• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm going to tokyo for just over a week in november. this will be my fourth trip (08, 09, 14).

1. is suica still the default for getting around tokyo?
2. have things changed much in the last 5 years regarding prepaid SIMs, or is pocket wifi still the better choice?
3. this will be my first time landing in haneda as opposed to narita. i assume there's an equivalent to the NEX?

thanks.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
1. is suica still the default for getting around tokyo?
2. have things changed much in the last 5 years regarding prepaid SIMs, or is pocket wifi still the better choice?
3. this will be my first time landing in haneda as opposed to narita. i assume there's an equivalent to the NEX?

1. Yes
2. Eh, not really. Get a pocket WiFi.
3. Haneda is much closer to Tokyo, so no need for any NEX-like train, check the options in the OP :P

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
So my brother is studying abroad in Tokyo for one full year, but he just left Haneda without exchanging his USD. Where can he do this in Edogawa-ku or a close by neighborhood?

Bless his heart, but he can be quite forgetful sometimes...

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
So my brother is studying abroad in Tokyo for one full year, but he just left Haneda without exchanging his USD. Where can he do this in Edogawa-ku or a close by neighborhood?

Bless his heart, but he can be quite forgetful sometimes...
If his money is in a bank, he'll get a better rate from an ATM assuming his bank isn't shitty and has fees.

If so, he can probably open an account at a direct bank that doesn't have international transaction fees, just try to get buy without taking out much until he can get his new card, and then transfer his money there.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Typhoon Faxai moved northwest over the Pacific toward eastern Japan on Saturday, threatening to make landfall near Tokyo as early as Sunday night, the Meteorological Agency said.

The season's 15th named storm, packing winds of up to 180 kph (about 112 mph), is expected to reach coastal areas of the Kanto region between late Sunday and early Monday, it said.

In the 24 hours through midday Sunday, the typhoon is forecast to bring between 200 and 400 mm of rain to coastal regions of central and eastern Japan.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Planning to go at the end of this year. Got a few questions:
1. Any good place to buy anime BDs (edit: also anime stuff in general) other than Mandarake (just looking for alternatives)? Not much opportunity to watch anime legally here so I'm planning to grab some while I'm there
2. Best arcades to kill some time? Would love some retro recommendations
3. Is Kabukicho as dangerous as Kamurocho in the Yakuza games?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
1. Any good place to buy anime BDs (edit: also anime stuff in general) other than Mandarake (just looking for alternatives)? Not much opportunity to watch anime legally here so I'm planning to grab some while I'm there
1. There's also Animate, Surugaya, Book-Off. Tons of places.
2. There's a lot in Akihabara and Ikebukuro. The best is Taito Hey.
3. lol

Oct 26, 2017

3. It's one of the more dangerous places in Japan, by which it's super safe compared to most American or European cities. As long as you don't follow anyone who wants to take you to a seedy bar, you'll be fine.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

2. http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So in preplanning phase, still not sure exactly when I'm going. Might end up being there over Christmas, anything I need to be aware of if I'm over there for Christmas leading into New Years?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
So in preplanning phase, still not sure exactly when I'm going. Might end up being there over Christmas, anything I need to be aware of if I'm over there for Christmas leading into New Years?
I got there just before New Years last year. New Years was really cool but everything was closed the week after. If I were to do it over, I would go home on the 2nd or 3rd.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I got there just before New Years last year. New Years was really cool but everything was closed the week after. If I were to do it over, I would go home on the 2nd or 3rd.
Like the full week after? I'm kinda thinking of maybe hanging around till the 6th just so I can go see the big New Japan Pro Wrestling show on the 4th.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Like the full week after? I'm kinda thinking of maybe hanging around till the 6th just so I can go see the big New Japan Pro Wrestling show on the 4th.
If you have an event that you'd want to see then go for it. It just seemed pretty dead with a lot of the smaller more independent places closed while people were spending time with their families.

