• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
If you're landing at NRT then going to Tokyo with either the NEX or Skyliner should be fine. Storing it on the shinkansen between Tokyo and Niigata should be fine too. If you have to lug it around on local trains/subways in Tokyo itself it'll be a bit of a hassle though. If you need a bigger room then check pictures before you book anything, and stay out of hostels and capsule hotels :P

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any advice on what to do/where to stay in Tokyo the last week of December? I've only been to Japan in the summer before when it was warm enough to just walk everywhere. Hoping to do some shopping (clothes, records, maybe games), eat a lot of good food, and check out some museums.

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any advice on what to do/where to stay in Tokyo the last week of December? I've only been to Japan in the summer before when it was warm enough to just walk everywhere. Hoping to do some shopping (clothes, records, maybe games), eat a lot of good food, and check out some museums.

I'm assuming most places will be open. Just go to Akihabara and some shopping areas. Nakano would be great at that time.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. Yeah it seems like the air bnb apocalypse happened after last time I visited. There's very few non-smoking 2 person rooms anywhere.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I might make my first ever trip to Japan in either this December or Winter/Spring 2020.

Which time would make a better trip? I don't mind the cold if that's a factor.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the least amount of tourists if you go in November 2020 or something, or wait till 2021 :p

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Err... Mid to late, not miss to late.

February is SnowFes and March/April is gonna be full of sakura tourists. But there's probably gonna be lots of tourists in every month in 2020.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
hmmmm. I don't really mind tourists. We have a ton of them in NYC.

Well, things can get more expensive since cheap hotels/accommodation gets booked up earlier. If you don't mind that then sakura season in late March/early April is probably the best time to go. Should probably start searching for accommodation in September or so if you want to go then.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I need a tiny bit of help for any japanese speaker.

I try to label my goshuin book from my last trip, but I can't find romanisation of some temples in Yamadera.

Care to help a bit ?
For this hall
this one
and this last
thanks

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably better to ask in the other threads:
www.resetera.com

Japan ERA |OT| We all お箸上手 and 日本語ペラペラ in here!

Travel thread here. Kudos to bananas for the banner.

Or:
www.resetera.com

Learning Japanese • 日本語の勉強 |これはOTです| ゆっくりしていいぞ!

ようこそ!Welcome to the ResetERA Japanese Language thread! The aim is to provide: A place for people to congregate, chat, and ask questions. A place to provide feedback and input on study tools (websites, books, dictionaries and apps). A place to provide support, strategies and study methods...

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there was a fire in the Gion district of Kyoto:

A fire broke out Monday at a Japanese restaurant in a popular tourist area of Kyoto, engulfing several neighboring buildings, police said.

The fire occurred at around 9:15 p.m. at a restaurant on the main street of the geisha district of Gion, where there are numerous traditional Japanese wooden merchant houses. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

The 3 places most damaged seems to be 吉うた, which is some kind of famous old cafe, Gion Maiko and Gion Mitoko.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I need a tiny bit of help for any japanese speaker.

I try to label my goshuin book from my last trip, but I can't find romanisation of some temples in Yamadera.

Care to help a bit ?
For this hall
this one
and this last
thanks
Here you are
立石寺 如法堂(奥の院) Rissyaku-ji Nyoho-den (Oku no in)
大仏殿 Daibutsu-den (I assume this one is a part of the above, 如法堂(奥の院)?)
性相院 Seiso-in

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Currently in Osaka solo after an impromptu holiday booking since I had leave booked for another holiday that fell through. (Sri Lanka where after attacks travel insurance didn't cover)

I've been to Himeji, Kobe and Kyoto so far. Been to Nara before.
Was wondering if there's a anywhere that I should check out in Osaka itself? Or activities I should do?

Gone to the Modern art Museum, Shitennoji, Umeda Sky Garden, Kuromon Ichiba Market

I've visited a few years ago and went to the Aquarium, Abeno Harukas, Nanba, Shinsekai off the top of my head.

I'm here until Saturday morning.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in Osaka solo after an impromptu holiday booking since I had leave booked for another holiday that fell through. (Sri Lanka where after attacks travel insurance didn't cover)

I've been to Himeji, Kobe and Kyoto so far. Been to Nara before.
Was wondering if there's a anywhere that I should check out in Osaka itself? Or activities I should do?

Gone to the Modern art Museum, Shitennoji, Umeda Sky Garden, Kuromon Ichiba Market

I've visited a few years ago and went to the Aquarium, Abeno Harukas, Nanba, Shinsekai off the top of my head.

