• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Luckily Japan is probably the best place in the world to waste time. Maybe not with huge luggage, but still. Karaoke + ramen + music games in arcades + ramen again and done.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Added some info to the OP about attraction tickets and tour sites and luggage storage. If anybody got anything else to add about that, then let me know.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Jet lag was no joke with me and my family waking up pretty early (lucky it was a good amount of sleep). I have to say 7/11 was a life saver in terms of good food to start the day. Got myself a soup with a packet tofu with mochi in it.
Yeah, we got hit pretty hard the first time we went but now I follow a bunch of rules and don't really have much of an issue. I just get up around 6 the first couple days.

teamLab Borderless was a wonderful experience from how wild the display changes by each section intruding with each other like animals that are made of flowers walk into a inverted bamboo forest. The only down side is the long lines for pretty basic sets like the hanging space display. My brothers kids were super sleepy at the end so we weren't able to see the Gundam statue but the view from the train was wonderful.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KLM has flights december - march for 350 Euros and I have another 3 weeks of vacation starting 16.12....hmmm what doo....

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
You know what to do ;P

giphy.gif

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But that would be third time already this year and I have to visit some friends in Thailand too...which is not a good enough reason because of AirAsiaX etc.

Ughhh i still even have a lot of money left over from the last time. Mike pls.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
teamLab Borderless was a wonderful experience from how wild the display changes by each section intruding with each other like animals that are made of flowers walk into a inverted bamboo forest. The only down side is the long lines for pretty basic sets like the hanging space display. My brothers kids were super sleepy at the end so we weren't able to see the Gundam statue but the view from the train was wonderful.

Oh, I was sure I covered everything and completely missed that room. I also missed the nest apparently. I know it's part of the "experience", but for the price, I'm not a big fan of having no map, no signs and hiding exhibits behind black curtains in dark mazy corridors.

My parents went a few months ago and when we compared notes, they also realized they missed 2 or 3 sections.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Got a herniated disk on my second day in japan and have not been able to do much at all since then :( Talk about bad luck.

So our trip to get our JR pass activated was a bizarre journey of from getting to the info office by passing through a gate and bit of a wait in line at another office. At the end we got on the most smoothest ride I every had with a great view of rural Japan. It amazing how many big companies are in these areas.

Osaka reminds of NYC, Queens with how housing and industry surround the area.

Our dinner for the night was at a wrestling theme bar host by a former female fighter. Check it out: https://twitter.com/izakayaringside

This was where I got to try raw horse and raw egg. The horse was indeed raw Tuna but not fish taste. Egg was to my surprise egg but cold and liquidized.

Last edited:

RahX

Oct 25, 2017
I am about to start my second day here in Tokyo and I have one question of a little bit of an issue that I had yesterday at Ueno Station.

My destination required me to grab the Hibiya Line so I went into the station and passed my Suica card through the first gate. However, to get to the Ginza and Hibiya line you need to pass through another ticket gate and this is where the issue was. At the moment of passing my suica card through this second gate, the two little doors closed and an message in the screen of the ticket gate said "please inquiry". I went to the officer that its in every ticket gate and told her that I was going to the hibiya line and she proceeded to put my card on a little reading thing that she had and pressed something on her PC terminal and gave me the card and told me to pass through the gate that its beside her.

So I am asking if any of you people has happened something similar or knows why it happened because I dont want this to happen without knowing the cause so any help will be appreciated.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I am about to start my second day here in Tokyo and I have one question of a little bit of an issue that I had yesterday at Ueno Station.

My destination required me to grab the Hibiya Line so I went into the station and passed my Suica card through the first gate. However, to get to the Ginza and Hibiya line you need to pass through another ticket gate and this is where the issue was. At the moment of passing my suica card through this second gate, the two little doors closed and an message in the screen of the ticket gate said "please inquiry". I went to the officer that its in every ticket gate and told her that I was going to the hibiya line and she proceeded to put my card on a little reading thing that she had and pressed something on her PC terminal and gave me the card and told me to pass through the gate that its beside her.

