• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be visiting Tokyo soon and would like to climb to the summit of Mt. Fuji, but due to other itinerary considerations I'd like like to try to go up and down (and get back to Tokyo) in one day. I know this isn't ideal and I still may end up allocating two days for this, but I wanted to weigh my options which leads to my question:

I've been browsing a couple of sites and it looks like my best bet is to take a bus from Shinjuku to the Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station. If I take the first bus I'll be able to arrive around 9:30, no problem. The issue is the trip back - the last return bus to Tokyo leaves Fuji Subaru at 17:00, far too early for me to have gotten back down from the summit. What other reasonable options, if any, would I have for getting back to Tokyo later in the day?

Wasp

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, I'll be in Tokyo soon for a week so just wondering what you suggest the must do/see things are for a thirty-something solo traveller? I'm not hugely interested in food! For example

Ghibli Musuem (already got ticket)
Mori Building
Tokyo Tower
DisneySea
Gundam Statue
Shibuya Crossing

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'll be in Tokyo soon for a week so just wondering what you suggest the must do/see things are for a thirty-something solo traveller? I'm not hugely interested in food! For example

Ghibli Musuem (already got ticket)
Mori Building
Tokyo Tower
DisneySea
Gundam Statue
Shibuya Crossing

I really liked Sensoji temple in Asakusa. Ueno Park was very nice to wander round and has some nice museums. And if you do like museums the Edo Tokyo museum is well worth a visit. It was probably my favourite of the ones I went to in Japan.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I added a thing about onsen in the OP. Check it out and see if there's any unclear bits or mistakes, and throw out suggestions if you know of any other decent onsens in central Tokyo, Kyoto or especially Osaka since I got nothing there :P

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing I could be back down by 20:00. Staying in Shinjuku.

The very last bus you can take to make it back to Shinjuku leaves the 5th station at 20:10. You'll then have to make the train at Kawaguchiko Station at 21:18 (the bus is scheduled to arrive at 20:55), then switch trains at Otsuki and Takao. You'll be back in Shinjuku between 00:00 and 00:40 depending on what trains you catch at Otsuki and Takao.

If there's lots of people waiting for the bus or there's delays or such you might be screwed.

Last edited:

des0lar

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I have planned a three week trip with some friends coming up in September.

I have most of it planned out already, but there are still some gaps to fill. So I was looking for some recommendations of some places more remote, preferably with easy access to hot springs, (but not necessarily)
I was looking at Karuizawa, Yamadera, Kurokawa.... stuff like that.

I am happy about any and all personal recommendations :) Thanks!

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, I have planned a three week trip with some friends coming up in September.

I have most of it planned out already, but there are still some gaps to fill. So I was looking for some recommendations of some places more remote, preferably with easy access to hot springs, (but not necessarily)
I was looking at Karuizawa, Yamadera, Kurokawa.... stuff like that.

I am happy about any and all personal recommendations :) Thanks!
Have you looked into the hotels around Kawaguchiko? We stayed at Hotel Konansou, and it was by far the best point of our whole trip. Worth every yen.

Deleted member 1813

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The very last bus you can take to make it back to Shinjuku leaves the 5th station at 20:10. You'll then have to make the train at Kawaguchiko Station at 21:18 (the bus is scheduled to arrive at 20:55), then switch trains at Otsuki and Takao. You'll be back in Shinjuku between 00:00 and 00:40 depending on what trains you catch at Otsuki and Takao.

If there's lots of people waiting for the bus or there's delays or such you might be screwed.

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize there were separate buses that ran later to Kawaguchiko Station.

I agree that this could be tight and I don't want to get unexpectedly trapped there. Are the climb times listed here generally accurate? - https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Which airline is a good choice to fly economy? I'm a pretty short guy so legroom isn't that big of a deal.

May 31, 2018
Does anyone have any advice on what to do/where to stay in Tokyo the last week of December? I've only been to Japan in the summer before when it was warm enough to just walk everywhere. Hoping to do some shopping (clothes, records, maybe games), eat a lot of good food, and check out some museums.
I'll be in Toyko around that time for NYE. Let me know if you want to meetup.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Which airline is a good choice to fly economy? I'm a pretty short guy so legroom isn't that big of a deal.

In Japan? Jetstar, Peach, Solaseed (more mid range honestly) and Skymark are the cheapest to get around in the country. Might be cheaper to go and return to a place with these guys than using the shinkansen in most cases.

