• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Some gacha info in Wikia about Magia Record.

To make things a bit easier, Magia Record operates a Pity System. When you have had 99 spins of the Gacha without a 4* Magical Girl, your 100th spin will always be a 4* Magical Girl. Getting a 4* Magical Girl will reset your counter.

The pity counter does NOT carry over between Event Gachas - once an Event Gacha ends and the next one starts, the pity counter is reset to 0! Keep this in mind when considering whether or not to spin an Event Gacha.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a jackass, but having the gatcha character box say "Magical Girls" is making me laugh uncontrollably, I love it!

Well as you can see its JP version and pic is from Wiki. They will prolly change the name when it comes to global.

Tho, Brown Dust exists...

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Does it slightly annoy any one else when games have gacha stuff that maxes at 4* or 6*?
I like a nice comfortable 5*.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I've had more free time these days because I'm house sitting for my folks to take care of their dog, so I thought it'd be a good time to try out some of the more well-established gachas, namely FGO and GBF. I don't really need more gachas to whale on so I've just been playing them F2P for the last week or so.

I'd say that FGO is proving to be a real slog when I don't have much investment in the Fate series. The Fate mythos in general never really interested me to begin with, so all this exposition I need to slowly read through just to understand what's going on hasn't been stellar. I know a lot of people absolutely love the story though, so I'll try to stick with it for now. The combat's decent, just slow-going because of how long the Chapter is taking me. From what I can tell, your Servants don't naturally level up after fights, and you need to manually enhance them with exp material? That has also been contributing to how long this is taking, since I need to stop every few fights and figure out who I want to level up. This gets especially annoying if I want to swap out someone, because now I feel like I wasted that exp on whomever I swap out. All this makes the Chapter take even longer as I try to figure out who I really want to be dedicating resources to.

GBF has a slow start as well, but being fully-voiced and not being entrenched in other source material helps. Getting a bunch of daily gacha ten-pulls also means I'm at least logging in daily even when I don't really feel like playing it that day, which hasn't been the case with FGO. I've amassed some full elemental teams as a result, which definitely helps motivate me to keep playing through to at least test them out. It also has some interesting mechanics like a really customizable MC with their element/weapon/class and how characters are tied to weapons for the MC, which I don't see a lot of gachas do. I'd say I'm probably adding GBF to my daily gacha routine, though it can be as little as just logging in since I'm playing the game incredibly casually at the moment.

Oh, I also started up GFL because of that anniversary thing with being able to choose a 5* of your choice from login rewards, but I'm just sorta slowly accruing doll contracts through afk missions right now. The new event definitely isn't geared towards newbies and I got a bit burnt out trying to grind out 50 crates on the first two days, so I'm hoping to give the game another proper shake once the 5* selector arrives.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record looks interesting but I don't know about 1% rates. 😂
Honestly, as much as I love FGO and the Fate series, I kind of wish FGO wasn't doing as well as it is. So many anti-consumer practices in there. 1% rates that never go beyond that 1% rate (although certain Servants do get rate-up's within that 1%, although a lot of the times it feels like a lie), and there's no pity/spark mechanic. You also need to pull for dupes to power up each of their NP (not obscenely important, but it can really help elevate a few of the Servants) as there's no NP power-up item you can substitute for it. This is in addition to a dual gacha, that comes with both CE as well as Servants, and no way to limit break the CE without pulling for duplicates (this is hell for limited-time CE).

I really wish they would:

1) Add a pity/spark mechanic, so you're either guaranteed a 5* Servant after a certain number of pulls without one (say, 100) or a choice of a Servant after a larger number of pulls (300?).

2) Release items (obviously they would be rare) that you can substitute as an NP power-up or CE limit break.

3) Allow us to skip the NP animations if we want!

