• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone been to the dessert places featured on 'Kantaro: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman'? Wondering if the wait at these places is insanely long...

It varies depending on location and time of day. Some of the locations are out of the way enough that you could walk in. Others, yeah, there's gonna be a line. I went to a few when I was around the areas, and based on my experience:

Kakigori. Kooriya Peace is right next to Inokashira Park, so it will have lines. But like on the show, you can reserve a spot, or if you don't plan to be around Kichijoji for long, there's a short wait to do take out. There's also Amaikko, where Kantaro tried to go but had a long line in the show, was actually less crowded.

Parfait. Kajitsuen Liber is fairly close to Shinjuku station. Chances are no matter when you go, there will be a quite a line. And the specific dessert from the show is seasonal.

Savarin. Recherche is in Yokohama and not near anything super busy. Small place but no wasn't crowded. Chances are the owner will ask if you went there because of Kantaro.

Eclair. Rue de Passy is a small patisserie, a little out of the way so doubt you'll run into crowds or lines or anything. Although, I didn't actually try an eclair there.

Chocolate. Minimal is close to yoyogi park, didn't seem crowded. I saw another location in Ginza. I think on the show they just had chocolate bars? You can just pick up a box or something. They did have other chocolate focused desserts if you wanted to eat in. When I went they had a chocolate parfait on the menu that was sold out, and this must've been around 4 or 5pm.

Mont Blanc. Waguriya is on yanaka ginza, which seems like a decently popular shopping street/shotengai. This will have a long line. Other than the parfait, this is the only one I waited in a line for. I have little patience for lines, but it was kinda worth it. Probably the best thing out of the ones I did try; I'm between it and the savarin.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Well we got the official confirmation yesterday at work that the redundancies are going ahead. If I put my hand up and take it will be finishing up work at the end of November and prob looking at flying out to Japan the second week of December. Prob look at staying at least a month.

I'm still kinda concerned about travelling over the holiday period, is like everything going to be shut or just things like Zoos and other various tourist attractions?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Has anyone been to DisneySea since they started implementing the digital fastpasses? Is it even possible to physically get to the Soaring or Toy Story machines before the fastpasses run out?

It's incredibly frustrating that international visitors are now at a severe disadvantage when it comes to this.
We went just last week and used the official Tokyo Disney Resort app.

We used fastpass on a couple of things, including Toy Story at the end of the day (way more fun than I expected!)
In general we managed to get on everything we wanted with a max of 40mins wait. Obviously recommend going on a weekday if possible.

What are the disadvantages you're facing coming from overseas?

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it's me again, I have a question about the Japan Bus Pass, especially for the Mon to Thursday pass. Let's say a pick a pass for 7 days, how can I choose the dates ? Can I pick just 7 days at random from any point ? For example I pick Tokyo Kyoto a monday in october and the next time I will use it will be next monday, which means I have still 5 days to use right ? Thank you !

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it's me again, I have a question about the Japan Bus Pass, especially for the Mon to Thursday pass. Let's say a pick a pass for 7 days, how can I choose the dates ? Can I pick just 7 days at random from any point ? For example I pick Tokyo Kyoto a monday in october and the next time I will use it will be next monday, which means I have still 5 days to use right ? Thank you !

Choose any 3, 5, or 7 days within two months

Choose any dates within two months from purchase. Dates selected for using the Bus Pass does not have to be consecutive.

So, yes, as long as all the days are within 2 months.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, only the smaller places are closed for the holidays
Ahh thats all good then, oh well time to seriously start planning.

How much trouble am I going to be in when it comes to booking stuff on short notice, usually I've done all this 6 months out, this time I'm looking at on 2 weeks notice. I thinking starting in Osaka will make things easier in terms of booking hotels and what not, but worried things might be booked out in Tokyo when I want to be there.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
We went just last week and used the official Tokyo Disney Resort app.

We used fastpass on a couple of things, including Toy Story at the end of the day (way more fun than I expected!)
In general we managed to get on everything we wanted with a max of 40mins wait. Obviously recommend going on a weekday if possible.

What are the disadvantages you're facing coming from overseas?
The app isn't available outside of Japanese app stores, and creating a disney account for it requires a japanese address.

I've noticed that Soaring fastpasses tend to vanish pretty quickly (like 15 minutes!) now that people can book them digitally, so I'm thinking I'll to have to dash over to the paper machines as soon as the park opens to get a fastpass before they run out. I just don't know if it's physically possible! Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know any good video game shop in osaka? I'm not looking for anything in particular, so old, rare, or new stuff is fine by me :).

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
But, superpotato is in akihabara, tokyo, right?

There's like 5 Super Potato stores in Osaka.

