrible. What's up with feeling so connected to nature and shit when it comes to that?

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan need to stop wrapping literally every single thing in some sort of plastic. It's terrible. What's up with feeling so connected to nature and shit when it comes to that?

Can you give some examples of things unnecessarily wrapped in plastic? The umbrellas are the main things that come to mind for me.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you give some examples of things unnecessarily wrapped in plastic? The umbrellas are the main things that come to mind for me.

Every time in Japan:

I get a bag for my bag when I buy clothes
Food which is wrapped in layers, like you buy some cookies and they are all individually wrapped
Things are wrapped in plastic which don't need it

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time in Japan:

I get a bag for my bag when I buy clothes
Food which is wrapped in layers, like you buy some cookies and they are all individually wrapped
Things are wrapped in plastic which doesn't need it

Oh right, I don't buy many clothes in Japan excluding shoes, and most of the time I eat at restaurants when I am there so I clearly missed these. That's surprising to me!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh right, I don't buy many clothes in Japan excluding shoes, and most of the time I eat at restaurants when I am there so I clearly missed these. That's surprising to me!

I mean even Bananas are wrapped. Everything is wrapped, but I can see someone missing it if they don't visit any stores and eat at restaurants. It's a really big problem imo.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's nuts! Yeah, I didn't buy groceries or anything when I was over there so I had no idea. I did see a few markets with fruits but I wasn't the one purchasing them, so I guess one of the people I traveled with unwrapped them. That's so damn wasteful, jeez.

I did note, however, that I had to say "no, it's okay" when they tried to bag a single bottle of water at every 7-11 or FamilyMart I visited.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I just had that Teriyaki McD. Kinda underwhelming but try it if you get a chance it's not bad. Also they took the usual McD paper bag and put it in a plastic bag for takeout lol.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't win my tickets for the Chrono Cross concert, which kinda defeats the purpose of going that specific time. But oh well, flights are booked so we're going. It's not like there's a shortage of things to do.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Buy a Hobonichi Techo (a fancy diary/journal) and be blown away by the amount of wrapping.

The paperback journal, the cloth bound journal cover, the clear plastic protector for the cover itself ("cover-cover"), the pen, the unique dice gift, all came individually wrapped, then altogether packaged together like twice over. I'm chuckling now thinking back at how the cover-cover came wrapped.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to filter (either on hyperdia or google maps) the nozomi and mizuho trains out of your search?

Since I can't use those they're largely worthless lol

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to filter (either on hyperdia or google maps) the nozomi and mizuho trains out of your search?

Since I can't use those they're largely worthless lol

Yes, on hyperdia uncheck the NOZOMI / MIZUHO / HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN) under more options/detail.

Remember to not uncheck it if you're taking hayabusa though :p