• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
So it turns out Hiroshima also has a Volks, an Animate, a Lashinbang, a Yellow Submarine and the assortment of arcades. Played the Matrimelee sequel again and picked up gashapon Sega consoles. Also grabbed Mega Man 11 and one out of a million different Eevee figures.

Just one thing annoys me. Why don't Namco arcades have Tekken, Sega arcades have Virtua Fighter or Taito have a goddamn Bubble Bobble?

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
arriving in tokyo next monday at 5am for my fourth visit, but this is the first time landing in haneda.

what's the best method to get from haneda airport to JR tokyo station (nearest JR to my accomodation)? it doesn't appear there's a NEX equivalent.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I remember taking the monorail, then switching to the Yamanote line. Could be a faster way probably.

Oct 26, 2017
Monorail is super quick. Google says it goes to Hamamatsucho which should be only one station from Tokyo. Might even be close enough to walk if you're on the south side.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
What's the quickest way to get from Kanazawa to Takayama? (Got a JR pass so no issues there.) Best I can do is shinkansen to Toyama, local train to Inotani, another local train to Takayama.

Then there's getting from Takayama to Tokyo. Here's hoping things can be a little more straightforward than going back via Toyama...

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
What's the quickest way to get from Kanazawa to Takayama? (Got a JR pass so no issues there.) Best I can do is shinkansen to Toyama, local train to Inotani, another local train to Takayama.

That's it, unless you manage to get on a Hida Limited Express train from Toyama to Takayama.

Then there's getting from Takayama to Tokyo. Here's hoping things can be a little more straightforward than going back via Toyama...

You can either go via Toyama or via Nagoya :p

Oct 26, 2017
I've never really tried gyoza before. And now I'm obsessed. And sad that there isn't really a good place to get it back in Sweden.

Also found a Book-Off bazaar. Those places are insane. A ton of figures for much cheaper than other places. Saw a random huge B. Jenet statue for like $40, but I don't really care for her. I did get a plush Magikarp that is also a tie-in with the Hiroshima Carp baseball team.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best domestic Japanese flights? Recently booked a flight to Yamaguchi prefecture for next month just to hang out with a friends for the weekend. A friend recommended ANA, so that's what I went to immediately.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my goodness...My wife suggested we go back to Tokyo next winter.

Looks like I'm going back to Japan!!!

2015.jpg

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Same. Im gonna wait out the Olympics and winter is the only time Ive ever gone to Japan. Its a tradition now.
Awesome! My wife and I have weekly discussing of when we're going back. We're going to go post Olympics as well.

We're actually going to include it as part of our Asia Disney trip. We'll have been to all the Disney parks after we hit Hong Kong and Shanghai, and we loved Tokyo Disney so much that we're going to go there again now.

I'm curious how tourism levels will be after such a short window AFTER the Olympics?

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the JR Pass website, saw they have an Itinerary sampler so you can plug in your general stops and see how much it costs compared to getting a JR Pass for all that travel.

Anybody know how reliable that is, like are they goosing the estimates to make a JR Pass seem a better deal than it is for people who know better?

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I've just arrived in Tokyo. Currently at the Apple Store waiting for my iPhone to be repaired, which is a story in itself. I'm here for 9 days. Five to attend an academic conference at the Mirakan and four to do a more in depth sightseeing in Tokyo as the last time I was in Japan in 2015 I had only spend three days only and only saw the main sights that most tourists see (e.g. Imperial Palace, etc.) .

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the JR Pass website, saw they have an Itinerary sampler so you can plug in your general stops and see how much it costs compared to getting a JR Pass for all that travel.

Anybody know how reliable that is, like are they goosing the estimates to make a JR Pass seem a better deal than it is for people who know better?
Do you have an iPhone because Suica came up on my wallet and I put some money on it and it works for everything. It's amazing. It's prepay too

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're actually going to include it as part of our Asia Disney trip. We'll have been to all the Disney parks after we hit Hong Kong and Shanghai, and we loved Tokyo Disney so much that we're going to go there again now.

I'm curious how tourism levels will be after such a short window AFTER the Olympics?

Good lord I can't even imagine how full Disney will be lol

Oct 26, 2017
I've just arrived in Tokyo. Currently at the Apple Store waiting for my iPhone to be repaired, which is a story in itself. I'm here for 9 days. Five to attend an academic conference at the Mirakan and four to do a more in depth sightseeing in Tokyo as the last time I was in Japan in 2015 I had only spend three days only and only saw the main sights that most tourists see (e.g. Imperial Palace, etc.) .

