• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
vWzPgsW.png

With the release of 51 Worldwide Games for the Nintendo Switch, I thought about all the people that are going to try out riichi mahjong for the first time. Perhaps you played it before in the Yakuza series but were too overwhelmed by all those tiles, weird names, and the complexity of the rules to really get into it. Maybe now is the time to give it another shot.

Explaining riichi mahjong isn't something you can do in one sitting. It has like a million different rules. You can teach someone how develop a winning hand, but learning every single winning pattern, how to calculate scores, and all the intricacies takes a lot of time and dedication. Still, don't let that intimidate you. Keep playing and believe me when I say that all the pieces will start falling into place eventually. Mahjong can be just as fun even if you don't know every rule right off the bat anyway!

Luckily for us, mahjong video games streamline many of the aspects that people can find frustrating. Score is calculated automatically, some games tell you which tile you should discard after declaring riichi, others let you hover over any tile in your hand to highlight any same tile that has already been discarded… Things like that.

I'm not going to write an extensive guide on how to play because there already exist websites where everything is explained much better than I could ever hope to. I'm not an expert by any means, I don't have the answer to every question. I'm trying to get better at this game myself. So, if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
It's my first OT, please be nice.

The purpose of this thread:
  • Get people interested in Japanese mahjong
  • Explain just enough rules to help new players win some games
  • Recommend mahjong resources
  • Recommend mahjong games
  • Ask and answer questions
  • Play together!

Okay, so some of the things that I've written here might sound strange or convoluted, and I might not have been able to explain things as clear as I could have, but please bear with me here. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them. Here we go.

Let's start with the suits

In mahjong there are 3 suits with values that go from 1 to 9:

75FqnYj.png

Pinzu (dots/circles)

XZL8kmV.png

Souzu (bamboos)

9CNSdKD.png

Manzu (characters)

There are 3 types of dragon tiles
iGb1hjH.png

White dragon
Green dragon
Red dragon

And 4 types of wind tiles:
7Xob5Om.png

East
South
West
North

Tiles with the values 1 and 9 are called terminal tiles.

Tiles with values 2-8 are called simple tiles.

Dragon and Wind tiles are called honor tiles.

Every single tile in the game has 4 copies, which makes a total of 136 tiles.

tiY93lL.png

It would be very useful to remember the order of both dragon and wind tiles as soon as possible. For the dragon tiles, it's quite easy, since it's alphabetical: (G)reen goes first, then (R)ed, then (W)hite.

You'll have to memorize the wind order, so repeat after me: East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North!

Trust me, it'll be useful later.

Okay, so what's up with the wind?

At all times, every player is designated as 東East, 南South, 西West, or 北North. Seat winds go in that order, counterclockwise, with the dealer always being East. For example, let's say you're the dealer. Your seat wind is East. To your right sits South. In front of you sits West. To you left sits North.

East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North!

During the game, the dealer seat rotates counterclockwise among the players. This means the designation for East, South, West and North also rotates with the dealer position.

I guess at this point I should also try to explain what wind rounds are. A wind round is full round where each player has been the dealer at least once (if dealer wins a hand, he gets to be dealer again), supposing the game doesn't end prematurely, like if someone has a crazy strong hand that takes from another player every single point they had left or something.

vZ0iQPh.png

East Round 4

Remaining tiles. (Nice)

Players have 25000 points.

In this image, the players are currently playing the 4th hand of the East, or in other words, East Round 4. The player's current seat wind is South.

A full game of mahjong is either played for two wind rounds (East round and South round – this is called "hanchan"), or just one round (East round only – called "tonpuusen").

Playing the game

hmH29Lt.png

You typically begin the game with 25 000 points. Your goal is to take points from other players by building a strong winning hand. Think of it like poker, except players can't choose how much they bet. The amount of points you win will depend on how strong/complex your hand is.

At the start of a round, you are dealt 13 tiles. You draw and discard a tile every turn.

howtoplay10.jpg

You do this until you have a valid hand. Let's say 4 tile sets (somestimes referred to as melds) and 1 pair. As a general rule.

What is a set/meld?

There are three types of tile sets, known as mentsu.

OQghbvU.png

Shuntsu (a sequence) - colloquially "chii"

5HNwOsY.png

Koutsu (triplets) - colloquially "pon"

vMz0ZVQ.png

Kantsu (quads) - colloquially "kan"
These have the same function as triplets. They need to be called and are always set aside. Can be closed if the 4th tile is self drawn.

