• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I could type out a detailed plan of action to get you into the game (i.e., things to start out doing first), but if you don't enjoy the core gameplay/story itself, I doubt it'll help much. :(

There's no way to tweak auto unfortunately, aside from being able to tell the game to use skills/Magia in the beginning rounds or save everything for the final one. It can be hit-or-miss, so for truly difficult content (if you opt to not double Madoka it) you'll probably want direct control.

As for the double New Years question, they've been doubling down on seasonal events to help catch us up to Japan (which will likely happen by the year end), so things have been kind of hectic as of late and I don't expect it to slow down anytime soon (double summer, probably double Anniversary, etc.).

Sorry I'm in a rush right now, so I can't type out more. If you're serious about really wanting to learn the inner workings of the game (or tips/tricks/etc.) I could try to type something out in a bit when I have more time.

Edit:

Step One: Grab Madoka with the Mitama Ticket on the 8th. First work on leveling/evolving her. The Light XP dungeon starts on Thursday, and the Evolution Dungeon on Friday. Don't stop until you have her evoolved to 5* and at max level. After this, find as many Madoka friends as you can. You can basically Double Madoka all PVE content in the game, aside for a few instances.

Step Two: Work through the New Year Mitama's event, as it's limited time. If it works similar to New Year Madoka's event, there won't be a ton of items in the shop so it'll be pretty easy to clear out the useful items. Do the story content for the event first (as it unlocks), and then up to the highest Challenge you can do. Trade in the event currency for items.

Step Three: Work on leveling between 1-2 girls of each element. Do to how the game works, you want to run smaller teams so you can connect/gain Magia. Thankfully there are a handful of useful/common girls that are great when evolved.

Fire: Tsuruno (2*)
Water: Yachiyo (2*) Nanaka (3*)
Wind: Kako (2*) Kaede (3*)
Light: All you need is Madoka to start, but if you want more, Oriko (3*) is great. Iroha is nice too.
Dark: Felicia (2*)

That being said, you could use Madoka for pretty much anything, since as I mentioned the Double Madoka strategy is too strong. It might not be the fastest but it's extremely reliable. I'd still work on these characters though, as they have their uses and it's always nice to work towards a mono element team if you can. Obviously if you get lucky and snag another 4*, work them in.

Step Four: Work on clearing the main story. You can do this before or after step three, as Madoka is enough to get you through it. The Challenge Maps and such can come later, as they're just a source of free Magia Gems and nothing else. Magical Girl stories can only be fully completed once you unlock their respective bonds to 5, which can take a while. It'll allow them to unlock their Doppel (a stronger form of their Magia), but can be delayed until we get our next Mitama Training event (as both the event girl during it, and one of your choosing, gets a nice increase to their XP and bond gain when you run those event maps with them in the team, making it much easier to hit bond 5).

That's really it. Beyond that, just do what you want. Grind the events as they happen, and use the currency for any items you need (event-exclusive items, XP, Awakening, CC, etc.).

As for difficulty, none of it is really "super hard", aside from the Nanoha/Fate event (which arrived earlier than expected in the power-creep, but thankfully they nerfed things a bit) and the gauntlet style event we had a few months back. The important items were easily gained, but if you wanted to finish it completely you were in for a rough time). The earlier content in the event (like the main story stuff) is really easy, as it should be, so all players can go through it. The Challenge Maps do have a fair bit of difficulty to them, while still being fair (in most cases), so that's where you'll get the bulk of your strategy from.
I've been messing around with the game over the weekend bouncing between various modes and so far cleared about around ten or so character stories, the first another story chapter, and the main story up through chapter 4. The grid-based combat feels like it has so much potential but I really haven't felt like I've seen anything yet that required me to strategize, and normal battles feel like a slog; the lowest point was near the end of chapter 4 when the game inexplicably had 4-5 nodes in a row that were all virtually the exact same four-wave fight with the Amane bosses. The randomness of the disc system seems to massively discourage any team size above three characters, and even then since it doesn't deal from the deck the same way FGO does, you can't predict what hand you'll get for any given turn (I did hear some characters have unique equippable skills that let you force their discs for a turn, which I guess is why they're higher tier).

