• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Finished up our Kansai part yesterday. Went to Himeji then back to Osaka for a good bye lunch. Then went to Omi Jingu for some Chihayafuru lol. Got some chihayafuru souvenirs and some pictures with the character stands. Sorry Mike, wish we could have met up but alas.

Now we're back in Tokyo and we might go for one last daytrip to Nikko before we leave on the 23rd. Aside from that I think it's shopping time.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I got the "pre-order" Ghibli tickets on Voyagin after reading great reviews on them from Reddit and Google and they said they would contact me by mid April when they had secured my tickets. I sent them a message yesterday asking for an update and I still haven't heard from them and it's already the 16th. Has anyone used them before? What should I expect?

I bought my April tickets with them few months ago. They didn't confirm by tickets until 21/03 so hopefully you've been lucky since you posted or you'll have to wait until Monday/Tuesday.

Anyone have yakiniku recommendations around Ginza or Tokyo in general?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't left yet but might have just got my Suica cards stolen from my apartment building. Had to file a case with FedEx then called the company I ordered from begging if they could help me out. Leaving Thursday morning...

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Haven't left yet but might have just got my Suica cards stolen from my apartment building. Had to file a case with FedEx then called the company I ordered from begging if they could help me out. Leaving Thursday morning...

I thought you just got the cards out of machines at train stations. At least that's what i've always done.
Unless you have already loaded them up with funds not having a card on arrival isn't probably a big deal.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Just buy the Suica in Japan at every machine. Sucks though if you had funds on it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Thanks to this thread I went on a tangent finding places I want to visit in Japan when I should be going to bed.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got everything I wanted reserved and the itinerary made with a lot of help from this thread. I'm so excited to leave but thank you guys so much for all the help! I'll post an album when I get back.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where is the best place for change money?

I would suggest using a credit card and getting money from a 7/11 ATM, but if you have to exchange money I heard that M changer is suppose to be good near Tokyo Station. Otherwise Shibuya also has lots of good exchange stores. But maybe someone has something better.

Pungza

Oct 27, 2017
Going to Japan in September, not best time with the weather but starting to put together itinerary. Anything which should add/change. Or any food places should hit up -

Code:
Sat    7/9/19     Tokyo                   Arrive
Sun    8/9/19     Tokyo                   Shibuya - Yoyogi - Meiji
Mon    9/9/19     Tokyo                   Odaiba - Borderless
Tue    10/9/19    Tokyo                   Asakusa - Sensoji - Ueno
Wed    11/9/19    Tokyo                   Tsukiji Outer Market - ??
Thu    12/9/19    Tokyo                   Shinjuku - Gyoen - Government Building
Fri    13/9/19    Tokyo > Hakone          Lake Ashi - Onsen
Sat    14/9/19    Hakone >Kyoto           Nishiki - ?
Sun    15/9/19    Kyoto                   Yamazaki Distillery - Philosophers Path?
Mon    16/9/19    Kyoto                   Fushimi Inari - Higashiyama
Tue    17/9/19    Kyoto                   Nara
Wed    18/9/19    Kyoto                   Arashiyama - Kinkaku-ji - Ryoan-ji
Thu    19/9/19    Kyoto                   Osaka Aquarium - Dotonbori
Fri    20/9/19    Kyoto > Hiroshima       Himeji
Sat    21/9/19    Hiroshima               Miyajima - Mt Misen
Sun    22/9/19    Hiroshima > Kanazawa    Peace Park/Museum
Mon    23/9/19    Kanazawa                Omicho Market - Kenrokuen
Tue    24/9/19    Kanazawa                Shirakawago
Wed    25/9/19    Kanazawa>Tokyo          ??
Thu    26/9/19    Tokyo                   Kamakura?
Fri    27/9/19    Tokyo                   Leave

Could probably flesh out Tokyo days bit more. As weather will be hot/humid/wet don't want to plan too much for days and find I'm too exhausted

Thinking of getting 14 days JR pass and activating on 13/9, or could get 7 day and use on 20/9.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I would suggest using a credit card and getting money from a 7/11 ATM, but if you have to exchange money I heard that M changer is suppose to be good near Tokyo Station. Otherwise Shibuya also has lots of good exchange stores. But maybe someone has something better.

Thanks, I wanted to say to get money (from an ATM), but idk why I've said to exchange...
Thanks!!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Thanks, I wanted to say to get money (from an ATM), but idk why I've said to exchange...
Thanks!!
If your bank offers low or no foreign transaction fees, bring as little yen as you're comfortable with and get everything from an ATM. Since exchange places primary business is to change money from one currency to another, they will try to do so in a way that maximizes profits as much as possible. If your bank has foreign transaction fees, consider getting a different bank.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Got a bit emotional when I was dropping off my portable WiFi in the Narita post office box lol. He's been a really good friend for the past three weeks we've been here.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun if you're visiting Osaka at the end of June or have to go to KIX :p

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/23/national/hanshin-expressway-closed-four-days-g20/

The Osaka Prefectural Police said Monday that it will close almost all major sections of the Hanshin Expressway for up to four days for the June 28-29 Group of 20 summit.

The police will also impose limits on other roads and conduct checks near hotels and venues. The public is being asked to refrain from using their vehicles in and near restricted areas during the period.

Automobile traffic to and from Kansai International Airport, also in Osaka Prefecture, is also expected to face disruption during the summit period.

The police are asking people to reach the airport by using trains instead of buses or their own vehicles.

As inspections and security checks at the airport are expected to be heavy, passengers should arrive at the airport early, according to the police.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Hi!
We want to go from Kyoto to Koyasan. I've seen that the fastest and easiest way is through Osaka and there take the World Heritage Ticket, but we're totally lost with Osaka' stations.
We have the JRP and we want to take a train included in the JRP to go to Osaka but we don't know where did the train go, to Osaka Station or Shin Osaka.

Because of that we don't know how to get to the next station in our route (Osaka Namba).

aOlafsson

Oct 27, 2017
Hi!
We want to go from Kyoto to Koyasan. I've seen that the fastest and easiest way is through Osaka and there take the World Heritage Ticket, but we're totally lost with Osaka' stations.
We have the JRP and we want to take a train included in the JRP to go to Osaka but we don't know where did the train go, to Osaka Station or Shin Osaka.

Because of that we don't know how to get to the next station in our route (Osaka Namba).

You can just take the shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin Osaka. Thats included in the JRP. Then Midosuji from Shin Osaka to Namba.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
6 hours left until I start my trip back to Japan. Even though it wasn't that long ago I was there (October) I have missed it so much. This time we won't be traveling around, just staying 14 days in Osaka, gonna feel much less stressful not having to worry about what train to catch and stuff to get to the next destination. We will be staying very central as well, 5 minute walk from Dotonbori.

We will literally go from the airport to the closest Ichiran when we get there, I need that ramen inside me. :D

Nah.

I booked a trip for November almost immediately after getting back a month ago. If you have a problem, I have a problem and I definitely don't have a problem. 👀

My buddy and I did pretty much the same. We got back home and then started talking about going back again in the spring and now here we are.
When we booked the flights and stuff we had no idea GW was at the same time. But this time we are going there to go out drinking and shit with 2 people we know there, so it being more lively during the night will just be fun.

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Planning on maybe going back in June, any recommendations for where to find vegetables or meals with vegetables in Japan? Seemed like something that was kinda difficult last time I was there, but maybe I was being totally oblivious.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Planning on maybe going back in June, any recommendations for where to find vegetables or meals with vegetables in Japan? Seemed like something that was kinda difficult last time I was there, but maybe I was being totally oblivious.

You mean vegetarian meals? Or just meals with vegetables? The second one is everywhere and your post confuses me. If you need vegetables with your food (which most of it should come with...) then you can just scream YASAI and they will show you vegetables.

I mean I wouldn't even know how to get meals without vegetables except for fast food chains lol

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that I looked into a lot of restaurants and there weren't many meals that were 50% vegetables or more unless I kept looking. Usually vegetables or salad items seemed to be used as dressing for meals that consisted primarily of meat and rice.

Maybe I was looking at the wrong places, the people I traveled with despised actually looking for good cuisine and would get bored and just walk into the first place with an English menu. Anytime we ate at a nice place that had a really varied range of dishes, I had to drag them in.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean that I looked into a lot of restaurants and there weren't many meals that were 50% vegetables or more unless I kept looking. Usually vegetables or salad items seemed to be used as dressing for meals that consisted primarily of meat and rice.

Maybe I was looking at the wrong places, the people I traveled with despised actually looking for good cuisine and would get bored and just walk into the first place with an English menu. Anytime we ate at a nice place that had a really varied range of dishes, I had to drag them in.

Well you definitely were around with the wrong crowd. Also you won't have any problems going to restaurants that only have japanese menues. Just ask "Nani o o susumedesu ka" (What do you recommend?) if you don't want to use Google Translate photo feature to translate it yourself. I always got some great vegetable meals there. Also two weeks to go and I will finally eat great food again lol

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

You should check out Shania in Meguro. It doesn't have an English menu but it should be easy enough to plan out what you want in advance.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
As some people here will also be in Tokyo next week. Anyone want to meet up? Want to eat some Shabu Shabu again. But as I am travelling alone this time that would not feel right.

