• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have recommendations for which pocket WiFi service to rent? Need it for 7 or 8 days in Tokyo area. iVideo appears to be the cheapest?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone familiar with the show "Konya wa Nazatore" on Fuji TV? People from that show interviewed me and made me play a game where I had to memorize then write/draw kanji. If they end up showing it, is there even a remote chance they won't make me look like a complete moron? Thankfully, it seems very hard to find online (except one segment with some korean boyband), so I probably won't become the next Davido-kun.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Guess you on this part of the show :p

(京大東田式)外国人!初めて書いていい漢字
来日した外国人3人(初期は4人)に小学校で習う漢字や熟語を10秒間見せて記憶してもらった後、記憶を頼りに書いてもらう。解答者は出来上がった字を見て何の漢字や熟語を書いているかを当てる。
外国人には漢字を書いてもらう前に上田・有田・タカ・トシの4人の顔写真を見せて、様々な質問をすることがある。

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Bored of staying in my dorm all day during the weekend and I've been going to Tokyo too much already. Gonna stay home and explore Tochigi for now.

I'm thinking of going to Ashikaga next weekend. The Ashikaga Flower Park is one place I want to go to. Is it that pretty this time of year? Where else do people recommend?

Oct 26, 2017
So far only karaage and tonkatsu curry. Will try okonomiyaki at the tiny place just outside the hotel tonight.

Also, Hero Gang in Den Den Town is completely insane for Transformers collectors. They have like 20 meters of shelves from G1 to the latest stuff.

I got okonomiyaki. I don't eat omelettes so it was a bit different, but generally okay. I had it with pork and a garlic sauce.

I also visited a pharmacy to get some wound cleaning for a small cut. It took some time but I found a yellow spray bottle that had a picture of a wound on it. I'm assuming it doesn't _cause_ them. It has isopropylmethylphenol in it.

Youarealreadydead.gif?

Tomorrow Kyoto day trip!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Has anyone used Vision Global Wifi before? Sounds like they will deliver your pocket wifi to your home in America rather than having to pick it up at the airport which seems a lot more convenient.

So far only karaage and tonkatsu curry. Will try okonomiyaki at the tiny place just outside the hotel tonight.

Also, Hero Gang in Den Den Town is completely insane for Transformers collectors. They have like 20 meters of shelves from G1 to the latest stuff.
I'm liking the sound of that karaage and tonkatsu curry.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
You should get takoyaki if you haven't already. One of the best things I ate. I can see why it's so popular. And I don't usually care much for fish/seafood.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Keep an eye on them typhoons if you're in Japan next week:
YLECmGy.png

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
Any more obscure ideas for areas to check out in mid-late November? I'm headed for my 9th (!) trip next month and while I've got some parts of it planned out I'm always up for interesting day-trip like ideas for things that are beyond the norm. I haven't gone in Autumn before so I'm looking forward to the colors despite it being pushed back a bit this year.

Itinerary so far:
Nov 16-17: Tokyo
Nov 17-18: Train to Sendai, stop in Utsunomiya (gyoza!)
Nov 18-20: Train to Aomori, possibly stop at Tashirojima (cats) on the first day, possibly do some hiking around Aomori
Nov 20-22: Train to Sapporo, stop at Hakodate
Nov 22: Fly from Sapporo->Osaka
Nov 22-24: Kyoto (Despite the frequent trips there are some things I haven't seen and some things I'd like to see during fall colors)

Still free:
Nov 24-Dec 3

Considering going as far as Kagoshima since I haven't been there before, also considering spending 3-5 days in Shikoku as I've never explored there. Likely end up back in Tokyo for the last few days before I fly out.

I like:
* Hikes, museums, arcades, food, historical sights, castles, gardens

Relying on transit to get around (no car rental planned/no international drivers permit)

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Booked my flight! 14 days at the end of February, starting to plan my itinerary. Initial idea was 5 days in Tokyo at the start at 2 at the end, then in between head to the usuals, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I know Kyoto and Osaka are relatively close together, but would like to stay in each so I'm not worried about last trains if I head out for drinks. How does this look:

13th - 18th - Flight, Tokyo
19th - Tokyo to Hiroshima, early train
20th - Hiroshima to Osaka, late train
21st - Osaka
22nd - Osaka to Kyoto, late train
23rd - Kyoto
24th - Kyoto to Tokyo
25th - 27th - Tokyo, flight

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Booked my flight! 14 days at the end of February, starting to plan my itinerary. Initial idea was 5 days in Tokyo at the start at 2 at the end, then in between head to the usuals, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I know Kyoto and Osaka are relatively close together, but would like to stay in each so I'm not worried about last trains if I head out for drinks. How does this look:

13th - 18th - Flight, Tokyo
19th - Tokyo to Hiroshima, early train
20th - Hiroshima to Osaka, late train
21st - Osaka
22nd - Osaka to Kyoto, late train
23rd - Kyoto
24th - Kyoto to Tokyo
25th - 27th - Tokyo, flight

I'm no expert with my lone trip, but I'd do one day less in Tokyo (possibly two), and add one day in Kyoto (or 1/2 Kyoto, 1/2 Nara). It's seriously overwhelming the among of stuff (mainly temples/gardens) in Kyoto. And Tōdai-ji in Nara is probably the most impressive temple I've seen (and the deers are fun).

