• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The way the whole thing is laid out is really dumb. The Advanced XP fight is all Fire and Dark with a high HP Fire boss. The Advanced Episode fight is all Water and Light... but still with a super high HP Fire boss. Also apparently we only have half the time for the event as JP did?
And the fact that Auto is so bad is really putting me off. At least if they had an option to disable ALL animations and not just one for Magia, it would go a lot faster. Such a weird design choice to let players toggle just the one thing but still have Connect animations dragging things out, enemies that take longer for a single attack animation than an entire chain from certain characters...
Yeah, the enemy typing are a little weird for sure, you'd think they would be centered around whatever the event girl is. As for the pacing, it's indeed fast, so you probably won't be able to clear the shop (or anywhere close to it), as NA is going at a rapid pace to )presumably) catch up with Japan. Just aim for the important stuff first and don't stress things too much.

I'd love more Auto AI configurations too, I can only hope they add some more options in the future to make things a little more streamlined. Honestly, even if they gave us a 3x/4x speed option, even that would helps things a bit. It's still more than what most gacha games offer (some don't even have Auto), so I'm thankful for the little we have here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the event list for Magia Record for Japan to try to gauge how far it'll be until NA gets Ultimate Madoka (near impossible to do, given our pace), but there's really not a lot left to cover, assuming things aren't altered completely. We have Chapter 8 in the main story, which was released in two separate updates, one with Episode 1-33 and the other with Episodes 34-64, and then Ultimate Madoka was shortly afterwards leading into Chapter 9. Aside from that we have the Mifuyu, Kanagi, and Summer Homura/Iroha (which they may or may not hold back for summer itself). This isn't factoring in the potential re-runs NA might surprise us with.

Again though, it's kind of impossible to predict as NA's schedule have had numerous things shifted around. Maybe they're going to try to sync up Ultimate Madoka's release for the finale of the first cour of the anime? That'd be another 9-10 weeks or so, which could fit (it took them a month to release the entirety of Chapter 8 in Japan), as she was used as a build-up to Chapter 9 in the main story and wasn't released right after Chapter 8 ended.

Regardless, I really don't know how they'll hold her back until the middle of August for NA's first anniversary, that's too far away. Something has to change, as we'll be well past Chapter 10 by that point.

(Sorry if the MR talk in here is bothering anyone, but I'm not sure the ERA playerbase is large enough to warrant an OT of its own. :/)

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Do they start drastically cutting down on the number of fights in each episode because if not that is a LOT to slog through.
I haven't looked into it due to fear of spoilers, but it'll probably be a lot of smaller episodes with story and then one battle each (with the standard three waves per).

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I did not realize how much I missed playing TD games, been having a blast with Arknights. Definitely benching E7 to just daily logging and dedicating that free time to Arknights.

I'll probably also give 7DS a gander when that releases.

(Sorry if the MR talk in here is bothering anyone, but I'm not sure the ERA playerbase is large enough to warrant an OT of its own. :/)

I think it's all good, this thread is probably the best place for any wayward gachas.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The next Seven Deadly Sins update in the JP server is adding a costume upgrade system, so costumes of lower rarity can be upgraded to UR (the highest rarity), which should alleviate some of the concerns regarding thie costume system. It definitely does show that they don't plan on making them extremely p2w.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
MagiReco's pacing is completely shot from the perspective of a new player. Since the first week of the year there's been an update to add something what feels like almost every other day. Now they've got this event going from 1/21 to 1/29, but they've also already announced a half-AP story campaign from 1/24 to 2/3, and the way things are going so far I bet there's another event that'll start on the 30th too. Utter nonsense with no time for anything to breathe.
At this point I think I'm just going to play super casually, farming an event if one is up and picking away at the story otherwise, buying whatever materials are necessary to level just one strongest character of each element up to max, taking advantage of the free weekend rolls and saving all gems/tickets for whenever this Ultimate Madoka banner shows up. If I can't get her on that, then I'll just drop the whole thing and enjoy the anime (if it hasn't finished by then).

