• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No, he's right on it. A pretty big number of women on their 20s and 30s have voice like this, be it their natural voices or just faked. There's even men in Japan that don't like women who do that and think that it completely breaks a relationship as the voice of some just irritates them, even more with the "mooooooooh" or "yadaaaaaaa" and the like. Very similar is a woman putting her hands on her mouth when laughing even if they have no problems with their teeth, but that's more cultural, I guess.

You just need to be on Japan that you will hear it in places, or even on TV where you'll see it too. It's not all of course but a big number do it.
This stuff like extended yada is just cultural mind control and people using a fixed amount of phrases they hear from media, not some emulation of children. But the forced idol / anime voice thing is not that common. Outside of kimoi otaku circles. I know plenty of Japanese people who will outright mock the obviously forced voices when hearing them on TV or whatever.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to list every child/child-like character from Xenoblade series alone, the images in the OP would be half-filled with girls from the franchise.

I'd buy that excuse if Poppi wasn't one of the primary characters in the game. I don't even disagree with the premise that Nia personality-wise seemed like a 16-17 yo character. I can't say I remember her being sexualiized though.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy that excuse if Poppi wasn't one of the primary characters in the game. I don't even disagree with the premise that Nia personality-wise seemed like a 16-17 yo character. I can't say I remember her being sexualiized though.
her blade form is sexualized, but she also looks older in that form so it doesn't really work for the argument of this thread

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff like extended yada is just cultural mind control and people using a fixed amount of phrases they hear from media, but the forced idol / anime voice thing is not that common. Outside of kimoi otaku circles. I know plenty of Japanese people who will outright mock the obviously forced voices when hearing them on TV or whatever.

Nah, you can see many women out there using it. The phrases I used are just a example of words, the pitch is really high.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Nia is child-like. She's the shortest girl in the squad and acts like a child sometimes. I've played it, yes, and how she's heavily sexualized later on is just outright gross.
Nia definitely is a child-character but what annoys me the most about her is that she was a good female character wearing a non-revealing outfit up until *that* scene where they basically threw everything out of the window and made her [random fanservice character #109352].

I mean the game has a host of issues but I remember I actually eeeked when that new outfit appeared. Like wtf.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
her blade form is sexualized, but she also looks older in that form so it doesn't really work for the argument of this thread

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that. Nia was one of my favorite drivers (after Morag) so I never actually
used her as a blade. I remember being a bit annoyed that they went with such an awful design tho

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Where on earth do you live? I've been here almost 10 years and literally never met a woman who has done any of the things you said in a way that wasn't supposed to be ironic. And when that stuff is on TV or whatever, natives' reactions range from a somewhat indifferent "wtf lol" to downright exasperation.

If you're talking about how its pervaded and consumed in the media, then of course there's some material for discussion there. But don't act like this is normal and those 40-60 yo pervs are regular Joes you meet in everyday life. That's just straight up dishonest and paints a negative image for no reason whatsoever.

I'm talking about the more extreme cases that kind of thinking leads to.
Like others have said the Otaku culture, while looked down on are not rare in Japan.
As well yes the media interpretation of these characteristics in anime and TV shows and such.
They are not on the street every day, but they are things that people are exposed to through out life as well as a trope quite often in entertainment media.
Thats what I was trying to say.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Your point is great and all but can you explain to me why you have an avatar of the japanese imperial flag? Or you don't know what it represents?

It's mind blowing that this is showed like that without no consequences.

Hey man thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression that it was a symbol of Japanese pride, but its not. It doesn't represent what I stand for at all. I'll make the very necessary changes to it. I do apologize to anyone who it ovended.

That was unacceptable, and embarrassing to stand up for the opposite of what that represents while simultaneously brandishing that imagery.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This reaching to frame the violence in MK as gendered, all while angry neckbeards whine that women in MK11 are too strong and important in the story, lol. And all with the purpose of "whatabout" this disgusting trope.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Anime is even more plagued with this trope. Back then there was more original Stuff. Now it's like 90% this disgusting trope.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Those "moe blobs" are literally children though? So it makes total sense why they act like that. If by moe blob you mean series like K-on, Yuru Camp or any anime based on manga from Kirara magazines.
Do any children act like that though? They're always friendly, calm, listening and at most naive. Children tend to be headstrong, loud, active and generally don't care what parents tell them to do.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
This reaching to frame the violence in MK as gendered, all while angry neckbeards whine that women in MK11 are too strong and important in the story, lol. And all with the purpose of "whatabout" this disgusting trope.