Every tile set must be of a single suit, and you can't mix honor tiles in a set.

Lastly, there's the pair of the hand, also called jantou.

Stealing tiles

A3fxKFm.png

If you have 2 tiles of a set, and another player discards the third tile you need to complete it, a prompt will pop up letting you know that you can "steal" it by calling "chii", "pon" or "kan". Stealing essentially makes it your turn to play, and counts as a drawing a tile, so you have to discard a tile from your hand, and the next turn goes to the player sitting to your right.

You may call chii to steal from the player sitting to your left, but only if the set you complete is a sequence.
You may call pon or kan to steal from any player to complete a triplet or a quad, respectively.

If you just started learning, though, avoid stealing tiles if you don't have in mind a specific yaku as a clear objetive, as it "opens" your hand, which in turn makes some yaku unattainable.

Yaku?

They're like poker hands. But different yaku are worth different points (called "han", but let's not worry about that).
Several yaku can even be combined into a single hand. You need at least one yaku to be able to win. Remember this!

If you are just starting to play mahjong, be sure to keep a yaku list handy. I'll link some resources below, but here's a few simple yaku to get you started:

ZgciewC.jpg

Riichi: The name of the game! All that is required is that you achieve tenpai, a "ready" hand (one tile away from winning), without stealing tiles/opening your hand. A "Riichi" prompt will pop up. If you click it, your hand is locked and you'll automatically discard every tile you draw until you win by declaring Ron or Tsumo (more on that in a bit). It's also worth noting that by declaring riichi, you also make a small bet of 1000 points, which whoever wins the round will keep. It's high-ish risk, high-ish reward.

2YMaQtW.png

Tanyao (All Simples): There are no 1s or 9s in your hand, only simple tiles! Depending on the rules set, you can have an open hand and still achieve this yaku.

HTeXFPu.png

Chiitoitsu (Seven Pairs): Self-explanatory. It's an exception to the rule of "4 sets and 1 pair". Instead, try to get seven pair, but keep in mind that every pair must be different!

Mc0v3WB.png

Toitoi (All triplets): Can be open or closed.

Yakuhai: This is scored for completing a specific set of honor tiles (winds or dragons), like the following:

Pon (triplets) of green dragons
Pon of red dragons
Pon of white dragons
Pon of East tiles when you're the dealer or the Round Wind is East.
Pon of South tiles when you're on the South seat or the Round Wind is South.
Pon of West tiles when you're on the West seat.
Pon of North tiles when you're on the North seat.

(Note: Beginners should simply try to go for Riichi and not to make any calls. However, let's say you start the game with a pair of 2 green dragons. If someone then discards a green dragon, feel free to call Pon! This guarantees you'll have a yaku, so from that point on, you can go ahead and start stealing tiles from other players by calling chii or pon in order to win the hand as soon as possible.)

How to actually win

So, let's say you have successfully drawn and discarded all the right tiles and, at this point, you're just waiting for the last tile you need to win.
If a player discards a tile that completes your hand, you declare Ron.
If you yourself draw a tile that completes your hand, you declare Tsumo.

920JAVd.jpg

Usually by pressing a nice big button that appears!
Don't forget that to win, your hand needs to have at least one yaku!

Dora

To put it simply, dora tiles are a kind of bonus, that grant you points, as if you had another cheap yaku in your hand.
But that's just to put it simply. It's not a real yaku!

Somewhere in the screen there something called a dora indicator. In 51 Worldwide Games, it looks something like this:

oPCXmLf.png

As you can see, the dora indicator shows the 4 of bamboos (or 4sou, if you wanna start getting technical).
The actual dora is the tile that comes sequentially after this indicator, which in this case would be the 5 of bamboos.
Also, the dora order loops, so if the indicator shows a 9, the dora is 1.
Likewaise, if the indicator shows a green dragon, then… (Remember, G -> R -> W) The dora is the red dragon!
Final question, if the indicator shows a North tile, the the dora would be… East!
(East, South, West, North! East, South, West, North!)

Additionally, some game rules include akadora, red dora tiles. These tiles automatically count as dora, regardless of the dora indicator shows.

But don't forget! Dora should not be confused with yaku. Even if you have several dora in your hand, you can't win if you don't have an actual yaku!