It doesn't matter, as the above listed points will likely never happen, since FGO is making ridiculous amounts of money. I still love the hell out of the game, I just wish the gacha mechanic wasn't as punishing as it is, especially with so many other gacha these days giving players a lot of means for making things less frustrating.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Well I agree it would be nice, I'd say those anti-consumer practices are WHY they're making so much money. A whale in FGO is gonna have to whale so much harder in FGO than any other gacha game statistically. As a purely single-player game though, it's not like milking the whales is hurting the F2P experience like so many PvP gachas do, since I've heard the game's perfectly playable without the gacha. It just makes it harder for most people to get the new shiny thing, which is a decent compromise at the end of the day if the shiny thing isn't necessary. So I don't think there's any real reason for them to change something that's literally proven to be one of the most profitable gacha monetization strategies in the world. While I'm not exactly having a good first impression, it evidently works for them, and I'm probably in the minority as someone with little love for the Fate series giving this game that's heavily reliant on the Fate series a try.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for sure. I can't fault them for the way they have their business model set as it's definitely working for them. That being said, with the rate at which new Servants are added, if they did make them a little more accessible to people (either through pity pulls or otherwise), I can't see it hurting their bottom line a whole lot. Even if they're not needed strictly for gameplay reasons, I can see people pulling specifically for their favorites, and the hardcore whales pulling beyond a single copy to NP2+ them. Knowing there's a safety net there would likely make it easier for people to open their wallets, but then I've seen Japanese players purchasing SQ after SQ in chasing a character they're after, so I'm not sure DW need to encourage people to spend more.

It is nice that top-tier Servants aren't needed and it does feel good when luck strikes and you get what you're after (thank you, Kiara!), but it's definitely a stressful time whenever I choose to pull. >_<

I do honestly feel that if it weren't for the Fate license, the FGO game as it is just wouldn't do nearly as well. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but what people really want to invest in are the stories and the characters, I just wish they didn't make the latter so difficult to obtain, even if they aren't needed to complete the content. It doesn't help when new characters are usually released along singularities/events with them as a focal point, basically encouraging the player to try to summon for them.

(Why didn't you answer my call, Merlin? WHY!?)

But again, seeing the numbers the game pulls in (I've contributed, but only for the guaranteed banners), I can't blame them for sitting back and just keeping this as they are. I'd likely do the same thing, if I were in their position, haha.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to beat the 4* Revue Starlight event boss but it took a solid 8-9 tries. Not gonna do it again but I'm glad I got the 100 gems.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, for sure. I can't fault them for the way they have their business model set as it's definitely working for them. That being said, with the rate at which new Servants are added, if they did make them a little more accessible to people (either through pity pulls or otherwise), I can't see it hurting their bottom line a whole lot. Even if they're not needed strictly for gameplay reasons, I can see people pulling specifically for their favorites, and the hardcore whales pulling beyond a single copy to NP2+ them. Knowing there's a safety net there would likely make it easier for people to open their wallets, but then I've seen Japanese players purchasing SQ after SQ in chasing a character they're after, so I'm not sure DW need to encourage people to spend more.

It is nice that top-tier Servants aren't needed and it does feel good when luck strikes and you get what you're after (thank you, Kiara!), but it's definitely a stressful time whenever I choose to pull. >_<

I do honestly feel that if it weren't for the Fate license, the FGO game as it is just wouldn't do nearly as well. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but what people really want to invest in are the stories and the characters, I just wish they didn't make the latter so difficult to obtain, even if they aren't needed to complete the content. It doesn't help when new characters are usually released along singularities/events with them as a focal point, basically encouraging the player to try to summon for them.

But again, seeing the numbers the game pulls in (I've contributed, but only for the guaranteed banners), I can't blame them for sitting back and just keeping this as they are. I'd likely do the same thing, if I were in their position, haha.
Magia Record is also distributed by Aniplex right? That seems to explain the 1% rates. But I think this one has PVP.
Btw I started watching the Anime and I'm not feeling it until now. Hopefully it gets better, I'm at episode 5 now.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record is also distributed by Aniplex right? That seems to explain the 1% rates. But I think this one has PVP.
Btw I started watching the Anime and I'm not feeling it. Hopefully it gets better, I'm at episode 5 now.
It is, yeah. Maggia Record does have a pity rate, and a 4% rate-up on certain banners, so that's something!

