• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Woop, managed to get the Ghibli museum tickets I wanted. Shit sells out fast, 10 mins after they went on sale and most are gone.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The number of foreign visitors to Japan reached a record high of 31.88 million in 2019, but the growth was limited by a sharp fall in tourists from South Korea amid deteriorating bilateral ties, the tourism minister said Friday.

The figure marked an all-time high for the seventh consecutive year but the margin of growth stood at 2.2 percent, remaining in single digits for the second straight year, according to Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Minister Kazuyoshi Akaba.

The outcome clouded the outlook for the government to achieve its goal of attracting 40 million in 2020.

While overall visitors are expected to increase in 2020 due to the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games this summer, some previous host cities have seen a decline in tourists as they tried to avoid large crowds and sharp hikes in accommodation fees.

With the number of flights connecting Japan and South Korea already cut on reduced demand amid the strained ties, major travel agency JTB Corp. has estimated the number of overseas travelers in 2020 will only reach 34.3 million.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Woop, managed to get the Ghibli museum tickets I wanted. Shit sells out fast, 10 mins after they went on sale and most are gone.

nice one! Got to book mine next month. Hope I get some. Go on sale 10th of each month at 1 am right? Should be ok, just checked if there are any left for Feb and there are. I could feesibly book for the 29th which would be my first full day in Tokyo

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
nice one! Got to book mine next month. Hope I get some. Go on sale 10th of each month at 1 am right? Should be ok, just checked if there are any left for Feb and there are. I could feesibly book for the 29th which would be my first full day in Tokyo

My only recommendation for the Museum is to get at least the 2PM time slot, as for me to fully enjoy the museum and go to the cafe I needed about 3~ hours, so the 4PM slot only giving you about 2 hours isn't quite enough imo especially for a first visit.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in the UK yeah, 1am or 10am JP time. I just had a couple of windows open on the month selection page and managed to get to the date select after about 5 mins of waiting.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
My only recommendation for the Museum is to get at least the 2PM time slot, as for me to fully enjoy the museum and go to the cafe I needed about 3~ hours, so the 4PM slot only giving you about 2 hours isn't quite enough imo especially for a first visit.

If you're in the UK yeah, 1am or 10am JP time. I just had a couple of windows open on the month selection page and managed to get to the date select after about 5 mins of waiting.
Thanks I will keep both of the above in mind.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Cherry blossom season is expected to arrive in Tokyo a week earlier than usual this year, with full bloom expected on March 27, according to a forecast released Friday by Japan Meteorological Corp., an Osaka-based weather-forecasting company.

The company said the early arrival of the flowers is related to high temperatures in autumn and winter, as well as projected warm and sunny spring weather. The warming trend has been observed in the capital since 2013.

According to the forecast, which is subject to updates, other parts of the country should also prepare for an earlier cherry blossom season this year due to warm weather predicted to prevail across the nation throughout spring.

The cherry blossoms are expected to arrive on March 20 in Fukuoka, March 21 in Nagoya, March 22 in Hiroshima, March 23 in Kyoto, March 25 in Osaka and Kagoshima, April 1 in Kanazawa and April 7 in Sendai, the company said.

The flowers are expected to reach full bloom on March 27 in Tokyo and Kochi, March 29 in Fukuoka, April 1 in Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima and on April 12 in Sendai.

In Hokkaido, the flowers are expected to start blooming on May 1 and reach full bloom on May 5.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm starting to get a list of places I want to visit together and I wanted some suggestions or tips to this list. I'm planning on going sometime in mid-April for about 7 days. Only Tokyo to keep it simpler.
  • teamLab
  • Tokyo DisneySea
  • Pokemon Center Sky Tree
  • Nintendo Store
  • Akihabara
  • Ueno Zoo
  • Sensoji Temple
Any other must-see places to plan for? It's my first time and if I ever return in a couple years, I'd feel more comfortable checking out more places.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Any other must-see places to plan for? It's my first time and if I ever return in a couple years, I'd feel more comfortable checking out more places.

Meiji Shrine and Harajuku. One or more of the museums in Ueno. Shibuya crossing.

And why not visit Pokemon Center Shibuya since it's right next to the Nintendo Store.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I'm starting to get a list of places I want to visit together and I wanted some suggestions or tips to this list. I'm planning on going sometime in mid-April for about 7 days. Only Tokyo to keep it simpler.
  • teamLab
  • Tokyo DisneySea
  • Pokemon Center Sky Tree
  • Nintendo Store
  • Akihabara
  • Ueno Zoo
  • Sensoji Temple

DisnaySea? are you a masochist that likes to be standing for hours on a line when you can be somewhere cool?

The Nintendo store is not as cool or large.