Edit: Also having to play five mirrors matches every day just to get rewards sucks. If you don't have a whale team then you need to either just keep refreshing until you get lucky and find a matchup in your favor, or just lost on purpose and miss out on extra mirror coins (and give somebody else some free ones).

Last edited:

xtien

Apr 21, 2019
Not sure if this has been posted, but the global version of Dragon Quest of the Stars is slated to release on 2/25: https://www.dragonquest.com/ofthestars/

Somewhat reminiscent of a simpler, DQ version of Dissidia Opera Omnia, with an equipment-based gacha and events offering real-time co-op missions. Rather than a steady stream of new characters released, you customize your existing 3 characters from class down to aesthetics.

I played the JP version for a while a couple years back, and as a huge fan of the series, found it to be surprisingly enjoyable as a casual f2p player. Seems to still chart fairly well in JP in spite of being an older game, and Dragon Quest Walk taking over as the top DQ mobile game over there.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
MagiReco's pacing is completely shot from the perspective of a new player. Since the first week of the year there's been an update to add something what feels like almost every other day. Now they've got this event going from 1/21 to 1/29, but they've also already announced a half-AP story campaign from 1/24 to 2/3, and the way things are going so far I bet there's another event that'll start on the 30th too. Utter nonsense with no time for anything to breathe.
At this point I think I'm just going to play super casually, farming an event if one is up and picking away at the story otherwise, buying whatever materials are necessary to level just one strongest character of each element up to max, taking advantage of the free weekend rolls and saving all gems/tickets for whenever this Ultimate Madoka banner shows up. If I can't get her on that, then I'll just drop the whole thing and enjoy the anime (if it hasn't finished by then).

Edit: Also having to play five mirrors matches every day just to get rewards sucks. If you don't have a whale team then you need to either just keep refreshing until you get lucky and find a matchup in your favor, or just lost on purpose and miss out on extra mirror coins (and give somebody else some free ones).
Yeah, just dial things back a bit otherwise everything will be too overwhelming for you. Run all of the event quests once for the rewards, grab the exclusive items that you can only purchase via the event through the shop along with any materials you desperately need, and then just go back to the main story, relax, and enjoy yourself. The pace shouldn't keep up as it is for much longer, at least until we catch up to Japan which will probably happen in the later half of this year. Things should be a lot more manageable then, just try not to burn yourself out too much.

Not sure if this has been posted, but the global version of Dragon Quest of the Stars is slated to release on 2/25: https://www.dragonquest.com/ofthestars/

Somewhat reminiscent of a simpler, DQ version of Dissidia Opera Omnia, with an equipment-based gacha and events offering real-time co-op missions. Rather than a steady stream of new characters released, you customize your existing 3 characters from class down to aesthetics.

I played the JP version for a while a couple years back, and as a huge fan of the series, found it to be surprisingly enjoyable as a casual f2p player. Seems to still chart fairly well in JP in spite of being an older game, and Dragon Quest Walk taking over as the top DQ mobile game over there.
I have a feeling this game will have an even shorter life than Star Ocean Anemnesis did. I don't even know why SE is bothering to bring such an old game Globally, but best of luck to them I suppose.

Edit:

It looks like Smilegate might be worried about SDS launching in the next short while. They're finally pushed to making some changes in E7. We'll see if it's too little too late, but honestly I have to remind myself to even log in each day now.

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Those dev notes still don't address the fact that E7 has zero end game content outside of PVP, and that's a mess.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah these are some cute changes, but that's nothing compared to the amount of issues E7 currently has.

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I uninstalled. I haven't done anything outside of summoning and logging out in almost two weeks. The dev notes today made it crystal clear the game isn't for me. I kinda wanted to see the story through, but I just can't be assed. Maybe I'll play some real games. loljk

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Just gonna rant a bit about pets since that was the last time I had any expectations for E7. Over an entire year of development and E7 still manages to have one of the worst implementations of auto-repeat I've ever seen. They finally get rid of pet snacks literally 2 months later, but cap the auto amount to the generation of the pet (4th generation pets have a maximum of 20 auto-repeats...), and they want to require a higher account level to use pets "Since the Repeat Battle function may deter early-stage Heirs who have recently started the game from becoming immersed in the gameplay." Being able to look away when auto-ing easy content with chests is just too high a luxury for a new player, who should just stare at the screen at all times to not miss loot. And instead of outright getting rid of the enhance failure chance, they're making it so you now have the privilege of sacrificing more pets to guarantee the upgrade doesn't fail.