I appreciate you going back to type all that up and I'm going to keep playing for a bit more in hopes of finding some kind of interesting battle content, but for the time being I'll probably set the main story aside to farm materials. The inventory doesn't organize/delineate them in terms of rarity as well as FGO though being able to pull up a list of every quest that drops a specific item is nice, but I guess I need to check a wiki anyway to see which is most efficient. The fact that you need to level back up all from level 1 after promotion is a buzzkill too, especially when I'm almost out of the XP items as things stand. It's been two and a half years since the beginning of FGO so I don't really remember what the XP situation was like back then, but I guess it must have felt similar. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with memoria; needing to get skills from the gacha feels weird (even though connects are supposed to be the primary means of getting buffs/etc in battle, it seems).

I had skipped over most of the cutscenes for story chapter 2 and the early part of 3, but once we finally started getting human opponents in chapter 4 I started caring again. None of the characters besides Iroha, Yachiyo, and Momoko have anywhere near the charm/personality of the original quintet though.

The fact that the game launched with Double Madoka as a viable strategy to destroy any single-player content when it took FGO three years to get Skadi memes does make me wonder about overall balance, but I'll see what I can find.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared the New Year's Shrine event for Magia. There really wasn't much in it. Didn't get enough tickets for the Magia chips that's left, but that's fine. Story and Challenge done. Why can't all their events be like this lol? Leveling up magia levels and I'm broke on CC. Guess I'll do labyrinth for a while until the next New Years event anyway.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been messing around with the game over the weekend bouncing between various modes and so far cleared about around ten or so character stories, the first another story chapter, and the main story up through chapter 4. The grid-based combat feels like it has so much potential but I really haven't felt like I've seen anything yet that required me to strategize, and normal battles feel like a slog; the lowest point was near the end of chapter 4 when the game inexplicably had 4-5 nodes in a row that were all virtually the exact same four-wave fight with the Amane bosses. The randomness of the disc system seems to massively discourage any team size above three characters, and even then since it doesn't deal from the deck the same way FGO does, you can't predict what hand you'll get for any given turn (I did hear some characters have unique equippable skills that let you force their discs for a turn, which I guess is why they're higher tier).

I appreciate you going back to type all that up and I'm going to keep playing for a bit more in hopes of finding some kind of interesting battle content, but for the time being I'll probably set the main story aside to farm materials. The inventory doesn't organize/delineate them in terms of rarity as well as FGO though being able to pull up a list of every quest that drops a specific item is nice, but I guess I need to check a wiki anyway to see which is most efficient. The fact that you need to level back up all from level 1 after promotion is a buzzkill too, especially when I'm almost out of the XP items as things stand. It's been two and a half years since the beginning of FGO so I don't really remember what the XP situation was like back then, but I guess it must have felt similar. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with memoria; needing to get skills from the gacha feels weird (even though connects are supposed to be the primary means of getting buffs/etc in battle, it seems).

I had skipped over most of the cutscenes for story chapter 2 and the early part of 3, but once we finally started getting human opponents in chapter 4 I started caring again. None of the characters besides Iroha, Yachiyo, and Momoko have anywhere near the charm/personality of the original quintet though.

The fact that the game launched with Double Madoka as a viable strategy to destroy any single-player content when it took FGO three years to get Skadi memes does make me wonder about overall balance, but I'll see what I can find.
The disc system can definitely be random. Each girl has their own set of set discs (similar to FGO and their cards), so it helps to pair up girls with discs you want favored (if you want to build Magia, focus on blast discs, etc.). As you mentioned, some girls (like Madoka) have a Personal Memoria that draws a full deck of accel discs, so that definitely helps things (though it does have a cooldown).

