• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
How's the story? Is the upcoming anime going to cover everything in the game so far? Does it take forever to get the materials you need so characters are strong enough to handle single-player content?
Story is probably my favorite part of the game, if you like the original series chances are you'll like this as well. The upcoming anime seems to deviate a bit (it even has an original character that may or may not eventually show up in Magia Record, I'm leaning more towards the former), so you'll probably be able to enjoy both.

It doesn't take too long at all to max out characters, since events normally give you a ton of XP materials to level them up. Similar to that, they give you a selection of awakening materials with each event as well, and the ones you need right away are pretty easily farmed from story content (some exceptions apply). There's a Global-exclusive "daily coin" system as well, where if you do a single Mirrors Battle (PVP against AI controlled characters, but you don't need to win), you can trade it in for a specific ascension material (ten per each month). That helps out a lot if you're after something specific that might be more difficult to obtain.

As for single-player content, it's not too difficult at all. The only difficulty you might find are particular challenges (namely during events), but you can more-or-less steamroll through it with a Double Madoka team. Since we'll all get a "choose-your-own ticket" ticket for non-limited girls from Mifuyu and earlier, you can easily grab Madoka that way (if you don't want to do the paid summon for her). Double Mami teams are good too, but you can't beat Double Madoka since she's a neutral element (light), heals and gives MP with her Connect, and her Magia/Doppel damages all enemies and grants a defenseive buff for three turns, as well as charging everyone's Magia Gauge. She might not be the DPS powerhouse, but she's super reliable, even only at one Memoria slot.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas when this will come. I restarted login to game few days ago. I prolly missed first free multi cause didn't remember that its in the banner and not like some ticket.
We should be getting it on the 8th, along with the Start Dash Fate Weave and Anime Missions.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the ticket for non limited units only? Thinking I either go for Madoka thus getting it to 2 slotter or get my Ren to 3 slotter.
Just non-limited, yet. Madoka is pretty strong at only one slot, but I don't blame you if you go that route. Personally my Ren is at three slots, so I'll probably go for her just to finish her off.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I just downloaded Magica Record today, thought I'll get free 4* right away but apparently not :_;

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I just downloaded Magica Record today, thought I'll get free 4* right away but apparently not :_;
It starts on the 8th. If you already have an account you'll still get the free ticket then, so no worries. The sooner you start the better, so you can start using the free daily ten-pulls.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
In the interest of giving it one more try, I redownloaded Magireco and used the transfer code I set up when I played it for a week back at launch so I wouldn't have to start completely from scratch, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and forgot how most of the battle and progression mechanics work. I was somewhere in the middle of chapter 2 so I just started picking a high-level support with an elemental advantage and used the autoplay to clear the story chapters, skipping over the cutscenes for now (I'll go back and read them later after the initial set of free summons are done and I've watched the first anime episode). The problem is that, while this feels way more efficient to play than FGO, it also feels way more... boring, and none of the game-original characters really feel particularly memorable aside from Iroha, Yachiyo, and Momoko. I want to like it, but compared to FGO it's just not clicking. Might just not be the right game for me.
Oh, and I did already see the option in the summon menus to pick a free 4* right now without paying anything.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The more you play the game, the more endearing the characters will become to you (at least the did for me). They also have personal stories you unlock that help flesh out their history. As for it being "boring", the main story content isn't the most challenging, not like FGO where some of the story battles are legit difficult if you don't have a powerful support (either your own or a friend), like with Camelot. The bulk of the challenge in MR comes from the Challenge missions themselves, either through the game events or as a separate option in the main story.