You should add some museums and parks like Shinjuku gyoen, specially on those dates.

Add Nakano broadway since you are visiting Akiba.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I have decided we are going to Japan for our international trip this year, pretty stoked. We will probably be traveling for a total of 14 days but 2 of those will probably be international flights.

Likely starting in Tokyo and then moving south from there but the itinerary is up in the air at the moment.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, good suggestions. More shrines and museums are good additions. I didn't have as many of them as I would have liked on my list yet.
Yes, I'm a masochist that likes standing in lines. Surely there's a worthwhile experience there. I've been the the original Disneyland several times since I'm so close to it, so it's a must on my list.
Nintendo Store is cool and I liked what I saw in their New York store. But if there's a Pokemon store and a Capcom store nearby, that's even better! I also had Nakano Broadway on my list as one of the places to check out in Akihabara.

Now, another thing. Is there a recommended way to get a better look at Mt. Fuji? Like a scenic route? Or is that too out of the way? And also, this is a ridiculous-sounding request, but is there a temple or something that is on a mountain with a lot of steps? I imagine those are not close to where I plan on staying, if they exist.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
on a mountain with a lot of steps?
hahahhahahahah

hahhahahah

many.

I guess If you are only staying in Tokyo, Takao san and Mitake san, the last one being my favorite. One station before Mitake san there is a small open area with a river and EXCELLENT sake that you can enjoy there. A must if you go there after seeing Mitake san.

....Yeah, on the same floor of the Nintendo store there are other ones too, I think it was Capcom and gaming area and so on.... but is a bit meh to be honest.

For Fuji, stay on a ryokan with view of Fuji san or if you cant stay a night, a visit to Oshinohakkai is a good option, a beautiful town with the view of Fuji.

And Instead of Disneyland, go to Fuji q.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Now, another thing. Is there a recommended way to get a better look at Mt. Fuji? Like a scenic route? Or is that too out of the way? And also, this is a ridiculous-sounding request, but is there a temple or something that is on a mountain with a lot of steps? I imagine those are not close to where I plan on staying, if they exist.

Go to Hakone on an overnight trip, stay at a ryokan and check out Hakone Shrine Mototsumiya at the top of Hakone Mount Komagatake. It will also give you good views of Mt Fuji if you go early in the morning.

If what you want is a picture with 1000 steps going straight up and a shrine at the top, you're not gonna get that tho :p

Last edited:

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
Hey folks :) Planning my next trip and want to do a bit more AirBnB/equivalent hopping this time around. Did it a little on the last trip to get some nights outside of Tokyo and really enjoyed it. Anyway...

I'd probably be staying in Tokyo for the majority of the trip, but spending a week outside of it to the west in places like Osaka/Hiroshima/Kyoto/Kobe. My question is, is there a good place to store luggage in Tokyo while we pack minimally for our week out of Tokyo? Last time we were only away for a few days so I just continued paying for the hotel in Tokyo even though we weren't actually there, but I assume there's a cheaper way if we're away for a whole week. Worst case scenario we just get two bookings either side of the week out, but I'd really love to ditch the big suitcases for the duration.

Closest I've really seen is airport storage, but we're not really going to be near one so I don't think that's an option. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Is it worth me getting a JR pass? and if so when?

My rough itinerary is going to be

Tokyo - 28th - 6th of March
Kamakura - 6th-10th
Hakone - 10th-13th
Nagano 13th - 18TH
Takayama 18th - 21st
Kyoto 21st - 28th
Osaka 28th - 3rd Arpil
Naoshima 3rd - 6th
Okayama 6th - 12th
Hiroshima/Miyajima 12th - 16th
Nagoya 16th - 18th
Fuji Five Lakes 18th - 21st
Nikko 21st - 26th
Tokyo 26th -30th.

I was going to go outwards Kyushu, but I just kept finding things I want to do. So many day trips to do! Anyway I seem to have decided to spend time in a few set areas instead of missioning it around (how I prefer to travel) and I don't know if I need any. I think maybe around Osaka and Okayama as most of the itinerary there are day trips (Asusaka, Koya, Tomonoura etc) But otherwise I don't know if it is worth it?

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be travelling to Japan until September, and I'll probably be staying for 8 or 9 days. Which itinerary is better? I definitely want to see some nature/do some beginner or intermediate hiking.

Tokyo and a couple of day trips (Hakone, Nikko, Mt. Takao, etc)

Tokyo and Kyoto (with one day trip)

I'd rather not feel too rushed. Only thing is I don't think I'd be back in Japan for a few years.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Kamakura has great temples, is fun to explore, has a great view of the ocean, and has some interesting shopping streets away from all the historical stuff. Best of all, it's super easy to get to and is pretty close to Yokohama so you can pair it with Chinatown or some stuff there.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Kamakura has great temples, is fun to explore, has a great view of the ocean, and has some interesting shopping streets away from all the historical stuff. Best of all, it's super easy to get to and is pretty close to Yokohama so you can pair it with Chinatown or some stuff there.