Play defensively

Always keep an eye on discard piles. When someone declares riichi, you will not deal into their hand as long as try to discard the same tiles that are in that player's discard pile. This also includes the tiles that any player discards from the moment a riichi is declared. Sometimes it's better to give up on completing your hand instead of risking dealing into someone else's hand and potentially losing lots of points. Don't be greedy.

Furiten

IiRVpnU.png

It has happened to all of us. You're in tenpai, you've declared riichi, and now you're just waiting for someone to deal into your hand. Waiting… waiting… And there it is! Someone discarded the tile you need! You've won! Now just to press the bu--- Where's the button? No ron, no win.

Furiten is a condition where you cannot declare ron to win. Most of the time, this is because the tile you need to win is also in your pile of discarded tiles, you might have discarded it at the start of the game and forgot about it.

Unless you have have declared riichi, you can change your hand composition to get out of furiten. But, as you now know, declaring riichi locks your hand, which means that you'd be in permanent furiten, where the only way of winning would be with a self-drawn tile - tsumo!

Let's talk games!

You're all set! Here are some personal game recommendations!

TJLNS0n.png

Tenhou
The tried and true. Very popular. Where pros play. Less hand holding. Visually lackluster, but that's kind of the point.
Browser and mobile. Windows client is slightly more customizable, but subscription based.
Japanese only (some menus in English) but here are some addons you can use to have English UI: Firefox. Chrome.
You can also read the documentation here.

IL8JaGp.jpg

Mahjong Soul
Available in English. Browser and mobile. Very popular right now.
Published by Yostar Games. Anime aesthetic. Bad event rewards. Gacha rates are... even worse.

ss_title_01.jpg

SEGA NET Mahjong MJ
Now with partial English UI in-game! Very popular. PC, iOS and Android clients.
Gacha can make it as anime or non-anime as you want. Frequent tournaments and collabs with Mahjong anime/manga and SEGA IPs.
Daily login rewards. Features amusing live commentary. Gacha quite fair. English guide here.

ss_55f4347e1e51cfc88d260d2656d7e15dd71d091a.1920x1080.jpg

Hime Mahjong
Not available in English. Steam and mobile. Anime aesthetic. Looks slick. Cool character designs.
Gacha rates are better compared to Mahjong Soul. Season pass. Good event rewards.
Overwhelming UI if you can't read Japanese.

1-1L.jpg

Touhou Gensou Mahjong Released on the Japanese Switch eShop.
Touhou characters. Japanese only. Superpowers and stuff.

Some honorable mentions, might update with screencaps later:

Simple Series G4U Vol. 1 THE MAHJONG (PS4/Switch) - Has multiplayer, but it's dead at this point.
Saikyo no Mahjong 〜Bannin no Tame no Mahjong Dojo〜 (PS4/Switch) Single player only.
Minna no Mahjong (Mobile) - Single player only.
Kemono Mahjong (Mobile) - Single player only. Apparently quite good. Furry aesthetic.
Mattari Mahjong (PC) - Single player only. Good AI.

Now I'll just plug our brand new Mahjong ERA Discord server for those interested in playing with us or asking questions!
If we're enough people we could eventually arrange friendly tournaments and things like that, I dunno.
Hope to see you there!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Useful resources - Huge thanks!

Yaku list

Arcturus - Japanese Mahjong Wiki Bookmark this!

Mahjong game with yaku list Great for beginners. Requires flash.

Japanese mahjong terms

Riichi theory, defense theory, tile efficiency

Tile efficiency trainer

Score trainer

Basic suji Deducing safe tiles - Thanks, gachapin

Overview of current mahjong video games - Thanks, sanchhat

Mahjong clubs outside Japan - Thanks, whatsinaname

Riichi Mahjong Strategy Books - Thanks, Kansoku

World Riichi Championship: Yaku Reference Sheet Thanks, whatsinaname

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Goddamn, what a great thread, OP. Kiwami 2 got me hooked on Majong, hope Clubhouse Games get even more people started on this crazy game

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I was looking for a Mahjong OT too but I there wasn't one before this.

I am up for games on Mahjong Soul if others are interested. (I am stuck somewhere in Expert-1, not great at the game by any means).

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big mahjong player. I'm excited that more English speakers are getting into the game - it's a ton of fun.

My only suggestion: don't confine yourself to just riichi! There's a whole world of mahjong out there (although the American variants are universally terrible IME).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What an OT! Bravo wideface

One of the main reasons I picked up 51 Worldwide Games was to finally learn Mahjong so I'm gonna be diving in soon. Sure this will be super helpful.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the write-up, I'll bookmark in case I attempt to learn this again. They added Majong to the Gold Saucer in FFXIV some time ago but the in-game tutorial was just too much for me to take in and I never did play much of it.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
One more thing: Even the best online mahjong client cannot make up for the fact that it's a game best played with people you know.