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Had great chashu ramen in a tiny place near the river in Dotonbori, Ramen Satsuma.

👀

Any more obscure ideas for areas to check out in mid-late November? I'm headed for my 9th (!) trip next month and while I've got some parts of it planned out I'm always up for interesting day-trip like ideas for things that are beyond the norm. I haven't gone in Autumn before so I'm looking forward to the colors despite it being pushed back a bit this year.

Itinerary so far:
Nov 16-17: Tokyo
Nov 17-18: Train to Sendai, stop in Utsunomiya (gyoza!)
Nov 18-20: Train to Aomori, possibly stop at Tashirojima (cats) on the first day, possibly do some hiking around Aomori
Nov 20-22: Train to Sapporo, stop at Hakodate
Nov 22: Fly from Sapporo->Osaka
Nov 22-24: Kyoto (Despite the frequent trips there are some things I haven't seen and some things I'd like to see during fall colors)

Still free:
Nov 24-Dec 3

Considering going as far as Kagoshima since I haven't been there before, also considering spending 3-5 days in Shikoku as I've never explored there. Likely end up back in Tokyo for the last few days before I fly out.

I like:
* Hikes, museums, arcades, food, historical sights, castles, gardens

Relying on transit to get around (no car rental planned/no international drivers permit)

We arrive the same day! I haven't really done any planning besides what city I'll be in though.

16-19 Tokyo
19-24 Osaka
24-27 Fukuoka
27-30 Tokyo

I'll definitely start figuring things out this week.

Edit: Oh shit. I just reviewed everything. Looks like I booked a flight back to Tokyo on the 26th. Now I need to figure out if it's better to adjust my hotel reservations or change the flight.

Last edited:

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
👀

We arrive the same day! I haven't really done any planning besides what city I'll be in though.

16-19 Tokyo
19-24 Osaka
24-27 Fukuoka
27-30 Tokyo

I'll definitely start figuring things out this week.

Edit: Oh shit. I just reviewed everything. Looks like I booked a flight back to Tokyo on the 26th. Now I need to figure out if it's better to adjust my hotel reservations or change the flight.
🙌🏻

I'm debating taking the train down to Fukuoka again, but not totally sure what to do with my time there in between ramen restaurants.

Oct 26, 2017
We're getting a touch of #20 in Osaka atm. Tonight will be a little windy and lots of rain. Looks like #21 will mostly miss the mainland.

Going out for a show tonight. Hopefully back before it picks up.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
So will the Tokyo Station, Imperial Palace and the surrounding area be really crowded tomorrow? I was planning to go there and totally forgot about the enthronement ceremony.... T_T

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My plan:

03.11 Osaka Food - arrival
04.11 Osaka Shin Sekai and more
05.11 Osaka Kumano Kodo
06.11 Hiroshima
07.11 Hiroshima Day Tour Nagoya
08.11 Hiroshima
09.11 Tokyo
10.11 Tokyo Mount Mitake
11.11 Tokyo Day Tour Yokohama
12.11 Tokyo
13.11 Tokyo
14.11 Tokyo - depart

We have some small plans for the other days, but if there are any other recommendations just let them keep coming in :)

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
🙌🏻

I'm debating taking the train down to Fukuoka again, but not totally sure what to do with my time there in between ramen restaurants.
I spent a day there before and felt like I didn't get to see much of it. I wanted to give it a better go this time. One thing I'm thinking of doing is making a detour to Kita-Kyushu and seeing Ganryu Island which is where Miyamoto Musashi killed a dude with an oar.

Nov 23, 2017
So if my fiancee and I get married next Fall, do you think a two week trip to Japan is feasible? If so, how far should we plan that out? What's a general budget if you wanna eat wherever and buy whatever?

Question - What Japan's perspective on personal chopsticks? I'm planning using my personal pair when there only disposable ones at a shop.

So if my fiancee and I get married next Fall, do you think a two week trip to Japan is feasible? If so, how far should we plan that out? What's a general budget if you wanna eat wherever and buy whatever?

