• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
On another note. I'm actually kind of semi depressed that I finished Good Morning Call and won't have any more Nao in my life. That character is just so enjoyable, it was a bright spot in my day when I had time to watch an episode.

Deleted member 17347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMG...the reveal of Saori-san and the WTF outburst from Mayuzumi in the last episode of Legal High S1. It's been a long time since a TV-show made me laugh this hard.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
How is everyone? Are you still watching, cause I am!

760px-Koi_ga_Heta_demo_Ikitemasu.jpg

Koi ga Heta demo Ikitemasu: About an extreme Type A personality woman at a small mobile game dev who has never bothered with love. This show is full of messy relationships/love triangles. The real gem here is the supporting cast relationship. 3 emoji thumbs up for the main story, 4 for the side characters

760px-Aishitetatte%2C_Himitsu_wa_Aru.jpg

Aishitetatte, Himitsu wa Aru: About a guy who killed his dad to protect his mom and then went on to law school. He's now engaged but is keeping this a secret from his fiancee. This was a pretty wild ride but the twist seemed a bit obvious due to the
content of the packages and lack of another plausible perpetrator.
My biggest problem with the show was how
"someone" was clearly breaking into his home to do all this shit, buy a fucking IP camera man if you can't go to the police. That he did nothing about it kinda pointed me in the direction of the reveal.
4 emoji thumbs up

760px-Anata_no_Koto_wa_Sorehodo.jpg

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo: About a woman who "settles" in marriage but then meets her first love and begins an affair with him. Her first love however is also married and has a kid on the way. It was very interesting watching a show with a main character who is knowingly a horrible person for what she is doing. Without spoiling too much, what you are watching for is not messy violent fights when the truth comes out, its a slow and tense burn that is very satisfying. The one flaw of the show that knocks it out of being top tier is
that this show has the typical Japanese theme of "divine punishment" but honestly, Kouki was far more disgusting than Mitsu and barely suffers for it. It's life as usual for him other than his wife making sure he never forgets what he did.
4 emoji thumbs up

640px-Minshuu_no_Teki.jpg

Minshuu no Teki: Tomoko is a mom in a low income family with a limited education who decides to run for city council, initially for the paycheck, after her and her husband lose their jobs for standing up for what they believe in. This show gives you a comedic look into Japanese municipal politics. All the supporting staff is wonderful, my only wish was that Issei Takahashi's role was a bit more prominent.
This show sends a strong message that people need to get involved with their local politics and that voting matters.
One of the top shows of 2017, do not miss, 5 full emoji thumbs up.

760px-Kataomoi.jpg

Kataomoi: About a trans man who comes out to his friends but also says he killed a man. There is a murder mystery here, but there is also serious social commentary about what trans people have to go through in Japan as well as gender binary issues. Very socially progressive show that I do not want to spoil for anyone, only 6 episodes so please watch. This is a WOWOW drama so be prepared for some trauma triggers.
4 emoji thumbs up

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
My biggest problem with the show was how
"someone" was clearly breaking into his home to do all this shit, buy a fucking IP camera man if you can't go to the police. That he did nothing about it kinda pointed me in the direction of the reveal.
4 emoji thumbs up
I figured this could be explained by
him subconsciously already knowing it was him and more-or-less protecting himself from his split personality.

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
No new shows for me just yet, the new year really messed with the shows I'm watching with friends :) That said not much has changed either - still quietly hoping that Akagi S2 is subbed (and raws showed up the other day, which is nice!) and waiting for 99.9 S2 which airs in 5 days. I'd like to get back to Ito, too...

Thanks for the reviews as always, ryuukan :) Curious about Kataomoi, so perhaps I'll get to that once things slow down a little.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I was just about to see if I could find some shows to watch, and ryuukan comes to the rescue!
Minshuu no Teki and Koi ga Heta demo Ikitemasu seem to be right up my alley

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Netflix drama, Million Yen Women, and thought it was pretty lame. It starts off like a harem drama and then gets interesting in the middle but has a weak ending.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
I figured this could be explained by
him subconsciously already knowing it was him and more-or-less protecting himself from his split personality.
Yeah, thats why I felt it kinda made the reveal a bit obvious

Minshuu no Teki was on my to watch list, looks like I need to watch it soon
Absolutely, its super legit. Arata Furuta is awesome in it