Oct 27, 2017
3. It's one of the more dangerous places in Japan, by which it's super safe compared to most American or European cities. As long as you don't follow anyone who wants to take you to a seedy bar, you'll be fine.
I played a Side Mission in Judgment where a guy wants to take you to his bar only to get ripped off after a drink. Judging from your answer I assume those kind of bars exist in RL Kabukicho. Looks like I gotta keep my guard up when I got there!

Also, any good restaurants within Kabukicho, Shinjuku, and Akihabara for non-Japanese speakers like me? Preferably somewhere with ramen and/or curry rice

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Speaking of dangerous places in Japan. I was working in a naval research lab during grad school the first time I went to Japan. My boss warned me that his friend was flirting with a Russian in a bar in Roppongi while they were stationed there. She spiked his drink and he woke up in an alley with his wallet stolen. I don't know if that's a thing but I'd avoid all gaijin if I drank.

Oct 26, 2017
I played a Side Mission in Judgment where a guy wants to take you to his bar only to get ripped off after a drink. Judging from your answer I assume those kind of bars exist in RL Kabukicho. Looks like I gotta keep my guard up when I got there!

Also, any good restaurants within Kabukicho, Shinjuku, and Akihabara for non-Japanese speakers like me? Preferably somewhere with ramen and/or curry rice

Dunno about Shinjuku, but the place is packed with restaurants (and the yakuza probably owns them all). In Akihabara, I'll be checking out a place in Yodobashi that has black ramen.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
There are so many good restaurants all over Tokyo. Please don't limit yourself to just those areas.

Also, do yourself a service and spend a couple days learning katakana. Most places will be English-friendly but if you know katakana, you'll be okay ordering things like chicken curry (chikin kare-) in places that don't have English (like Go Go Curry which only has a vending machine).

Also, this used to screw me up every time I went for some reason but you put cash in the vending machines, then push the button for the food you want to get the ticket. For some reason I always expected to push the buttons and have it tell me what I owed then pay.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm one of those people stuck at Narita airport. It absolutely sucks.
There are lines everywhere and this place seems on lockdown.
Wonder when I'll be able to get out of here since I'll have to check into my dorm by tomorrow afternoon.

Some dude supposedly flew from Narita to Niigata and took the shinkansen from there to Tokyo since it was faster than waiting at the airport :P

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Did ya make it then? Heard there was chaos at NRT at least :P
Nearly 10 hour and 400 dollar cab ride later I made it. Missed 2 flights and stuck here for 18 hours.
Every train and highway is shut down. Damage didn't look bad but evidently infrastructure broke down.
NRT is a mad house. Thousands of people here. Sleeping where ever they can find room. They didn't keep any food open late. Just handed out crackers, water and sleeping bags. People went crazy for them and looting occurred. Never seen anything like this

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of dangerous places in Japan. I was working in a naval research lab during grad school the first time I went to Japan. My boss warned me that his friend was flirting with a Russian in a bar in Roppongi while they were stationed there. She spiked his drink and he woke up in an alley with his wallet stolen. I don't know if that's a thing but I'd avoid all gaijin if I drank.
In roppongi a friend and I went to Two Dogs taproom (which closes early) and Geronimo (which closes late). Had a great time at both tho foreign bars are a bit expensive. Can say the crowd at Geronimo def felt more rough if you're check my drift.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay good money to get picked up here :D

At least I got one of those sleeping bags and some water.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to book a bus ticket for 8am from Terminal 2 to Tokyo Station online.
Hopefully it will work out.

Aaaanyway, I got two questions:
First, what's the best (and preferably most affordable) mobile data plan to for 6 months?

And secondly, where can I buy tickets for TGS? Initially I had lots coming up, but fortunately my Sunday cleared up so I'd be able to go then.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been to DisneySea since they started implementing the digital fastpasses? Is it even possible to physically get to the Soaring or Toy Story machines before the fastpasses run out?