Are you saying that utlra violence isn't a disgusting western trope? I don't agree that violence should be used as a distraction for the issues in Japanese media, but personally I thought the trailer in tLoU2 was pretty gross in itself.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Japanese tropes only this time lighter and 200 times more fun y'all need to watch yesterday's Last Week Tonight. John talks about the Japanese port town of Suzaki and it's ridiculously funny Battle of the Mascots and a character called Chiitan. It's amazing and all of you should watch it but sadly, since that segment was not the main story, it ain't going to get uploaded to YouTube (at least not officially). I was almost cried from laughter.

That's a part of Japan's culture I wish they exported more instead of all the shit we have in this thread.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Are you saying that utlra violence isn't a disgusting western trope? I don't agree that violence should be used as a distraction for the issues in Japanese media, but personally I thought the trailer in tLoU2 was pretty gross in itself.
You could play nothing but Western games and avoid "ultra violence" entirely (I play mostly Western games and MK is the only gore-y game I buy). Very easily too. Now, stick to Japanese games and tell me it'd be easy to avoid this particular trope. It's absolutely not the same at all, and what's more, you're free to complain about violence in Western games! I just don't understand why this discussion only takes place when people criticize creepy otaku crap.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tis sick as fuck and the amount of you jumping through hoops to defend it is truely worrying

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
You could play nothing but Western games and avoid "ultra violence" entirely (I play mostly Western games and MK is the only gore-y game I buy). Very easily too. Now, stick to Japanese games and tell me it'd be easy to avoid this particular trope. It's absolutely not the same at all, and what's more, you're free to complain about violence in Western games! I just don't understand why this discussion only takes place when people criticize creepy otaku crap.

I don't agree at all. I play mostly Japanese games outside of CRPGs and rogue-likes and I can easily avoid what is largely consdiered as otaku crap. To me it's as similar as judging western media based on games like God of War, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, or almost any AAA shooter which is the bulk of what is popular in the united states. In fact if you look at what's releasing this week or most weeks in general: https://gematsu.com/2019/04/this-we...r-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-ports-more aside from VNs which are often niche and something I won't speak towards I don't see anything that fits that bill. Most weeks the only games that I even see that fit that bill are ones from Compile Heart (which once again I won't try to make an argument for)

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression that it was a symbol of Japanese pride, but its not. It doesn't represent what I stand for at all. I'll make the very necessary changes to it. I do apologize to anyone who it ovended.

That was unacceptable, and embarrassing to stand up for the opposite of what that represents while simultaneously brandishing that imagery.

No worry man, I guessed that you probably didn't knew about it. I also used it for many years as wallpaper and such until I discovered what it represents.

I was more surprised that it was allowed than anything. haha

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do any children act like that though? They're always friendly, calm, listening and at most naive. Children tend to be headstrong, loud, active and generally don't care what parents tell them to do.

Generally those characters are middle schoolers so yeah, that's mostly how they would act.

If you can cite some examples, I can have an idea about what you talk about too. Because what I imagine with moe blob don't have sexualization in the majority of the times.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Nia definitely is a child-character but what annoys me the most about her is that she was a good female character wearing a non-revealing outfit up until *that* scene where they basically threw everything out of the window and made her [random fanservice character #109352].

I mean the game has a host of issues but I remember I actually eeeked when that new outfit appeared. Like wtf.
Yeah I kinda dreaded but understood it was inevitably heading in that direction but Nia's character definitely nosedived for me when her pivotal backstory reveal was so strongly tied to her being in love with Rex.

The new outfit is just crass. She doesn't even look older in it! Unless by look older, the argument is that she's wearing an outfit that accentuates her body more which I place on the same tier as arguing anime girls in high school outfits look adult when they have huge breasts.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't agree at all. I play mostly Japanese games outside of CRPGs and rogue-likes and I can easily avoid what is largely consdiered as otaku crap. To me it's as similar as judging western media based on games like God of War, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, or almost any AAA shooter which is the bulk of what is popular in the united states. In fact if you look at what's releasing this week or most weeks in general: https://gematsu.com/2019/04/this-we...r-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-ports-more aside from VNs which are often niche and something I won't speak towards I don't see anything that fits that bill. Most weeks the only games that I even see that fit that bill are ones from Compile Heart (which once again I won't try to make an argument for)
What Japanese games are you playing? I can think of most Nintendo stuff being free of it, but JRPGs are absolutely plagued. Fighting games are plagued. Mobile games are plagued. While it's mostly shooters (I mean, yeah) that are hyper violent for the most part.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
You could play nothing but Western games and avoid "ultra violence" entirely (I play mostly Western games and MK is the only gore-y game I buy). Very easily too. Now, stick to Japanese games and tell me it'd be easy to avoid this particular trope.
While this is true to some degree, it also depends on where you put the threshold.

