• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm going to Japan for the very first time this wednesday! I'm so incredibly excited!
I'll be in Japan from the 7th 'til the 19th of august, most of my time will be spent in Tokyo, with trips to Mt. Fuji and Nikko.
It's a guided trip, but we'll have plenty of free time.

I'm most excited about the food! So, if you have any recommendations, please let me know!
So many people have told me to try Coco Ichibanya, so I'll try that for sure.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Man, my wife and I went through our two photobooks last night from our trip last October...I fucking miss Japan so much. I can't wait to go back.

Retroid

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning a super last minute trip to Japan next month. Any time sensitive things I should be thinking about doing right now? The only thing I know of is that tickets for the Ghibli Museum need to be bought a month in advance. Anything else? I'll be there for ~2 weeks.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Ghibli tickets for next month go on sale this Friday night at 9pm eastern time. I tried last month for practice and the site was basically broken for the hour I tried it. It was fine the next morning but by then a lot of the slots were sold out.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Ghibli tickets for next month go on sale this Friday night at 9pm eastern time. I tried last month for practice and the site was basically broken for the hour I tried it. It was fine the next morning but by then a lot of the slots were sold out.

I got mine using Voyagin and it was easy. I paid like $30/ticket but if it's something you really wanna do, I would say go for it.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a chance I can buy Koda Kumi or Ayu tickets at a Loppi machine after fanclub sales? It's not the 2000s anymore but I still love them xD

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a chance I can buy Koda Kumi or Ayu tickets at a Loppi machine after fanclub sales? It's not the 2000s anymore but I still love them xD

If its a tour then yes its likely but of course always check their official stuff and see what it says instead of hoping to cop a ticket a few days before or something. Also is Ayu even active anymore lol?

Anywho.

Anyone been to Comiket? The summer one is this weekend and I got time off for the first time during one. Is it worth going to?/Is it worth sitting in a heat wave and lines that started at 5AM lol.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone been to Comiket? The summer one is this weekend and I got time off for the first time during one. Is it worth going to?/Is it worth sitting in a heat wave and lines that started at 5AM lol.

Whilst I can't say I've been before, note that they've split the locations and have a new wristband-based entry scheme this year, as opposed to having been free previously. Accursed Olympics and all that. You can either buy a paper catalogue from one of the stores that sell them (which comes with wristbands for every day included, though I gather they're getting thin on the ground at this point), buy an individual wristband at a participating store, or buy one on site.

Given buying one on-site sounds somewhat anti-fun given the number of people jostling around the thing, at least if you are early-training it, if you do want to go this weekend, maybe plan ahead a little.

(I'm sure at least a couple of other people in this thread have been to Comiket before, so I'll let them comment as to whether it's worthwhile or not)

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've been reading up on the wristband situation and watching a handful of Japanese youtubers who are big into the event talk about it. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty on this one in terms of how it will be and availability since there was not a finite number before.

Honestly not that big into manga or doujinshi etc but it kinda seemed like an interesting thing to possibly do this weekend. Only remembered the event is a thing cause a manga maker I follow on twitter will be selling there, but hes also putting it online so I might just grab it there and sit in the air conditioner haha.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody got recommendations on where best to get the more interesting kit Kat flavors other than the main kit Kat store in the Tokyo?

Also, any recommended places to bulk buy snacks without breaking the bank but have a ton of variety?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Hi guys,

I'm starting to plan a trip in Japan from July 31/August 1, 2020 to August 15, 2020 or so (I need to leave at the end of July and don't wanna miss some Olympic events).

My plan is to land in Tokyo, stay there for about a week, then go to Kyoto for a few days and then I'd like to visit Okinawa too.

Would that be feasible? Is it easy to travel to Okinawa and do you have any suggestion which island to visit? Thanks!

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Anybody got recommendations on where best to get the more interesting kit Kat flavors other than the main kit Kat store in the Tokyo?

Also, any recommended places to bulk buy snacks without breaking the bank but have a ton of variety?

Don Quijote is your answer to both. Preferrably a Mega Donki.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a site to find out visiting hours or general information on visiting the Square Enix HQ in Tokyo?

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a site to find out visiting hours or general information on visiting the Square Enix HQ in Tokyo?
Do they even have those? I mean, there's probably not much to see. It's a workplace with a TON of confidential information. At most they'd have a memorabilia section at some conference area or so.

I dropped by SNK in 2001 because I was in the neighborhood, and had the worst prepared interview ever with a confused PR rep. I'm thinking it would go something like that.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
They have the Artnia cafe and gift shop outside the building itself, but you're not getting into the HQ without some kind of appointment. You'll just get stopped by security :p

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
65% increase in international flights to Haneda starting next year then:

The government on Thursday announced a date for the introduction of new flight paths over Tokyo to increase capacity at Haneda airport in the run-up to the 2020 Olympics.

On March 29, planes will be able for the first time to descend and climb over densely populated Shibuya, Shinjuku and Shinagawa wards in central Tokyo.

The change could have a large impact on residents. Current approach and departure paths pass only over Tokyo Bay and aircraft are at high altitude when they cross built-up areas.

The new routes will increase the number of available international arrival and departure slots at Haneda from the current 60,000 to about 99,000.

By strengthening the airport's capacity for international flights, the government aims to raise the annual number of foreign visitors to 40 million by 2020.

Trials of the new routes will take place later this month, when the government will use a small aircraft to fly the paths and check airport facilities. Tests with a passenger plane will begin in late January.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... 4-5 days? Do you need some driving license to drive a scooter?

