• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teenagers are fine, but not with excessive fan service.

In my example I asked for Persona in college.

Joker, Futaba, Makoto, etc being 17-20 wouldn't change too much, but would make things less unsettling

A character being an adult doesn't make sexualization suddently okay, especially if only female characters get sexualized and if they get sexualized in humiliating ways and with other characters force them.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I feel this is deeply rooted in Japanese culture. Visited Japan for vacation and you see cute eyed Anime girls and stuff literally everywhere. You seriously can't escape them. You go to the supermarket and have Hentai manga in front of you. It really feels it is part of their culture and may only gradually change in the future, if at all. It's just a different culture. But you know what? I rather have Hentai in the supermarket than rifles. As someone from Europe, the US and their obsession with guns was what really creeped the hell out of me when I went there.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
yeah its getting out of hand at this point , the voice acting with these designs just makes me want to throw up.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And what? Because suddenly after a decades people shout out loud on the internet trying to change everything ? No one has given a damn about stuff like this that much in the past?

But hey we westerners are all cool and this shouldn't be allowed because some pedos have strange thoughts... I have none of them. See nothing sexualized in them as I see nothing sexualized in a teenage girl wearing a bikini on the beach... Which is totally NORMAL... Or should we start a petition that lables shouldn't be allowed to make such girl clothes cuz it MAY be sexualized?

I have far more problems with games like Fortnite and others were violence and gore is showed as all cool and maybe even funny. And people can say herp derp that's why we have rules to play games at certain age even if people know that we "elders" had no problem playing games like this in the past and the younger ones have even less problems doing so now

Pack it up boys, we're done. This man right here filled up the entire bingo card in a single post.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I was recently in Japan and was looking for the pokemon centre in Ikebukuro with my mate. We see this hall open and it looked like an anime artist convention, so we went in and had a look. It was just full of 10 year old looking anime girls getting fucked. It was surreal how 'normal' this was, as it was practically in Sunshine City shopping centre with no security on the door or tickets to get in.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Japan's sexualization of minors is flat-out fucked up. Calling it "problematic" is a bit too generous, but I guess the worst examples are from manga and anime. Japan does keep it somewhat cleaner on the video game side.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is deeply rooted in Japanese culture. Visited Japan for vacation and you see cute eyed Anime girls and stuff literally everywhere. You seriously can't escape them. You go to the supermarket and have Hentai manga in front of you. It really feels it is part of their culture and may only gradually change in the future, if at all. It's just a different culture. But you know what? I rather have Hentai in the supermarket than rifles. As someone from Europe, the US and their obsession with guns was what really creeped the hell out of me when I went there.

Good thing we can be critical of both

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First you use SJW and now you're asking "what about all the violence?!?"

When are you guys gonna get a new playbook?

I won't ever start a campaign against violence in games cuz I play it myself. I just see more problems in this topic than in sexualized women or girls (non in the OP is sexualized for me).

But somehow I never see an outcry for it that much and it always about...

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean shit like Nowi is indefensible, there's really not much to say there. Where things become murkier is where a lot of these characters are designed to appeal to a teenage demographic in the first place and it's not weird for a teen to be attracted to other teens

The problem is that In isolation those teenage characters probably wouldn't be a big deal but given Japan's obsession with sexualizing underage characters you have to look at those teenagers with side eye glances.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
First you use SJW and now you're asking "what about all the violence?!?"

When are you guys gonna get a new playbook?

Nobody cared before: Check.
Outrage culture: Check.
What about the violence: Check.
I'm not a pervert, you're a pervert for thinking that's sexualized: Check.
What about girls on the beach: Check.
Slippery slope arguments: Check.

I'm thoroughly impressed at the bullshit excuse to word ratio, great job.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see the "they are targeting teenage boy angle".

When I was a teenage boy, sexualized adult women was an effective way to market to me. I can't imagine sexualized children would have been more effective.

I think there is something disturbing behind this

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that In isolation those teenage characters probably wouldn't be a big deal but given Japan's obsession with sexualizing underage characters you have to look at those teenagers with side eye glances.
That's fair which is why I said things became murkier (as in the situation is still problematic, just not black and white anymore)

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't ever start a campaign against violence in games cuz I play it myself. I just see more problems in this topic than in sexualized women or girls (non in the OP is sexualized for me).

What's your opinion on boner culture?

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And just to clear it up... I am just basing my statements on the stuff the OP posted and not completely disgusting designs or some weird pedo stuff of JP which I am aware is really bad.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see the "they are targeting teenage boy angle".

