• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: I'm talking about AA/AAA games because its quantity can be compared to the Japanese output. Indie games are pretty much not a thing in Japan so there's no comparision to be made.

We should look at major Western developers/publishers to confirm this claim:

Valve - made multiple masterpieces during the last gen including the Portal series, Left For Dead series and Team Fortress 2. Now is only making money on weapon skins.

EA: One of the most diverse publishers during the last generation: Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age. After having found immense success with FUT MTX they are now chasing after the reccuring revenue model.

Rockstar: We know all about the 1-game every year image. 2 GTA games, MP 3, L.A Noire, Midnight Club saw the light of day during the last-gen. I'm sure RDR2 is going to be a masterpiece but the difference is staggering.

MS: Majority agrees that the early years of X360 included the best 1st party output in MS's history. This gen was filled with cancellations because MS didn't see much value in traditional console games.

If all publishers/devs were like Bethesda, Naughty Dog or CDPR and never stopped seeing value in traditional console games without chasing f2p/mobile money we wouldn't see so many people doubting the quality of western game developement.
Greed killed the West. No outside force and certainly not Japanese devs.

Mod Edit: Lets have a conversation without console warring or insulting another poster. Consider this a warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, well if there's an internet meme about Xbox having no games, surely that case is closed.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between wanting to point out that there are a shitload of great Western games out right now, and more keep coming out every day, and being happy to argue that there hasn't been a single Japanese game released in the past half dozen years that's as good as the best the West has to offer right now... aaaaand wanting to scream at the OP for arguing that service-based games aren't games, because that's a horribly dumbass opinion to have, and it was just as dumbass when Jim Sterling had it.

MS: There's a internet meme about Xbox having no games. Enough said.

They ought to pull your posting privileges for this console war nonsense right here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play Forza Motorsport 7.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You need to realize that AAA gaming is a small subset of the gaming industry.

Go pick up Celeste. No, they didnt stop making games.

Yager

Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn between wanting to point out that there are a shitload of great Western games out right now, and more keep coming out every day, and being happy to argue that there hasn't been a single Japanese game released in the past half dozen years that's as good as the best the West has to offer right now... aaaaand wanting to scream at the OP for arguing that service-based games aren't games, because that's a horribly dumbass opinion to have, and it was just as dumbass when Jim Sterling had it.

They ought to pull your posting privileges for this console war nonsense right here.

But real games are the ones you only pay once for the full experience. No DLC, no MTX, no lootboxes. Only one time. That's a real game.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give Japan some time and they'll jump on monetization train as well. I can agree that some devs/pubs have dropped the ball to a degree but I think this is a little extreme.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
You do know Nintendo falls under Japanese devs right? "Westernized" as the might be, Sony too.

Edit: Also "westerns devs" aren't just EA/T2/Ubisoft/Acti-Bliz ect. <- They might not make games any more, as you say, but others are.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is making great games right now. East, West, we're literally drowning in great games.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone trying to defend the west by acting as if all AAA western games are service based games and pretending that non-AAA games are real games so the OP is wrong need to stop.

1) there are a shitload of non service-based AAA western games

2) service-based games are still games, jfc

But real games are the ones you only pay once for the full experience. No DLC, no MTX, no lootboxes. Only one time. That's a real game.

You really wanna tell me that World of Warcraft isn't a real game? Fuck outta here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean we can still take what we've got with the likes of Uncharteds and Overwatch and The Witcher 3 and DOOM and CoD and whatever else and compare them to the current slate of Japanese games and I prefer the latter.

I get your point but there are also many Japanese devs/franchises who have gone kaput/on ice recently too...

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I think this claim was already debunked several times in an ongoing thread. Big publishers isn't all there is to the game development.

And aren't Capcom and Koei poster-children of greed in the industry as well?

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017

They ought to pull your posting privileges for this console war nonsense right here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play Forza Motorsport 7.
I'm not saying that service based games aren't games. The fact that pubs are all seeking to make long-term services means that there won't be many if any sequels = less games = my point.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Nah the big publishers inflating game budgets to snuff out competition and chasing ever more revenue to offset the costs has led to the reality we see for AAA games in the West now. Eventually (I hope) the monoliths will implode and numerous smaller companies will rise up to take their place.

Sea of Thieves is out next month. Name me one big Xbox exclusive that we KNOW is coming in 2018 that follows after it.

Crackdown? I think? It's still coming this year right?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, well if there's an internet meme about Xbox having no games, surely that case is closed.

Such profound evidence, Cuphead, Forza Horizon 3, Halo 5, Gears 4, Ori must've been an illusion.

Extremely simplistic and erroneous arguments OP. Not sure how you link Rockstar producing masterpieces ever few years as being inactive. Annual releases isnt a sign of quality, and you dismissed thier GTA5 release which is one of the most played and best selling games this gen.

spladam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, I assume you believe AAA video games are the only games worth counting, yes? Off the top of my head: Hyper Light Drifter, Stardew Valley, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Desync, Katan Zero, Cup Head.