As for the free 4*, that banner appears for everyone right now (it's from the Platinum Mitama Grab Bag). It costs 500 paid gems to use, though it shows up for everyone. The actual free 4* ticket comes out on the 8th.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
The more you play the game, the more endearing the characters will become to you (at least the did for me). They also have personal stories you unlock that help flesh out their history. As for it being "boring", the main story content isn't the most challenging, not like FGO where some of the story battles are legit difficult if you don't have a powerful support (either your own or a friend), like with Camelot. The bulk of the challenge in MR comes from the Challenge missions themselves, either through the game events or as a separate option in the main story.
The only problem you'll have is with events during challenge quests, but because the schedule is so random, even people who have been playing since day one are having trouble, because its content we aren't supposed to have until the most OP units were out.
So all the story battles are braindead and I'll need to farm like crazy to be able to handle the challenge quests? There's no middle ground? And are they still releasing event content at a pace that exceeds resource collection?
And re: the characters, I just might not be the target audience but while the magical girls thing works when there's only a handful so everyone can have something unique about them, with a cast like this a lot of the generic 2/3* girls start to blend together especially when they're all wearing the same color per element. Though I'll admit I may have bias from FGO which both has an advantage of a wider established cast to draw from and the fact that by the nature of what Servants are, everyone has some base characterization at a glance (as long as you're familiar with their inspiration).
As for the free 4*, that banner appears for everyone right now (it's from the Platinum Mitama Grab Bag). It costs 500 paid gems to use, though it shows up for everyone. The actual free 4* ticket comes out on the 8th.
I see now, I had to click through twice (once from the main button, and again after selecting a character) and only then did I get the prompt to actually use the ticket I don't have. It's... well, not quite scummy since it's up front about needing to pay eventually, but they do sure work to obfuscate it through needing to use real money to buy special gems that you then use to buy the special ticket which you can then finally use from the gacha screen.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So all the story battles are braindead and I'll need to farm like crazy to be able to handle the challenge quests? There's no middle ground? And are they still releasing event content at a pace that exceeds resource collection?
And re: the characters, I just might not be the target audience but while the magical girls thing works when there's only a handful so everyone can have something unique about them, with a cast like this a lot of the generic 2/3* girls start to blend together especially when they're all wearing the same color per element. Though I'll admit I may have bias from FGO which both has an advantage of a wider established cast to draw from and the fact that by the nature of what Servants are, everyone has some base characterization at a glance (as long as you're familiar with their inspiration).

I see now, I had to click through twice (once from the main button, and again after selecting a character) and only then did I get the prompt to actually use the ticket I don't have. It's... well, not quite scummy since it's up front about needing to pay eventually, but they do sure work to obfuscate it through needing to use real money to buy special gems that you then use to buy the special ticket which you can then finally use from the gacha screen.
The story battles (at least so far, it's possible they get more difficult in the future) have been really easy, yeah. I don't think I came close to dying during any of them, as long as you run Magical Girls strong against the element you're facing you should be fine. Smaller teams centered around the opposing element also works better (so between 2-3 Magical Girls), so you can build up their Magia Gauges faster. Again, it's definitely possible things progress difficulty wise in the future, I'm afraid to check due to fear of spoilers. That being said, I doubt things will ever get truly difficult, as that's where the Challenge quests tend to come in. It's mostly there as a wrapping to tell you the story, of which I find really interesting. Whether it's something you gravitate towards or not I can't say, but if you enjoy the main series you'd probably like this as well.

We are still getting events at a break-neck speed. Oddly enough, they've slowed down on the release of the main chapter story content, which leads to us only getting a handful of new story missions before they dry up again. The slow pace for them has really become irritating to me (thanks in part to how invested I am in the story and seeing how everything turns out), so I haven't even touched the last couple of story updates as I'm waiting for them to "bank up" a bit so I can go through them then. Resource collection, if you're talking about XP gems and evolution materials, I wouldn't worry about. As long as you make smart decisions as to what to grab in each event shop (and grinding the most effective missions in each event), you'll have more materials on-hand then you'll know what to do with. The only resource you'll likely always be short of (if not now, then in the future) is Curse Chips (i.e., money). Think QP in FGO, enough is never enough, as it costs a lot to evolve your characters. Rainbow Orbs might be difficult to obtain early on too, but every event gives you a handful so unless you're getting 4* girls left-and-right (or don't plan to evolve everyone right away), it shouldn't be too bad.