If you're interested in learning mahjong, try to get a few friends on for the ride.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
If you're interested in learning mahjong, try to get a few friends on for the ride.

For sure!

Here's one list of clubs. I am lucky to have one in my area, they were very welcoming and taught me the riichi rules.

Срок регистрации домена истек

Срок регистрации домена истек. Требуется продление, чтобы возобновить работу домена и его сервисов

Last edited:

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
For sure!

Here's one list of clubs. I am luck to have one in my area, they were very welcoming and taught me the riichi rules.

Срок регистрации домена истек. Требуется продление, чтобы возобновить работу домена и его сервисов
This is definitely a good way to get in touch with people. I run a mahjong (not specifically riichi, but we do play riichi) club in my area and it's been great.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whew good job OP but seeing how long as heck the post is, this only makes me want to learn the rules even less now haha

I learned Shogi and Koi Koi. That seems to be my limit in terms of for Japanese games.

sanchhat

Jan 8, 2020
Nice write-up. Good pointer with the defensive play. You can't be on the offense all the time.

One notable website I wanted to mention that I recently came across:

This post on reachmahjong.com is an extensive listing, with overview, of mahjong games available on consoles and mobile. Majority of games are reach mahjong variant. It list mahjong only games along with games (like the Yakuza series) that include mahjong within the game. The post seems to update whenever a new mahjong game is released. It was recently updated to include 51 Worldwide Games on Switch. There's other reference guides listed there that the author of the post wrote as well. The guy wrote a bunch of game guides with translation for japanese mahjong games that are available on gameFAQs.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I know how to play Mahjong but I have no idea how different Japan is to HK rules. Great OT, hope to see more Mahjong players.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I tried in Yakuza before and couldn't get my head around the tiles. The rules themselves remind me of other card games we have around here such as Buraco and Canastra.
Might give it another chance after this thread.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I know how to play Mahjong but I have no idea how different Japan is to HK rules. Great OT, hope to see more Mahjong players.
Fairly different. Japanese mahjong has a few extra scoring patterns and a much more convoluted approach to scoring a hand. There are also more rules pertaining to open/closed hands and the furiten rule, which is nearly unique to riichi and governs offensive and defensive play to a considerable degree.

Having said that, if you're comfortable with HKOS it shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes or so to get started on riichi.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
wareme

edit I thought I should post something more productive
Suji: additional tip for "Play defensively"
www.mahjonggem.com

Basic Suji — dama queen

Suji is a way to assess one opponent’s discard pool to try and deduce safe tiles to discard.

Last edited:

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Fell in love with Akagi back in the day and I've been hooked ever since. And I'm still terrible! My roommate convinced me to go in on a cheap mahjong table when he came back from Hong Kong with a full mahjong set. As much as I love it, all the rules make it hard for newbies to get into. Whenever we play it's some bastardized version that's no fun to play at all.

So I welcome the clubhouse games version! Hopefully it teaches just a few more people how to play! Thanks for the OT as well!

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Cheers op great write up. Can't wait to get some hands on time with this and play with you all!

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the list of Mahjong games available to play. I remember a few years ago playing on Tenhou and there weren't many English Mahjong games available. Good to see that there are more now. I hope the population of them is decent and there are enough people playing, although I guess given it's popularity in Asia it shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
wideface

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Thank you for all the feedback and the kind words, everyone! It means a lot to me.
It's nice to see so many people interested in the game.

Nice write-up. Good pointer with the defensive play. You can't be on the offense all the time.

One notable website I wanted to mention that I recently came across:

This post on reachmahjong.com is an extensive listing, with overview, of mahjong games available on consoles and mobile. Majority of games are reach mahjong variant. It list mahjong only games along with games (like the Yakuza series) that include mahjong within the game. The post seems to update whenever a new mahjong game is released. It was recently updated to include 51 Worldwide Games on Switch. There's other reference guides listed there that the author of the post wrote as well. The guy wrote a bunch of game guides with translation for japanese mahjong games that are available on gameFAQs.

This is amazing! It's also what I was planning to do here but it's just too much work. I'm glad that someone has been doing it since 2010, haha.
For now, I listed games that I think are worth people's time and will update the thread with new releases.

