• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I adore monthly packs. Especially since it tends to work out like $25 for a 10-pull NOW or $10 for a 10-pull and then a good amount toward a second within a month.
$10 is my impulse buy range for a 10-pull but prices haven't been in that range for a very long while now.
Yeah, I really wish more games would offer that sort of thing. It's a lot easier to get money out of me when things of that nature are offered.

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
Let's play the guessing game.

unknown.png

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not feeling Pokemon Masters. I don't know what it is, but it's just missing... something. Honestly, if they'd just made a Gacha game with pokemon in the loot pool and the regular turn-based system for battles including PvP, I'd have been all. over. it. But this is just... not it. It might be the battle-system that's just throwing me off.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
For me, it's 100% the battle system that has me turned off on Masters. I just vastly prefer Pokémon and even Pokémon-related spin-offs when it's turn-based like Mystery Dungeon or Conquest over this system.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Mainline Pokemon games have the most boring ass battle system in the world.

I'm sure it's fun in top level competitive PVP, but as a single player experience it's the dullest thing ever.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's all the grinding for materials, between Blends, Gear, and ultimately gacha pulls because there is a vast gulf in stats between adding extra stars and not. A lot of the gameplay loop here is rubbing me the wrong way.

The mainline battle system has over time developed into one of the most complex and fun JRPG battle systems I've ever played - in particular Showdown ladder. The combat here is nowhere near comparable to be honest, but it's fine enough.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I miss Monster Strike, but I would have loved a marble battle system like that for Pokemon Masters. Pull for Pokemon from the gacha (or collect them in-game through events) and use them in battle by flicking them around a table. Activate abilities before you do so (or set up ultimate attacks), and even have it so sub-abilities activate if you hit your other allied Pokemon on the field. Maybe have the catching mechanic be that you have to knock the HP of your opponent down to a specific level and then use a Pokeball to bounce off the table and capture it.

But again, this is probably just me missing Monster Strike (RIP Global version). I know it would be unconventional for a Pokemon game to play like this, I just find that style of gameplay to be interesting to me.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's all the grinding for materials, between Blends, Gear, and ultimately gacha pulls because there is a vast gulf in stats between adding extra stars and not. A lot of the gameplay loop here is rubbing me the wrong way.

The mainline battle system has over time developed into one of the most complex and fun JRPG battle systems I've ever played - in particular Showdown ladder. The combat here is nowhere near comparable to be honest, but it's fine enough.

I think it's a combination of these things for me too.

a) I adore the mainline battle system. Especially the most recent games where a lot of the "annoying busywork" like looking up type efficiencies multiple times each battle has been solved and integrated into the battle system itself, as well as EXP share. It works and it's a ton of fun.

b) for gachas to have you playing for longer, there just needs to be some kind of "gear" that you can acquire in one way or another. Pokemon doesn't have any of that. There's four moves, two of which you unlock once and then you're done. All you do is "just" fight. It's just not engaging enough without accompanying "growth"/"loot" of some sort.

I kind of wish it had been like... shoot, what's this dragon-based gacha that used to be all the rage called. I forgot, damnit. But yes - a pokemon game with the massive pokemon loot pool would've been much better than what we currently got, I think. Make the move-pool an equipment/loot-based system where you can slot in/out different moves, upgrade them, something like that.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
b) for gachas to have you playing for longer, there just needs to be some kind of "gear" that you can acquire in one way or another. Pokemon doesn't have any of that. There's four moves, two of which you unlock once and then you're done. All you do is "just" fight. It's just not engaging enough without accompanying "growth"/"loot" of some sort.
But...there is gear. It's likely what you'll be earning in events, too.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
SINoALICE is never releasing, is it? With all of the Nexon re-shufflings, maybe they're trying to find someone else to handle the game (or not at all).

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
SINoALICE is never releasing, is it? With all of the Nexon re-shufflings, maybe they're trying to find someone else to handle the game (or not at all).
What if square enix takes over the game again and publishes it themselves? We can wait a year for that right?

/sleep-talking

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of Pokemon Masters the more I'm glad I never bothered with the game. Looks tedious, annoying, stingy and with shitty rewards.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just basically doing my logins and most basic of daily rewards. I hope they improve the game, but I'm really not expecting much. They've already power-crept Karen and it's been what? A week. :/

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, many issues, UI is not great (most of the shortcuts are not there), stingy gem amounts, one month event that can be cleared in 5mins, doing daily quest gives gems that are 1/10 for single pull...

Cleared story (mostly skpping text after chapter 4). End game is coop play that is hindered to slowest game speed, stupid way to introduce Gear (you need to coop hard dungeon before it is shown).

They have 7% rate for 5*, earlier account I made multi which had 2x4* and 8x3*. With the account I now had pulled 15 single pulls, result was freebie 4* dupe and rest were 3*.

To the next gacha game, didnt feel bad to delete this

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem for me is the endgame (EX Co-Op, particularly on Very Hard) - I don't understand why a Pokemon gacha is this bone crushingly difficult at launch, rendering about 95% of the cast useless. Effectively people rage quit if you don't bring Lycanroc or at least Treecko, everyone else doesn't hit single targets hard enough, and the enemies are immune to status (so most of the Tech roster is literally unusable).

Some 3 and 4*s may have a chance if you engage in the ridiculous dupe system, needing 20 rank up materials to add a star, at every rarity, which for an 3* can ultimately add 80 stats in everything along with 180 HP. The difference between an upgraded 3* and not is staggering. I honestly don't see how F2Ps can clear this content, and for me that's worse than if F2Ps can't rank high in PvP.