I saw the Netflix drama, Million Yen Women, and thought it was pretty lame. It starts off like a harem drama and then gets interesting in the middle but has a weak ending.
I enjoyed it for what it was, but its definitely nothing special compared to some of the top 2017 shows.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start watching a detective or crime thriller series, with which one(s) should I start with?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You could watch Tantei no Tantei (Detective vs Detectives). That is on Crunchyroll.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Started watching 3 new dramas from this season:

Mob Psycho 1-2
Watching the first episode of the drama made me binge watch the whole anime, so I guess I have something for reference.
While not that surprising, it's interesting that they've focused on less superpowers related parts of the story. For example, Mob's love interest gets more air time in the first episode of the drama than in the whole anime. Looks like the telepathy club girl is also going to be much more visible in the drama than she was in the anime. I enjoyed the first episode, but after binging the anime and watching the second episode a few days ago, I'm not sure I'm going to continue. I don't like some casting choices and the shift in focus, while it makes sense budget wise, makes for a less interesting series, at least so far.

Kakegurui 1
Again, after watching the first episode of the drama I binge watched the whole anime. Since the original is much more grounded in "reality", the drama didn't have to change much, unlike Mob.
Sadly, I'm not that much into it. Real life actors doing the weird voice changes and facial expressions doesn't really work, at least not with the cast they've chosen. The opening is nice, I guess?

Video Girl Ai 2018 1-3
I loved the original manga back when I was in middle school and was surprised to hear that there's a drama adaptation in the works. I was even more surprised to see that it's already out, while flipping through Amazon Prime yesterday.
After 3 episodes, I have to say that it's definitely my favorite series this season. The Nogizaka 46 member playing Ai is not awkward, like idols often are, and the most importantly, the story isn't an adaptation of the manga. It's a sequel happening 25 years after the original.
Really curious to see where it goes, but so far I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Started watching Video Girl Ai because I like Nogizaka46 and wanted to see Nishino acting lol
First 2 episodes were pretty enjoyable. Soundtrack is on point too, should be a fun ride.

First episode of Anone was cool, should be in the same vein as Woman and Mother. Following tomboy Hirose Suzu as she tries to understand where she comes from should be endearing.

Also watched the first two episodes of Oh My Jump!, which is about a bunch of adults who grew up reading Shonen Jump, trying to deal with their shitty lives. They all gather in a secret bar at night, cosplaying as their favorite characters. It's pretty fun so far, and could be surprisingly touching, even though it's mostly a wacky drama. Ikoma Rina as a Naruto fan is great.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
someone give me some shows with a tomboy lead. I mean real tomboy not just clumsy girl with only guy friends.

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
Hello Harinezumi ep8 was phenomenal, geez. Thanks again for the recommendation ryuukan, loving this show :)

Still, coming to the end of it so I'm looking for a new show (as I watch an ep of drama with a friend each week). Really wanted to watch Chiisana Kyojin, though it appears subs for that show are locked away. Will have to do a little more hunting.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Harinezumi ep8 was phenomenal, geez. Thanks again for the recommendation ryuukan, loving this show :)

Still, coming to the end of it so I'm looking for a new show (as I watch an ep of drama with a friend each week). Really wanted to watch Chiisana Kyojin, though it appears subs for that show are locked away. Will have to do a little more hunting.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I will go on record to say The Public Enemy is the show of 2017, even above Quartet. If you haven't watched it yet, jump in. Also, some more recent viewings of mine:

340px-Okusama_wa%2C_Toriatsukai_Chuui.jpg

Okusama wa, Toriatsukai Chuui: About a woman who was abandoned at birth and later became a super spy. Now she decided to end her spy life and become an ordinary housewife, but old habits die hard as she uses her skills to help her neighbors. I enjoyed this one a lot though I really feel that Ayase Haruka herself is what held this show back. She just seemed halfway to a happy homemaker and halfway to a spy. The stories are very entertaining, some pretty risque content-wise. The ending was either spot-on or setting up a sequel, either is fine. 3 thumbs up emoji out of 5, 4 if you adore Ayase Haruka (or Tsubasa Honda who is great in this)

380px-Bokutachi_ga_Yarimashita.jpg

Bokutachi ga Yarimashita: About a group of high school students and their post-grad friend doing stupid shit then deciding to do something really really stupid that could ruin the rest of their lives. This show gets pretty gritty and graphic at times even though it maintains a lot of comedy throughout. Mei Nagano was adorable in this and most of the cast was pretty good outside of the extreme edgelord detective. Your moral compass is really put to work throughout the whole series and I appreciate the message the ending sends
don't do stupid shit that could hurt/kill people, ever
3 thumbs up emoji out of 5

