• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
We finally got an updated numbers for the Famitsu whitepaper that covers this.

To note, "online platform" includes browser games on top of mobile games, but uh, that's a very small portion of the industry these days.

mobilefamitsu4adn2.png

Source: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2018/ssh_ar18e_web.pdf

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be worse for console. Since the PS3 when Japan basically started to buy only handheld systems and third parties didn't follow their domestic consumers, there was no chance the consoles could stay healthy against the mobile juggernaut, that was going to eat most of the market anyway.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It does look like a very mature market in all three instances if the projected revenue isn't expected to grow much - I think mobile spend might be near its peak and it'd be interesting to see if additional revenue flows back to the other areas or if they'll just stay stagnant at that size.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It does look like a very mature market in all three instances if the projected revenue isn't expected to grow much - I think mobile spend might be near its peak and it'd be interesting to see if additional revenue flows back to the other areas or if they'll just stay stagnant at that size.
I think they're hitting a population wall.

For example, Japanese mobile revenue is higher than US mobile revenue, despite the US having 2.5-3 times the population.