Regarding the Magical Girls in the game, they are prevalent in a lot of the event stories, and they do have distinct personalities to them. The "main ones are from the two core groups though, those being Team Iroha (Iroha, Yachiro, Felicia, Sana, and Tsuruno) and Team Momoko (Momoko, Rena and Kaede). There are other Magical Girl teams too, and they do get their moments to shine, but it's mostly these two groups (again, at least up to the current story chapter). You do get crossovers from the original Magica story as well, so Madoka/Homura/Kyoko/Sayaka/Mami/etc. make appearances too, which is always cool to see. It's treated as an alternate story/timeline than the anime series, so some things line up while others don't. I didn't know much of the new Magical Girls when I started and I already have several favorites, they've really grown on me and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're handled in the anime.

As for the paid gacha banner being visible to everyone, it's definitely weird. I was surprised they didn't make it hidden until you purchased the bundle, but I guess it's easier to tempt the playerbase this way. :/

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just don't think I'm feeling it. Don't have room for another farm-heavy game and there's too many mechanics involved. I can just watch the anime for the main story and it's not a good sign that I don't really care about wanting to learn more about any of the non-main characters, at least. FGO ain't perfect but it's definitely spoiled me on how to present story and characters in a gacha.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The game definitely isn't for everyone, at least you gave it a try. Can't ask for more than that.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
So about Arknights - how much content is there and does frequent login require? I prefer a game that doesn't require me to spend energy every few hours.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
So about Arknights - how much content is there and does frequent login require? I prefer a game that doesn't require me to spend energy every few hours.
Early on, you're going to be playing a lot. It's just how the game is, kinda like a single player game. Then once you reach end-game there is a pretty severe lack of energy.

Arknights, after the initial story/content push, is very strictly a side game.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
So far I've been refunded $1,200 by Apple and $1,000 by google. So I'm about 50% whole. Apple said they can't do anymore because the charges are too old, and I'm still waiting on Google to see if I can get more back. At least 20 other people from the same game are also in full refund mode, so the developer is probably panicing.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Good to see you get something back. This reinforces my idea that games with IAP from lesser known developer should be avoided.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
How's the story? Is the upcoming anime going to cover everything in the game so far? Does it take forever to get the materials you need so characters are strong enough to handle single-player content?
1. Mostly good. The main story has good ideas but the writing could stand to be better in parts. Most of the events have good stories. Each character has their own side story that's anywhere from 15-45 minutes long, ranging in quality from "mediocre" to "great". The main story also has full voice acting.

2. The upcoming anime appears to be a 26 episode adaptation (I'm suspecting this will be split cour). We don't know how much it will cover, but I'm guessing it will be a re-imagining of the entire first arc. I saw the first two episodes at Anime NYC, and while it covered the same beats of the first chapter and a half, the content had a bunch of significant differences from the game. So I wouldn't say the anime would serve as a replacement for playing the game.

3. Not really. You get 3 common/2 uncommon/1 rare mat per day just for engaging with the rudimentary PVP mode ("Mirrors") a little and it's super easy to farm for mats due to the autoplay mode and the ridiculous amount of stamina potions you get. CC is the main hangup. It's basically the same thing as QP in FGO if you've played that. There's only a limited amount of "easy" CC to get per month, plus whatever you get from event shops, and you need it to ascend characters to higher rarity levels and power up their super moves.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record really does have some amazing animations for when you summon new girls though, especially the 4*.

Chris Rysdyk

Feb 22, 2018
With my 10 free summon today on magia I got 2 new 4* units which was both fire units of Mao Himaka and Togame Momoko

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Momoko strikes again!

Congrats though, I haven't gotten a 4* out of these daily free ten-pulls just yet. Hopefully soon.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the new PC client of Honkai Impact to hold me over until Arknights and it's a legitimate joy to play, there's a great event going on named Sanka Saga, where you can get Darkbolt Jounin Yae Sakura by farming/buying her fragments. This is the boss I beat today (but the EX version) just to show off that Valkyrie.