Who is this for? Granblue hardcore guild war DPS racers? That's essentially what this boils down to - it doesn't have much to do with actual competitive Pokemon battling. All this and I haven't even gotten into my frustrations with the gear farming...

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it has massive problems. Luckily the daily required grind is so very little that I don't mind spending the 3 minutes it takes to complete the super courses and moving on with my day in case they actually fix the issues.

But beyond that, it really isn't worth it at this point. I hope they can turn it around. DeNA has a reputation for notoriously awful launches, but they usually turn it around when there's an IP they deem is worthy. Hopefully that's the case here.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Ah so co-op is the endgame? That kills my remaining interest
It's literally the only way to farm vouchers for the Blue event as well. They really want you to play Co-Op (and realize you need to pull gacha 5*s to complete endgame content).

While you could solo and auto with 3x speed. You can coop only with 1x speed, its way too slow speed added the possibility to be with random coopers that aren't so good or their units are wrong -> Very much time wasted in failure.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
While you could solo and auto with 3x speed. You can coop only with 1x speed, its way too slow speed added the possibility to be with random coopers that aren't so good or their units are wrong -> Very much time wasted in failure.

You'd kind of have to run it at 1x in the harder stages because you need extremely precise timing. Of course 3x would be nice for the easier farming ones.

This is basically content for hardcore players who go into Discord and seek out other top end players with extremely specific team compositions and organize themselves, not too different from GBF Raids. I have no idea why a Pokemon game is targeting that kind of audience.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
This is basically content for hardcore players who go into Discord and seek out other top end players with extremely specific team compositions and organize themselves, not too different from GBF Raids. I have no idea why a Pokemon game is targeting that kind of audience.

Already the way how the game introduced Gear is very hc way to do it. You needed to clear hard coop (took me few tries btw) to open Gear option and that was after chapter 18 which at the moment is last story chapter.

So yeah, I don't know either why they are doing this way from day 1.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Maybe it's because I miss Monster Strike, but I would have loved a marble battle system like that for Pokemon Masters. Pull for Pokemon from the gacha (or collect them in-game through events) and use them in battle by flicking them around a table. Activate abilities before you do so (or set up ultimate attacks), and even have it so sub-abilities activate if you hit your other allied Pokemon on the field. Maybe have the catching mechanic be that you have to knock the HP of your opponent down to a specific level and then use a Pokeball to bounce off the table and capture it.

But again, this is probably just me missing Monster Strike (RIP Global version). I know it would be unconventional for a Pokemon game to play like this, I just find that style of gameplay to be interesting to me.

Too bad you're not in Japan. Monsuto is still dominating the charts and still fun to play. I've been playing for years now and it's still the most friendly f2p game I know.

Last edited:

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Accidentally posted this in the Masters thread but I'm glad my expectations weren't too high based on gameplay I had seen. Arknights and 10 Project (and maybe Final Gear, but I've read worrying things about it) are the other games I'm looking forward to this year and hopefully they deliver.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard of 10 Project. Not sure about the character designs but the sprites and vibrant stages are nice. I am very much ready for Arknights.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard of 10 Project. Not sure about the character designs but the sprites and vibrant stages are nice. I am very much ready for Arknights.

Tachibana (who is a regular on gachagaming and I've talked to him many times about Brown Dust and other things) has a long impressions video - I think it looks promising:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
A new Fist of the North Star Gacha released yesterday.
It's cute so far. Kinda Summoners War style hero collector where you need dupes to get extra shards and power the ones you have up.
Already they have a tiered VIP system and characters currently locked behind money purchases so I don't think it'll be a permamanet fixture in my rotation but it's pretty enough that I'll keep checking it out.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Another ten-pull for my Ultimate Madoka fund.

Lots of people are so convinced she's not arriving any sooner than the first anniversary are going to be surprised when she hits at the end of the year. With the increased pace they HAVE to release her before then, otherwise we'll be caught up with the Japanese version and be without certain characters, such as the second anniversary characters (Iroha and Nanami), who I suspect will arrive around our first official anniversary. Then, by the time the third anniversary for Japan rolls around (assuming the game doesn't suffer a horrible fate) we'll be all caught up with them.

Last edited:

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
"Unfortunately maintenance is still in progress. Currently we are unable to estimate when it will be finished."

We better be getting a lot of apologems for this.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I feel bad for sleeping on E7. I tried it on launch and got bored for some reason. Restarted a few days ago and man, it's fun. Still a lot to get my head around but I think I'm gonna stick with it

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I feel bad for sleeping on E7. I tried it on launch and got bored for some reason. Restarted a few days ago and man, it's fun. Still a lot to get my head around but I think I'm gonna stick with it
The game has really, really turned around in recent months. Pity on every banner, auto repeat and auto refresh coming next month with the pet system, equipment manager, better login rewards, nerfs and buffs every 6 weeks... Plus world bosses, real time arena, and more raid bosses are coming soon (tm).

The Discord has an advice channel if you use Discord. People are generally really helpful. They get salty in the main channel, though.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
There's still some things I'm trepidatious about, but overall E7 has really turned a lot around since that hilarious live conference.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
Between the glut of potions and the 1/2 stamina quests, I'm pretty sure you can't even use up all your AP now if you played 24 hours a day.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of despair...

Ready your wallets, Magia Record fans! Tart...er I mean "Darc", arrives on the 11th. I'm still saving for Godoka, but this is the first hype release for the game so here's hoping it does well.

Yeah, I would have rolled for her if it was around Feb. By then I would have supplied a decent stash of gems, but since they are rushing banners and events. I'm now waiting for Ultimate Madoka. She might come out the same time as Holy Mami. Then cool Homura Akemi probably comes out in spring or summer next year.