E7's handling of "QoL" updates is such a joke that it's legitimately hilarious to me these days.

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
E7's handling of "QoL" updates is such a joke that it's legitimately hilarious to me these days.

Are you whaling on leaf packs to the extent that being able to dump 400/600 energy with the press of a button is lolz?

The game has severe stamina issues, capping auto repeat at 400 energy for hunts and 600 energy for side story per button press isn't horrible.

And that's not taking into account running out of inventory space and having to switch characters/fodder around while leveling as well.

If you're leveling fodder in an optimal way you're not exceeding 20 runs before having to switch characters regardless, you're looking at 4-6 runs in hard more sidestory runs before having to either switch or promote if you're starting with level 1/5 fodder.

3 man + leveling character in hunts probably requires more but when one of the most popular gatcha games in existance has zero automation period.... please miss me with the "this sucks because i have to press a button thrice" to level up a brand new banner characer to level 50 in Hunt 11

As someone who has been F2P in E7 for over 6 months, who has an extremely strong character roster (all new banner characters, 7-8 ml nat 5s while f2p) which is held back by lack of good gear due to not being able to whale on energy/stamina.... seeing complaints of "only 400/600 energy" per button press just makes me smh.

If you're dropping $1000-1500 a month on energy and want to laeve your phone on 24/7 to farm gear, yeah this sucks, but still way better than before.

Last edited:

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Are you whaling on leaf packs to the extent that being able to dump 400/600 energy with the press of a button is lolz?

The game has severe stamina issues, capping auto repeat at 400 energy for hunts and 600 energy for side story per button press isn't horrible.

And that's not taking into account running out of inventory space and having to switch characters/fodder around while leveling as well.

If you're leveling fodder in an optimal way you're not exceeding 20 runs before having to switch characters regardless, you're looking at 4-6 runs in hard more sidestory runs before having to either switch or promote if you're starting with level 1/5 fodder.

3 man + leveling character in hunts probably requires more but when one of the most popular gatcha games in existance has zero automation period.... please miss me with the "this sucks because i have to press a button thrice" to level up a brand new banner characer to level 50 in Hunt 11

Literally last buff event I had over 2K overflowed stamina because most days I just do dailies and call it a day, stockpiling stamina to burn on buff events. I used up all hundred snacks I piled up running hunt 11, just running it without swapping because I don't care enough about the game to min-max. Not everyone is as hardcore as you.

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
Literally last buff event I had over 2K overflowed stamina because most days I just do dailies and call it a day, stockpiling stamina to burn on buff events. I used up all hundred snacks I piled up running hunt 11, just running it without swapping because I don't care enough about the game to min-max. Not everyone is as hardcore as you.

I'm "hardcore" and yet I'm the one arguing the being capped at 20 runs per button press is reasonable lol.

I mean what number do we stop at? Why doesn't Dragalia Lost let me farm Volcanic Chimera 300 times in a row, why do I have to setup auto repeat 3 times if I want to do that? If I want to drain all my AP bar and all my refills in one button press why can't I?

I dunno, I just find this discussion funny as shit after having to farm the shit out of the lotto event in FGO for the last week and a bit.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I just find this discussion funny as shit after having to farm the shit out of the lotto event in FGO for the last week and a bit.

FGO having absolutely garbage QOL is not an argument in favour of E7. "It's better than the worst!" is a pointlessly low bar. They shouldn't bother with limits at all. It was stupid having the tickets in the first place, removing them is a good step, but like always SG cant fully commit so they got rid of the tickets but put a largely pointless limit in place.

xtien

Apr 21, 2019
I have a feeling this game will have an even shorter life than Star Ocean Anemnesis did. I don't even know why SE is bothering to bring such an old game Globally, but best of luck to them I suppose.

