• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Her guide is right, and all the beginners need to get over it.

It's super easy as well, try to learn and just stop being shit at drawing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someday, someday we'll learn how to speak to one another with nuance on the internet, but sadly that day is still far far off. As someone who can't draw the tutorial is absolutely right, gaining the confidence to use long, smooth strokes is difficult

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong or inflammatory about the word beginner. What a bunch of scrubs.

Hope she finds an audience elsewhere.

Aug 1, 2018
Always love the irony of people complaining about "fake outrage" going out of their way to complain about "fake outrage"

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
A "shitty human being"? Just because he mildly pointed out that it could be taken as rude? Your comment seems a bit harsh based on that screenshot.

What they did was a whole ton of concern trolling while other people were spitting vitriol at this artist/translator team. They wrote that other people might be slightly offended at the label while those same people were attacking her? Mine was a harsh comment, sure, but putting fuel in the flames, no matter how innocuous, still keeps it burning.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
damn shame. that account was amazing and very helpful. smdh the outrage and harassment culture needs to fucking stop.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this go down in real time and it was so fucking embarrassing. Fuck those bullies. Some people look for any reason to get angry.
Same. I don't suppose you did or happen to know anyone who may have captured it through an archive or images? Seems everywhere I look sadly people just embedded the tweet and thus when it got scrubbed it went down everywhere. I do lament that I'm unable to find the better examples and wish I'd taken shots of it for the proof.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A "shitty human being"? Just because he mildly pointed out that it could be taken as rude? Your comment seems a bit harsh based on that screenshot.

Not all comments exist in isolation.

What propel often don't realise about bullying is that it's often the sum of its parts, not just a single incident or person.

If for example, I have a legitimate point to make about something someone said, but a lot of others are being hostsile and harrassing towards that person far out of proportion of what that person originally did, I am only adding to the bullying and making it worse by trying to play devil's advocate for the bullies.

(Also to be clear, anyone upset at "beginner" is someone who I consider laughable. But that's besides the point here.)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I don't suppose you did or happen to know anyone who may have captured it through an archive or images? Seems everywhere I look sadly people just embedded the tweet and thus when it got scrubbed it went down everywhere. I do lament that I'm unable to find the better examples and wish I'd taken shots of it for the proof.

Sadly nope. I do remember that most of the abuse was buried by people supporting MM shortly before she deleted the tweet. There's a few screenshots floating around on Twitter but nothing super substantial.

Twitter is fucking built for terrible people to dogpile an individual and drive them into the ground.

And yes, there are some people who hate actual professional advice and techniques in creative fields because they're immature narcissists. I've watched tutorial videos by pro artists where they have to specifically preface the most basic instruction by saying "Being unable to draft well is not a personal style. That's not how any of this works."

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
What a bunch of ungrateful BEGINNERS. They felt called out because they indeed draw as the lady pointed out, with short and scuffy lines and instead of accepting it and practice to improve, they just bully her. Even freaking Michelangelo when he was 80 years old, said "I'm still learning". Fuck those people on social media who feel like the i-know-it-all and bitch about everything.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell what's real and what's parody anymore. This sounds like a bunch of trolls that are pretending to get offended over absolutely nothing whatsoever, and then harassing a poor instructor about it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Crazy; people have lashed out at me in the past for using words like "beginner", "novice", and "amateur." What kind of language are people supposed to be using as a descriptor? What's wrong with being a beginner?
These people are gonna have a bad time if these words are what sets them off about their skill. In a professional setting, they will just be called 'bad.'

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Twitter art community hit a new low with this shit. Bunch of insecure twerps.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Silver lining is that it pushed at least a few people to support her fanbox, so that's nice. Not worth dealing with this shit though, and it's only going to serve to further alienate foreign artists from the west. I wish people would just learn common (it's not common) decency when interacting with people in any capacity

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the implication here indicates you doubt harassment occurred.

Nah man. That's not implied and it's not accurate. That's an inference you drew from nowhere.

