• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys, as a student going on a exchange, I cannot get a JR pass for travelling. I saw the Bus pass but I wonder if there are any other options for travelling around the country with other means (I plan to travel mostly the first 2 weeks during my stay). Thank you

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys, as a student going on a exchange, I cannot get a JR pass for travelling. I saw the Bus pass but I wonder if there are any other options for travelling around the country with other means (I plan to travel mostly the first 2 weeks during my stay).

There's cheap flights...

Or pay full price for the shinkansen of course :P

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
Hello, Japan travel ERA! I'm going to Japan a second time at the end of October. We don't have any concrete plans yet, so I would love to get some ideas about where to do and what to do.

Last time we went, we stayed in Tokyo for more or less a week and travelled to some surrounding areas (Nikko, Kamakura), then stayed at Kyoto and travelled from there to Osaka, Okunoshima, took a 2 day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima, then travelled to Hakone and stayed at a nice ryokan there for couple days and then came back to Tokyo for couple days.

I know my friend wanted to go to fox village and the cat island around the same parts, Tashirojima I believe. Since we'll be probably going more North this time, maybe worth going to Hokkaido this time round? There were a few places we didn't go last time because we ran out of time like Nagoya and Takayama...missed Nara as well when we were staying at Kyoto and Kobe. Will probably want to stay at some nice ryokan this time round as well for couple days. We climbed the mountain at Miyajima, the scenery was really good, I enjoy that kind of content. Maybe somewhere you can hire some bikes and cycle around?

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a ryokan/onsen recommendation around Mt Fuji (no tattoo worries here)? My wife and I are planning a mid-April trip and we've never been to this area. Actually we skipped the onsens completely last time, so it will be a different experience. I've got a bunch of points to offset the cost of everything else, so wouldn't mind splurging a bit on this for one night. Thanks as always!

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a ryokan/onsen recommendation around Mt Fuji (no tattoo worries here)? My wife and I are planning a mid-April trip and we've never been to this area. Actually we skipped the onsens completely last time, so it will be a different experience. I've got a bunch of points to offset the cost of everything else, so wouldn't mind splurging a bit on this for one night. Thanks as always!

Around Fuji? Is Hakone too far away? I'm going to one in Hakone in about 16 days, I'll let the thread know how it is then

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Around Fuji? Is Hakone too far away? I'm going to one in Hakone in about 16 days, I'll let the thread know how it is then

Yeah, preferably closer! Fuji Five Lakes region is what I'm after, with Fujikawaguchiko seemingly the easiest to access for an overnight visit.

I'm jealous you're going so soon.! Have a great time and I'd still love to hear impressions of Hakone.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, preferably closer! Fuji Five Lakes region is what I'm after, with Fujikawaguchiko seemingly the easiest to access for an overnight visit.

I'm jealous you're going so soon.! Have a great time and I'd still love to hear impressions of Hakone.

Will do, first time I'm going to Hakone and luckily this is another solo trip, so should be nice and relaxing haha. Don't think the cablecar will be operating when I'm there but that's fine.

TomPUH

Oct 30, 2017
I've booked a 10 day trip to Tokyo (likely spending one in Kyoto) in November and only just now found this thread, fantastic op, OP. I've got reading up to do!

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A week and a half before my 2 week trip. Starting in fukuoka then going hiroshime>osaka>kyoto>kawaguchiko>tokyo.

I'm very excited. And nervous.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Creating an itinerary for a trip that is 2 & a half weeks long is challenging, as there are so many places I want to see, but time is the major factor, so I will probably have to push some stuff off for a future second trip out there.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Creating an itinerary for a trip that is 2 & a half weeks long is challenging, as there are so many places I want to see, but time is the major factor, so I will probably have to push some stuff off for a future second trip out there.
Yeah I went last year for 2 weeks and am going back this september for another 2 weeks. List of things to check out is already packed.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I went last year for 2 weeks and am going back this september for another 2 weeks. List of things to check out is already packed.

Very cool! Any tips for arranging an itinerary that is doable without going overboard? I'm concerned that I may have more on my plate than I can handle, but I just don't know. Understanding the transportation system in Japan so that I can nail down times and such is definitely a battle, but I'm slowly getting it down.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool! Any tips for arranging an itinerary that is doable without going overboard? I'm concerned that I may have more on my plate than I can handle, but I just don't know. Understanding the transportation system in Japan so that I can nail down times and such is definitely a battle, but I'm slowly getting it down.
We just stayed in Tokyo and just took trains literally everywhere, including Mt. Fuji. Just make sure to rent a mobile hotspot and just use google maps. Google maps told us what lines to take, at what times, etc. It was great. Im sure it does bus routes and stuff.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
We just stayed in Tokyo and just took trains literally everywhere, including Mt. Fuji. Just make sure to rent a mobile hotspot and just use google maps. Google maps told us what lines to take, at what times, etc. It was great. Im sure it does bus routes and stuff.

How many day trips were you able to pack in for that time frame, out of curiosity?