For sure!

Here's one list of clubs. I am lucky to have one in my area, they were very welcoming and taught me the riichi rules.

wareme

edit I thought I should post something more productive
Suji: additional tip for "Play defensively"
www.mahjonggem.com

Basic Suji — dama queen

Suji is a way to assess one opponent’s discard pool to try and deduce safe tiles to discard.

Thank you all! Added all of these links to the resources!

Whew good job OP but seeing how long as heck the post is, this only makes me want to learn the rules even less now haha

I learned Shogi and Koi Koi. That seems to be my limit in terms of for Japanese games.
Yeah, I get it... One of my fears was making the thread so long that people would be put off by it, so I didn't explain "kan" as much as I would've liked, and didn't get into things like uradora or drawing from the dead wall.
For me it's the opposite, I think hanafuda is twice as hard as mahjong lmao. If you learned shogi and koi-koi I'm sure mahjong won't be a problem for you.
Don't give up!

Fell in love with Akagi back in the day and I've been hooked ever since. And I'm still terrible! My roommate convinced me to go in on a cheap mahjong table when he came back from Hong Kong with a full mahjong set. As much as I love it, all the rules make it hard for newbies to get into. Whenever we play it's some bastardized version that's no fun to play at all.

So I welcome the clubhouse games version! Hopefully it teaches just a few more people how to play! Thanks for the OT as well!
Kaiji and Akagi are also the series that got me interested in mahjong. Can't recommend these enough to those interested.
I only have the classic mahjong junk mat and two tile sets... I wish I had an automatic table, but even then I'd have no people to play with lmao.

Thank you all again for your replies!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza made me a fan. I'm not exactly good at the game (passable, at best) but I do enjoy playing it loads in each Yakuza title and have started playing it more outside of the Yakuza series. Weirdly enough, way back when on the Famicom, Capcom released a sequel to its own Mahjong game which had a full RPG mode in it, actually ended up as a pretty fun game as well, came with its own joypad and everything - the mahjong side of things were the bosses/battles whereby you'd have to gain X points in Mahjong matches, with it getting harder the further you got.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood when to use Pon. Say I call Pon three times during a round, what is the purpose of that? You don't get any points if somebody else wins the round.

Now I just focus on trying to get a Riichi and ignore any Pon prompts.

Even though I know the basics of the game due to Yakuza, I still really suck at it.

OP
OP
wideface

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I've never understood when to use Pon. Say I call Pon three times during a round, what is the purpose of that? You don't get any points if somebody else wins the round.

Even though I know the basics of the game due to Yakuza, I still really suck at it.
Calling pon three times would get you very close to the "toitoi" yaku - all triplets and a pair. Only call it if it helps you develop a valid hand.
Supposing you called pon on dragon tiles, you'd have a guaranteed yakuhai and could focus on completing your hand as soon as possible to win.
But yeah, as you said, if somebody else wins the round you get nothing and it sucks when you're building a very strong hand.
It's better to win nothing than to lose points, though. You can still win next hand!

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Great thread! I love Mahjong, sadly I am still not good enough to play without english translation, so no Tenhou for me.

While I am not playing much, I actually bought one of the Mahjong Pretty Girls games on steam because at the time (a few years ago) it was basically the only Riichi Mahjong game in english. Now I am playing a bit Mahjong Soul but not much.

Also, we all know that playing Mahjong looks like this, it's all true:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah Saki, the first few volumes were enjoyable but then it got really weird and everyone stopped wearing pants which is where I dropped it.

Anyhow, does anyone have any recommendations on an English language book for Richii Mahjong?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

There are a lot of times open hands can lead to a quick win. Maybe just to solidify your position or to take dealer away from a good player or to get yourself to dealer. Also useful if you have shitty starting hands.

The trade off is that sometimes you can paint yourself into a corner or give too much information about the hand you are building.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Every time I play a Yakuza games I inevitably play a bunch of mahjong. It's fun and hugely satisfyingly when you get a monster hand and just crush someone else. I appreciate the game recommendations, for a while the only mahjong game on Steam was "Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle," which I shamefully purchased.

OP
OP
wideface

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Great thread! I love Mahjong, sadly I am still not good enough to play without english translation, so no Tenhou for me.

While I am not playing much, I actually bought one of the Mahjong Pretty Girls games on steam because at the time (a few years ago) it was basically the only Riichi Mahjong game in english. Now I am playing a bit Mahjong Soul but not much.