Edit:

It looks like Smilegate might be worried about SDS launching in the next short while. They're finally pushed to making some changes in E7. We'll see if it's too little too late, but honestly I have to remind myself to even log in each day now.

Yeah, it's a 4-year old game for a series with a relatively limited following outside of Japan... not exactly promising. This seems like a half-hearted attempt to capitalize on the release of DQ:XI S, though even that was back in Q3 2019, so it seems they've missed the window there. I plan on diving in regardless, but the writing's on the wall here so I'd stay strictly f2p.

Like many here, I've lost all interest in E7. Can't bring myself to delete it yet since my account has more than it's fair share of nat ML 5*s, but the game just doesn't offer enough to keep me interested anymore.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The current Mami banner in Magia Record has no spooks, apparently. If you pull a 4* Magical Girl it's guaranteed to be her, including the pity for 100 pulls. It's tempting as I only have her at one-slot, but I'll try to resist...

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have Mami at 4 slots so no way I'm pulling on her banner. She kept spooking me on Darc's banner. I also have the Premium Fate Weave at 90/100 pulls, so I'm waiting on that for someone good.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I could really use her at two-slots, since I don't have Alina either, but I'm so desperate to hoard my currency for limited girls.

I am so glad I didn't use my choose-ticket yet, since I was leaning towards four-slotting Ren and just now got her from the free weekend ten-pull. I was at around 55 or so on the pity break so didn't expect to get one before I hit 100, so it comes as a nice surprise. I'm now considering maybe grabbing Sayaka just so I can have all of the original cast (aside from Cool Homura who isn't available yet) or maybe a second slot for Madoka. I could grab the second slot for Mami that way, but it seems like a waste when I could just as easily spend 100 tickets for that guarantee.

I'll wait and see how the rest of the free pulls treat me. I must say, it's a pretty generous campaign. If they keep this up for both cour of the anime, you're looking at 520 pulls all total, which is a guaranteed five 4* Magical Girls (if you reach the full 100 pity each time). That's pretty cool.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I was 90/100 for the premium fate weave and was like, hey, there is a free ten roll on that banner. I wonder what magical girl I'll get?

Screenshot_20200125-005913_Magia_Record.jpg

Screenshot_20200125-005922_Magia_Record.jpg

Her banner is still up lol. Ok, I guess I can raise another dark unit.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's awesome. I didn't even know current banner girls were added to the Premium Weave yet. Congrats!

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Mirrors is incredibly stupid and the fact that you need to play five matches of it per day is four times too many. There's no point to even trying to win any matches unless you have at least three 5* characters, unless the random non-existent matchmaking throws a dead, underleveled account at you.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so good in the beginning, but once you unlock the slots on a lot of the lower rarity girls and get them leveled (Yachiyo, Tsuruno, Kaede, Kako, etc.), it's not too bad. Obviously 5* girls help a lot, but with the free pulls we're getting you should hopefully have a nice team before long. Until then, if it's not worth the headache for you, just shove a 1* level one in there and get your five easy losses done in a minute or so, grab your daily rewards, and call it a day.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I bet there's another event that'll start on the 30th too.
Called it.

Why are they even doing the half-AP story thing if they're just going to have events going the entire time? And the new event seems similar to FGO's Setsubun in concept in that it heavily favors long-time players, though different in mechanics.

I have no idea what they're trying to do except catch up to JP as quickly as possible, playability be damned.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Quite the cross-promotion; collab with DL to wean folks into MH gacha, while DL let's folks transform into/play as Rathalos and Fatalis.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Called it.

Why are they even doing the half-AP story thing if they're just going to have events going the entire time? And the new event seems similar to FGO's Setsubun in concept in that it heavily favors long-time players, though different in mechanics.

I have no idea what they're trying to do except catch up to JP as quickly as possible, playability be damned.
If the pace is bothering you, it might be better for you to just drop the game. It's been like this since the NA server launched, and it's clear they're not going to change things now, unfortunately. At least not until we're caught up with Japan and they no longer need to rush things, which will probably happen near the end of this year.