I'm aware Era has an Einbroch brand Honkai OT but even there people barely discussed the release of the PC client so I figured I mention it here.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
The game definitely isn't for everyone, at least you gave it a try. Can't ask for more than that.
I mean, I really do want to like the game, it's just that to start an account from (basically) scratch at this point feels really miserable. No clear idea what each character is good at, wondering if I should be farming the daily experience or material quests more, multiple limited-time items in the shops, no clear idea of if/when I'd ever get to access missed limited-time content...
It echoes back to what I've said before about playing any gacha game if you didn't start when it launched:
I've always felt like it's incredibly difficult to get into any gacha game that's been running for a while due the major lack of initial resources when so many are resource-heavy, along with there usually being a decent amount of limited-time content that's lost to you forever.
And I have a few complains about the UI too, like not being able to see HP numbers directly on the main battle screen, or having to deal with a single horizontally-scrolling list when selecting characters for something, and a few other things.
1. Mostly good. The main story has good ideas but the writing could stand to be better in parts. Most of the events have good stories. Each character has their own side story that's anywhere from 15-45 minutes long, ranging in quality from "mediocre" to "great". The main story also has full voice acting.

2. The upcoming anime appears to be a 26 episode adaptation (I'm suspecting this will be split cour). We don't know how much it will cover, but I'm guessing it will be a re-imagining of the entire first arc. I saw the first two episodes at Anime NYC, and while it covered the same beats of the first chapter and a half, the content had a bunch of significant differences from the game. So I wouldn't say the anime would serve as a replacement for playing the game.

3. Not really. You get 3 common/2 uncommon/1 rare mat per day just for engaging with the rudimentary PVP mode ("Mirrors") a little and it's super easy to farm for mats due to the autoplay mode and the ridiculous amount of stamina potions you get. CC is the main hangup. It's basically the same thing as QP in FGO if you've played that. There's only a limited amount of "easy" CC to get per month, plus whatever you get from event shops, and you need it to ascend characters to higher rarity levels and power up their super moves.
LOL my avatar is (currently) Yan Qing and I've been posting up a storm in the FGO thread recently, but I don't think you're super active there. FGO has been my only RPG gacha game for the past two and a half years and is the baseline I compare everything else to, for better or worse.

Anyway, what do you mean by "mostly" good for the story? It sounds like the anime will have some embellishments so it's not just a straight retread for players, but I don't think they're going to swerve that far away from the main plot of the game though. Besides, having seen with the Babylonia anime just how much more life the animated format can breathe into things, I'd rather just experience it that way than deal with having to tap through everything if I'm just starting out on the game (especially if there's no real challenge or dramatic moments like in FGO to be had in the story fights).
And as far as the mirrors stuff, are you talking about the daily coin thing? There are literally ten different menus to buy stuff from in the shop, though admittedly I think a third of them are event/limited-time related and one more is for whales only.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see you get something back. This reinforces my idea that games with IAP from lesser known developer should be avoided.
Yeah, unless its a proven company with something of a image to lose...i dont bother trying a game out unless it looks amazing, but wouldnt get too invested in whatever game they were providing.

metaprogram
Glad to hear that you got at least some of your spendings refunded. Hope you get even more back as more potential "victims" initiate the refund process.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get back into Granblue Fantasy, rather than just casually playing it, and I'd forgotten how obtuse this game is. It's hard to figure out what you should be doing. I suppose the amount of guides for other English language stuff has made me lazy

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So far I've been refunded $1,200 by Apple and $1,000 by google. So I'm about 50% whole. Apple said they can't do anymore because the charges are too old, and I'm still waiting on Google to see if I can get more back. At least 20 other people from the same game are also in full refund mode, so the developer is probably panicing.
Nice to see you at least got some back!

