• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Shinjuku station? and did the trip take long to get there?

In any case thanks for the feedback, I'm excited!

You're welcome! You're going to have a great time.

The trip was pretty quick, it was a really good day trip. I did not visit an onsen, doesn't interest me, but I did pretty much everything else there.

It's probably the most tourist friendly place I have ever been to.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ok, so I just saw this video about this bar in Tokyo....

It has to be seen to be believed, but do adhere to Sharla's warnings, if you are sensitive to some... Obscene behaviour or have children nearby, don't look.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Buuh am suppose to fly to Narita right now but our first flight had one hour delay and now we can only fly tomorrow from Viena :( sucks to lose one day when we are only 9 days there (or 8 now) also have to change Hostels and hotels now uuhh, I need my lawson sandwich

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is how ya use the JR Pass ;P

(a dozen or so other shinkansen and limited express trains I used non-reserved)

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone is going to Fushimi Inari, go at night.

However, don't go during a cataclysmic thunderstorm. We made that mistake in September, and had to hide out in a temple building for a half hour before it was safe to walk back down.

That's some impressive train travel there Mike. Puts our Tokyo - Nagano - Kanazawa - Kyoto - Osaka - Tokyo trip to shame.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really considering bringing back a carton of strong zero during my next trip. I miss that shit so much

Blackquill

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'm going to Japan around this september to end january as a student and planning to book a dorm there (near the Waseda University), has someone already did something like this here ? I searched a little bit but there are so many things that I don't understand (like this http://prntscr.com/nnafsn what's the entrance fee, what's the difference with the dorm fee...), so if anyone has advice on it I would be glad to hear it, thanks !

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'm going to Japan around this september to end january as a student and planning to book a dorm there (near the Waseda University), has someone already did something like this here ? I searched a little bit but there are so many things that I don't understand (like this http://prntscr.com/nnafsn what's the entrance fee, what's the difference with the dorm fee...), so if anyone has advice on it I would be glad to hear it, thanks !

Probably more fitting for this thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/japan-era-ot-we-all-お箸上手-and-日本語ペラペラ-in-here.1621/

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Anybody have any experience with the Wi-Fi Rental Store linked in the OP?

I placed an order for one of the units on the 8th of this month for pickup on the 20th. Then I went and tried to grab my Tokyo Disneyland ticket but my card was declined due to suspicious activity.

I checked my online card transactions and the Wi-Fi Rental Store one was showing as pending. I called my card company and they whitelisted Disney and I successfully bought the ticket.

Now, though, checking my transactions and my recently-arrived statement, there's no mention of Wi-Fi Rental Store. I tried emailing them to confirm everything was okay on my side because I didn't seem to be billed for it, and they replied "As informed by the confirmation email, your order was accepted validly."

If worse comes to worse, are there any places for renting a Wi-Fi unit within Haneda? I just want to make sure I'm not flying blind when I arrive. :(

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any experience with the Wi-Fi Rental Store linked in the OP?

If worse comes to worse, are there any places for renting a Wi-Fi unit within Haneda? I just want to make sure I'm not flying blind when I arrive. :(

Yes. Never had any problems like yours :P

There's places where you can rent stuff yeah, but they're much more expensive than ordering online.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Never used that store before. Only global adavnaced in the past and recently ivideo. Never had any problems. Maybe rent one from ivideo. They are cheaper than the options at the airport.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on bringing two cases of Strong Zero back to Aus on this upcoming trip. I already understand the import rules here, but I was wondering where I would even buy cases (between 12-24 cans) of Strong Zero? I guess at the alcohol section of a large Don Quixote?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are other places but I distinctly remember seeing them at the Mega DonKi in Shibuya

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Should also be able to get them at supermarkets. But Don Quijote may be the cheaper option anyway.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
About to have my first Domino's pizza ever, in Kyoto of all places. Been wandering around all day, aoi matsuri, kinkakuji and two more temples and nothing local was open yet. Will check out a local yakitori place for dinner.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I've been considering a trip sometime this year, so once I saw a cheap flight alert to Tokyo I jumped. With a week in Japan I'm trying to figure out how to best use my time. Should I stay in Tokyo? Is splitting time in Kyoto better? Can I fit in Disneyland? I have till November to figure things out but I already can't wait.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So. I might want to end up brining home even more stuff than 4 suitcases can hold. Does anyone have experience with sending a box home from Japan? Do I just find a post office and ask for help? Do they sell boxes or do I have to get one myself?

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
You can buy boxes at post offices. You also have to include a list of all the items you are sending. So packing it in the post office may be a good idea.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy ya'll, I was hoping to get some recommendations for off-the-beaten-path type stuff to do in Tokyo? My SO and I have done most of the big touristy things in Tokyo and are looking for things you wouldn't necessarily find on "Top things to do in Tokyo!" type lists.

Any little unique experiences/sights/stores/restaurants that you would recommend? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Howdy ya'll, I was hoping to get some recommendations for off-the-beaten-path type stuff to do in Tokyo? My SO and I have done most of the big touristy things in Tokyo and are looking for things you wouldn't necessarily find on "Top things to do in Tokyo!" type lists.

Any little unique experiences/sights/stores/restaurants that you would recommend? Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Maybe try to check this little book. It (the German version) was a tremendous help for us to discover some not so well known places. Of course there's some duds and like a quarter of it are still on the more touristy side, but it's a neat little companion (and you get a few more tipps in the directions to each of these sights, like if there's some important temple on the way).