I'm here until Saturday morning.
Been to den den town? Its the electronic otaku town, little akiba of you will but without tourists and cheaper

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Been to den den town? Its the electronic otaku town, little akiba of you will but without tourists and cheaper
Yep looks like it. I walked from Umeda to near the Osaka Museum of Art and passed the road.

There was a guy offering a discount on a store but ended up just buying Gummi Sweets haha.

I'm tempted to go up Mount Rokko in Kobe tomorrow since there's a cable car. Though it looks like it will be a bit rainy. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yep looks like it. I walked from Umeda to near the Osaka Museum of Art and passed the road.

There was a guy offering a discount on a store but ended up just buying Gummi Sweets haha.

I'm tempted to go up Mount Rokko in Kobe tomorrow since there's a cable car. Though it looks like it will be a bit rainy. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

There also Mount Koya or Kinosaki if you prefer onsen

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Check out the Expo 70 park and the nearby ExpoCity mall, or the Osaka Tenmangu shrine (if you're not tired of seeing shrines) and the super long
Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Street near it. And you didn't mention Dotonbori, but I'd guess you've been there? If not, then it's a must.

Oh, and go to Uji if you're going outside of Osaka itself.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
So I do think I'm going to Tokyo during August 7th~ for Comiket and other shit. I'll be going alone and this will be my first time traveling out of the USA alone. Any advice or things I should know about? I'm a tiny bit nervous to go alone, but at the same time excited.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Any advice or things I should know about? I'm a tiny bit nervous to go alone, but at the same time excited.

Check the info in the OP and stay calm and visit Japan ;P

Oh, and check the official Comiket site:
https://www.comiket.co.jp

The system for getting in and part of the venue is different from earlier because of the Olympics. The English info hasn't been updated yet, but hopefully they'll do it soon. If not use google translate or whatever if you don't know Japanese.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Check the info in the OP and stay calm and visit Japan ;P

Oh, and check the official Comiket site:
https://www.comiket.co.jp

The system for getting in and part of the venue is different from earlier because of the Olympics. The English info hasn't been updated yet, but hopefully they'll do it soon. If not use google translate or whatever if you don't know Japanese.
Ah, I already know how I'm getting into Comiket. I recently befriended a bunch of Doujinshi artists (Touhou) who I've been talking to (in my broken Japanese LOL) almost every day since Feb. They're very cool people that for some reason don't mind an American in their Discord calls most of the time! They even sent me all their Doujins from Reitaisai (a giant Touhou-only con) in May, free of charge. Didn't even ask.

They asked me to come to Comiket and will provide me with a Circle Ticket. A circle ticket if you don't know is what sellers are given to set up their booths before the crowd comes in. My friend is giving them out to all of us (apparently this is pretty common for most sellers) so I don't need to worry about entering. I already know what day I'm going to attend, and my friends will come to Tokyo around the day before the Comiket Touhou day. I'm just a bit nervous since I'm 24 and this will be my first time outside the country alone. I know basic/somewhat intermediate Japanese and I've been practicing every day listening to convos and trying to speak. The language part isn't an issue for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
So I looked into this and did some research. The medicine I use is Zzzquil (contains diphenhydramine). From what I googled it seems legal? That's all I need to bring with me.
Should check out the Animate, Melonbooks and Toranoana stores in Akiba too then, but I guess you might already know that :P
I knew about Melonbooks (my friends took pictures of their books in there!). The others, I did not.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
How's Sumida-ku as a base for Tokyo?
I found a good deal on a tiny apartment, six minutes from Asakusa Station, on the other side of the river. At first glance, it seems like a convenient spot to get from Narita directly and also to get to Ueno for Shinkansen/Yamanote Line.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Hi guys -- I'm back again. I'm booking my trip tomorrow and just a couple of quick questions:
1. What should I acquire if I want international calling and service for my cell phone? I want to be able to call my parents. Or at least text.
2. I'll mainly be in the Tokyo area. I am flying in from NRT airport, not HND. What train pass or whatever will I need to buy? I plan to mostly stay in Tokyo but I might plan a day trip Nagano to visit a shrine.
3. If you've been to Japan alone, how was it for you? I'm going alone so I'm a bit nervous is all. But I'm excited!

Forgot to mention I'll be in Shinagawa City!

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys -- I'm back again. I'm booking my trip tomorrow and just a couple of quick questions:
1. What should I acquire if I want international calling and service for my cell phone? I want to be able to call my parents. Or at least text.
2. I'll mainly be in the Tokyo area. I am flying in from NRT airport, not HND. What train pass or whatever will I need to buy? I plan to mostly stay in Tokyo but I might plan a day trip Nagano to visit a shrine.
3. If you've been to Japan alone, how was it for you? I'm going alone so I'm a bit nervous is all. But I'm excited!