There's two issues presented by this topic. 1) Is dogpiling internet strangers shitty? To that I say "yes." 2) Is there any truth at all to the idea that line strokes indicate an artist's skill or experience? Or are line strokes potentially a style choice? I don't really know about drawing. I'd like to see the criticism articulated by... anybody.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of ungrateful BEGINNERS. They felt called out because they indeed draw as the lady pointed out, with short and scuffy lines and instead of accepting it and practice to improve, they just bully her. Even freaking Michaelangelo when he was 80 years old, said "I'm still learning". Fuck those people on social media who feel like the i-know-it-all and bitch about everything.
The Dunning Kruger effect in action. People who are incompetent tend to be unable to see their own incompetence, while those who are competent see how much they have left to learn

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
2) Is there any truth at all to the idea that line strokes indicate an artist's skill or experience? Or are line strokes potentially a style choice? I don't really know about drawing. I'd like to see the criticism articulated by... anybody.

It's a basic simplified example of how experience and practice makes drawing things second nature. Someone who's been drawing hands for a decade could do it easily without any need for rough strokes.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of assholes. I openly admit that I still have trouble with drawing in the "single line pro method" outlined in that first image and I have been drawing for a long ass time. What she's saying isn't wrong nor should it be considered offensive.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not "harassment" when one person tells another person "I find that rude".

It's harassment when a couple of hundred people tells one person "I find that rude".

Every individual person feels entitled to voice their complaints and maybe they are, but when there's a bunch of entitlement on one end and a single person on the other end, it ends up as harassment.

Social media sucks.

(Also this is the same mentality of when gamers get upset at "easy mode")

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed it.

The reason is inconsequential. You could give Twitter a winning lottery ticket and they'll thank you by crushing your faith in humanity and sending you death threats.

P.S. She's 100% correct. An untrained hand is constantly fighting itself, whereas the best artists can make entire compositions with a single line. They don't have to, and usually don't, but they can.

I agree that the reaction were bad and childish, I don't say that using a lot of lines are a sign of being at beginner level, more a matter of style. Of course you are correct in the fact that the more you learn the more you can do, but I argue that experts can do whatever they want, and single line is not often productive.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the reaction were bad and childish, I don't say that using a lot of lines are a sign of being at beginner level, more a matter of style. Of course you are correct in the fact that the more you learn the more you can do, but I argue that experts can do whatever they want, and single line is not often productive.
I mean it even says that it's not the case that longer lines are necessarily better, just that you won't NEED to use a ton of shorter lines as you gain more skill and experience

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replace "beginner" with "fuckin noobs" or whatever the kids are saying these days and give them something to cry about.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
These people are in for a rude awakening once they log off and enter the real world if they're offended by a term like 'beginner'.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people are in for a rude awakening once they log off and enter the real world if they're offended by a term like 'beginner'.
In the real world nobody would give a shit. It's probably fake outrage. And if it's real outrage, these are people who may have never entered the real world before so yeah I guess they'd be in for quite a shock.

Fucking losers.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not "harassment" when one person tells another person "I find that rude".

It's harassment when a couple of hundred people tells one person "I find that rude".

Every individual person feels entitled to voice their complaints and maybe they are, but when there's a bunch of entitlement on one end and a single person on the other end, it ends up as harassment.

Social media sucks.

(Also this is the same mentality of when gamers get upset at "easy mode")

Yeah and the wildest part about Twitter is how easily people get caught in the crossfire. It must really suck to have any kind of following and then people are constantly bickering with each other in your mentions not even really about you but Twitter really wants you to see it.

Again, I don't know how this one unfolded, but it's easy to imagine a version of this where some slice of Artist Twitter wants to debate technique-based condescension or whatever... but then the lady just gets drowned in replies because Twitter is basically set up for her to personally "host" the argument.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The idea of "beginner" being a harsh term is the closest I've come to feeling like an old person grumbling "fucking kids these days," lol.

It's disheartening just how common it is for perfectly nice people to get caught up in the bullshit grinder of social media drama / overreactions / etc.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Sharing professional knowledge is one of the best things about the internet.