I mean, I really do want to like the game, it's just that to start an account from (basically) scratch at this point feels really miserable. No clear idea what each character is good at, wondering if I should be farming the daily experience or material quests more, multiple limited-time items in the shops, no clear idea of if/when I'd ever get to access missed limited-time content...
It echoes back to what I've said before about playing any gacha game if you didn't start when it launched:

And I have a few complains about the UI too, like not being able to see HP numbers directly on the main battle screen, or having to deal with a single horizontally-scrolling list when selecting characters for something, and a few other things.
It can definitely be hard starting a gacha game when it hasn't just launched, but Magia Record has only been running for a little over six months. It's no too old yet, and jumping into the game isn't terribly difficult (since the mechanics aren't overly obtuse). As for missed content, we'll almost definitely have re-runs, so I wouldn't worry about that (aside from the Nanoha/Fate collaboration, which may or may not return).

The News Years event right now is pretty chill, since there's not a lot of grinding. Do the story quests once-through for the event/shop currency, and then the Challenge Maps (whatever you can manage) for the rest of the currency. Grab the important items (background, memoria) before the rest, if you're really worried about missing out on the exclusive items (though the tickets and rainbow orbs are definitely worth it). If you grab Madoka with the Mitama Ticket on the 8th, you can basically Double Madoka all of the challenges (if you level up/evolve her to 5*) with a strong friend. In this game you can add whoever and they don't need to follow you back to use them, so you can just follow a bunch of whales and make use of their characters (though you won't get FP from them, unless they follow you back). Though the 8th will make it too late to have Madoka for this event, but at least you'll be prepared for the next event (New Year's Mitama). which starts immediately afterwards.

Do keep in-mind, if you give the game another try, that the pace is constant. We're always at a state of having events after events, with little-to-no break in-between. It helps that a lot of it can be done on Auto, but it's still a grind. The Magia Record anime just started today, so maybe give that a watch and see how you feel about the characters/world after you've gone through it.

If you're serious about wanting to play, just log in and take things slow. Don't try to do too much at once, and take things at your own pace. I know it can feel overwhelming with a bunch of content for you to sift through, but when you break everything down it's really not that hard. The only limited time things you'll have to manage are the current events, and as I mentioned, the current New Year's Madoka event is pretty laid-back, more so than previous ones. It's reflected in the shop, and how few items there are to grab. If you're just jumping in, now is actually one of the better times to do so, rather than try during a heavily grind-intensive one.