Also, we all know that playing Mahjong looks like this, it's all true:

Thank you! I also bought Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle when it was the only riichi mahjong game on Steam lol. Quite fun, but sadly no online.
Wished we lived in a world where mahjong was as popular as it is in the Saki universe haha.

Last edited:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Riichi Mahjong is the shit. Glad there's a thread about it now :)

A good resource that was not mentioned is this Riichi Book:

It is more on the intermediate/advanced side than for beginners, but still, really good if you want to improve.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing thread. You lost me right after explaining the actual game rules. But at least I know the tiles!!

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 14 got me really into mahjong. I'm actually thinking of buying a physical set to play with my family.

Also, can you play it online with 4 players in Clubhouse Games?

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. Thanks for all the info.

I used to play the Hong Kong rules with my family, and was surprised to find how different and complicated the Japanese version of the game to be. I do kinda like it so I'm interested in learning properly.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to learn this as FFXIV has it in the game and I have no idea what I'm doing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I went looking for a Mahjong OT a long time ago and was surprised to not find one. Now there is, yay.

Wife and I play with bastardized rules with our set from time to time. I've played a ton of it in older arcade games but never really took it too seriously, but something I've always wanted to change but never had the time/energy. Clubhouse games seems like a quick and easy intro with lots of help/assists. Probably a good place to start.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! MAHJONG ERAAAAAAAAAAA!

Been wanting to see this for awhile. So glad Riichi Mahjong has online these days as bein a white dude in the mountains of WV no one plays it here. Otherwise I'd have bought this beautiful set already...
ebay yellow mountain import Black Mahjong set with betting sticks said:

Also good job using Kaiji manga panels for the banner. The mahjong story arc that can only be found online was one of the more fun things in the series. Also shoutouts to the authors other famous work AKAGI which is all about mahjong that had one famous story match that began in 1997 finally finish up after a little over 20 YEARS! You really should check that one out folks. That match of Washizu mahjong was to the death and Akagi was rigged to a machine that sucked out BLOOD for any points he lost and was to the death! Absolutely insane the tactics and such in that match too because out of any 4 tiles in a meld only 1 of those tiles in the entire game was solid...the rest of the tiles were all glass and visible to opponents at all times. Mahjong where they can see most all the tiles you were using where losses werent measured in points or dollars but blood!? Amazing stuff.

You can actually play Washizu mahjong on the DS btw and they sell sets!
JvFPTJ.jpg

ebay transparent Mahjong set for Washizu Mahjong matches! said:

Also for those curious about the betting in Riichi Mahjong that end up with boards and what the betting sticks values and scoring is like here is a quick reference.

Capture-2.png

Players start with 30000 points Betting stick values in order are:
jp_sticks.png

You bet BEFORE a round of mahjong with a set total amount for the entire game. That means if you set a round's ante at 1000 by tossing in the stick with a single red circle on it then every player would have to pay you 1000 per han (point) your hand was worth if you won! 1500 per point if you were the dealer because dealers are paid 1.5 x the normal value per han!

This is why when folks call "RIICHI!" they toss a single red dot betting stick worth 1000 points in. They're declaring that in one tile theyll win and since declaring Riichi is worth 1 han or 1000 points they put a 1000 point betting stick in to show they're hand is now worth at least that much if they win.

That means if I played a game for $20 total I'd likely set my betting stick values at :
$.5
$1
$5
$10

So basically you just use the sticks to keep track of points till someone either goes broke and there are no longer enough players to continue and then use them to divvy up the winnings or in doubles play to one whole team is entirely broke. Its why doubles are so popular because you and a friend are a team and you play till your side or the other side is broke and you and your partner split the winnings.

Sorry for gushing but I love it when Mahjong in film or manga is used for gambling so now if you read or watch anything you know how the betting works too!

Last edited:

Deleted member 20155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I learned to play in Yakuza, graduated to playing on Mahjong Soul and lost several hundred hours there. Got to gold league and sort of hit my skill ceiling and haven't played in months, but getting a real urge to go back now...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Isn't this 'common' mahjong aka 'hong kong' mahjong?

That's what most Chinese played around the world during Chinese new year and that term being used anyway.

Haven't read in detail on op but I don't find it any difference in between Japanese mahjong from HK mahjong.

Side note: another variant is 'taiwanese' mahjong which used 16 tiles.

P.s. am ethnic Chinese myself.