360px-Saki_ni_Umareta_Dake_no_Boku.jpg

Saki ni Umareta Dake no Boku: About a salaryman who gets sent to be a principal because he backed the wrong executive in the company. Turns out the school is pretty bad ranking-wise and going broke as well. This is your standard teacher drama formula with some tweaks. Great cast but I had a number of issues with this one. First, Yu Aoi should've had more screen time, she's amazing.
She didn't deserve to have her relationship shoehorned in the last few minutes
Second, I didnt like how Mikako Tabe's character, Satoko, is portrayed as a lovesick airhead who can't focus on anything else. Third, Sho's character, Narumi, shows like less than zero romantic interest even though its so key to the plot so don't expect griping romcom here. Still, the supporting cast saves the day here, another 3 thumbs up emoji out of 5.

360px-Meishi_Game.jpg

Meishi Game: TV quiz show producer wakes up in a 999/zero escape scenario. Its WOWOW so you know things are gonna get pretty out there. Anything I say will be a major spoiler, just watch it. 4 thumbs up emoji out of 5.

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I will go on record to say The Public Enemy is the show of 2017, even above Quartet. If you haven't watched it yet, jump in.

Sure, we'll give that a go :) It'll be a few weeks before we get to it with 2 more eps of Harinezumi to watch, but I'm looking forward to it. Might give Meishi Game a look too as it seems a bit Liar Game-y.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I really don't like where Video Girl Ai 2018 is going now. I don't remember the source material that well, but knowing Katsura-sensei, it was obvious that we're going to get:
Creepy guys trying to get Ai for themselves
I hope this ends soon and the two main characters can get back to just chilling out at home and dealing with romance problems, because I feel that it's what this series is the best at doing.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Just binged all of Spring Has Come (Haru ga Kita)

what a terrible ending, 120% regret watching

will not even dignify it with a review

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Haruna Kawaguchi's latest drama launches via Amazon Prime on the 28th. I hope this releases on US Prime as well: http://asianwiki.com/Shiro_to_Kiiro:_Hawaii_to_Watashi_no_Pancake_Monogatari

Amazon has been making dramas exclusively for Prime Video (shows that do not broadcast on tv at all) for about 2 years now and have so far released nothing outside Japan nor have they said anything about it. Hoping recent shakeups might change this but so far I would expect nothing :(

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
WTF I had no idea there was a thread, I'm so excited!!

What is everyone's pick for the Winter season??
I've only been watching Keiji.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
No matter the streaming service they will all kind of suck because none of them offer FujiTV's dramas, which are some of the best highest rated dramas. Only way to get them is to subscribe to FOD.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm watching Video Girl Ai 2018 which is good thanks to Nishino playing Ai (the rest of it is eh).

I tried Kakegurui and Mob Psycho 100, which are both on Netflix Japan, but after 1-2 episodes of each I just watched the whole anime series for both and called it a day. They aren't that great and trying to mimic anime/manga mannerisms in a live action settings looks really bad.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
No matter the streaming service they will all kind of suck because none of them offer FujiTV's dramas, which are some of the best highest rated dramas. Only way to get them is to subscribe to FOD.

The streaming service Viu still gets 1-2 new Fujitv shows a season however they only are accessible in South/Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
Would be great if a western streaming service picked them up again after Crunchyroll's contract with them ran out.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The manga Saint Young Men that follows Jesus and Buddha living together in modern day Japan is getting a live action drama
https://t.co/HHH6RUJ7I2
Good cast, Yamada Takayuki as an executive producer, Fukuda Yuichi as director and writer. Should be a lot of fun. As someone who enjoyed the manga a lot I'm hyped

Edit : well, I guess it was announced in 2016 but we finally have more info

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Video Girl Ai 2018 which is good thanks to Nishino playing Ai (the rest of it is eh).

I tried Kakegurui and Mob Psycho 100, which are both on Netflix Japan, but after 1-2 episodes of each I just watched the whole anime series for both and called it a day. They aren't that great and trying to mimic anime/manga mannerisms in a live action settings looks really bad.

I'll check out Video Girl. To be honest , I shyed away from it because the promo material looked so tacky

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
OMG, I never knew that there's a JDorama thread here.

Too bad that my first post here is to bring a pretty sad news.