If you don't like Madoka after episode 3...I don't know what to tell you. I loved it before that, but once episode 3 hit I couldn't look away.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I will do another reminder that MagiReco is one of the least reroll friendly games out there. You need to complete the entire first chapter of the story to get a 10x pull, and that takes 25-30 minutes each time. My only advice is to reroll if you really really really want a specific character, and then save your gems for whatever it is your looking forward too. Godoka is the best unit in the game, but if we follow the FGO formula, we wont get her for 2 years so don't think about it. One of the earlier events will feature Kazumi from Kazumi Magica and Holy Mami, both of which are good units.

https://magireco.fandom.com/wiki/Magical_Girl_Tier_List

Here is a teir list to let you figure out before launch who you want to save for.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to beat the 4* Revue Starlight event boss but it took a solid 8-9 tries. Not gonna do it again but I'm glad I got the 100 gems.

This is my plan after I get 6* event girl, just once clear it for the gems.
Third event gacha has 153/400 and still missing 3/5 items (power ups). Been doing normal event boss since I can auto it in 3 turns only using Moon Kaoruko + random friend. I have 2 days to do the the boss, should be doable, depending how much I need to use stamina in order to get those power ups. Stamina goes to event stage 4-7 for double key drops and for random chance of Rainbow rank up orbs to drop, sometimes doing 4-6 for other rainbow orbs.

0 Pvp done and got 13300 gems for first double rate up banner. Most likely will blow all gems then.

I will do another reminder that MagiReco is one of the least reroll friendly games out there. You need to complete the entire first chapter of the story to get a 10x pull, and that takes 25-30 minutes each time.

Been rerolling here and there in FGO (when I get bored, kinda pissed that I lost my Waver account). Last Saturday it took me many hours to get 30 gems and do one multipull that was dud (4* CE). So 30 minutes is "nothing", I know it is lot for most players. Thus its kinda important to reroll at start _if_ we get prereg stuff.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018

The thing with safety nets is that while it entices light spenders to spend more, it consequently also causes whales to spend less. A whale that happily spends $5000 to NP2+ someone because of terrible luck in the current system might only need to spend $2000 with a pity system, and it's hard to say if the light spenders would make up that different of the whales spending less like that en masse. From my experience, businesses definitely want more concrete proof that such a change would be more profitable in the long run for it to be considered.

I do believe FGO is carried by its IP, but there are very few successful gacha games with an IP that aren't. FEH is probably the worst in terms of blatant powercreep along with a bunch of PvP modes that are basically P2W, but the game's still profitable because of people's love for the FE series. While I'm not spending money, I'm still playing Revue Starlight off the back of the characters and the game's commitment to the IP, which it does well despite the terrible gacha. It's a balancing act of seeing how much fans are willing to put up with, and the less successful ones are those who go too far with how bad the gacha is relative to the IP. FGO proves the Fate series and it's commitment to the IP is incredibly strong, to say the least.

From my personal experience (so I might be missing some obvious examples), in order to compensate for a lack of established IP, gachas like GBF, DL, AL, and GFL are relatively more generous than most gachas. Something GBF/DL also do is basically try to get you invested in the characters with personal stories for every gacha character within the game itself through adventure/castle stories and fate episodes respectively since the characters don't have other material to pull from. This is something Revue Starlight actually does too to pretty good effect with the school stories, bond stories, and "my theater" character interactions, which is why I felt compelled to go watch the anime after playing the game for a bit.