Will be staying in Asakusa. My schedule is pretty open.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Me and my wife are leaving in two weeks. It's my birthday and we saw Avengers yesterday but all wr can think about is Japan haha.

We'll be in Tokyo May 10th-13th, Kyoto 13th-18th, Osaka 18th-23rd and Tokyo again 23rd-31st. If anyone wants to do a meetup or anything we would be happy to try and squeeze it in (most likely in the second Tokyo stint)

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Currently in Tokyo on my sixth visit. Never gets old, although I always underestimate the impact of essentially hiking all day in 100% humidity has on my body.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
As some people here will also be in Tokyo next week. Anyone want to meet up? Want to eat some Shabu Shabu again. But as I am travelling alone this time that would not feel right.

Will be staying in Asakusa. My schedule is pretty open.
Sure my friend and I are staying near Asakusa too. My flight to NRT is in a few hours

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm flying with SAS in two weeks. Problem is that their pilots are entering a strike in 40 minutes. They are far from each other in negotiations and there was a strike as late as 2016.

By all reason a strike should not last 2 weeks but I'm afraid of anything ruining this trip atm.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Anyone got a lead on best places in Tokyo for rare VG Soundtrack CD's?
Am in town for 36 hours & have been tasked with looking for a copy of this:
https://www.discogs.com/Koji-Kondo-ゼルダの伝説-Sound-Drama/release/1810052
There's a place in Nakano Broadway that specializes in anime and video game soundtracks.Otherwise, BEEP! has a decent video game soundtrack section. I can't think of anywhere else right now.

Edit: will you be in Osaka at all? The best place I can think of is Retro Game Revival in DenDen Town.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. Do you know any website with a comprehensive schedule list of events such as concerts, expositions, etc? It's ok if it's in Japanese.
Also I'm considering going to Fukuoka for a Sumo match (November tournament). Any suggestions of things to do while there? Also, I'm open to suggestions in general for things to to see and do while in Japan (this will be my 4th trip).

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Hi everyone. Do you know any website with a comprehensive schedule list of events such as concerts, expositions, etc? It's ok if it's in Japanese.
Also I'm considering going to Fukuoka for a Sumo match (November tournament). Any suggestions of things to do while there? Also, I'm open to suggestions in general for things to to see and do while in Japan (this will be my 4th trip).

I use
Tokyo Gig Guide http://www.tokyogigguide.com/en
Time Out Tokyo https://www.timeout.com/Tokyo
and the Japan Times event section pretty good https://www.japantimes.co.jp/events/

But I'm restricted to English sources.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
My friend has been able to get back on board with my trip between September 11 to 18 September.
My shortest trip so far. Japan has become the new yearly trip for me.
Now we need to decide on Air B&B for the first four days. I've always stayed in west Tokyo. This time Im considering staying elsewhere. Maybe Asakusa.
Anyone have a preference?

The last three nights I'm staying at the Otani. They treated me amazingly last time so I thought Id stay there again.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend has been able to get back on board with my trip between September 11 to 18 September.
My shortest trip so far. Japan has become the new yearly trip for me.
Now we need to decide on Air B&B for the first four days. I've always stayed in west Tokyo. This time Im considering staying elsewhere. Maybe Asakusa.
Anyone have a preference?

The last three nights I'm staying at the Otani. They treated me amazingly last time so I thought Id stay there again.

I quite liked my stay at Ueno Park. Wasn't too far from the yamanote line, but if you're hitting up Shibuya and Shinjuku frequently I suppose the train trip would be a little inconvenient. Nice and close to Akihabara though!

Honestly I've also stayed in the shibuya area twice and it's just so nice that I would still stay there if I had a choice.

Granholme

Oct 27, 2017
There's a place in Nakano Broadway that specializes in anime and video game soundtracks.Otherwise, BEEP! has a decent video game soundtrack section. I can't think of anywhere else right now.

Edit: will you be in Osaka at all? The best place I can think of is Retro Game Revival in DenDen Town.

Huge thanks for the tip off re: Nakano - took me ages to figure out which bit of Mandrake had soundtracks but walked up & saw it in the window

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use
Tokyo Gig Guide http://www.tokyogigguide.com/en
Time Out Tokyo https://www.timeout.com/Tokyo
and the Japan Times event section pretty good https://www.japantimes.co.jp/events/

But I'm restricted to English sources.
For concerts I like Eventernote as it also has listed lots of events for small bands:

https://www.eventernote.com/events/
Thank you! I'm sure these will prove to be very useful.