It gives me the chill. I watched lots of his dramas/movies. RIP. :(

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
If you have not watched Massage Detective Joe on Prime Video yet, I highly recommend it for some good laughs.

Also, more shows:

Joshi-teki_Seikatsu.jpg

Joshiteki Seikatsu: This short series (4 full length episodes) is about Miki, a transwoman who is lesbian, and the issues she runs into in Japan. Not just random strangers, but friends, family and workplace life too. Since it was based on a novel, of the same name, it is unlikely to ever see more of this unless the author writes a sequel. I thought Jun Shison did a fantastic portrayal and I really enjoyed seeing yet another progressive drama from Japan. The show really gave a sense of what trans people have to go through from various aspects of their life and internally as well. Five emoji thumbs up

Rental_Kyuseishu.jpg

Rental Kyuseishu: Dipped in the backlog for this 2016 show. Hit me hard to see Ren Osugi again right after his passing. About a salaryman who takes on a huge debt and loses his job from a business partner scamming him. He finds Rental Kyuseishu, who hire him right away as a rent-a-hero to solve any problem regardless of danger in promise of a very high salary to help ease his massive debt. Its kind of unfortunate that the plot gets too goofy at times
(the rapping lol and the hokey cheerleading)
because it really does have a great cast. There is a significant twist toward the end but don't expect anything seriously heavy. If you want a light hearted show with comedy and action scenes, hit it up. Three emoji thumbs up

Me and my wife randomly put on Mischievous Kiss on Netflix.
It's terrible.

I love it.

Make sure you watch Good Morning Call (both seasons) after

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Million Yen Women. Was surprised it was recommended here since I'd seen the synopsis and it seemed to be a crappy harem but I actually really enjoyed it. I really liked the slow thoughtfulness and questions it posed about the different value systems that people have and the ways of measuring them. I feel like having the father be on death row and the things that surrounded that choice was a genius touch that really elevated the show. The vitriol the author received from the fax machine poses the simple question of "why doesn't he just turn the fax off or remove the paper from it" which then leads the viewer down the rabbit hole to think on themes of penance and guilt and how we individually deal with occasions where saying sorry isn't nearly enough. The visiting of the still grieving mother emphasizes this point more clearly as he only visits her on days he visits his father, in some way we gain that in essence carrying out his filial duty to visit his father on death row and converse with him even though she cant talk to her son confers upon him some level of guilt which he must then assuage. I also felt like it has a very introspective and critical look at some aspects of Japanese culture, with clear shots at idol culture and the aspects of purity and sexual value it measures the women caught up in it by and there's also a clear attack on a system which seems to value mass appeal and self-absorption in the form of Hanaki Yuzu. The show holds popular appeal as an award for the author to reach out for, but then shows how the costs for getting it can be more than what you could have ever imagined. So despite the silly harem aspects, I found myself very much enjoying the show and the final reveal of the culprit caught me completely by surprise.

Anything else on Netflix which is good?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Hibana: Spark, Atelier, Good Morning Call, Re:Mind... All this for different reasons. I actually don't there's a drama on Netflix I haven't enjoyed yet.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hibana was so good. I need to pick up the book at some point.
Might be the best looking Japanese show ever produced.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Quartet 1

That was really good. So many moving plot lines. Can't wait to see what happens next!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just watched the first episode of Quartet last night as well. That Dragon Quest opening totally caught me off guard lol.

I like the characters and looking forward to where the plot is going.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku 01

Really fun and well though out mysteries and revelations. As expected of Nisio. Looking forward to watch more.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku 02

That was good. Everyone's pulling Yakusuke's leg but it's more amusing than it ought to be.

Really nice to end the episode with that little development between Kyouko and Yakusuke even if she doesn't remember it. I was honestly thinking she might reject.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This drama really took a huge drop in quality once Ai left the MC mid season. I feel like she was the only reason anyone would watch this show, and yet for some weird reason someone decided that it would be a good idea to make her leave and focus the story on the annoying MC and his friends. I guess you have to create tension, but because they are pretty terrible people, I feel like it just doesn't work. Even Nanami, who felt like a good person in the beginning was just the worst in the latest episode. I guess there's only one episode left, so I'll watch it until the end, but after a strong start I expected something much better.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
9 episodes into Unnatural, need to watch the last one ASAP.
Really solid procedural held by captivating overarching characters arcs. It definitely escalates in ways I didn't expect at first but I don't think it ever got that over the top. Yonezu Kenshi's theme song fits the show perfectly, such a winning combo.