Not sure if I would recommend it without a way to use a rental car/scooter. There is a bus on the island. But that's not very convenient from what I heard. The guy running the hostel I stayed at offered a service to drive you around though. Which may be a nice thing. As he gave us lots of good spots to check out on the island.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not sure if I would recommend it without a way to use a rental car/scooter. There is a bus on the island. But that's not very convenient from what I heard. The guy running the hostel I stayed at offered a service to drive you around though. Which may be a nice thing. As he gave us lots of good spots to check out on the island.

I don't have a driving license but I like to walk/cycle. A bicycle might be ok to explore the island...?

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a driving license but I like to walk/cycle. A bicycle might be ok to explore the island...?

Bicycle may work. But from what I remember distances between places are not too short. So it probably will take you a while depending how fit you are.

Public transport probably will be better available on Okinawa itself. But I also used a rental car there. So can't comment on it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

I live in North Carolina, and I'm having a hard time figuring out any dates or departures that match those prices. Is there a convenient app any of you recommend for finding good flight deals?
I think this is the same deal that I booked. We live in Nashville, but are flying from Vegas for the cheap fare. (Spending a day in Vegas as well.) We used skyskanner to view the best prices, then booked directly from the airline sites, as mantis suggested above. Lowest fares were for midweek flights, Tues/Wed/Thurs. Good luck! :)

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is the same deal that I booked. We live in Nashville, but are flying from Vegas for the cheap fare. (Spending a day in Vegas as well.) We used skyskanner to view the best prices, then booked directly from the airline sites, as mantis suggested above. Lowest fares were for midweek flights, Tues/Wed/Thurs. Good luck! :)

Hey, cool! I was born and raised in Nashville. Moved to NC in May for a job.

I'll look at Skyscanner and see if I can find a deal that makes sense. What dates did you book for Japan? I've been looking at end of January / into February.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Hey, cool! I was born and raised in Nashville. Moved to NC in May for a job.

I'll look at Skyscanner and see if I can find a deal that makes sense. What dates did you book for Japan? I've been looking at end of January / into February.
Nashvillian! :) We're going at the beginning of November and booked our flights a few weeks ago. The dates you're checking may already be sold out for the cheap fares, maybe try checking other months if your schedule is flexible.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Nashvillian! :) We're going at the beginning of November and booked our flights a few weeks ago. The dates you're checking may already be sold out for the cheap fares, maybe try checking other months if your schedule is flexible.

Dang. Well, I suppose it was a bit of a pipe-dream anyway. I was just in Japan in May, and I don't have any PTO left at the moment so I doubt I would have been able to work it out with work. Maybe in 2021 =[

Any chance we ran into each other in Nashville? I graduated from Franklin High School in 07.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My job is sending me to Tokyo for twelve days and I'll have at least four full days (weekends) to do as I please. I am leaving in two weeks and I know I have a lot of reading to do...

I would like to travel outside Tokyo if it makes sense for the amount of time I am there. On the first weekend I could do a hotel outside the city somewhere else. I get in 3pm on Friday, check in, then Saturday I could travel away from Tokyo and stay somewhere else, then return back to Tokyo on Sunday evening. Or actually I could land Friday, take a train somewhere else and stay Friday night and possibly Saturday night, then get back to Tokyo Sunday evening. I can spend almost every night exploring Tokyo as I am a night owl and staying up late and getting up early doesn't bother me, as long as the cool shops (example Akihabara) are still open.

In regards to Tokyo I wonder if any plastic modelers follow this thread? I see that there are a lot of cool looking shops that reviews say often have rare/out of print models. Is it worth buying Tamiya sets to bring home or are the prices not worth it? With my flight I get two checked bags for free so I may just load up one of them with models, toys, and other cool stuff.

I want to try Japanese whiskey so Music Bar 45 is on my to-do list.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
So now that my trip is set and getting my itinerary finalize - one of the things on my to-do list is to hike Mt Fuji. I'm mostly just trying to decide between hiking Yoshida trail versus Subashiri. I am leaning towards Subashiri just due to the view early on in the forested area, and it being a little less crowded than Yoshida. I am physically active and experienced hiker so I'm not worried about the Subashiri trail being a little more difficult. My concern is that I will be a solo hiker who only speaks a handful of phrases in Japanese. Given that the Subashiri trail is less popular am I more likely to run into more difficulty on that trail given that specific criteria? In terms of buying items/asking for advice/getting a walking stick stamped, etc. at the various stations? I'm assuming there's enough english speaking tourists on all the trails that there's negligible difference, but I want to make sure before I put in reservations for a rest hut.

Or in general if anyone has done both trails? As my first/potentially only opportunity to hike Fuji, is one of the trails preferable?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I can spend almost every night exploring Tokyo as I am a night owl and staying up late and getting up early doesn't bother me, as long as the cool shops (example Akihabara) are still open.

Almost everything in Akiba opens at 10 and closes at 20 (some stuff stays open 1-2 hours longer), so unless you work non-normal hours you'll not experience much. You could do 1 weekend actually exploring Tokyo and the other going to a place like Hakone or Nikko maybe?

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So, which website should I use to reserve at a fancy restaurant? There are a lot of options.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Officials in Kitakyushu agreed with the Fukuoka Prefectural Government on Friday to set its planned accommodation tax for people staying at hotels in the city at ¥200 per guest per night.

The second-biggest city in the prefecture in terms of population aims to introduce the levy in April.

The city of Fukuoka, the prefectural capital, is also planning to introduce an accommodation tax.

The city and the prefecture have already agreed to set the levy at ¥200 per guest per night, ¥150 going to the city and ¥50 to the prefecture, for rooms costing less than ¥20,000, and at ¥500, ¥450 to the city and ¥50 to the prefecture, for rooms that cost ¥20,000 or more.

The prefectural government also plans to collect ¥200 in accommodation tax per person per night from municipalities within the prefecture that are not planning to introduce such a levy.