If you're talking about the trope then yeah, it's annoying as hell and it's pretty much everywhere. And trust me I can't stand it.

But I'm not sure if I'd equal annoying as hell but relatively harmless stuff like the Edna character in Zestiria (listed in the OP) with ultra-violent gore though.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
What Japanese games are you playing? I can think of most Nintendo stuff being free of it, but JRPGs are absolutely plagued. Fighting games are plagued. Mobile games are plagued. While it's mostly shooters (I mean, yeah) that are hyper violent for the most part.

Generally I play stuff like the Atelier series, NISA games like Yomawari, Liar/Penny Punching Princess, Furyuu games like Caligula/Work x Work, Falcom games (specifically Ys titles), Souls/Sekiro, Nintendo games, Squenix, Toei Kecmo, and Vanilaware. The only game I'd kind of consider in that cateogy are some from KT and the ones I'm thinking of star of age characters like Nights of Azure (I just think some of the fanservice is a bit obnoxious at points).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
While this is true to some degree, it also depends on where you put the threshold.

If you're talking about the trope then yeah, it's annoying as hell and it's pretty much everywhere. And trust me I can't stand it.

But I'm not sure if I'd equal annoying but relatively harmless stuff like the Edna character in Zestiria (listed in the OP) with ultra-violent gore though.
I can see this perspective. For example, MK doesn't bother me because it's beyond absurd, but RE2 bothered me a bit with the realistic gore. And my tolerance for creepy anime is very, very low indeed, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I ain't the sort to go into these threads if only because of the rampant bickering, both the downplay for concern of the issue as well as the disregard of people trying to explain against the generalization, and the casual xenophobia, I will say that a majority of Japanese games that are developed are not actually "plagued" by this sort of fanservice, only that the west genuinely just chooses to focus on the games that enter their purfew. If you think the sort of japanese games you see on news or from forums like this is that incredibly commonplace, all I can say is you're mistaken.

Hell, they don't even sell all that much in their home country, the bulk is usually international audiences anyhow.

Oct 25, 2017
Loli characters are a pretty disgusting trope and I completely agree. The presence of a bubbly, scantily clad 10 year old is usually enough for me to drop something immediately.

High School age characters are different though. I don't really see the problem with depicting them with fashionable, somewhat revealing outfits. That's completely realistic to what actual high schoolers wear. It's bad when it gets hyper sexualized, but that's true with adult characters too.
I also don't see the issue with them being in romances with other high school aged characters, as is usually the case. Like Rikku can flirt with Tidus a bit, and that's fine. They're in the same age group. Yuffie on the other hand, who is with all older characters, doesn't have any flirtatious scenes. Which is good, because a character in their 20s hitting on a 16 year old is a bit weird.

High School romance stories are very popular in Japan, but they're popular in the West too. Countless shows like Boy Meets World, or any number of ABC Family or Disney channel shows center around teenagers and romances, and they're all fine because they aren't tastelessly sexualized. You also have shows like Riverdale, where all the characters are very sexual and overly mature, which is also a common trope in Japanese games and anime. Where you have teenagers basically being adults and young adults being experienced older adults.
I think a lot of this is because it's aimed at teenagers who want to think of themselves as competent adults, and at adults who want to reminisce about being a teenager, but don't want to acknowledge that they were dumber back then.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I can see this perspective. For example, MK doesn't bother me because it's beyond absurd, but RE2 bothered me a bit with the realistic gore. And my tolerance for creepy anime is very, very low indeed, lol.
I have a low tolerance threshold too, which kind of surprisingly is I think the result of this shit being everywhere.

And I'll be honest, my first reaction to your post was "hell yeah". And then I realized I equated Yuffie with MK fatalities and I was like ... "okay, maybe that's not entirely comparable".

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
This topic is one that hits me pretty hard since I actually like playing as the 'actually older than she looks' type of character (yes, my avatar is a Lyn from Blade & Soul), but the archetype is basically ruined at this point as it's so often used as a blatant excuse to be able to sexualize a character with a child's body guilt-free.

I can only imagine how much better things would be if "did you make this while thinking with your dick?" was an automatic rejection from mainstream publishers. If only...
I ain't the sort to go into these threads if only because of the rampant bickering, both the downplay for concern of the issue as well as the disregard of people trying to explain against the generalization, and the casual xenophobia, I will say that a majority of Japanese games that are developed are not actually "plagued" by this sort of fanservice, only that the west genuinely just chooses to focus on the games that enter their purfew. If you think the sort of japanese games you see on news or from forums like this is that incredibly commonplace, all I can say is you're mistaken.