There's also Geo Osaka-Nippombashi, and the Surugaya close to it (formerly A-Too) at 大阪市浪速区日本橋4丁目11-3, which is not to be confused with
Surugaya Nippombashi Otaroad that doesn't seem to sell video games :P

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
oh, cool, will try to check them, thanks! not sure if i will be able to, i'm only 2 days in Osaka, i have most of the spare time in Tokyo.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What are some of the food places you always have to make a pitstop at when you're in Tokyo? I have a trip coming up later in the month and I always try to get a bowl of that dandan men from Nakiryu. And sweet sweet late-night supper curry from coco/gorilla. I always like to try new places when I'm there, so I would like to see where Era always go back to.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
What are some of the food places you always have to make a pitstop at when you're in Tokyo? I have a trip coming up later in the month and I always try to get a bowl of that dandan men from Nakiryu. And sweet sweet late-night supper curry from coco/gorilla. I always like to try new places when I'm there, so I would like to see where Era always go back to.
Three places. There's a ramen shop in Shibuya not too far of a walk from the crossing called Tonkotsu Ramen Hakata Furyu Shibuya, where they have a ticket vending menu thingy out front which is also in English, perfect if your Japanese is as trash as mine. There is an Okonomiyaki place in Kabukicho called Teppan Baby where you go downstairs into the restaurant, English speaking staff and you can choose whether to cook it yourself or have one of the staff do it for you, since it's cooked literally on your table. And Yakiniku Black Hole, just go there.

honeymustard

Oct 27, 2017
I booked a hotel on Rakuten, gave my credit card details, but don't seem to have been charged yet. How long does it usually take to be charged? I didn't select pay at hotel.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Just got back from TGS. It wasn't as crowded as I expected. I didn't get a chance to play much of anything. I did snag that guilty gear vinyl tho.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm putting together a more detailed itinerary now. I've been collecting suggestions so there's a ton of stuff to see. We will probably go to Odaiba twice, one day for Tokyo Motor Show and that TeamLab Borderless place. Then on another day we'll be going to the Yasunori Mitsuda concert and there's another TeamLab place right next to it, so we might make another visit.

So, for Tokyo so far:
* First day, arriving in Ueno, probably going to check out some places near the station and possibly the park.
* unplanned, probably Akihabara
* Odaiba
- Tokyo Motor Show
- TeamLab Borderless
- new Gundam statue
* Ueno
- Ameyoko street
- Yamashiroya toy shop
- Ueno park + art museum
- Nezu Shrine
- Yanaka Ginza walking area
* unplanned, possibly Shinjuku
- Omoide Yokocho
- Shin Okubo (Korea town)
* Shibuya + Takadanobaba
- huge flea market
- Mikado Game Center (for as long as I can convice my friend to hang around)
* Odaiba
- TeamLab Planets?
- concert at Toyosu Pit
* Akihabara, walking there from Ueno if the weather is fine

Somewhere in all this I'd also like to fit in Nakano and Tokyo Station, depends on how much we feel like hiking around. Currently it seems like the Ueno day is pretty packed (depending on if we can squeeze in things other days since we're staying there), but for the rest we might run out of things to do. I've looked up a few places to eat, but realistically, we can probably find quality food everywhere without specifically going out of our way.

Question: I'd like to take my friend to a maid café. I'm assuming it will be weird and kind of sad, but can anyone recommend a place? Like, a place with quality weird and minimum sad. Or are they all equally horrible?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
For those who've been to Nikko, would you say it's a must see? I only have 4 days in and around Tokyo. At first, I wanted to do a day trip to Nikko, but now I'm thinking more about taking things more slowly and spending an extra day in the city. I looked at pictures and while it looks really nice, I'm not really blown away. And I'm gonna go to Kyoto and probably Kamakura so I'll see plenty of temples and shrines.

Though I'd really want to do some hiking. I'm thinking of maybe going to Mount Takao instead for a morning since it's easy to get to, and stopping in Nakano on my way back.

So...Nikko or an extra day (or half day) in Tokyo?

Oct 25, 2017
Pedrito
I was going to go as well, but decided against it, it looks like it's only worth it if you're into temples, also i May be wrong but it looks that the main two are far apart from each other and you need to pay to enter. So for me is not worth it.

Hakone seems like a way better option as a day trip.

Oct 26, 2017
For those who've been to Nikko, would you say it's a must see? I only have 4 days in and around Tokyo. At first, I wanted to do a day trip to Nikko, but now I'm thinking more about taking things more slowly and spending an extra day in the city. I looked at pictures and while it looks really nice, I'm not really blown away. And I'm gonna go to Kyoto and probably Kamakura so I'll see plenty of temples and shrines.

Though I'd really want to do some hiking. I'm thinking of maybe going to Mount Takao instead for a morning since it's easy to get to, and stopping in Nakano on my way back.

So...Nikko or an extra day (or half day) in Tokyo?

You can always find more things to do in Tokyo.