But ultimately in the end, the choice is yours!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The notion that missing out on any welfare content becomes debilitating or the need to catch up with veteran players when just starting out seems like an incredibly unhealthy mindset to have for any game with an online component, not just gachas.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
It can definitely be hard starting a gacha game when it hasn't just launched, but Magia Record has only been running for a little over six months. It's no too old yet, and jumping into the game isn't terribly difficult (since the mechanics aren't overly obtuse). As for missed content, we'll almost definitely have re-runs, so I wouldn't worry about that (aside from the Nanoha/Fate collaboration, which may or may not return).
What about the mechanics not being obtuse makes it easier to start midway through?
The News Years event right now is pretty chill, since there's not a lot of grinding. Do the story quests once-through for the event/shop currency, and then the Challenge Maps (whatever you can manage) for the rest of the currency. Grab the important items (background, memoria) before the rest, if you're really worried about missing out on the exclusive items (though the tickets and rainbow orbs are definitely worth it). If you grab Madoka with the Mitama Ticket on the 8th, you can basically Double Madoka all of the challenges (if you level up/evolve her to 5*) with a strong friend. In this game you can add whoever and they don't need to follow you back to use them, so you can just follow a bunch of whales and make use of their characters (though you won't get FP from them, unless they follow you back). Though the 8th will make it too late to have Madoka for this event, but at least you'll be prepared for the next event (New Year's Mitama). which starts immediately afterwards.
The challenge quest skyrockets the difficulty level from 20 to 60, so I don't know if a single whale is strong enough to handle that. (And why are there two New Year's events in a row?)
Do keep in-mind, if you give the game another try, that the pace is constant. We're always at a state of having events after events, with little-to-no break in-between. It helps that a lot of it can be done on Auto, but it's still a grind. The Magia Record anime just started today, so maybe give that a watch and see how you feel about the characters/world after you've gone through it.
Well, I watched episode 1 and true to what jonjonaug said, it does look like the anime is far from a straight adaptation of the game. The highly-accelerated pace of content still feels like it would be an issue though, and from my experience so far auto-play isn't terribly smart but as long as you're leveled high enough to just crush things without needing to worry about strategy, it seems like it'll work. Does combat ever reach a point where it's not super-easy but also not super-hard, where a bit of planning for team comp give you a fair and balanced fight?
If you're serious about wanting to play, just log in and take things slow. Don't try to do too much at once, and take things at your own pace. I know it can feel overwhelming with a bunch of content for you to sift through, but when you break everything down it's really not that hard. The only limited time things you'll have to manage are the current events, and as I mentioned, the current New Year's Madoka event is pretty laid-back, more so than previous ones. It's reflected in the shop, and how few items there are to grab. If you're just jumping in, now is actually one of the better times to do so, rather than try during a heavily grind-intensive one.
Okay, so... mind breaking everything down then? What's the right priority to handle things vis-a-vis the main story, another story, MG stories, XP dailies, and material dailies? Obviously any limited-time quests should be dealt with first as long as they're within my difficulty ranger, but otherwise it's a mess. There are like 20 various 2/3* characters on my roster plus Iroha and welfare Homura, should I just focus on building up one of each element for now or what?
The notion that missing out on any welfare content becomes debilitating or the need to catch up with veteran players when just starting out seems like an incredibly unhealthy mindset to have for any game with an online component, not just gachas.
Nah, I'd just say it's calling out the inherent imbalance that all gachas have. How much it matters varies from game to game due to how they each approach it (for example, I really don't care about it in stuff like Bang Dream, where I missed five or six events over the summer but I'll eventually be able to buy anyone I missed from the shop, plus the event stories are still readable, and it's more of a "collection" kind of game anyway where the gameplay is affect much less by your gacha results).

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
As expected of Magia record, they are running next years' New Years event once this one ends. I'm even more convinced that they plan on merging the servers eventually.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Nah, I'd just say it's calling out the inherent imbalance that all gachas have. How much it matters varies from game to game due to how they each approach it (for example, I really don't care about it in stuff like Bang Dream, where I missed five or six events over the summer but I'll eventually be able to buy anyone I missed from the shop, plus the event stories are still readable, and it's more of a "collection" kind of game anyway where the gameplay is affect much less by your gacha results).

I just consider your general outlook a tad extreme because of your thought process in the following:

You go from "I'm new so I don't understand much" immediately to "this is why it's bad to start gacha games outside launch," and I feel like you're jumping the gun a bit. Something many people do when they're just starting in a gacha game that's been out for a while is they either don't care about missing stuff to this extent, or if they do, they immediately seek advice from veterans. If I were starting Magia and had your concerns, the first thing I would do is ask active players what each characters are good at, how I should build my roster, what I should be focusing on, which items in the shop should I be grabbing, how often reruns occur, etc. This is a legitimate benefit new players have since launch players essentially just had to trial and error their way through this process.