I will say that that's also a factor to why getting into GFO has been such a struggle. From what I gather, this introductory chapter seems entirely based on Fate/Stay Night's story with the Singularity taking place during the Holy Grail War in Japan. I imagine this immediately draws fans of the Fate series in since it's content they're intimately familiar with and it's basically explaining this game's place in the overall canon. However, as an outsider, it's like trying to read exposition on both this game's world and the cliff notes of Fate/Stay Night without any real character because it's busy trying to establish all this lore. It's not a big issue if you're already invested, but man do I feel like it's not a great introduction to the series so far from my experience.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I like what I play of FGO and I like the Fate series tried really hard to like the game enough to keep playing it, but the app is hilariously outdated and Delight Works has made a shitton of money and yet they cant be bothered to at least make the game full screen, all the while keeping predatory gacha rates.

Epic Seven is grindy and has horrible rates but at least it looks good and fullscreen and that goes a long way for me.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has spent plenty of time playing gatcha games, I can at least take solace in the fact that I haven't played Kancolle in 2+ years. People shit on them all they want, but at least they have a story. Kancolle in over 5 years has not implemented a single shred of story content to keep players engaged in, even though they were the first ones to the anthropomorphic item genre.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I will do another reminder that MagiReco is one of the least reroll friendly games out there. You need to complete the entire first chapter of the story to get a 10x pull, and that takes 25-30 minutes each time. My only advice is to reroll if you really really really want a specific character, and then save your gems for whatever it is your looking forward too. Godoka is the best unit in the game, but if we follow the FGO formula, we wont get her for 2 years so don't think about it. One of the earlier events will feature Kazumi from Kazumi Magica and Holy Mami, both of which are good units.

https://magireco.fandom.com/wiki/Magical_Girl_Tier_List

Here is a teir list to let you figure out before launch who you want to save for.
In Japan apparently you can choose your first Magical Girl. Maybe it's the same for global. 😂

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
In Japan apparently you can choose your first Magical Girl. Maybe it's the same for global. 😂
Maybe we'll get a Facebook Like campaign. Aniplex loves doing that for FGO!

(Please no.)

The thing with safety nets is that while it entices light spenders to spend more, it consequently also causes whales to spend less. A whale that happily spends $5000 to NP2+ someone because of terrible luck in the current system might only need to spend $2000 with a pity system, and it's hard to say if the light spenders would make up that different of the whales spending less like that en masse. From my experience, businesses definitely want more concrete proof that such a change would be more profitable in the long run for it to be considered.

I do believe FGO is carried by its IP, but there are very few successful gacha games with an IP that aren't. FEH is probably the worst in terms of blatant powercreep along with a bunch of PvP modes that are basically P2W, but the game's still profitable because of people's love for the FE series. While I'm not spending money, I'm still playing Revue Starlight off the back of the characters and the game's commitment to the IP, which it does well despite the terrible gacha. It's a balancing act of seeing how much fans are willing to put up with, and the less successful ones are those who go too far with how bad the gacha is relative to the IP. FGO proves the Fate series and it's commitment to the IP is incredibly strong, to say the least.

From my personal experience (so I might be missing some obvious examples), in order to compensate for a lack of established IP, gachas like GBF, DL, AL, and GFL are relatively more generous than most gachas. Something GBF/DL also do is basically try to get you invested in the characters with personal stories for every gacha character within the game itself through adventure/castle stories and fate episodes respectively since the characters don't have other material to pull from. This is something Revue Starlight actually does too to pretty good effect with the school stories, bond stories, and "my theater" character interactions, which is why I felt compelled to go watch the anime after playing the game for a bit.

I will say that that's also a factor to why getting into GFO has been such a struggle. From what I gather, this introductory chapter seems entirely based on Fate/Stay Night's story with the Singularity taking place during the Holy Grail War in Japan. I imagine this immediately draws fans of the Fate series in since it's content they're intimately familiar with and it's basically explaining this game's place in the overall canon. However, as an outsider, it's like trying to read exposition on both this game's world and the cliff notes of Fate/Stay Night without any real character because it's busy trying to establish all this lore. It's not a big issue if you're already invested, but man do I feel like it's not a great introduction to the series so far from my experience.
Yeah, I can see how the game might not leave the best first impression if you aren't already a fan of the source material. Thankfully I was already a fan, sp the game was an immediate favorite of mine.