When I was a teenage boy, sexualized adult women was an effective way to market to me.
I mean this is true, but at least for me this is referring to things like romance options. Since the main characters in these games are typically teenagers due to the demographic targeting, making their romance options adults is also pretty problematic for a whole different set of reasons

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I agree and always surprised it's rather casually accepted as a cultural thing and gets a pass because... Japan!
I think it blew up with Evangelion.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cared before: Check.
Outrage culture: Check.
What about the violence: Check.
I'm not a pervert, you're a pervert for thinking that's sexualized: Check.
What about girls on the beach: Check.
Slippery slope arguments: Check.

I'm thoroughly impressed at the bullshit excuse to word ratio, great job.

If only he mentioned boner culture then it would have been prefect.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
First, they gotta move away from the pathological High School obsession
They would need to make being an adult there not be so miserable that they pine for their comparatively simple high school days, but I don't picture anything being done about the terrible work-life balance anytime soon.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Right? The first thing she does is make fun of him for being a kid.
Was surprised when Lora said she was 27 in Torna. You can never tell age in anime.
You can almost never tell age in cartoons at all. The "12 year old looks the same as a 35 year old" applies to everything from the Simpsons, Dexter's lab and studio Ghibli, to basically any art style that simplifies facial features.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"I don't give a fuck about violence, I just use it as a derail for conversations about taking away my lolis".

I have to admit you trolls are not usually this honest...

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teenagers are fine, but not with excessive fan service.

In my example I asked for Persona in college.

Joker, Futaba, Makoto, etc being 17-20 wouldn't change too much, but would make things less unsettling
Except the games are set in Japan, where college life doesn't allow for the kind of plots Persona go for.

I appreciate the larger issues being raised in this thread vis-a-vis sexualization of underage characters. But in a lot of cases, such as OP seemingly objecting to child characters at all, or your wanting series to be college based where it makes no sense for them to be, it sounds like you're viewing everything from an entirely western-centric lens without having any understanding of the culture you're assessing. And while cultural relativism is a shitty defense for something like sexualized underage characters, as I noted, it reeks of rank arrogance when it comes to something as basic as how creators choose to tell their stories. Why is it an issue of Japanese creators want to have, say, a young cast of characters at all? As long as they handle it well? I get criticizing them for when they don't, but examples like Futaba or Veronica are absolutely out of place in a discussion like this.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
I'm fine with several of the characters OP mentioned. I want more teenage characters in Western games and media as the white man with a family trope bores me.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Watch this thread be 15 pages for some weird reason.
Yeah, because people circle jerk about some OP's examples and avoid the real issue here.

I don't mind some children in some games playing a bigger role, but the over-sexualisation is a huge issue for me. Even when they're are adults (although women always look so young in games, also in Western games there are no nuances, you have either a granny or a 18-like/early twenty woman), I just can't take them seriously as a character, which breaks immersion and weakens the whole narrative experience for me.

But yeah, if that's Japanese culture, I find this culture weird in that regard and I'm not a fan of it, to put it mildly.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hahaha holy fuck man, these threads really do bring out the weirdos, huh?
"B-b-but what about the west? They sexualize too! We're not above Japan!"
"B-b-but what about the violence in other games?"
"B-b-but what about western media? They sexualize all the same!"

This shit sounds more like "we're not any better in the west so don't take away my lolis".
And yes, sexualizing minors is wrong ANYWHERE, but we're discussing this topic regarding videogames, your whataboutism says more about you than the topic being discussed.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
Hahaha holy fuck man, these threads really do bring out the weirdos, huh?
"B-b-but what about the west? They sexualize too! We're not above Japan!"
"B-b-but what about the violence in other games?"
"B-b-but what about western media? They sexualize all the same!"

This shit sounds more like "we're not any better in the west so don't take away my lolis".
And yes, sexualizing minors is wrong ANYWHERE, but we're discussing this topic regarding videogames, your whataboutism says more about you than the topic being discussed.

None of the characters in the OP are lolis.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Dude. Please think critically for a minute before firing off these posts. lmao
I'm not saying we go back and erase previous characters, obviously. That'd be ridiculous. Just use older (maybe new) characters. Pokemon's never had you play as an adult trainer, so that could offer a new perspective to a trainer traveling around to take on the League. Didn't the devs say they almost used bunnies as the main characters for Splatoon instead of kids? Go back to that and see how it works. And Ellie doesn't need to be a child for the story to be compelling.

And again with all these: Removing a child character from the roster will not have any repercussions on gameplay mechanics.