• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it even says that it's not the case that longer lines are necessarily better, just that you won't NEED to use a ton of shorter lines as you gain more skill and experience

But the way she present the idea left space to that childish responses. People were arguing that the style they are using classifies them as beginners dispute the experience they have. Not that beginner is a bad term, but the classification that everyone that does not use single lines are not pros.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But the way she present the idea left space to that childish responses. People were arguing that the style they are using classifies them as beginners dispute the experience they have. Not that beginner is a bad term, but the classification that everyone that does not use single lines are not pros.
But it specifically says that's not the case? It seems pretty clear what she was trying to say to me, but sure, keep blaming the victim I guess

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
But it specifically says that's not the case? It seems pretty clear what she was trying to say to me, but sure, keep blaming the victim I guess

Not blaming the victim, sorry. Those reactions are from jerks. Nothing granted them the rights do that.

I was just expressing my reaction to her thoughts and I realize that while she was pretty clear in her intention there was also a language issue (English is not my native language too) that may have compromised my reading of her tutorial.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean that future classes for people that have zero experience in something and are learning it from the ground up will have to be called "Future Experts Class," or "Expert Discovery" or something like that?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Even if that was the case, a true professional would have enough confidence to believe in their ability and not take offense over general guidelines that aren't even specifically aimed at them.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Even if that was the case, a true professional would have enough confidence to believe in their ability and not take offense over general guidelines that aren't even specifically aimed at them.

Sure. Nothing justifies those reactions.

Even if you disagree with her (which I do at some extent) taking offense is just a sign of not having confidence, thus being a beginner ...

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this makes my blood boil. Someone was just trying to offer help out of the kindness of their own hearts and she gets treated like that? Trash people.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Does this mean that future classes for people that have zero experience in something and are learning it from the ground up will have to be called "Future Experts Class," or "Expert Discovery" or something like that?

"There is no right or wrong" has been a staple of cruddy art education for decades now. Some people don't actually want to get better, and get angry when those around them grow and succeed. They just want to be told that their low efforts are as beautiful and gorgeous as the learned student.

And... who knows?! Maybe they are beautiful in their own way.... but... that doesn't give you the right to shit on people who are trying to learn, or to shit on the teacher, who generally goes above and beyond to give. It is rare to receive knowledge, and wise critiques in the field of art. Shitting on that is like shitting on a rose in the desert.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid thing to be "offended" over. But even so... how about just recommending a different word instead? Amateur? Novice? Newcomer?

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, nothing seems to attract packs of the most vocally unreasonable psychos like someone who creates free content.

You see this with game modders, people who make free use art, freeware developers, people who put out free patches for digital synths, etc. etc. etc. Intuitively you'd think people who make free things would have much friendlier communities than professional work but it consistently is the opposite.

Makes you wonder how many great content creators willing to put out free stuff get driven away well before they become this prominent.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker either, but I'm really not seeing how beginner is offensive. Hell, I call myself a beginner in things I've been doing for years :P

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All those fuckers need this applied to their Twitter avatar:

U1ZgQYI.png

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What was the nature of the bullying the artist was receiving? Like I can understand how calling that first example "beginner" could be disheartening seeing as all three exhibit proper foreshortening and form. But the tutorial was about line work, not form.

I really need a better picture of what actually went down, not just an overview after the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Used to wonder why it was common for Japanese/Korean etcetera to just block all Americans or English Speakers or block them for commenting but I think I get it now

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
im not a beginner, ok? ive been doing this for forty fucking minutes. im in deep. almost at your level.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Something I really fucking hate is that it's absolutely fucked up that people bullied mangamaterials off Twitter, yes. But, people who also got pissed at people who were giving tutorials on how to draw dark-skinned characters are having the gall to get angry at this as well. Like, shut up, you were stifling and criticizing people just trying to be educational too less than a week ago. You don't get to be angry, hypocrite.

But yeah, getting upset at being called a beginner is pretty silly, and attacking someone for it is pretty fucked. Obviously if your style doesn't match the tutorial on purpose then, well, it's not directed at you, is it?!

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with people lately going out of their way and harassing artists? Being an artist myself this makes me sick and only reinforces my decision to NEVER show any of my art online.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Twitter contributes absolutely nothing positive to society, even when compared to other social media platforms.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
What is it with people lately going out of their way and harassing artists? Being an artist myself this makes me sick and only reinforces my decision to NEVER show any of my art online.

Lately? Artists get slammed from the left and right on a daily basis.

Remember the Steven Universe fanart fiasco? Woke SU Twitter almost drove that artist to suicide.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oof, those people will never make it big, i know there are tons of people in the proffesional setting that wont hesitate to call your work trash

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Reminds me of this prank call where a guy calls a kid who's a Counter Strike pro and keeps calling him a novice, except he kinda has a reason to react. These people are ridiculous.

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
I imagine these people are the "Nah I only play on All Madden" types. Gotta stroke that ego even when you are watching someone give you tips on something that you don't even know how to do. Weird.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BEGINNER IS NOT A FUCKING OFFENSIVE TERM. YOU INSECURE, NARCISSISTIC, PETTY, JEALOUS, VAPID. CUNTS.

FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU ALL.

Shit like this makes me so angry.
Crazy; people have lashed out at me in the past for using words like "beginner", "novice", and "amateur." What kind of language are people supposed to be using as a descriptor? What's wrong with being a beginner?
Insecure narcissistic cunt.
I can't tell what's real and what's parody anymore. This sounds like a bunch of trolls that are pretending to get offended over absolutely nothing whatsoever, and then harassing a poor instructor about it.
Nah. Not trolls. People use that term far too often.
Stupid thing to be "offended" over. But even so... how about just recommending a different word instead? Amateur? Novice? Newcomer?
But BUT ?!?!?!? Nah, no fucking Buts. Fuck using a different term because a bunch of narcissists got upset, because the correct term was used.
Just a bunch of jealous people.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I follow her and witnessed the whole thing unfold but I wasn't aware she was deleting her account. :( This makes me sad and angry at the same time.

English-speaking art twitter sure is something lately.