You can also go to Enoshima island near Kamakura and get a view of Mt. Fuji like I did ;P

99YW2q6.jpg

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're not going to Kyoto it's the best place to have a taste of 'old' Japan near Tokyo, including all the temples and shrines, yeah.
You can also go to Enoshima island near Kamakura and get a view of Mt. Fuji like I did ;P

99YW2q6.jpg
A great view of Mt. Fuji was on my list. Thanks to the both of you!

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
hahahhahahahah

hahhahahah

many.

I guess If you are only staying in Tokyo, Takao san and Mitake san, the last one being my favorite. One station before Mitake san there is a small open area with a river and EXCELLENT sake that you can enjoy there. A must if you go there after seeing Mitake san.

....Yeah, on the same floor of the Nintendo store there are other ones too, I think it was Capcom and gaming area and so on.... but is a bit meh to be honest.

For Fuji, stay on a ryokan with view of Fuji san or if you cant stay a night, a visit to Oshinohakkai is a good option, a beautiful town with the view of Fuji.

And Instead of Disneyland, go to Fuji q.
Go to Hakone on an overnight trip, stay at a ryokan and check out Hakone Shrine Mototsumiya at the top of Hakone Mount Komagatake. It will also give you good views of Mt Fuji if you go early in the morning.

If what you want is a picture with 1000 steps going straight up and a shrine at the top, you're not gonna get that tho :p
These are all excellent suggestions. Especially Hakone. The views look fantastic. But can these be done in a single day? Hakone looks far and as suggested, would require staying a day to really enjoy. Takaosan and Mitakesan seem closer, and if I'd be closer to those for the Nintendo and Capcom stores, maybe those could be done on the same day? Recommended?

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
Yo guys haven't post in quite some time but I've been thinking of taking a trip to Japan later this year. It'd be awesome to get some tips outside of the very useful op. I was thinking of staying for basically the entire month of Oct.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
These are all excellent suggestions. Especially Hakone. The views look fantastic. But can these be done in a single day? Hakone looks far and as suggested, would require staying a day to really enjoy.

You can do an overnight trip from afternoon till afternoon the next day. Just have to get up early in the morning to go to the mountain top shrine (that's when there's the highest chance of seeing Mt. Fuji is too).

Mt Takao is the closest to Tokyo, but the temple there isn't at the very top of the mountain.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
What Mike said, spend the money and stay at night in Hakone, stay at a ryokan and book in advance a front seat on the romance car ( the train that leaves from shinjuku to hakone) for the full Hakone experience. Dont rush Hakone, take your time and enjoy it.

Is possible to do Takaosan or Mitakesan and the nintendo store on one day but you are pushing it, the store closes at 9 and to enter you have to wait 45 to 1 hr AND to pay is an extra 30 min waiting again.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Yo guys haven't post in quite some time but I've been thinking of taking a trip to Japan later this year. It'd be awesome to get some tips outside of the very useful op. I was thinking of staying for basically the entire month of Oct.

Well, have you been before or is this your first trip to Japan?

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Flight booked, hotel booked! Going May 9th to May 22nd.

Given up on Nagasaki trip as I didn't realise domestic flights cost so much in Japan, even with special Visiting Foreigner reduced ticket prices. Woulda taken too much time out of the holiday to go and do a small side thing anyway. Don't think we'll even tack on Osaka or Kyoto trips either unless the missus gets a real desire to see either. She's never been to a Disneyland either, so thats complicated things and debating whether we do both Disneyland AND DisneySea or choose one.

Now just loading up on places to go and saving them for later on Google Maps. There is... too much. Too much cool shit. There's a Dragon Quest VR thing that I only just found out about which requires some advance ticket purchasing because of course it does. Never had a holiday cause me so much stress before because normally they've been passive "we'll do whatever" things, whereas obviously trying to cram as much into this one as possible as it was 15 years since I was last there, and probably will be at least that again (unless I suddenly become a comics superstar somehow).

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
So next paycheck coming at the end of this week and I'm going to spend it to buy a plane ticket in advance. Have to arrive in Japan on the 22nd of March at latest. So far the ANA ticket matching that is 1K USD which is... not something I'm looking to pay for. An alternative is cutting that price in half to land on the 18th of March but I'm wondering what I'm going to do in Tokyo/Haneda for 3-4 days since my supplied hotel in Hanamatsu is booked for the 22nd, not to mention what cheap-ish hotels I can rent out for those days.