Hell, they don't even sell all that much in their home country, the bulk is usually international audiences anyhow.
That's... not right. FGO gets boatloads of money (we're talking billions of yen) from Japan alone and, well, that's one game that is especially guilty of this trope (and shit, they don't even pretend that certain characters are older than they are despite the fact that they are so heavily sexualized, which is even more skeevy). Trying to frame this as some kind of barely-present niche seems rather disingenuous at this juncture.

At the very least, it's normalized to such an extent that it's become its own codified trope in fandom circles (see the phrase "lolibaba"), which I would think is a big enough red flag to indicate that maaaayyybe things have gotten to a point where, y'know, we need to rein it in a bit.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017

Mortal Kombat kind of skirts on my sometimes awful sometimes ok line because it's fairly cartoony, but when games like GoW or TLoU are somehow seen as what games should strive to be I just don't get it. I couldn't even watch the E3 trailer of TLoU2 without looking away. It just seems to be the brutal glorification of violence. Even if there's story relevance. Then again a lot of this is all based on personal limits so it's kind of arbitrary.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to frame this as some kind of barely-present niche seems rather disingenuous at this juncture.

At the very least, it's normalized to such an extent that it's become its own codified trope in fandom circles (see the phrase "lolibaba"), which I would think is a big enough red flag to indicate that maaaayyybe things have gotten to a point where, y'know, we need to rein it in a bit.
Sure, I get ya. I wasn't calling it barely present though, in my defense. But I also wouldn't say the field of gacha mobile is still representative of the majority of japanese games out there. Though I will admit I was mostly talking about traditional software titles when I responded to him. FGO and the rest of its kind is VERY rampant with it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Generally those characters are middle schoolers so yeah, that's mostly how they would act.

If you can cite some examples, I can have an idea about what you talk about too. Because what I imagine with moe blob don't have sexualization in the majority of the times.
I guess I have a very cynical view of the matter but I generally think that "cute girls doing cute things" shows aimed at men are designed that way because sex sells, that there's an implicit sexualization or objectification to the whole thing because they wouldn't do the same type of show with boys.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Japanese media definitely has issues with infantilizing female characters, either by making them young or seem young. Even the adult women tend to be naive, a bit dumb, act childlishly and have hight-pitched, girly voices. One trope that's kind on the opposite of the adult in a child's body is the trope of a woman character who has the full body of an adult, but the mind of a child. Extreme case in point from Magna Carta 2:

1128716-mc2_celestin_roaa.jpg

According to canon, she is 12 years old (because her race "ages fast"), but she looks like she's 22 and behaves like she is 2.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
Japanese media definitely has issues with infantilizing female characters, either by making them young or seem young. Even the adult women tend to be naive, a bit dumb, act childlishly and have hight-pitched, girly voices. One trope that's kind on the opposite of the adult in a child's body is the trope of a woman character who has the full body of an adult, but the mind of a child. Extreme case in point from Magna Carta 2:

1128716-mc2_celestin_roaa.jpg

According to canon, she is 12 years old (because her race "ages fast"), but she looks like she's 22 and behaves like she is 2.
MagnaCarta 2 is Korean.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have a very cynical view of the matter but I generally think that "cute girls doing cute things" shows aimed at men are designed that way because sex sells, that there's an implicit sexualization or objectification to the whole thing because they wouldn't do the same type of show with boys.

Well, I can't think of an example of boys on the same exact age but there's a bunch of male idol series and sports series too which have a big female public so I guess that counts in some way? The male idol series are focused on them but sports in the major part of the cases is pretty much male focused but they still look at it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's a Japanese thing relating around (Purity, innocence, impishness) etc. Which they associate with youth. Which then manifests in creepy ways. It's almost like their version of Manic Pixie Dream Girl... But obviously moe problematic.

Zynn

Jan 5, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalizations surrounding race
The Japanese people are imature in general.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Whataboutism Surrounding Depictions of Sexualized Minors
Japan have a higher age limit and tighter child marriage laws than a lot of the states in USA, so I am not sure what is more offensive.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
It certainly limits my enjoyment of most anime as well. In games, it tends to be a little less in your face (this is a generalization, of course, I'm sure that's not true across the board) since they aren't as narrative-heavy just by nature of being a game. I tend to even forget about it unless they're going out of their way to be weird about it (sorry, Poppi still counts for me on this one- the creepiness was inescapable).

I have to tell ya, I don't enjoy having to justify my participation in these properties to my wife. I don't enjoy feeling that I'm being morally complacent about something, and at times they tend to be correct that I'm jumping through hoops to do so, even though I know I wouldn't excuse it in Western property. S'why I keep them around.