They've done a few things to offset the pace a bit (namely add AP Potions to our daily rewards, as well as lower the cost of event shop purchases a bit), but that doesn't exactly help people who don't have a lot of time (or will) to keep playing events that are back-to-back with no break in-between. The only time that I can think we got a semi-break was for the first Mirrors Ranking, where you had a certain number of Mirrors matches to play each day and then that was it. Your AP could be spent (or not spent) elsewhere. We should be getting another one of those soon.

My greatest fear when it comes to Magia Record is player burnout. I love the game and want to see it do well, I just hope players can stick with it until manages to sync up with Japan. Auto Battle definitely helps with the event grind in MR, though. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
If the pace is bothering you, it might be better for you to just drop the game. It's been like this since the NA server launched, and it's clear they're not going to change things now, unfortunately. At least not until we're caught up with Japan and they no longer need to rush things, which will probably happen near the end of this year.

They've done a few things to offset the pace a bit (namely add AP Potions to our daily rewards, as well as lower the cost of event shop purchases a bit), but that doesn't exactly help people who don't have a lot of time (or will) to keep playing events that are back-to-back with no break in-between. The only time that I can think we got a semi-break was for the first Mirrors Ranking, where you had a certain number of Mirrors matches to play each day and then that was it. Your AP could be spent (or not spent) elsewhere. We should be getting another one of those soon.

My greatest fear when it comes to Magia Record is player burnout. I love the game and want to see it do well, I just hope players can stick with it until manages to sync up with Japan. Auto Battle definitely helps with the event grind in MR, though. I don't know what I'd do without it.
Yeah, I probably will. The anime looks like it's going to be the best way for me to experience the story, and I never had as much interest in an expanded Madoka franchise of original characters compared to the way Fate handles things.
I think that the current pacing is at least a bit more manageable (or at least less daunting) for veteran players who are past the "level/awaken everybody" phase.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
They're ramping up the ads and tweeting so it must be close.

There is one thing I dislike though that they introduced with the newest update in JP, they split the base banners into two, one for season 1 and other for season 2, and the guaranteed SSR tickets you got every week from the login bonuses are now only for the S1 banner, so you can't pull the recent units from it anymore. They're still gonna give S2 SSR tickets from events and I guess those will be better because you'll be guaranteed to pull the newest units that way, but it's still an awful way to nerf the daily logins.

Besides that the rest of the updates are amazing, the costume upgrade system basically negates the p2w concern regarding them and they added a way to reroll gear so you can set what substats you want and at what minimum % and let the game automatically reroll it until it gets what you want.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Magia Record are bringing back all of the previous limited characters for those just joining the game (aside from Fate/Nanoha, who were collaboration characters).

I'm tempted to go for Darc/Liz but will continue saving for the Goddess.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Magia Record are bringing back all of the previous limited characters for those just joining the game (aside from Fate/Nanoha, who were collaboration characters).

I'm tempted to go for Darc/Liz but will continue saving for the Goddess.
Interesting. Don't think JP did this. This kinda sounds like bait banners. I'll still continue to save too.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't tempt me like this aaahhh

I have to stay strong for my all-in f2p on the godoka banner.
They know what they're doing, that's for sure. Maybe they're planning on releasing Ultimate Madoka to coincide with the finale of S1 of the anime. Either way, I can't see it being that much longer considering she was released between Chapters 8 and 9 in Japan and Chapter 8 for NA will be finished int the first part of February. She's definitely close, remain strong!

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Actually this is perfect for me since if I'm not going to play after the anime ends and thus don't care about Ultimate Madoka anymore, I just saved up enough gems for a guaranteed 4* if I drop them all into one banner. Now I can just spend everything on the Darc banner and pray RNG doesn't screw me over in an attempt to say I was able to get Jeanne d'Arc in three separate gacha games (this, Dragalia, and FGO). Lets me get it out of the way sooner.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I love the free weekend draws in MR. I got a couple 4* Memoria yesterday and now today I got Mel (3*) and Mifuyu (4*). Can't say no to free rolls like this, and the campaign is still going to last for several more weeks (and even longer, if they opt to continue it for the second cour of the anime).