Have you tried watching the Fate/Zero anime? It's incredibly well-done and serves as a great starting point for the series.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I was just joking, haha. Well, here's to hoping we get enough to go a few pulls with each re-roll I guess (if we don't get that character pick thing).

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably announce it at AX, so likely July. Plus the game launched in Japan in August, so they would follow the exact "1 year and 11 months" launch window from FGO.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I also started up GFL because of that anniversary thing with being able to choose a 5* of your choice from login rewards, but I'm just sorta slowly accruing doll contracts through afk missions right now. The new event definitely isn't geared towards newbies and I got a bit burnt out trying to grind out 50 crates on the first two days, so I'm hoping to give the game another proper shake once the 5* selector arrives.

Happy to hear that you are giving it a try. There are quite a few early game pitfalls, especially around vital things like making formations, so if you are unsure about anything, feel free to ask in our thread.

Crate farming is indeed a slog and there isn't really a faster method even for advanced players - I'm definitely planning on stopping once I hit 777 of them, but the 5* in there are definitely extremely useful for new players.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Less than 50 items on the 3rd box for that last crystal grand prize to 6* Junna in Revue Starlight. My goodness is my luck horrible with these lottery boxes, but I should be able to get it with 2 days left.

Yeah, I can see how the game might not leave the best first impression if you aren't already a fan of the source material. Thankfully I was already a fan, sp the game was an immediate favorite of mine.

Have you tried watching the Fate/Zero anime? It's incredibly well-done and serves as a great starting point for the series.

I actually haven't heard that one before. The only Fate media I've ever consumed before FGO has been the first volume of the Fate/Stay Night manga, and I didn't really feel compelled enough to buy and read more volumes at the time. I've been watching more Anime these days though so I can add Fate/Zero to my watch list.

Happy to hear that you are giving it a try. There are quite a few early game pitfalls, especially around vital things like making formations, so if you are unsure about anything, feel free to ask in our thread.

Crate farming is indeed a slog and there isn't really a faster method even for advanced players - I'm definitely planning on stopping once I hit 777 of them, but the 5* in there are definitely extremely useful for new players.

Will do. Is the discord properly in the OP? I quote it and don't really see anything, though that may be because I'm on mobile.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the previous trailer already had a 50 stones goal that was achieved, and I presume there will be at least 5 or more trailers before launch, so in the end there will be probably enough for a 10 pull

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't heard that one before. The only Fate media I've ever consumed before FGO has been the first volume of the Fate/Stay Night manga, and I didn't really feel compelled enough to buy and read more volumes at the time. I've been watching more Anime these days though so I can add Fate/Zero to my watch list.
Definitely give it a watch if you haven't seen it, Ufotable does some great work! Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero and then the Heaven's Feel movies (only two have been released so far, out of the planned three) are the recommended order to watch them, but you can start with F/Z just fine. If you want as much of the backstory as you can, watch UBW first, but make sure it's the UBW version and not the default Fate/Stay Night. That one...isn't the best, but it does explore a few things UBW doesn't.

Doesn't Zero spoil Stay/Night, can't remember?
I can't remember if it spoils the events of F/Z or not, it's been so long since I watched it. UBW --> F/Z --> HF are the proper order to watch it all, but newbies are fine starting with F/Z. It's not like they'd be lost, and they can always go back and watch UBW if they become interested. I watched things in the order of F/Z --> UBW --> HF and had no issue at all. I skipped the original F/SN entirely.

the misery never ends!
We were warned this was hell we were walking into. We didn't listen.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I will reroll for Holy Mami for hours, maybe days and then probably never play it beyond that, but that's ok right?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I know this thread is usually for general discussion for newer mobile games, but I'm wondering if anybody has played any good OFFLINE Japanese Gatcha Games? I know it sounds weird, but you'd be surprised what fits that criteria!