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
With 2 and half weeks you could do the "classic" trip and stay in Toyko and also Kyoto/Osaka. Gives you enough time to visit the cities and also do day trips.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the itinerary I have is:

[April 2nd]

Day 1: Fly out

Day 2: Arrive in Tokyo. Explore local area.

Day 3: Shibuya

Day 4: Shinjuku

Day 5: Asakusa

Day 6: Akihabara & Harajuku

Day 7: Kawagoe (Day Trip)

Day 8: Kamakura (Day Trip)

Day 9: Leave for Kyoto early in the AM. Explore Central Kyoto

Day 10: North Kyoto & Arashiyama (Bamboo Forest & Monkey's)

Day 11: Leave at 6 or 7AM for Hiroshima/Miyajima, the head back to Kyoto late that evening

Day 12: East Kyoto

Day 13: Leave early morning for a day trip in Osaka

Day 14: Leave early for a day trip in Nara

Day 15: Hakone and check-in at hostel

Day 16: Leave for Tokyo.

Day 17: Leave early morning for Nikko and spend the day there exploring. Check in at hostel

Day 18: Explore more of Nikko, then head back for a final exploration of Tokyo

Day 19: Check out and fly back home

[April 20th]

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth doing all of these day trips, but there are so many places I want to see.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A week and a half before my 2 week trip. Starting in fukuoka then going hiroshime>osaka>kyoto>kawaguchiko>tokyo.

I'm very excited. And nervous.

Yeah 9 days until my trip too dude. Don't be nervous, after the first couple days you'll see how easy stuff is and have an absolute blast.

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
Would $100 a day for 9 days be doable for tokyo/yokohama area? Just for shopping, traveling and eating? Ive already done most of the touristy stuff last time so its mostly just chilling and relaxing. I'm probably doing conveni meals for 2 out of 3 daily meals and last time it was like $3-5 per meal.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got experience with getting a package forwarded to the (Narita) airport? Or is it maybe possible to have something ordered from Amazon directly delivered to the airport? Would be a big package.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The assembly of Tokyo's Shibuya Ward approved an ordinance Wednesday banning the consumption of alcohol on some of its streets and parks during Halloween and New Year events to address an increasing number of incidents.

It calls on restaurants to refrain from serving customers alcohol, bans the use of audio equipment blasting loud noises and prohibits individuals from climbing up street lamps in areas near JR Shibuya Station, one of the capital's major entertainment districts.

There are, however, no penalties stipulated for offenders in the ordinance which comes into force Thursday.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Would $100 a day for 9 days be doable for tokyo/yokohama area? Just for shopping, traveling and eating? Ive already done most of the touristy stuff last time so its mostly just chilling and relaxing. I'm probably doing conveni meals for 2 out of 3 daily meals and last time it was like $3-5 per meal.
That was roughly my budget the first time I went. It's definitely doable.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

$100 a day... depends on what you are doing and where your going. I'd say it should be fine, but shopping might be a stretch depending what your buying. Everything else though, for sure can do that for less than a $100 a day.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So, can someone here tell me if my itinerary is good?

1. Tokyo
  2. Disneysea
  3. Kamakura
  4. Nikko
  5. Tokyo
  6. Tokyo
  7. Hakone
  8. Osaka
  9. Hiroshima
  10. Kyoto
  11. Kyoto
  12. Nara
I'm open to suggestions, even adding one more day if it would make the trip better.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
You could probably skip Kamakura and spend the extra day in either Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto.

Really? I thought it was a Japan trip essential. I'll add one more day for Osaka and reconsider what I'll do during my time in Tokyo since I already reserved the hotels and I cheapened out of getting cancellable reservation ( '-_-)

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's for people who don't have time to go all the way to Kyoto. If they only have a 1 week trip for example :P

I'm heading there on my trip next week because it's only a week long and I don't want to stray too far from Tokyo. Never been there before but I've been to Kyoto every other time.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
It depends on your definition of near.... If you have the JR pass or willing to spend the money I would suggest visit Zenkō-ji and the Hokusai museum in Nagano. Those places and surrounded areas are beautiful.

I was checking... and out of the 47 prefectures I've visited so far 34...... I need to see them all....

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
More tourists outside the central parts of Japan now too:

About 18 million foreign travelers visited regions outside of the Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka metropolitan areas in 2018, some 40 percent more than the number of travelers who visited only those metropolitan areas, an annual government report showed Friday.

The three metropolitan areas cover Tokyo and seven prefectures: Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, Aichi, Kyoto, Osaka and Hyogo.

The figure marked steady growth from the 10.2 million visits logged in 2015, according to the 2019 white paper on tourism, which was adopted at a Cabinet meeting the same day.

Of the 31.19 million foreign travelers to Japan last year, 57.7 percent visited regions outside of the three metropolitan areas, and they spent more than ¥1 trillion.

The report found that foreign travelers seeking experiences, including skiing, visiting hot springs or engaging in nature tourism, have a strong tendency to visit nonmetropolitan areas.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I were looking for video game/anime OSTs where would be good places to look? and do they have a website so I can look at their catalog beforehand? I'll be going to tokyo, osaka, kyoto, and hiroshima. Brief stop in Fukuoka.