It's incredibly frustrating that international visitors are now at a severe disadvantage when it comes to this.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017

2. I made a point to go out to Mikado, its a little out the way but its great. If you just want to stop by one in your travels Hey as mentioned above is also great.
3. Kabukicho is a great place to spend a night out, lots of great bars, decent food and also a fair few live houses. Its also great just for ambience. Its not dangerous at all in the "might get bashed" sense. However there are rip off artists/bars. So long as you don't go off with the English speaking touts and you don't go to any shady hostess bars you will be fine.

I leave for my trip to Tokyo today. Its a overnight flight so I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow. I only have two things planned (Saturday TGS) and a gig on Sunday night. I couldn't get tix to Sumo. So I've got a spare few days. I might make a point of checking Yokohama this time.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Is it possible to do Ueno, Nezu, Sendagi and Yanaka in a day? (Walking) I see on the map they're all close together, but maps can be deceptive! What looks like half a day or a day can be more

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to do Ueno, Nezu, Sendagi and Yanaka in a day? (Walking) I see on the map they're all close together, but maps can be deceptive! What looks like half a day or a day can be more

I know of somebody who walked the whole Yamanote line in 1 day so sure :P

Are you just walking around or are you gonna stop and do stuff though?

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I know of somebody who walked the whole Yamanote line in 1 day so sure :P

Are you just walking around or are you gonna stop and do stuff though?

Plan was just to amble around with my camera. Maybe stop in for a cup of tea/coffee and watch the world go by and take everything in. And then get fat eating street food.

Might leave Ueno till last and see if I have time to have a wander or put it on to another day if I have a spare one going and take in one of the art museums.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plan was just to amble around with my camera. Maybe stop in for a cup of tea/coffee and watch the world go by and take everything in. And then get fat eating street food.

Might leave Ueno till last and see if I have time to have a wander or put it on to another day if I have a spare one going and take in one of the art museums.

You won't get fat by walking that much :P I did the Yamanote Line in one whole day two years ago untrained (didn't even have big foot troubles after that).

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I love dumb walks between places that could be done by train.
Likewise. I think it is one of the best ways to get a feel for a city. If it's an hour or so walk, and I'm not going through a couple of dodgy areas I rather walk than taxi. Though I have outdone myself a few times haha. But as some one who likes to take photos I find those places in between more interesting. My photo senses go wild!

You won't get fat by walking that much :P I did the Yamanote Line in one whole day two years ago untrained (didn't even have big foot troubles after that).

Haha I don't know. I could eat for England. Love trying food. But yeah you're right. Travelling is a great way of losing weight! Sod weight watchers just spend a month in south east Asia!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Likewise. I think it is one of the best ways to get a feel for a city. If it's an hour or so walk, and I'm not going through a couple of dodgy areas I rather walk than taxi. Though I have outdone myself a few times haha. But as some one who likes to take photos I find those places in between more interesting. My photo senses go wild!

Haha I don't know. I could eat for England. Love trying food. But yeah you're right. Travelling is a great way of losing weight! Sod weight watchers just spend a month in south east Asia!

Man I eat a ton in Japan but always lose so much weight that it's a bit dangerous for me. Food is just too good and even though many things a fried...you always have something which makes it whole (vegetables which sog greese/oil/fat e.g.). I always had my best shits in Japan (and not just because of the toilets) but more because of the various foods. Trying to do the same here in Germany and it works out great lol Just can't get everything here or make it as good myself but I am getting there :D

aOlafsson

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any experience staying at a Ryokan while traveling alone? I'm planning on spending a night in Beppu during my trip in December, but a lot of the places don't seem to accept solo guests. I found one place that does: https://www.shiragiku.co.jp/en/index.html and most likely will end up staying here but it will be quite expensive... I know that I can find suitable hotels in Beppu but they won't have hot springs like the Ryokans do. Anyone have any experience they can share in general or just about Beppu when traveling alone?