Leveling back up from 1 (after evolving) does suck, but if you play enough you'll get to the point where XP gems aren't really a rare commodity so it kind of balances out. It still shouldn't happen though, but it wouldn't be the first gacha game that did it.

Nice to see you liking Iroha/Yahiyo/Momoko, they're awesome. As for the other girls not having much of a personality, you'll probably feel different when Tsuruno (MIGHTIEST MAGICAL GIRL! /self proclaimed) and Felicia join the party. Sana is also a gentle bean. As for the Magius, I won't go in-depth with those since it's spoiler-related, but there's a handful of nice characters there too. The game does start out a bit slow but it does amp up. Good to see you sticking with it for a bit. I hope it

Double Madoka is very strong for PVE content, but she's not the best in PVP or in content where you start on a boss stage and might not have enough time to build her Magia up before the boss starts throwing out debuffs/locking down your characters, etc. She's not overly strong strength-wise, it's just that her connect and Magia/Doppel is so damn useful and easy to spam (when paired with another Madoka). The next big power-creep comes when Ultimate Madoka arrives. She's expected around the first anniversary, so in another 5-6 months, but could arrive sooner due to #NATempo. She's the only character on the Japanese tier list that retains the EX Rank. Definitely start saving for her if you can, assuming you decide to stick with that game. Plus it's Madoka, that should be reason enough to want her for your team.

Cleared the New Year's Shrine event for Magia. There really wasn't much in it. Didn't get enough tickets for the Magia chips that's left, but that's fine. Story and Challenge done. Why can't all their events be like this lol? Leveling up magia levels and I'm broke on CC. Guess I'll do labyrinth for a while until the next New Years event anyway.
Yeah. this event has been really easy to clear. It's nice, since it gave me time to go back and finish up the new story missions, as well as continue working through the Challenge Maps I've yet to go through. I wonder if Mitama's New Year event will be the same.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
surprised no one plays Grand Chase tbh.

I tried for 2 days (Saturday & Sunday). But then I figured I had already 4 SR (without any gacha pulls) and I was level 37 (started new acco) and was getting few more SR and was in 1 guild (where I did left) and figured Iam too late for this to enjoy. So left the guild and deleted the app.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Meant to post somewhere else. Thats what you get when you drink.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I'm going to guess you meant to post that somewhere else, KCS. Unless there's a Kandagawa Jet Girls gacha game I'm unaware of, in which case I must download it!

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
The disc system can definitely be random. Each girl has their own set of set discs (similar to FGO and their cards), so it helps to pair up girls with discs you want favored (if you want to build Magia, focus on blast discs, etc.). As you mentioned, some girls (like Madoka) have a Personal Memoria that draws a full deck of accel discs, so that definitely helps things (though it does have a cooldown).
It sure feels a lot more RNG than FGO due to drawing from a fresh deck every turn, though. I was trying to get one of those "3 Blast chains" conditions for one of the daily quests, but I didn't have a ABBBC of the best element so I picked one AABBC character and a support ABBBC character and still failed to get more than one chain even after dragging the battle out as much as possible.
Nice to see you liking Iroha/Yahiyo/Momoko, they're awesome. As for the other girls not having much of a personality, you'll probably feel different when Tsuruno (MIGHTIEST MAGICAL GIRL! /self proclaimed) and Felicia join the party. Sana is also a gentle bean. As for the Magius, I won't go in-depth with those since it's spoiler-related, but there's a handful of nice characters there too. The game does start out a bit slow but it does amp up. Good to see you sticking with it for a bit. I hope it
Hope it...?
Loud, brash, and obnoxious characters are the types I usually have very little patience for in a cast like this, so good luck. And I read up on the story a while back before the game was announced for NA, since I was wondering what it was all about, so I know the general idea of the plot beats coming up, which might be dampening my enthusiasm a bit.
The game's also just a whole lot less flashy than something like FGO, which, while it does speed up battling, also makes it feel more boring and a bit less creative. The nature of the battle mechanics and being able to switch targets mid-chain does factor into it, but seeing the exact same animation three times in a row for an Accel chain is kinda...