Also as a another question, anyone know if ANA ticket prices drop over time or is the cost fixed once made available?

Edit: Yet another question, capsule hotels or hostels? And how does either option do luggage storage?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes this would be my first trip to Japan.

Go up to Hokkaido and Sapporo through Aomori, Hakodate and Noboribetsu.

Go through Hokuriku and check out Nagano and Kanazawa and do a day trip to Shirakawa on your way from Tokyo to Kyoto (or from Kyoto to Tokyo).

Check out either Shikoku or Kyushu.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just had curry in cocoichibanya in London. Chicken Katsu + omelette. Was nice - tasted like I remember it. But bloody expensive, over twice as much as in Japan. £15 including tax and service vs about £7 in japan

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Go up to Hokkaido and Sapporo through Aomori, Hakodate and Noboribetsu.

Go through Hokuriku and check out Nagano and Kanazawa and do a day trip to Shirakawa on your way from Tokyo to Kyoto (or from Kyoto to Tokyo).

Check out either Shikoku or Kyushu.

my wife grew up in Chiba. We've been to Japan as a family at least 10 times. We've never been to Kanazawa - really need to fix that next time before my kids get too old to come with us because they have their own lives (although they're unlikely to turn down the opportunity for free flights and food..)

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Golden Week is a group of holidays in Japan that means that most members f Japan have an extended time off of work. It is highly recommended that you do not travel in Japan during it because A. Some things will be closed. B. There will be a lot of domestic tourists everywhere.

It usually takes place around the first week of May. You can google golden week 2020 to see the exact dates. I just woke up and on my phone so don't feel like linking :p
I completely forgot that I asked this question, and me and my friends already planned our dates the other day, which just happens to be during the Golden Week. Damn it.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Booked my AirBNB to Kyoto a few days, and just reserved an overnight bus an hour ago. Would have gone by plane, but as a poor student with no part-time job (at least atm)、I gotta take the cheapest I can get. Can't wait to visit Kyoto for the first time.

Would have liked to go Osaka too since it's just to the left, but my friends who live there are too busy.

Miyajima 12th - 16th
Nikko 21st - 26th
I went to Miyajima on a date. Was super nice. That's a whole day trip, so smart idea to spend a few days in Hiroshima.

I live in Tochigi, but I just remembered I haven't been to Nikko since coming here haha I went for a school trip two years, but I want to go again where I can look around freely

Last edited:

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Booked my AirBNB to Kyoto a few days, and just reserved an overnight bus an hour ago. Would have gone by plane, but as a poor student with no part-time job (at least atm)、I gotta take the cheapest I can get. Can't wait to visit Kyoto for the first time.

Would have liked to go Osaka too since it's just to the left, but my friends who live there are too busy.

I went to Miyajima on a date. Was super nice. That's a whole day trip, so smart idea to spend a few days in Hiroshima.

I live in Tochigi, but I just remembered I haven't been to Nikko since coming here haha I went for a school trip two years, but I want to go again where I can look around freely

yeah I like getting a feel for a place if I can. Travel days are a bit of a pain as you're waiting to check in, but I like to just amble around on that first half day and then get to sight seeing the day after.

Wow you live so close! Are there any other towns that worth visiting? I'm planning a day trip from Nikko to Mashiko to visit the pottery kilns. There is a famous Japanese Potter called Shoji Hamada who worked with a famous English potter called Bernard Leach. I live about 20 miles (32km) away from he came from (St Ives) and both set up a studio and workshop. Leach studied and made pottery in Japan with Hamada too. So it's my little moment of finding and experiencing a bit of home whilst I'm away.

it's really sad though. I'd never of Leach until a few years ago when I watched a BBC series on Japanese art and culture. His been forgotten about by the art establishment here. I got taught about other local famous artists like Barbara Hepworth and Peter Lanyon but not him. They all worked in the same village! But he seems a pretty big deal to be forgotten about. Unless i did get taught about him and wasn't paying attention haha.

anyway I think i am going to make a couple of tweaks to my itinerary. I may drop Nagoya and put those days with Naoshima and steal a day from somewhere else but stay in Takamatsu. spend a couple of days there and Matsuyama and then loop back up to Hiroshima and back across to Okayama and back towards Tokyo

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Bought my plane ticket for the 19th of March (technically the 18th since the flight leaves at midnight) for 700USD 1-way/nostop travel. I'll just hang out in Tokyo/near Haneda for 2 days before heading over to Hamamatsu for work but I think I'll manage. While I'm currently doing research, anyone know any nearby hotels and/or hostels that offer takkyubin/takuhaibin/宅急便 (which one is it? Lol) to send luggage over to another hotel near Haneda airport?