The price to fly to Japan is where the major hit to your budget will be + the JR pass if you want to go outside of Tokyo. Food wise, if you don't go for the high end stuff, you do well. Like a decent bowl of Udon is like 2 US dollars. 2nd hand shops are really good from what I heard and I'll see for myself once I get there in late Nov.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Sure. Start planning around new years or so. Most of the budget will be spent on flights and a place to stay so you'll need to check prices for that from wherever you're at.

Like a decent bowl of Udon is like 2 US dollars.

Closer to like ~6-8 USD for that, but yeah.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Heading to 高野山 for koyou in a couple weeks. Nervous to stay in a shared bathroom temple lodge but that's all that's really up there. Should be an adventure. Hopefully we will get some good pictures at least!

Oct 26, 2017
My plan:

03.11 Osaka Food - arrival
04.11 Osaka Shin Sekai and more
05.11 Osaka Kumano Kodo
06.11 Hiroshima
07.11 Hiroshima Day Tour Nagoya
08.11 Hiroshima
09.11 Tokyo
10.11 Tokyo Mount Mitake
11.11 Tokyo Day Tour Yokohama
12.11 Tokyo
13.11 Tokyo
14.11 Tokyo - depart

We have some small plans for the other days, but if there are any other recommendations just let them keep coming in :)

For Osaka, check out Super Potato Namba for old games. More impressive than the one in Akihabara. Hero Gang in Den Den Town is amazing for figures. Mandarake Grand Chaos was also pretty cool.

Check out the aquarium if you haven't been to a big one. Also go to a Salon Mon Cher and try their fancy Dojima Roll.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For Osaka, check out Super Potato Namba for old games. More impressive than the one in Akihabara. Hero Gang in Den Den Town is amazing for figures. Mandarake Grand Chaos was also pretty cool.

Check out the aquarium if you haven't been to a big one. Also go to a Salon Mon Cher and try their fancy Dojima Roll.

It's my fourth time now so I've already done everything in Den Den for example, but thanks for the heads up :)

Oct 26, 2017
Another Osaka suggestion: I returned to Ryokuchikouen where I stayed in 2001. The hostel is gone but the open air museum with historic Japanese farm houses is still around and super worth your 500 yen. Also a lovely park area with tons of families and kids playing.

Also did some of Umeda, checked the other Mandarake and the Namco arcade. Man, Nintendo has a ton of gambling machines.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The operator of the Hokuriku Shinkansen says it will operate nearly 90 percent of its bullet trains from Friday, when it resumes services on its entire route.

The Shinkansen line connects Tokyo and the city of Kanazawa in central Japan, via Nagano.

The line has been partially suspended since Typhoon Hagibis battered the region this month.

The firm says the number of trains will be reduced by 14 to 104, about 88 percent of its usual capacity, due to a shortage of cars.

The company says it will consider using trains it planned to use for another Shinkansen line on the Hokuriku line to resume usual service as soon as possible.

Tobu trains to Nikko will also resume this week:

The train operation will resume from 24th Oct , We are going to resell NIKKO PASS for using after 24th.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. I had some kobe beef and I was... pretty disappointed. It was quite tender and so, but not amazingly. I'm assuming we didn't find one of the good places. Also, we didn't get the most expensive stuff, just a piece of sirloin.

The ropeway up to the herb garden was a fantastic trip though. We then went down to the mid station and walked the long way around the dam and the waterfalls and got a little tour of the countryside. The Gohonmatsu and Nunobiki waterfalls were quite magnificent. I have to mention that the path had spiders everywhere, and if I had read up on giant hornets before I wouldn't have gone at all. Luckily we only saw some bees.

Oh well, on to Himeji.

Oct 26, 2017
Himeji castle was pretty great, even in the rain. You get to go inside, although the rooms are mostly empty it's the original structure. And there's some really steep stairs and it's like six floors.

We spent some time in Club Sega. I played Gitadora and Nostalgia (where's the home version, Konami?). Then we had a nice meal at an izakaya called Booze.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Tourists in Kyoto will no longer be able to take pictures in privately-owned alleys near one of the most photographed spots in the city. Locals say the ban has come after disrespect shown by some visitors.

An association of residents and shop owners in the Gion district imposed the ban on photography in private alleys near Hanamikoji street, effective on Friday.

The area's traditional stone pavements, restaurants and tea houses are a major tourist attraction.

Association members put up signs informing visitors of the ban.

They also handed out leaflets urging tourists to ask for permission before taking photos of geisha and maiko.

People will be fined 10,000 yen, or roughly 100 dollars, for taking photos in the private alleys without permission.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
They also say dont take pics of the Geishas but when I was there, they literally were shoving the cameras in their faces. Those kinda tourists will always flout the laws. Curious if theyre really going to enforce the fines.