So I am asking if any of you people has happened something similar or knows why it happened because I dont want this to happen without knowing the cause so any help will be appreciated.

If you go try to go out the door in the same station you tagged on you'll need to go through the officer. If you had gotten off at another station you could have gone right through.

RahX

Oct 25, 2017
If you go try to go out the door in the same station you tagged on you'll need to go through the officer. If you had gotten off at another station you could have gone right through.

I see, so is there any way to avoid this? so that I dont keep going through an officer everytime that I have to pass through another gate on the same station?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I see, so is there any way to avoid this? so that I dont keep going through an officer everytime that I have to pass through another gate on the same station?

I went through there yesterday and I'm pretty sure you can go on the Hibiya subway line without going into the main train station first. I haven't been close to everywhere, but I think that subways/metros usually have different entrances than trains, and lines operated by separate companies like Tsukuba Express also have separate entrances.

RahX

Oct 25, 2017
I went through there yesterday and I'm pretty sure you can go on the Hibiya subway line without going into the main train station first. I haven't been close to everywhere, but I think that subways/metros usually have different entrances than trains, and lines operated by separate companies like Tsukuba Express also have separate entrances.
Got it, I just checked a Ueno station map and there is indeed an entrance that takes you right to the ticket gate without going through the main entrance. So I just have to follow exactly the entrance number that google maps tells you (in this case 6) and not just enter from any point.

I just wanted to know the reason and you have helped me a lot Hypron. Thank you!

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I have nearly 2 weeks holiday to use before April (although I can go five days into April). Japan top of the list, a week around Tokyo and another around Kyoto seems to make sense.

Thinking last 2 weeks in March, bit warmer and hopefully can see the start of the cherry blossom season before crowds and prices rise at the start of April.
Am I right in thinking this is a good plan and if so I better book soon before hostels fill up?

Also what's the hostel culture like there for solo travelers, any recommendations?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I have nearly 2 weeks holiday to use before April (although I can go five days into April). Japan top of the list, a week around Tokyo and another around Kyoto seems to make sense.

Thinking last 2 weeks in March, bit warmer and hopefully can see the start of the cherry blossom season before crowds and prices rise at the start of April.
Am I right in thinking this is a good plan and if so I better book soon before hostels fill up?

Best would be to take those 5 days into April, so week 13 and 14. To save money, you can book a place to stay in Osaka instead of Kyoto itself.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning a trip within the upcoming months. Is there any place to check for Black Friday deals on hotels/flights/events?

Man, Ramen in America is a joke if the amazing pork bone Ramen I just had in Osaka was comparable to the best in NYC I had but at $10 instead of $16.
BTW the Osaka Aquarium is super great and even when it was a crowd, it was very manageable and everyone was able to give people space to get as close as possible to see the animals.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, just found a wad of unused yen from 4 years ago... guess that shows you how far they've come on credit cards ^^;

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Osaka is a lot better than Kyoto anyway

Fight me. At the shores of Biwako.

For real though, my experience in Kyoto is of a local(staying with friends and family) away from the tourist hotspots. Kiyomizu Dera for instance is just absolute a no go zone. Tokyo still have my heart but Kyoto is looking so much better that we have started to look around some real estate and jobs around the area. We even have our favorite supermarket, bar, cafe etc.

Sasari

Oct 30, 2017
Day 12 of my three weeks here and though I'm a horrible lurker I wanted to come share. Took the family to Oi kaebajomae to the racecourse for the Illuminations and I cannot recommend it enough. Absolutely fantastic. It's not on for the next 6 days but then back on again and definitely worth a trip.

Kyoto has far more shrines than I though and a lot of rivers. Also it pretty unique with how all the residential area integrate with the shines and anything traditional. It really makes sense with the problem they have with tourist when they wonder into a person's property.