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
They are really going all out for this...

There's also going to be additional rewards, including a 5* voucher, for reaching one million pre-registrations for the three new servers:

goal_other01.96472d7c.png
goal_other02.e5a6cd55.png

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Mitama Ticket is now available in Magia Record.

I'm only one slot away from a four-slot Ren, but I'll probably wait to see how the free weekend multi-pulls treat me first. The ticket is valid until the beginning of April so there's no a hurry to use it, though I'm not sure how much my patience will hold...

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Randomly looking at preoders I have, the Black Clover game is due out this month. Are there any impresisons on it? I like the series well enough that I'll give it a go

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Did World of Flipper rebounce in Japan after that scandal with the nerfed wind unit/weapon happened a couple of weeks ago ?

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Here I am still waiting for Bushiroad to actually open Pre-registration for Symphogear. Its pretty weird how they're so silent on this game.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Are we even sure we'll be able to reroll in arknights? Since that was a problem in CBT with guest accounts having some data not being cleared

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I thought re-rolling wasnt really worth it in Arknights?

A lot of people already have their favorites they feel like they must have like Exusiai, Siege, or Silverash.
They could also just want to have an easier time in the early-midgame for which Exusiai is probably best, while Silverash gets utterly ridiculous with Elite 2, which is more of an endgame investment.

People have started with Angelina, arguably the worst metagame pick, for waifu reasons, and were still fine going through the game, like this guy, so it shouldn't be that much of a concern.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It actually is, but we always get those people in every new mobages who always try to say otherwise for some reason.
It's like they got a phobia for rerolls.

I'd seen it compared to GFL a lot where it was entirely pointless to reroll. Hence the question. Is there a re-roll guide floating around? Never let it be said I was afraid to waste my time for a marginal advantage!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
It actually is, but we always get those people in every new mobages who always try to say otherwise for some reason.
It's like they got a phobia for rerolls.
Because there are people who if you say "you better reroll" to they'll sit there for 18 hours rerolling and burning out on the game before even knowing if they'll like it.

IceBringer

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thanks. Do most games do the same day worldwide release now? I remember waiting forever for some games haha

Black Thunder

Nov 1, 2017
Did World of Flipper rebounce in Japan after that scandal with the nerfed wind unit/weapon happened a couple of weeks ago ?
Still a daily game for me, and I am always inundated with notifications to join multiplayer quests. I'm in Japan though, so maybe timezone is a factor?

Also they just put out a notice outlining some future plans (increase amount of Mana you can get from dailies, higher difficulty boss battles, more story events in the works, etc).

I haven't delved into the community or social media to see what players think, but it's not charting very high on Google Play. So I would guess they are going to keep trying to make amends with QoL fixes and stuff. Really hope they get a fun collab event soon to garner interest.

Oct 25, 2017
has ark knight lived up to the hype?

How autobattle friendly is it for folks that... just are awful at tower defence games lol. It's the azur lane folks right? Been mostly autobattling that game too cuz I'm lazy.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
There's an autobattle, but you need to have completed the map already. And while Yostar is publishing outside of China, the developers are not them.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got all 5 original Puella Magi, Kyouko was my last holdout. That free 4 star ticket is nice.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I picked Alina Gray with my ticket. Short on CC to awaken her. Whelp, rip haha. Within the last week I gotten Miki Sayaka, Yakumo Mitama and finally Alina. Yakumo is super underwhelming with her connect and magia doing no damage. I expected her to be stronger since she is the coordinator, but I guess not. So many magical girls to raise and not enough money or mats to raise them all.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
What's the big deal with all the anticipation towards Arknights? Because it's a somewhat unusual genre for a gacha game (tower defense) and has ridiculously high production values, really detailed art, and a more "mature" setting/story?
Mitama Ticket is now available in Magia Record.
I'm still playing, though I'm not sure what I'm really playing towards, but I think I'll also keep that ticket in my pocket and see how much I can stretch what I get from the weekend summons.
For now I've just been going by the Gamepress single-player tier guides for which characters to focus on leveling. Feel like Charge is basically about as useless of a meta outside extremely specific situations as Quick was in the early days of FGO.