A lot of times we have an idea for a thread that is not a "good" idea if we think about it for a second.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
have you seen Japans output in the 90s compared to now?

if anyone stopped making games its Japan

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Because we know for a fact japanese devs arent doing DLC, F2P and GaaS games. Yep.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
Was JUST having a conversation on Discord about how people just completely ignore non-AAA because they want to complain about stuff.
That attitude is even present on this forum. Indie games are seen as software that is supposed to be cheap and undeserving of a person's attention unless it's on sale/deep discounts. If a dev has the audacity to charge $40+ people even flame them.

Forgetting Indie means Independent

Yager

Oct 26, 2017
OP, I assume you believe AAA video games are the only games worth counting, yes? Off the top of my head: Hyper Light Drifter, Stardew Valley, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Desync, Katan Zero.

A lot of times we have an idea for a thread that is not a "good" idea if we think about it for a second.

I mean...

I have a AAA bias. Don't care too much about indie games.

Like it or not, indie games are games to. REAL GAMES. Because you don't care about them doesn't mean they don't exist or are not important to the industry and consumers.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Ah yes. Internet memes from console fanboys. The greatest evidence one can have.

This is such a bizarre OP.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I don't get this thread. I understand that you think Western publishers are in decline but why make it a Japan versus West thing? Can't we just be happy that Japanese companies are back in the game now and be grateful that we've literally been drowning in great games for the past 2 years? 2018 is looking to be just as stellar too, and that mainly thanks to Western publishers.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The West is still alive and well, EA, Valve, Activision and Microsoft might have gone to shit but there are still plenty of developers out there. Especially easter European devs are picking up a lot of the slack.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We should look at major Western developers/publishers to confirm this claim:

Valve - made multiple masterpieces during the last gen including the Portal series, Left For Dead series and Team Fortress 2. Now is only making money on weapon skins.

EA: One of the most diverse publishers during the last generation: Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age. After having found immense success with FUT MTX they are now chasing after the reccuring revenue model.

Rockstar: We know all about the 1-game every year image. 2 GTA games, MP 3, L.A Noire, Midnight Club saw the light of day during the last-gen. I'm sure RDR2 is going to be a masterpiece but the difference is staggering.

MS: There's a internet meme about Xbox having no games. Enough said.

If all publishers/devs were like Bethesda, Naughty Dog or CDPR and never stopped seeing value in traditional console games without chasing f2p/mobile money we wouldn't see so many people doubting the quality of western game developement.
Greed killed the West. No outside force and certainly not Japanese devs.
Please ERA, stop seeing the west as just the US, I already had to keep my blue and white blood from boiling in the "Blame Bernie Stolar for the western failure of Saturn". In EUrope the Saturn had it's own reasons for failing, some of which SEGA's fault, the other like, Sony's existing retail relationships, not.

Same goes for this case: You cannot just stroke the entire First world with a "WEST!" brush, nor can you behave like what US companies do, represents what European companies do. It is very similar to that hilarious "Videogame crash!"crap that keep popping up. Something that only happened in the USA, as the rest of the Western World was playing on Home Computers like the C64 and ZX Spectrum. From that home computer craze we in Europe got most of our current day game devs and a very different dev culture than the USA.

Which brings me to the point: European Devs seem far less MTXy and lootboxy than say US Devs. There are exceptions like Dice, but even they are under a US umbrella of EA. Ubisoft for instance is by far not as predatory, CDPR is a saint in comparison. True, some parallels can be drawn, and with gigantic publishers like EA and Ubisoft there is a global presence. But I do believe ERA has a bit of a US Bias, which is fine. But please do not use that BIAS to paint the whole of the Western Dev culture.

It's like that obnoxious :"Western Devs couldn't program music engines and compose!" or :"Western Devs weren't used to FM!" crap. Yes they were, Chris Huelsbeck made the Megadrive SING! Just US composers were lacking at the time.

Last edited:

Yager

Oct 26, 2017
Title should be
Japanese games aren't better than western games. The west just stopped making games that I care about.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
*shrug*

I basically only play western games and there are so still so many that I literally cannot keep up.

It's not like I buy all of them either, I'm pretty damn picky about what I play.

Don't get me wrong, there's no shortage of microtransaction-driven games-as-service bullshit going around, but there's also no shortage of plain ol' games.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think the good games these days are more in the AA and Indie space than AAA space to be honest. The AAA space is reserved for grindy never ending service games. To be honest im not really that interested in those type of games but there are loads of other options in the mid tier and indie space.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That attitude is even present on this forum. Indie games are seen as software that is supposed to be cheap and undeserving of a person's attention unless it's on sale/deep discounts. If a dev has the audacity to charge $40+ people even flame them.

Forgetting Indie means Independent

Even worse for some people, they're only worth their value in PS+ or GwG subscriptions. Very disappointing attitude that some people with an 'AAA bias' have.

Also re-reading the OP and lol at the internet meme being used as evidence or some such.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the thread quality on resetera in the last weeks?

Western developers stopped making games? Sure thing, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.