It's true that gachas can suffer from the issues you bring up, but some of the problems you're personally facing can be alleviated by having a different approach than brute forcing then lamenting about not understanding. You're starting to do that now with Magia, but I'm just saying you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by asking about these things from the get go.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Something many people do when they're just starting in a gacha game that's been out for a while is they either don't care about missing stuff to this extent, or if they do, they immediately seek advice from veterans. If I were starting Magia and had your concerns, the first thing I would do is ask active players what each characters are good at, how I should build my roster, what I should be focusing on, which items in the shop should I be grabbing, how often reruns occur, etc. This is a legitimate benefit new players have since launch players essentially just had to trial and error their way through this process.
Well it sure is a shame there's no OT here where I could directly ask questions like that. Or maybe I was just being too subtle earlier.
I don't really know why I reinstalled it anyway just because of all the free summons promotions when I didn't do the same for Dragalia knowing all the welfare stuff I missed in both; maybe it was because unlike Dragalia this is a turn-based RPG that I don't have to play in real-time co-op, maybe it was the anime starting, maybe because I wanted to give the story and characters a second chance but found that the way the story is structured isn't holding my attention as well as FGO and the characters have nowhere the same uniqueness.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Well it sure is a shame there's no OT here where I could directly ask questions like that. Or maybe I was just being too subtle earlier.
I don't really know why I reinstalled it anyway just because of all the free summons promotions when I didn't do the same for Dragalia knowing all the welfare stuff I missed in both; maybe it was because unlike Dragalia this is a turn-based RPG that I don't have to play in real-time co-op, maybe it was the anime starting, maybe because I wanted to give the story and characters a second chance but found that the way the story is structured isn't holding my attention as well as FGO and the characters have nowhere the same uniqueness.

No idea why you're bringing up Dragalia, but whatever.

If you're mainly only concerned about the story, that's valid, FGO is known for having the best in the gacha space. But even FGO has you sorting through some bog standard stuff initially before it gets good.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Threw 23 tickets at the Madoka Kaname (Kimono) Fate Weave and Sayaka Miki came out. Guess I don't have to pick her in a few days. Got one the Limited Going out in a Kimono memoria too, so picked Homura Akemi's New Year costume. All the dead time in FGO, I can do this event finally. Not sure if I'll finish it, but I'll do what I can.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
No idea why you're bringing up Dragalia, but whatever.

If you're mainly only concerned about the story, that's valid, FGO is known for having the best in the gacha space. But even FGO has you sorting through some bog standard stuff initially before it gets good.
It was the most recent high-profile gacha game in NA that had a similar string of free summons and I was just invoking it as part of the comparison while trying to parse out why I started Magireco again even if it felt like I was going to bitch about it for reasons I knew ahead of time.
And even in the lower points of FGO, it still felt like a stronger draw and presentation than Magireco so far, despite lacking the voiced dialogue and animated sprites, though that probably just gets chalked up to personal preference.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
It was the most recent high-profile gacha game in NA that had a similar string of free summons and I was just invoking it as part of the comparison while trying to parse out why I started Magireco again even if it felt like I was going to bitch about it for reasons I knew ahead of time.
And even in the lower points of FGO, it still felt like a stronger draw and presentation than Magireco so far, despite lacking the voiced dialogue and animated sprites, though that probably just gets chalked up to personal preference.

VA definitely comes with its own strengths and weaknesses. For a lot of folks It's easier to "watch" something that's read to you and stay engaged instead of actively reading it. The VA can breathe more life into a script, as it were. However, reading text allows you to get the information at your own pace better, especially when you read faster than the VA. It can also be more descriptive, since VA generally has someone verbally describe something, while text allows a writer to describe things in more detail, that would sound awkward when spoken aloud by a character. Mainly comes down to the personal preference of receiving a narrative, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What about the mechanics not being obtuse makes it easier to start midway through?
I meant more that you don't need to spend additional time to wrap your head around the gameplay mechanics (like with something such as GBF, for example), and can start right away grinding away at story missions, even missions, etc. It's more "beginner-friendly" in that way.

But honestly, it sounds like the game just isn't for you. You gave it a try and it didn't resonate with you. If you're not enjoying things now (the gameplay, story, characters, etc.), I'm doubtful you ever will, so I'd delete and move on. Any amount of free pulls isn't worth it if the game itself isn't something to your taste.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I meant more that you don't need to spend additional time to wrap your head around the gameplay mechanics (like with something such as GBF, for example), and can start right away grinding away at story missions, even missions, etc. It's more "beginner-friendly" in that way.