Also, I'd still like to know what you were going to say here:
Good to see you sticking with it for a bit. I hope it

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'd still like to know what you were going to say here:
It was a typo, I had another sentence in mind to type out, went back to revise what I had typed, and missed a sentence string. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it to me just now. :/

I'm keeping my ticket as well (must be sure to use it before it expires, though), since you never know what you'll get with the free pulls (though additional slots is never a bad thing, unless you're already at four for that particular Magical Girl). Patience is always wise, especially when it's something like a free 4* of your choosing.

And yeah, Charge is in a really bad place and I'm not sure it will ever become useful (like Quick did in FGO), but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping my ticket as well (must be sure to use it before it expires, though), since you never know what you'll get with the free pulls (though additional slots is never a bad thing, unless you're already at four for that particular Magical Girl). Patience is always wise, especially when it's something like a free 4* of your choosing.

And yeah, Charge is in a really bad place and I'm not sure it will ever become useful (like Quick did in FGO), but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong.
On the topic of memoria slots, I'm still counting all the small ways this game is kind-of-but-not-exactly-like FGO and the Magia-Connect-Memoria system is part of it compared to the interplay between NP-Skills-CEs in FGO, and how you unlock/upgrade them between the two games. Needing ten extra copies of a 2* character just to unlock one skill slot sounds insane at first, but considering how you can freely mix and match memoria on anybody without rarity limit to create some incredibly broken combinations, it's a bit more understandable why they tie extra memoria slots to dupes from the gacha.

To be fair, FGO's critical/star system makes it hard to compare Quick to Charge. Quick's problem early on in FGO was that most early servants had garbage quick card hit counts combined with (for non-Assassin class) low stargen rates -- concepts that don't exist in Magireco -- and were the weakest cards in attack strength as well, so there was little reason to use them for most servants. Eventually they started improving the numbers and we got servants like Okita, Jack, and MHX whose stats let them use Quick cards much more effectively to get starts or gain NP from crits.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of memoria slots, I'm still counting all the small ways this game is kind-of-but-not-exactly-like FGO and the Magia-Connect-Memoria system is part of it compared to the interplay between NP-Skills-CEs in FGO, and how you unlock/upgrade them between the two games. Needing ten extra copies of a 2* character just to unlock one skill slot sounds insane at first, but considering how you can freely mix and match memoria on anybody without rarity limit to create some incredibly broken combinations, it's a bit more understandable why they tie extra memoria slots to dupes from the gacha.

To be fair, FGO's critical/star system makes it hard to compare Quick to Charge. Quick's problem early on in FGO was that most early servants had garbage quick card hit counts combined with (for non-Assassin class) low stargen rates -- concepts that don't exist in Magireco -- and were the weakest cards in attack strength as well, so there was little reason to use them for most servants. Eventually they started improving the numbers and we got servants like Okita, Jack, and MHX whose stats let them use Quick cards much more effectively to get starts or gain NP from crits.
2/3* Memoria slots aren't too bad, since you can use the Magia Chips (and Destiny Bottles from events) to unlock them, and getting 2/3* from gacha pulls isn't too difficult. It's the unlocking of the 4* characters where the real pain comes in, but at least this game has a pity system for a guaranteed Magical Girl at 100 pulls, even though the banner character is only at a 60% chance. It's still better than what FGO offers (i.e., no guarantee at all).

The issue with Charge is that there's no real reason to use those discs. Sure, in theory they "power up" the discs that follow, but most of the time you're just better off with a triple Blast/Accel chain, rather than use Charge beforehand. I only really use Charge as a middle disc if I can't three chain Blast/Accel, so B/C/B, A/C/B, A/C/A, etc.

It definitely needs a fix. Hopefully they manage to find some way to make it more desirable in the future.