Forgot to mention I'll be in Shinagawa City!
Jus get pocket WiFi you can do all of that and more and it's pretty cheap. Jr pass is the main train most use. I went to Tokyo last year by my self and I had a blast. Now it was my second time going but I had tons of fun. Going by myself self again this year. If you get pocket WiFi it will make everything better and easier to get around and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Jus get pocket WiFi you can do all of that and more and it's pretty cheap. Jr pass is the main train most use. I went to Tokyo last year by my self and I had a blast. Now it was my second time going but I had tons of fun. Going by myself self again this year. If you get pocket WiFi it will make everything better and easier to get around and stuff.
Alright, cool. Did you ever feel scared or whatever alone in Tokyo? What'd you do -- meet friends or just travel alone? I'm planning to meet friends on my 2nd last day of my trip, so I'm just asking. Can you call from pocket wifi? When do I buy the JR pass, when I arrive? Thank you!

Also! If anyone knows any good bike routes in Tokyo, I'm all ears.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, cool. Did you ever feel scared or whatever alone in Tokyo? What'd you do -- meet friends or just travel alone? I'm planning to meet friends on my 2nd last day of my trip, so I'm just asking. Can you call from pocket wifi? When do I buy the JR pass, when I arrive? Thank you!

Also! If anyone knows any good bike routes in Tokyo, I'm all ears.
Well I grew up in a big city and work in one too so and where I'm from you I'm just use to crazy stuff lol. But Tokyo is a really safe place for the most part so being scared not at all. It was my first time traveling alone but no one didn't want or couldn't go so I said fuck it I'll go by myself I'm not wait for no one and my uncle traveled alone and he said it was awesome. Now it can be a little lonely and their are both pros and cons. I mean I would just look something up and just go. Didn't have to worry about waiting for some one and shit like that. I just did whatever I wanted and it was great. And sometimes just being by yourself is relaxing and don't have to deal with bullshit, so it's different for everyone. For me I'm not waiting for no one and I'm trying to travel even if it means I'm alone. More personal stuff lol. To my knowledge most new phones have WiFi calling now so it should be easy and having service to look up stuff and using google or apple maps is a god send just makes life easier. You can get the passes at any kiosk where u buy text for the train and it's in English too so it shouldn't be that hard. When are you going for just asking?

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Well I grew up in a big city and work in one too so and where I'm from you I'm just use to crazy stuff lol. But Tokyo is a really safe place for the most part so being scared not at all. It was my first time traveling alone but no one didn't want or couldn't go so I said fuck it I'll go by myself I'm not wait for no one and my uncle traveled alone and he said it was awesome. Now it can be a little lonely and their are both pros and cons. I mean I would just look something up and just go. Didn't have to worry about waiting for some one and shit like that. I just did whatever I wanted and it was great. And sometimes just being by yourself is relaxing and don't have to deal with bullshit, so it's different for everyone. For me I'm not waiting for no one and I'm trying to travel even if it means I'm alone. More personal stuff lol. To my knowledge most new phones have WiFi calling now so it should be easy and having service to look up stuff and using google or apple maps is a god send just makes life easier. You can get the passes at any kiosk where u buy text for the train and it's in English too so it shouldn't be that hard. When are you going for just asking?
Think I'm departing on the 5th from NJ. I'm in the same exact situation as you. My mother backed out last week and I said fuck it I'll go alone. Yeah the feeling of being by yourself and doing what you want sounds awesome. Thanks for this post!

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm departing on the 5th from NJ. I'm in the same exact situation as you. My mother backed out last week and I said fuck it I'll go alone. Yeah the feeling of being by yourself and doing what you want sounds awesome. Thanks for this post!
have fun dude and enjoy it's. If u love Anime look up Nakano Broadway. Awesome place and if u wanna see the giant gundam it's at driver city. Just a few places that are pretty cool.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

1. If you're planning to use WiFi calling, then make sure your provider supports it while abroad.
2. If you're flying both in to and out from NRT and you're visiting Nagano on a day trip, and spend the rest of the time inside of Tokyo and it's all within 14 days, then you should get this pass: https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/
Use the pass on the days you're taking the NEX from NRT to/from Tokyo and to/from Nagano + 2 other random days.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
hello all.
not visiting japan until january but was wondering if there's any logic to buying a camera (mirrorless or DSLR) whilst out there, compared to getting it in the UK? appreciate you can't really factor in any possible price fluctuations, and i'm going to be limited to in-store prices only whilst i'm there but have people had any success cost-wise with tech purchases whilst visiting? anything i need to be wary of?