• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The man that can't get married and jikou keisatsu? feels like I am in a time warp

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
So have been going on a Masato Sakai rampage lately and watched most of his drama series starting with Sanada Maru. Still don't know why I'm a huge fan but Hanzawa Naoki is like the top 5 J-drama I've ever watched.

Hanzawa Naoki is rad. Still hoping for that season 2 some day.

Not much going on with J-Drama with me, though I'm slowly getting through Anata no Ban Desu with a friend. Digging it so far, though only around 3 episodes in.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm so happy that The Man Who Can't Get Married S2 is a thing.

I'm a huge fan of Hiroshi Abe, especially in his slice of life/comedy dramas. His dumb face is just perfect for that kind of role. Sadly, he's been gone from that role for a while.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
I know its early, but I need to call it now

pc_topimage.jpg

Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita is Drama of the Year 2019.
It's about an OL who gets dumped by her bf and then comes upon this underground idol group. Theres a dark underplot here but I really don't want to spoil anything.
I have absolutely zero interest in idols but this show was so engrossing with such an excellent payoff. At times, its a very cautionary tale about idols and their fandom (Kurita get in here)
A must watch for anyone interested in Japanese Dramas. A full 5 emoji thumbs up 👍👍👍👍👍

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

pc_topimage.jpg

It's about an OL who gets dumped by her bf and then comes upon this underground idol group. Theres a dark underplot here but I really don't want to spoil anything.
I have absolutely zero interest in idols but this show was so engrossing with such an excellent payoff. At times, its a very cautionary tale about idols and their fandom (Kurita get in here)
A must watch for anyone interested in Japanese Dramas. A full 5 emoji thumbs up 👍👍👍👍👍
I'll try and move it up to the top of my to-watch list then.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hmm I'll give it a try.

New season of Ossan's Love just started and it's already quite fun. Completely missed that it took place in an alternate universe.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

pc_topimage.jpg

Oh shit, Sei Shiraisi is in there. I loved here in I"s, gotta watch this for sure.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just finished watching this drama, Watashi, Teiji de Kaerimasu (I Will Not Work Overtime, Period), and it's such an entertaining watch.

No_Working_After_Hours-p1.jpg

First, I love the office as it resembles my office so much, and it's an agency providing website creation and maintenance. My company is also an agency even though not specialize in website development, but their daily activities are very similar from what I saw, so I can relate so much to their struggle in each episode. It's kinda eye-opening that the Japanese are proud of leaving late from work, and it's very hard to find companies that encourage leaving on time culture. The show is all about working culture and how they handle their projects. There's also some romance sprinkled in there, but it's not the focus. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I wished it to be though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
People who open flower shops can't be bad people, right?

smpt222.jpg

Bara no Nai Hanaya / Flower Shop Without Roses

Oh my God. This drama was originally aired all the way back in 2008, and probably subbed shortly after that. How did I miss this gem? What an amazing show, full of plot twists and wonderful yet believable characters.

It's about a guy who runs a flower shop with her wonderful daughter. He's a single father, but they always have a fun and peaceful life. He's an amazing dad who raise her daughter alone in such a wonderful and inspiring way. In some rainy day, he met a woman in front of the shop, and it changes everything. I know that it's an old drama, but I just can't bear to spoil it to anyone who haven't watched it. All I can say that the writer put such a perfect title for this story.

Anyway, above all, what amazes me the most is the main character, Eiji. He's such a nice guy and that probably won't be enough to describe how nice he is. He's like the Prophet or even Buddha, who is always willing to help anyone in need. But Eiji, he has no secondary motive at all, he's not preaching, hoping for people to return a favor for him, or anything. He simply want the people around him to be happy. His kindness simply has no bound, he's willing to suffer for other's happiness. And he never hold grudge. I know it's a fiction, but still. He's simply inspirational and think a lot about my life while watching this drama. I aspire to be like him, even for a bit.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So the year is almost over....what were the best dramas that people watched this year? I've watched none so I'd appreciate lists!

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
texhnolyze I'm really enjoying reading your reviews in this thread. Do you have a MyDramaList page? I'd like to see your ratings for the dramas you've watched.

Mine is here BTW. Anyone in this thread, feel free to add me or message me on there.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
texhnolyze I'm really enjoying reading your reviews in this thread. Do you have a MyDramaList page? I'd like to see your ratings for the dramas you've watched.

Mine is here BTW. Anyone in this thread, feel free to add me or message me on there.
Thanks! I have some other reviews too that I've posted in another site, I'll put them here gradually later.

I do have an account over there, but sadly I've never write any review yet. I only use it to keep track of dramas that I've watch and I'm planning to watch. I'm at 230 dramas completed now, but I'm sure there are still more that I missed, especially older dramas from 2005 and below. I've been watching J-dramas since forever.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I have some other reviews too that I've posted in another site, I'll put them here gradually later.

I do have an account over there, but sadly I've never write any review yet. I only use it to keep track of dramas that I've watch and I'm planning to watch. I'm at 230 dramas completed now, but I'm sure there are still more that I missed, especially older dramas from 2005 and below. I've been watching J-dramas since forever.
Well, if you rate your shows as you go, just the ratings would be awesome to see, and I'd be psyched to see your reviews from the other site you mentioned. I enjoy reading jdrama reviews a ton and there are really so few out there on the web. Dramajjang and Ritsu no Doramaland are two of my faves but I think they're pretty much defunct at this point. Ritsu does subs though, as avianpiper, including recent dramas Sagideka and Hitori Camp.

I too have not watched many shows from before 2004. There are a few I have my eye on, though. Just started watching in 2013 or so but jdramas are one of my favorite things now.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, that's the problem, I didn't leave the ratings too lol. When I realized I should've done that since the beginning, it was already too late and I'm too lazy to scan them all over again haha. Anyway, there aren't that many, just a few I've posted in the past few months. I need to write more but I usually only write one for dramas that I love so much and/or left quite an impression. Here's one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what if I like to be alone?!

He_Who_Cant_Marry_Season_2-p1.jpg

Mada Kekkon Dekinai Otoko / The Man Who Still Can't Get Married

Oh boy, it's the second season of my favorite dorama from the previous decades (14 years ago!). While the female characters are changed, the star is still the one and only Kuwano Shinsuke. He's a 53-year-old bachelor who already has everything in his life. Money, status, his own architecture firm, spacious condo, you name it. But he lacks one major thing that most men strive for, a woman of his life. It's not like he's bothered by his single status, he's actually proud of it. Being single is just his way of life. That said, it's also not quite possible for a woman to fall for him, as he has such a toxic mouth and would criticize and sneer at anyone who has different views than him. However, he never really intend any harm in his words, he's just.. pure.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing, texhnolyze. I'm just about to start that drama this weekend so I'll wait to read it thereafter. And you'll be glad to hear I plan to start Mikazuki soon.

-

For the current season, Theseus no Fune (also an avianpiper sub) and 10 no Himitsu (no subs yet, I think) have caught my eye the most, but I'm also interested in the new Nogi Akiko drama and Providing Alibi Cracking (from the writer of Todome no Kisu, one of my dramas).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts on recent dramas, mostly 2019 shows so you might find something that catches your eye Rainy. And to Aizō I'd say Nagi and Kinou below were two of my faves of the decade, but I'll have to check my MDL to see what others fit that bill.

640px-NagiNoOitoma2019.jpg

So, Nagi no Oitoma was absolutely wonderful. It's a story about a woman who spends her whole life trying to "read the atmosphere" and meet everyone's expectations. She reaches a point where she can't go on like this anymore, and quits her job to move to the countryside and rediscover herself. What stuck with me most were the scenes of Nagi and her compatriots playing the Game of Life together and cooking together. The scenes at the snack bar were great, too. I was so pleased with how things ended up, too. I loved the music in this drama, also.

600px-Kinou_nani_tabeta.jpg

Another one of my favorite shows of 2019 was Kinou Nana Tabeta? The question mark is part of the title. The show centers on a gay couple in Tokyo and is just about their everyday life, trials and tribulations. Nishijima Hidetoshi and Uchino Seiyou, two of the best actors in dramas, play the main characters, a lawyer and a hairdresser. I was so touched by so many scenes in this drama. Each episode is half an hour and while there's a focus on cooking in many episodes, the general feel is more just slice of life. The episodes span over a year in the characters' lives so you feel like you get a significant window into a wide swath of meaningful moments for them. As an avid cook and thriftwise person, I also appreciated the cooking angle. There's a SP for this drama but I'm not sure if it has subs. (Edit: since writing this bit, I got to see the very enjoyable SP.)

I was looking forward to Ore no Hanashi wa Nagai very much but I couldn't get into the first episode. I might give it another try. I was interested because Kaneko Shigeki wrote the series and also penned Sekai Ichi Muzukashii Koi which we enjoyed very much last year. That drama had a bit of a deflated ending but was consistently hilarious in its depiction of the main character's preposterous attempts at romance. The characters in Ore no Hanashi seemed a bit more grating but maybe they grow on you. I like the cast a lot but the fast-paced insult-flinging dialogue didn't grab me.

Oh, we also watched Sagideka. It was ok. It's a semi-procedural detective story about phone scams. We were mainly interested as Fumino-san fans. It started interestingly enough but kind of petered out halfway through. It's only 5 episodes or so but I can't give it much of a recommendation.

800px-Mare_main.jpg

We recently enjoyed the very last episodes of the asadora Mare. It has been a heck of a ride since we started watching it in April of last year. Except for a couple of lulls, we've found it to be wonderful and worth watching. I think Hiyokko edges it out overall but it's still great, and sticking with it for 156 episodes is really a testament to its quality. I'm glad we stuck with this one. It's a sweet, meaningful show with a massive cast of compelling characters, plus some delicious-looking cakes. The cakes in the credits sequence are kinda blah so I was glad to see the cakes in the actual series are much more impressive.

I'm watching Hitori Camp de Kuttu Neru. It's my lunch break show. Each episode alternates stories of Oki-san and Nanako-san. Oki-san likes to camp and eat canned foods. Nanako-san likes to forage for wild ingredients. This is one of those chilled out, almost zen dramas that's halfway between a nature documentary and a slice of life story. It's oddly relaxing to watch. I think this is the same kind of reason why people like ASMR videos. (The canned foods Oki-san enjoys are pretty weird and IMO unappealing, though.)

500px-Hanbunaoi2018.jpg

We recently started the asadora Hanbun, Aoi, which so far is very good. Completely different kind of story and time period from Hiyokko and Mare. The character is born in the 70's so it's interesting to see this period of Japanese history. It's from the writer of Orange Days, which is one of my faves, so I have high hopes for it. The subber told me it's his favorite asadora and he's even planning to rewatch it, which is a real an endeavor at 156 episodes.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Something else I meant to share with y'all at the end of last year.

(Note: this is not self-promotion, the video link is private & there are no ads. I just want to share this in case you get some enjoyment from it.)

For Japanese practice and as an extra X-Mas gift, I wanted to try to sub(title) something in English I thought my wife would enjoy. This is the first time I've subbed something.

Here's the video I ended up subbing. It's from an episode of Hajimete no Otsukai, aka My First Errand. It was tricky because I was working from auto-generated Japanese subs that were maybe 70% accurate, and needed a lot of re-timing. I think I managed to figure out most of it, though.

Hope you enjoy it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Some thoughts on recent dramas, mostly 2019 shows so you might find something that catches your eye Rainy. And to Aizō I'd say Nagi and Kinou below were two of my faves of the decade, but I'll have to check my MDL to see what others fit that bill.

640px-NagiNoOitoma2019.jpg

So, Nagi no Oitoma was absolutely wonderful. It's a story about a woman who spends her whole life trying to "read the atmosphere" and meet everyone's expectations. She reaches a point where she can't go on like this anymore, and quits her job to move to the countryside and rediscover herself. What stuck with me most were the scenes of Nagi and her compatriots playing the Game of Life together and cooking together. The scenes at the snack bar were great, too. I was so pleased with how things ended up, too. I loved the music in this drama, also.

600px-Kinou_nani_tabeta.jpg

Another one of my favorite shows of 2019 was Kinou Nana Tabeta? The question mark is part of the title. The show centers on a gay couple in Tokyo and is just about their everyday life, trials and tribulations. Nishijima Hidetoshi and Uchino Seiyou, two of the best actors in dramas, play the main characters, a lawyer and a hairdresser. I was so touched by so many scenes in this drama. Each episode is half an hour and while there's a focus on cooking in many episodes, the general feel is more just slice of life. The episodes span over a year in the characters' lives so you feel like you get a significant window into a wide swath of meaningful moments for them. As an avid cook and thriftwise person, I also appreciated the cooking angle. There's a SP for this drama but I'm not sure if it has subs. (Edit: since writing this bit, I got to see the very enjoyable SP.)

I was looking forward to Ore no Hanashi wa Nagai very much but I couldn't get into the first episode. I might give it another try. I was interested because Kaneko Shigeki wrote the series and also penned Sekai Ichi Muzukashii Koi which we enjoyed very much last year. That drama had a bit of a deflated ending but was consistently hilarious in its depiction of the main character's preposterous attempts at romance. The characters in Ore no Hanashi seemed a bit more grating but maybe they grow on you. I like the cast a lot but the fast-paced insult-flinging dialogue didn't grab me.

Oh, we also watched Sagideka. It was ok. It's a semi-procedural detective story about phone scams. We were mainly interested as Fumino-san fans. It started interestingly enough but kind of petered out halfway through. It's only 5 episodes or so but I can't give it much of a recommendation.

800px-Mare_main.jpg

We recently enjoyed the very last episodes of the asadora Mare. It has been a heck of a ride since we started watching it in April of last year. Except for a couple of lulls, we've found it to be wonderful and worth watching. I think Hiyokko edges it out overall but it's still great, and sticking with it for 156 episodes is really a testament to its quality. I'm glad we stuck with this one. It's a sweet, meaningful show with a massive cast of compelling characters, plus some delicious-looking cakes. The cakes in the credits sequence are kinda blah so I was glad to see the cakes in the actual series are much more impressive.

I'm watching Hitori Camp de Kuttu Neru. It's my lunch break show. Each episode alternates stories of Oki-san and Nanako-san. Oki-san likes to camp and eat canned foods. Nanako-san likes to forage for wild ingredients. This is one of those chilled out, almost zen dramas that's halfway between a nature documentary and a slice of life story. It's oddly relaxing to watch. I think this is the same kind of reason why people like ASMR videos. (The canned foods Oki-san enjoys are pretty weird and IMO unappealing, though.)

500px-Hanbunaoi2018.jpg

We recently started the asadora Hanbun, Aoi, which so far is very good. Completely different kind of story and time period from Hiyokko and Mare. The character is born in the 70's so it's interesting to see this period of Japanese history. It's from the writer of Orange Days, which is one of my faves, so I have high hopes for it. The subber told me it's his favorite asadora and he's even planning to rewatch it, which is a real an endeavor at 156 episodes.
Thanks for the tag! I'll take a look. I'm always happy to be tagged for good drama/movie recs!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The ones to whom you always return even after a fight is the family.
The person who is moving forward with you after a fight is a lover.

My_Family_Goes_Viral-p1.jpg

Mukai no Bazuru Kazoku / My Family Goes Viral

This show took me by surprise. The plot itself is very interesting, it's basically a story about a family whose members unexpectedly goes viral one by one. It also sounds pretty simple judging by that definition, but the story telling is so good with lots of interesting twists and tear-jerking moments. It also teaches us about social media's effect on individuals and families, how scary it is to become famous all of a sudden. The ending was pretty great and satisfying too, and Grandpa is the best character.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Very late but thanks for all the recommendations. I haven't watched a J-drama in a few years fully, time to really jump back in.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
any news on when hanzawa naoki 2 starts?
i know it got delayed because of corona from april 19th original date

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The loss of D Addicts really killed the J-drama scene unfortunately. Almost nothing is getting subbed and there isn't a legal way to stream J-drama.

It's really sad
Isn't the d-addicts forum still up? Did they just take down all the subtitled stuff? I also thought Viki and stuff were allowing J-dramas to be subbed. Regardless it kinda sucks, J-drama subs were already pretty sparse a few years ago and I feel like the scene has slowly died as time went on.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to get involved with fan subbing but legit found it impossible to contact someone who needed/wanted help with it..

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the latest Hanzawa Naoki episode and I gotta say that the final moment of it certainly did send chills down my spine. Crazy how the plot has progressed this season.

千倍返しだ!!!!!!!!

Sharingan9092

Nov 19, 2020
Saka no ue no kumo. A historical drama based on the Battle of Tsushima in the Russo-Japanese War. Highly recommended!

Unfortunately I'm not that into historical dramas but maybe when I have time I will give it a try!

Super Salaryman Saenai-san. It's a trainwreck in a very good way, the kind of stuff I need in these hard times.

You only need to see the main poster to see what this is all about.

Super_Salaryman_Mr._Saenai-p1.jpg

Anyway, it's good to see that this thread is still alive, even though barely.

Judging by the poster it looks interesting haha
I am always looking for a comedy Jdrama! Added to my watchlist!

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Should I watch 1 Litre no Namida, or would that be a mistake? I've been thinking about it for years, but it seems (like the title) really fucking sad.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Should I watch 1 Litre no Namida, or would that be a mistake? I've been thinking about it for years, but it seems (like the title) really fucking sad.
Yeah, it's one of the saddest stories out there, not just in the Japanese drama scene. It was localized and aired in our national TV here back then, it was super popular everyone in our class was talking about it. Anyway, it's also pretty old, so unless you have the dvd, available in HD VoD or found a good stream, the image quality may not be too clean for today's standard.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, it's one of the saddest stories out there, not just in the Japanese drama scene. It's also pretty old, so unless you have the dvd, available in HD VoD or found a good stream, the image quality may not be too clean for today's standard.
I'm shocked that there aren't more classic J dramas on Japanese netflix. So annoying.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Didn't know there was a J-Drama OT on ERA. What a surprise!

I went down the rabbit hole thanks to the game Judgment, that stars Kimtaku. Got curious about his other works so I pretty much started this J-Drama journey by binging a ton of his dramas such as Hero, Long Vacation, Beautiful Life, Pride, B.G., etc. Loved them all, especially Beautiful Life. After that, I've pretty much started watching all sorts of dramas, old and new, It's been a fun experience.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Lots of dorama shows have ended this week or the next. Gotta start with Gokushufudo and 35sai no Shojo. There's also Alice in Borderland on Netflix.

It's gonna be a busy month for me.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of dorama shows have ended this week or the next. Gotta start with Gokushufudo and 35sai no Shojo. There's also Alice in Borderland on Netflix.

It's gonna be a busy month for me.
What's been the best shows you've watched this year?

I haven't really watched anything but was gonna see if I could find subs for some Masaki Suda stuff like Mr. Hiiragi's homeroom and maybe that new show he did with Hoshino Gen called MIU 404.

Also wanted to check out Gokushufudo and from last year. Your Turn to Kill.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's been the best shows you've watched this year?

I haven't really watched anything but was gonna see if I could find subs for some Masaki Suda stuff like Mr. Hiiragi's homeroom and maybe that new show he did with Hoshino Gen called MIU 404.

Also wanted to check out Gokushufudo and from last year. Your Turn to Kill.
I haven't watched everything, especially some summer and most autumn dramas that I mentioned in my previous post above. I usually focus my genre on romance, slice of life, comedy, or a combination of them. Some of my highlights this year are Watashi no Kaseifu Nagisa-san, Oyabaka Seishun Hakusho, Karera wo Mirebawakaru Koto, Tokyo Love Story, Suit S2 and Rental Nanmo Shinai Hito. I also watched Guilty ~ Kono Ai Tsumi Desu Ka and Watashitachi wa Douka Shiteiru, among others that I don't quite remember. These two have ridiculous story and quite melodramatic, if you're into that.