I just arrived too. Staying in Ueno. Tomorrow will be the first Akihabara day because if there's one thing I've learned it's that Akihabara needs at least two days.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord I can't even imagine how full Disney will be lol

We went during Halloween last year and it was awesome. Yeah, crowds were heavy...But it was so much fun that we didn't mind.

Every video I seen of Japan's Disney land is a nightmare. My brother keep having 2nd thoughts on being a back up in case one of our plans does workout.

Crowds are nothing compared to some of the gaming conventions, concerts, or other events I've been to.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have an iPhone because Suica came up on my wallet and I put some money on it and it works for everything. It's amazing. It's prepay too
I do wield an iPhone, but I also have a Suica and Icoca from the last time I went to Japan, and I kinda like the analog feel of wielding and reloading a plastic card. >_>

I looked up the JR transit times and fees, and the JR pass is looking mighty good. Do I present it every time at a specialized booth to get my seat for whatever ride I'm taking or is it far more painless than I'm imagining it being?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
JR Pass is super easy to use, yes. There's always a manned gate alongside the ticket/card reader gates, often specifically marked with "JR Pass". You can travel without reservations if you stick to the designated cars, but for longer trips just ask at the ticket office (there is one near the gates).

Only downsides: it's expensive, you have to order it well in advance and the line to get your actual pass at Narita (in the area downstairs, in front of the Shinkansen gates) was ridiculous.

If you're going travelling, it's well worth it though.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going on a train with seat reservation, you use the normal ticket booths:

If you're going on a train without seat reservation, you just show the JR Pass at the manned entrance gate and they'll let you in.
JR Pass is super easy to use, yes. There's always a manned gate alongside the ticket/card reader gates, often specifically marked with "JR Pass". You can travel without reservations if you stick to the designated cars, but for longer trips just ask at the ticket office (there is one near the gates).

Only downsides: it's expensive, you have to order it well in advance and the line to get your actual pass at Narita (in the area downstairs, in front of the Shinkansen gates) was ridiculous.

Hellll yes, Kyoto Week is gonna be action-packed.

tfw the savings I got on my nonstop roundtrip ticket has trickled down to additional spending elsewhere for the trip. >_>

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017

We found the JR pass great to use too. And FWIW, it only took like 10 min to get our pass at Narita. Maybe we were lucky?

Oct 26, 2017
We did Akihabara part 1 today. Holy crap I love this place but it's exhausting. I'm not 20 anymore.

Three symptoms of Akihabara syndrome:

Strained neck from looking at every shelf up and down.
Ringing ears from the barrage of anime music, announcements, pachinko parlours, arcade games and jingles.
Mild headache from visually scanning miles and miles of shelves.

Picked up a bunch of stuff too. I'd been looking for the Bringarts 2B figure and everywhere was out of stock, until Super Potato had a bunch. Got a Mega Drive Mini at Yodobashi (it's strangely hard to find elsewhere and the accessories seem gone already). Got a Figma Link from the 3DS game. Got two old Castlevania albums. Also found a neat Space Invaders tote bag at HEY.

Also tried black ramen at Yodobashi and the gyukatsu at Gyukatsu Ichi Ni San, following up on Youtube recommendations. And ate a taiyaki Mega Drive controller.

I'll stop by Friends on monday, but I think it's too late to get a PSone or GB Micro at this point. Both seem super rare now.

Oct 26, 2017
Whooo! I went back to Akihabara to take down the right side of Chuo dori, and ended up finding a bunch of cool stuff. There was a Hsien-Ko to go with the Felicia figure, and I found a shop that deals in seriously obscure stuff like PC-88, MSX and arcade boards in a basement. There was also a great merch place on Chuo where I got a Dark Souls 2 t-shirt. Finally, I went to Friends. Even they didn't have a boxed Zelda 3 - this game has been cleaned out entirely from Akiba - but they did have both the Dracula Battle Perfect Selection albums from 1994-5. Expensive, but I didn't hesitate one second.

Other things that don't exist in Akiba: the Figma version of Labrys or Kiryu, and the Saturn version of Suikoden.

Things that do exist: 18976378542 figures from One Piece. Like, damn.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Flying back to Taiwan for CNY and will do a three days layover in Tokyo. I've been to Tokyo a lot in my previous job but haven't been since 2017. Are there any good recommendations to check out food or otherwise for a returning Tokyo fan?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now enjoying the free performances at Meiji Shrine. Tomorrow there will be a Yabusame demonstration. Between that and the Chrono Cross concert it will be a tight schedule.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking Osaka a lot right now. My first full day here. Dotombori is really cool place. It was a lot of fun walking through it last night.