But honestly, it sounds like the game just isn't for you. You gave it a try and it didn't resonate with you. If you're not enjoying things now (the gameplay, story, characters, etc.), I'm doubtful you ever will, so I'd delete and move on. Any amount of free pulls isn't worth it if the game itself isn't something to your taste.
No comment on everything else I responded with to you?

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Get hyped for 1.5 hours of voice actresses cracking jokes and attempting to play the game, possibly followed by twenty minutes of actual news.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
No comment on everything else I responded with to you?
I mean, I could type out a detailed plan of action to get you into the game (i.e., things to start out doing first), but if you don't enjoy the core gameplay/story itself, I doubt it'll help much. :(

There's no way to tweak auto unfortunately, aside from being able to tell the game to use skills/Magia in the beginning rounds or save everything for the final one. It can be hit-or-miss, so for truly difficult content (if you opt to not double Madoka it) you'll probably want direct control.

As for the double New Years question, they've been doubling down on seasonal events to help catch us up to Japan (which will likely happen by the year end), so things have been kind of hectic as of late and I don't expect it to slow down anytime soon (double summer, probably double Anniversary, etc.).

Sorry I'm in a rush right now, so I can't type out more. If you're serious about really wanting to learn the inner workings of the game (or tips/tricks/etc.) I could try to type something out in a bit when I have more time.

Edit:

Step One: Grab Madoka with the Mitama Ticket on the 8th. First work on leveling/evolving her. The Light XP dungeon starts on Thursday, and the Evolution Dungeon on Friday. Don't stop until you have her evoolved to 5* and at max level. After this, find as many Madoka friends as you can. You can basically Double Madoka all PVE content in the game, aside for a few instances.

Step Two: Work through the New Year Mitama's event, as it's limited time. If it works similar to New Year Madoka's event, there won't be a ton of items in the shop so it'll be pretty easy to clear out the useful items. Do the story content for the event first (as it unlocks), and then up to the highest Challenge you can do. Trade in the event currency for items.

Step Three: Work on leveling between 1-2 girls of each element. Do to how the game works, you want to run smaller teams so you can connect/gain Magia. Thankfully there are a handful of useful/common girls that are great when evolved.

Fire: Tsuruno (2*)
Water: Yachiyo (2*) Nanaka (3*)
Wind: Kako (2*) Kaede (3*)
Light: All you need is Madoka to start, but if you want more, Oriko (3*) is great. Iroha is nice too.
Dark: Felicia (2*)

That being said, you could use Madoka for pretty much anything, since as I mentioned the Double Madoka strategy is too strong. It might not be the fastest but it's extremely reliable. I'd still work on these characters though, as they have their uses and it's always nice to work towards a mono element team if you can. Obviously if you get lucky and snag another 4*, work them in.

Step Four: Work on clearing the main story. You can do this before or after step three, as Madoka is enough to get you through it. The Challenge Maps and such can come later, as they're just a source of free Magia Gems and nothing else. Magical Girl stories can only be fully completed once you unlock their respective bonds to 5, which can take a while. It'll allow them to unlock their Doppel (a stronger form of their Magia), but can be delayed until we get our next Mitama Training event (as both the event girl during it, and one of your choosing, gets a nice increase to their XP and bond gain when you run those event maps with them in the team, making it much easier to hit bond 5).

That's really it. Beyond that, just do what you want. Grind the events as they happen, and use the currency for any items you need (event-exclusive items, XP, Awakening, CC, etc.).

As for difficulty, none of it is really "super hard", aside from the Nanoha/Fate event (which arrived earlier than expected in the power-creep, but thankfully they nerfed things a bit) and the gauntlet style event we had a few months back. The important items were easily gained, but if you wanted to finish it completely you were in for a rough time). The earlier content in the event (like the main story stuff) is really easy, as it should be, so all players can go through it. The Challenge Maps do have a fair bit of difficulty to them, while still being fair (in most cases), so that's where you'll get the bulk of your strategy from.

Last edited: