• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ix-days-holiday-cigarette-break-a8028541.html

A Japanese company is granting its non-smoking staff an additional six days of holiday a year to make up for the time off smokers take for cigarette breaks.

Marketing firm Piala Inc introduced the new paid leave allowance in September after non-smokers complained they were working more than their colleagues who smoked.

Hirotaka Matsushima, a spokesman for the company, told The Telegraph: "One of our non-smoking staff put a message in the company suggestion box earlier in the year saying that smoking breaks were causing problems."

Following the suggestion, the company's CEO Takao Asuka decided to give non-smoking employees extra time off to compensate, Mr Matsushima added.

The matter has been taken seriously by the Tokyo-based company which is reportedly based on the 29th floor of an office block — making any cigarette break last at least 15 minutes, according to staff.

Mr Asuka hopes the scheme will create an incentive for the company's staff to quit smoking.

I've been saying this for years! At my first office job it boggled my mind that smokers were entitled to seemingly unlimited smoke breaks. "They're not on break-they're smoking." This was an actual sentence someone said.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
This is an awesome idea and something I wish would catch on in the US. Smoke breaks are bullshit and often amount to the time of an extra lunch break while the rest of us suckers toil.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Never understood why smokers gets an extra privilege. Too bad I don't live in Japan.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be all for this. In my first job I knew people who took up smoking specifically because it got them more breaks.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Please enact this at my job.
There were a few times at my last job where my entire team would leave to smoke and I'd be the only one still inside dealing with customers. It was terrible.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people who don't poop at work get a few extra days to make up for the time used by those who do go number 2?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That would be excellent here, except we're on a no-smoking campus anyway. Granted, we do have one smoker that smokes in her car. I'd be fine with 6 extra vacation days to continue my lifelong non-smoking habit.

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've been living in Japan for 8 years and working here for 5. Smoking is unfortunately a very popular pastime among all age groups and it is extremely rare but much refreshing seeing a Japanese organization, not usually known for their open-mindness and progressiveness, go ahead and do something like this. I sincerely hope it catches on. This and the talk about karoshi on global media makes me hopeful for this country's future for the first time in a ver long time.

Grizzo

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Pretty big difference. Pooping is a necessity, smoking is a choice.

But isn't a cigarette break just an excuse to have a break anyway? I mean as long as people don't take a cigarette break every hour but like, every three hours, it should be okay, no? I think working non-stop without ever taking a break should not be recommended.

NES

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Reasonable. Smokers get far too much preferential treatment.
not sure if this is a serious post, but in California we are chastised pretty severely. I've had complete strangers tell me to put out my cigarette in certain areas of Los Angeles. When I'm smoking somewhere 100% legal to smoke a cig. Its pretty ridiculous.

the way most non-smokers treat smokers is pretty disgusting tbh.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Six days seems a bit much.

I've only worked in one office, but the smokers I've known and including myself, usually take short/no lunch break and rarely take the full 15 minute break every 2 hours we're supposed to. But I realize there are plenty of other smokers who take excessive breaks.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I take smoke breaks, just without the smoke. You do realize you can take a break during the day or take a 20 minute dump like the rest of us, right?

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think it's a good step, if it's not incentive for them to stop then increase the amount of days. I do think smoking is still too pervasive within Japanese culture. Personally, I hate to be in a restaurant where a person sat on the table next to me lit one up.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
While this is a good idea its kind of a pointless gesture when none of the workers will actually use their vacation days. Most Japanese workers use 10 or less of their average 30 vacation days allotted each year. So 6 extra days does nothing. Its likely just for some good PR and free advertising.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I just take the break like a smoker would and if anyone gives me shit I point out what the smokers get. Easy.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
While this is a good idea its kind of a pointless gesture when none of the workers will actually use their vacation days. Most Japanese workers use 10 or less of their average 30 vacation days allotted each year. So 6 extra days does nothing. Its likely just for some good PR and free advertising.

Good sentiment but that being Japan those extra days are never gonna be used anyway....

Pretty much how I feel.
For reference, a study from last year or the year before showed that people here take less than half of their paid leave.

And from what I usually see (anecdotal evidence alert) I'd say they usually only use it when convenient for "everyone" - Golden Week, Obon, New Year's, so it's not even as if they choose how to use whatever little leave they take.