Hitting Okinawa from Wednesday! Looking forward to it since I always wanted to go. Anyone have recommendations? Only going for 4 days and no real plan other than beach and shopping so interesting places and of course food/restaurants for one are welcome. Wish I would have planned better to hit the smaller islands around it instead of heading right back home but maybe next time.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hey everyone. Me and some friends are going to Tokyo for a week in September. Can anyone help critique our itinerary if anything? I'm still fixing and adding some stuff to make it flow. Friday, Saturday, and maybe Sunday is when we're likely doing nightlife stuff. Thanks! Itinerary

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. Me and some friends are going to Tokyo for a week in September. Can anyone help critique our itinerary if anything? I'm still fixing and adding some stuff to make it flow. Friday, Saturday, and maybe Sunday is when we're likely doing nightlife stuff. Thanks! Itinerary

A lot of your days are way too packed. Especially Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe even Tuesday depending on when you arrive at HND.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, what do you use to buy event tickets on-line? Sites like Lawson and others require a Japanese address and mobile phone.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Also for anyone traveling now/soon to the country be aware there is a heatwave in effect. Stay hydrated and take breaks from the sun while exploring/touristing

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Hankyu Corp. and Hanshin Electric Railway Co. announced on July 30 that Umeda Station in Osaka will be renamed "Osaka-umeda Station" and "Osaka Umeda Station" effective Oct. 1, respectively, in a bid to respond to a surge in foreign tourists and underline the hub station as the gateway to Osaka in western Japan.

In a related move, Hankyu Corp. will also change Kawaramachi Station on the Hankyu Kyoto Line to "Kyoto-kawaramachi Station," also on Oct. 1.

According to the two railway operators, complaints have been heard from foreign tourists that the name Umeda Station makes it difficult for them to understand it's in the heart of Osaka.

As work to change station boards will take much time, the renaming will be timed with fare raises in October in conjunction with the consumption tax hike planned for that month, according to the companies.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Gunkanjima in Nagasaki closed for tourists:

The municipal government on July 31 prohibited landing on the former coal-mining island of Hashima after levels of what is believed to be asbestos exceeding safety standards were detected.

Up to 16 fibers of fibrous material per liter of air were found at two out of three open-air spots at the World Heritage site during an inspection on July 12, according to the municipal government's tourism policy department, higher than the standard of 10.

Such inspections have been conducted roughly once a year since 2009 when the island was opened to visitors. Until the previous inspection in December 2017, asbestos had not been detected, according to an official.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
When I visited Japan in April, everything I loved about the country was away from the big cities. We moved from Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima but only spent a couple of days in each city and did day trips out of them. This was by bike, train or bus. The transport system is so good you can get out to the hills or coast in no time.
The Shimanami Kaido cycle highway is amazing, highly recommend it! (This is not to say I didn't enjoy Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima. They were great!)

I have one tip. If you visit a hill that has a cable car up to the top, don't take it! There is always a lovely hike up that is deserted. A great example is Miyajima. Everyone goes for the cable car but just head out to the east of the island and take the furthest away trail. It was deserted whilst the rest of the island was busy.

I love the county and looking to go back to in the next five years. Hopefully up to Hokkaido. Keen birdwatcher so really want to explore that area!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mike already said that it's too much, but I also want to tell you that almost every day (except for the begining I guess) is almost impossible in that time. I would rather half every day and it's still a lot to see. You also won't like going from places to places just to have seen those places. It won't be your one and only time there :) You always will want to be back at least once more so just try to get a feel for everything first.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Mike already said that it's too much, but I also want to tell you that almost every day (except for the begining I guess) is almost impossible in that time. I would rather half every day and it's still a lot to see. You also won't like going from places to places just to have seen those places. It won't be your one and only time there :) You always will want to be back at least once more so just try to get a feel for everything first.
Thanks. I'm already making a lot of changes like only doing a day trip to Mt Fuji or taking off stuff that would take too much of our time.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Found a great deal from ANA--$448 RT Vegas to Tokyo, so hubby and I booked a trip for November! Will be referring to the resources and advice y'all have listed here to come up with some ideas. I'm hafu and we'll be visiting my family, but they like us to let them know if there are specific things/places we want to see. This is trip #4 for me and #2 for him. :)

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
So with some recent going-ons in life I am strongly considering taking a trip to japan here soon, as a kind of "fuck it why not" moment. And I think I got a good handle on everything I would need to do for the trip, the one thing I'm a little unsure of is just lodging. Is there any sites or specific resources I should look into for booking that kind of stuff? I was thinking more hostel type situation (cheaper, chance of meeting other random international travelers) over a hotel personally. This would be primarily a tokyo-centric trip, with potentially a couple days out of the city to hike Mt Fuji.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So with some recent going-ons in life I am strongly considering taking a trip to japan here soon, as a kind of "fuck it why not" moment. And I think I got a good handle on everything I would need to do for the trip, the one thing I'm a little unsure of is just lodging. Is there any sites or specific resources I should look into for booking that kind of stuff? I was thinking more hostel type situation (cheaper, chance of meeting other random international travelers) over a hotel personally. This would be primarily a tokyo-centric trip, with potentially a couple days out of the city to hike Mt Fuji.

hostelworld.com , AirBnB (it's gotten better again) and Booking.com are my recommendations. Lots of good hostels for cheap (e.g. in Tokyo I can recommend Ks House - the same in Kyoto, it's exactly what you are looking for, the one in Tokyo is way smaller though.)

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Found a great deal from ANA--$448 RT Vegas to Tokyo, so hubby and I booked a trip for November! Will be referring to the resources and advice y'all have listed here to come up with some ideas. I'm hafu and we'll be visiting my family, but they like us to let them know if there are specific things/places we want to see. This is trip #4 for me and #2 for him. :)

Can't go wrong with Kyoto in Fall for some leaf views if thats your thing.