Inari shrine was the main shrine I wanted to do and it was an adventure. The main part was very lovely with bright colors and designs but the main interest was the rows of gates and the hike to the top. Also saw 2 types of tourist that don't plan. 1. Those who only look at just the main shrine and fool around with the gates and 2. Who carry luggage thinking it a short hike.

May 31, 2018
Are their in run groups in Tokyo I can run with outside of the normal Google search?

Thinking about running once I get to the hotel to help beat the jetlag.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Kyoto has far more shrines than I though and a lot of rivers. Also it pretty unique with how all the residential area integrate with the shines and anything traditional. It really makes sense with the problem they have with tourist when they wonder into a person's property.

Inari shrine was the main shrine I wanted to do and it was an adventure. The main part was very lovely with bright colors and designs but the main interest was the rows of gates and the hike to the top. Also saw 2 types of tourist that don't plan. 1. Those who only look at just the main shrine and fool around with the gates and 2. Who carry luggage thinking it a short hike.
Carrying luggage is a nightmare. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea to take it there. Definitely showed up after doing zero research.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone traveling to Tokyo next January?

The Yoshitaka Amano Fantasy Art Collection will be showing in Shinjuku for a couple days

Fantasy Art Exhibition pre-registration

g7oxxVAl.jpg

He has some pop art paintings at another gallery all-year round.

Kikka Gallery in Shibuya

DfK6PQSl.jpg
Between this and an actress meet-and-greet I discovered on Twitter, I'm really curious what I can do to register to go to these events. Lots of em require that I have a Japanese home address and phone number, and I can't just borrow a friend's deets from there, right?

Thankfully Promare Live Inferno, a live showing where they're letting the audience get rowdy during the screening of the film, didn't need that stuff from me as far as I could tell. >_>

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Any good Osaka tips? Last time I went I was like, well shit this is basically Tokyo but dirty and not much to do?!
The Osaka Amazing Pass was pretty great and the guide you get has tons of suggestions and made getting around pretty easy. There is a link in the op.
We wouldn't have discovered the gorgeous indoor botanical garderns without it.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
In the planning stages of a trip in April with my siblings right now. We have our tickets (will be in Japan from roughly April 5th - 14th, plus or minus some partial days). Current plan is to spend a few days in Tokyo, one day in Nikko, a few days in Kyoto, and a day each at Nara and Hakone.

We're planning on doing a lot of the obvious tourist-y stuff (seeing the big shrines like Fushimi Inari, going to the Ghibli museum, possibly staying at a traditional inn, watching the cherry blossoms, etc.) and doing a few other things (seeing some architecture, doing the Philosopher's Walk in Kyoto) based on recommendations from friends. Any thoughts on particular things to do or avoid? Particular interests include nice gardens (all of us), games (two of us), and anime (a different two of us).

No need to boil the ocean here as I already plan to go back some day 😁 . I love hiking and camping, and I want to tackle Mt. Fuji at some point. (Also I work for a Japanese company and might find myself over there for work sometime)

Also, wanted to confirm if it makes any sense to try to get rail passes.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'd like to add that I ended up having a lot of issues with my wifi device from Vision Global. It was convenient that it was mailed to me before I left but it started with a random value on the data meter so it was hard to keep track of and was really slow and spotty for most of the trip.

Any good Osaka tips? Last time I went I was like, well shit this is basically Tokyo but dirty and not much to do?!
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I love that it's like a dirtier Tokyo.

Namba, Shin-Sekai and Amemura are great areas with lots to do. It's a lot easier to get around than Kyoto. The people are a lot more fun to talk to. The food is great. There's also some great temples like Tennoji and Sumiyoshi-Taisha in the southern part of the city.

Also, I get tattooed in Osaka so that's another reason Osaka is the best.

Last edited:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I cant find nothing of interest to do in Tottori and Ibaraki...

Even Saga and Kochi had more interest things to do and those are the most inaka places Ive been.