Like, for example, Chaos Rings 3, a great premium mobile RPG, actually has a Gatcha mechanic for treasure and character progression, where you find and use gold keys on certain chests in an area, and get items from that area's "Bingo" exploration chart, and always ones you haven't got yet, until you fill it out and get a special reward! You even get coins every day you log in, that acts as a premium currency for a special item shop, among other things.

Like I said, the game doesn't have micro transactions, but both has Gatcha in it, and balances it to be beneficial to the player. Even if you aren't unlocking key chests all day, you were usually at the right level and skill set for the game to be challenging!

You can even cheat by advancing your clock a day and going back and forth between the app and your clock! Although even then, the stuff you spend coins on are limited to chapter progress, so you don't break the game too quick.

Another game I'd say fits would be "Premiumized" games that used to be Gatcha, like Final Fantasy Dimensions 2, where the original release was a Gatcha game, but it was remade to be a pay once game, and all the Gatcha rewards were balanced into rewards for playing through the story and optional missions!

It was actually really fun getting the different "Eidolon Rings" as you went along, since they are given out so frequently, yet you had limited ability to upgrade them to improve the ability they gave. It struck a good balance between what characters you'd use as you went as you were always getting new stuff for different ones, and leveling them up to get their ability permanently!

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 2 might count because of the Blades gatcha, but I don't think that's what you have in mind.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Xenoblade 2 might count because of the Blades gatcha, but I don't think that's what you have in mind.

I mean, that totally works! The secondary party members, or Blades, that you get are staggered through the Gatcha mechanic, with the unique ones getting easier to get the more time you put into the game, giving you a unique progression compared to others, and making you value what you have as you move forward.

It's a perfectly good way to design a Gatcha system in an offline game, though the execution could've used a few late/endgame short cuts...

Getting unique blades later, even with the best cubes, was absolutely brutal!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I think if you get more literal with games that try to recreate the physical gacha machines, Yoshi's Crafted World has a gacha for Yoshi's outfits using in-game coins you collect (not actual micro transactions), while the Yo-Kai Watch series does a similar thing with a gacha machine called Crank-a-Kai, that you can use to get Yokai Spirits on top of the regular method of catching them. If I'm remembering right, you can even use those Nintendo 3DS coins you get from walking as a currency for pulling.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Revue Starlight: Being in Silver Rank 2 has been eye opening for me when fighting other actual players. I had a serious case of big fish in a small pond while in bronze. Been getting my ass kicked by people just using two characters sometimes.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Starlight PvP is weird. Best course of action is to go all-in on a few girls first instead of having 5 meh invested ones. Also, if the game can't find a live person, it just matches you with an easy bot (usually 5 2*-3* girls that hit for nothing). I got to gold this morning off the back that nobody was playing, and just got bots for like 4/5 games. You can probably climb all the way to the top during a dead zone when no one's playing.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Yup I'm thankful when I fight bots and can recover the points loss. Usually the best indication I'm fighting a bot is they do 0-30 damage to my tank Maya and when I fight a person they smack her for like 2k+.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I tried the chinese version of Magia Record and the menus are really slow and clunky. Maybe they are slow because I live in Europe and the servers are in Asia.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
An absolutely small and completely nitpicky thing completely ruined my enjoyment of Last Cloudia: the difficulty levels (shown by stars) are completely inconsistent. While in the story a 2 star stage can be a cake walk, in the event currently ongoing you get slaughtered in wave 2 of 4. If you're gonna put difficulty indicators, make sure they're consistent, and if they're not, just don't put them, the only thing they do is mislead your players and bum them out when they see they can't clear a certain stage