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Something for Disney fans then:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ouse-shinkansen-hits-the-rails-in-kyushu.html

A special six-car Mickey Mouse-themed shinkansen bullet train has begun serving southwestern Japan's Kyushu region, with images of the beloved character splashed across its yellow livery and interiors.

Festooned with various images of the iconic Walt Disney Co. character, the train is scheduled to run between Hakata Station in Fukuoka and Kagoshima-Chuo Station until late November.

Limited-edition Mickey Mouse shinkansen souvenirs, such as notebooks, pins, and key rings, are available aboard.

Passengers can check https://www.jrkyushu-wakuwaku.jp for schedules and other details.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Well, y'all are right. I'm over here trying to book a ticket back. Had a good time and didn't spend nowhere near as much money as i saved ($2400)

Mar 15, 2018
Hey Era,

I'm going to Osaka in June but I'll only be there for 5 days. I'd like to see a bit more of the country than just Osaka though, and I had been thinking about spending a few days in Tokyo. But because the trip is so short I don't want to spend too much of it travelling and I don't think I could afford domestic flights, only buses/trains.

Would you recommend splitting the trip up and going to Tokyo for a few days, or possibly even a closer city like Kyoto or Nara instead? What about a day trip?

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka - Tokyo is "only" ~3h via train. So if you really want to see it, going there does not take too much time.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
So Japan flights RT are ridiculously cheap this Fall, so it looks like I'm going with a friend. $620 RT from Boston, holy shit.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...seekers-spur-japan-tourism-april-record-high/

The number of foreign visitors to Japan in April rose 0.9 percent from a year earlier to 2,926,700, marking a record high for any month, government data showed Tuesday.

The increase was partly due to European, American and Australian tourists who took advantage of the Easter vacation, which started in April this year, as well as the result of effective promotion of the country's cherry blossoms by the tourism industry, explained the Japan Tourism Agency.

But growth in the number of Asian visitors was dented by concerns over the surging cost of airplane tickets and over congestion in tourist spots by domestic travelers caused by the 10-day Golden Week vacation beginning in late April.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense with the Aussie tourists. Flights to Japan from here are fairly short, cheap and the country is incredible. I'm being quite literal when I say that every single one of the 10-20 people I hang out with on occasion have visited at least once in the last 4 years or have flights booked to visit at some point throughout this year.

Wasp

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, trying to plan a 14 day itinerary from Tokyo and then returning back to Tokyo ( I will also be spending a week in Tokyo) using the 14 day JR pass. Also I'll be going in the summer.

My rough idea is to do the following in this order:

Tokyo - 7 nights
Mt Fuji - Kawaguchiko (and/or Hakone???) - 2 nights?
Kyoto - 3 nights?
Osaka - 2 nights?
Hiroshima - 2 nights?
Miyajima - 1 night?
Kanazawa - 2 nights?
Takayama - 2 nights?
Tokyo - 1 night

How does this look? Is the 14 day JR pass likely to pay off?

Are there any obvious places along this route that I'm missing?
Likewise are there any places on this list that are not too essential that I could skip?

I would prefer not to spend too long in each place as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get bored. But neither do I want to feel too rushed either.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, trying to plan a 14 day itinerary from Tokyo and then returning back to Tokyo ( I will also be spending a week in Tokyo) using the 14 day JR pass. Also I'll be going in the summer.

My rough idea is to do the following in this order:

Tokyo - 7 nights
Mt Fuji - Kawaguchiko (and/or Hakone???) - 2 nights?
Kyoto - 3 nights?
Osaka - 2 nights?
Hiroshima - 2 nights?
Miyajima - 1 night?
Kanazawa - 2 nights?
Takayama - 2 nights?
Tokyo - 1 night

How does this look? Is the 14 day JR pass likely to pay off?

Are there any obvious places along this route that I'm missing?
Likewise are there any places on this list that are not too essential that I could skip?

I would prefer not to spend too long in each place as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get bored. But neither do I want to feel too rushed either.

I'd say 3-4 days at the start in Tokyo and 3-4 days at the end for Tokyo. Then you only need the 1 week JR pass. JR pass for one solid week in Tokyo is a huge waste of money.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'll be going in the summer.

Good luck with that :P

Kyoto and Osaka is close enough that you could just stay in one place and take daytrips to the other. Dunno if you need 2 nights in Hiroshima or Takayama. Depends on what you're doing there. You should probably stop by Himeji Castle on your way to or from Hiroshima/Miyajima as well, but no need to stay there for the night. Other than that it seems fine.

I'd say 3-4 days at the start in Tokyo and 3-4 days at the end for Tokyo. Then you only need the 1 week JR pass. JR pass for one solid week in Tokyo is a huge waste of money.

They're spending 14-ish days outside of Tokyo and 7 in Tokyo :P

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even our return flight was horrible. Japanese workers at airports are really horrible and showed me the true horror of their work culture. In the end we managed to find a good return flight ourself and we did their job. We were rebooked 5 times and it was just horrible.

The 7 days in Japan ( 1,5 Tokyo, 2 Kyoto, 2 1/2 Osaka and a day in Onomichi) were nice though like always - just a bit stressful and my female travelmate got problems with her face (and they lost her luggage on arrival so she received it days later in the Kyoto Hostel...) and ilness didn't help so Shimanami Kaido was canceled. Still managed to see a lot of new things in those few days, but stupidly I didn't think as much about my interests than hers which bums me out a bit at the end. I miss Osaka food and the awesome weather. T_T