• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

c-murph

Oct 26, 2017
Where/How can I buy and download these songs? Is there a preferred method to obtain Japanese music digitally? I'd like to load up my ipod / phone to take them to the gym this week and give them a listen.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Modern Paramore or old emo/pop-punk Paramore?

ONE OK ROCK are the closest thing to the latter (and all the western bands from that scene)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRLLWNIqb8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSRqWpWPzE
But if you want something that sounds like Paramore's latest album I'm not sure someone in Japan is doing the same thing for now...
Maybe FIVE NEW OLD? Not sure they're that similar but that's the closest thing I could think of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emC_eT3b4sU
I'll look into them later, thanks!

well that's an A-Grade mindfuck.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Where/How can I buy and download these songs? Is there a preferred method to obtain Japanese music digitally? I'd like to load up my ipod / phone to take them to the gym this week and give them a listen.
If you're lucky enough you can find stuff on your local iTunes Store/Apple Music/Spotify.
Tbh the best way is just getting a subscription to the Japanese Apple Music, but you've got to jump through some hoops

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
DNYCYu5VwAE2nc6.jpg

MESYARIA

Oct 28, 2017
TINDHARIA
At last, a place on the internet for me to hoot and holler about Haruka Shimotsuki and obscure doujin circles.

Can't right now, but I'll listen through the stuff everyone's linked so far and maybe post some thoughts later. Might find some new favorites!

Hey people. I was wondering if any of you pay attention/listen to the utaite community? If so let me just say I've grown fond of alfakyun. over the past month, love feminine deep voices.

I've only recently started poking into the whole utaite phenomenon, but Alfakyun is cool. I like her cover of Mousou Zei. Check out Luschka if you haven't.

She has some great original stuff too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWxTrD4L7iY

Cocolu is also probably up your alley. Here's her Senbonzakura:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEcSXs4aEU

Anyone knows a couple groups similar to Asriel or Yousei Teikoku?

Try AYUTRICA/Eclipseed (same composer and vocalist in both) and Ariabl'eyeS. They're not as heavy as Yousei Teikoku but they've got a similar symphonic/gothic style to Asriel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioedY0NhWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nle3gTI6wd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYvBamwhgA

You might also want to look up Denkare if you haven't heard of them before. They might as well be Yousei Teikoku, Yui is the lead singer. Unconfirmed, but it's obviously her - a lot of their music was apparently composed for some real unsavory H-games which might be why she doesn't want her name on it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey there!

Got any love for Janne Da Arc?

Also, not so fan of the idol stuff, but I love Judy and Mary and this Sakura Gakuin cover is pretty rad:

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I found some new good songs to listen to in this thread :)

Can anyone recommend other bands, or even specific songs that sound similar to music from Wagakki Band?

I've listened to this one maybe 25 times already, though I know it's not their full band. I like at least all their songs where they've done music videos.

Thank you!

I have no idea what this is, but its glorious. It somehow makes me think of Demetori, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Anyone knows a couple groups similar to Asriel or Yousei Teikoku?

It made me think of a popular Touhou metal band that we ran into last holiday. I don't remember their name though. I mainly remember their CDs were ridiculously cheap. But let me give you Ancient Myth instead (a class better than that band I cannot remember).

At last, a place on the internet for me to hoot and holler about Haruka Shimotsuki and obscure doujin circles.

<obscure doujin video>

Yay for obscure doujin cycles :)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what you're looking for. Some stuff you can find via your local streaming service like Spotify. You can take the route Kurita suggested, which is to sign up for Japanese iTunes. If that doesn't appeal to you, I think I've heard of people having luck with buying MP3s through the Amazon.co.jp digital store, though you'll need to buy gift card credit I think.

My personal go-to is Ototoy, which is a great place to buy FLACs/ALACs/MP3s. There are no national restrictions as far as I know, so you can use your normal credit card/billing address/etc. The trouble with Ototoy is 1) it's mostly in Japanese, so it's a little difficult to navigate, and 2) the selection isn't that wide, especially when it comes to major labels. I've heard mora.jp is better for major labels but have never bought from them personally.

Depending on how indie the bands/artists you seek are, they may have a netlabel presence (think Maltine Records and the like) or be on Bandcamp, aka god's gift to music lovers. There aren't a lot of Japanese artists on Bandcamp, sadly, and the ones that are there occasionally have weird policies (tricot, for example, ONLY sells physical merch there).

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm not too familiar with Japanese punk but I really love Shonen Knife. Any recommendations for similar stuff I should check out?

MESYARIA

Oct 28, 2017
TINDHARIA
Yay for obscure doujin cycles :)

That first video was the aforementioned Haruka Shimotsuki, who is not particularly obscure nowadays but is very good. I highly recommend Tindharia no Tane and Griotte no Nemurihime, the fantasy concept albums she did with Noriyuki Iwadare (composer for the Grandia series among other things). You might be able to find those on iTunes depending on where you live.

A newer (and thus not very well-known) circle going for a similar folk/fantasy style is 13endCard:

If you like that track, I can definitely recommend picking up Sound of Sugar, it's available digitally and cheap:
https://13endcard.booth.pm/items/60386
Sadly the rest of their stuff is not. Very few circles have bandcamps or booth.pm stores that sell digital music, because I suppose it would go against the doujin "indie" ethos.

Another young-ish circle is ali-color, the vocalist has a great soprano voice and pretty convincing french and german pronunciation. The lyrics have a bunch of (purposefully) fake words in them but it sounds right, which is impressive in itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee617CSF_yw
https://soundcloud.com/alico-315315376/schwur

Last edited:

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Try AYUTRICA/Eclipseed (same composer and vocalist in both) and Ariabl'eyeS. They're not as heavy as Yousei Teikoku but they've got a similar symphonic/gothic style to Asriel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioedY0NhWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nle3gTI6wd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYvBamwhgA

You might also want to look up Denkare if you haven't heard of them before. They might as well be Yousei Teikoku, Yui is the lead singer. Unconfirmed, but it's obviously her - a lot of their music was apparently composed for some real unsavory H-games which might be why she doesn't want her name on it.

These are great, thanks. I know about Denkare and their relationship to some insane H-games, heh. And yeah, it is pretty obviously her, she even covered Vampire with Yousei Teikoku.

It made me think of a popular Touhou metal band that we ran into last holiday. I don't remember their name though. I mainly remember their CDs were ridiculously cheap. But let me give you Ancient Myth instead (a class better than that band I cannot remember).

This is great too, thanks a lot you two.

And since I'm here, might as well post a couple more songs

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
The new BiSH album will have 11 new songs as well as GiANT KiLLERS and Promise the Star, the DVD/blu-ray will include the YOYOGi GiANT KiLLERS and TBS3 shows.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
The new BiSH album will have 11 new songs as well as GiANT KiLLERS and Promise the Star, the DVD/blu-ray will include the YOYOGi GiANT KiLLERS and TBS3 shows.

a bit suprised GiANT KiLLERS will be on the new album since it was part of a mini album and not a single, but that's idol releases I guess.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are great, thanks. I know about Denkare and their relationship to some insane H-games, heh. And yeah, it is pretty obviously her, she even covered Vampire with Yousei Teikoku.

This is great too, thanks a lot you two.

And since I'm here, might as well post a couple more songs

Love Utsu-P, one of my favorite vocaloid/metal artists.

My favorite however would have to be Calvi Taro/Okame-P/il cremonese

Also, what does everyone think of the new Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas album?

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nobody's posted Nakajima Miyuki's Jidai(時代、中島みゆき), erah?

Well, I couldn't find it on youtube ;p I'm posting the one covered by someone.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit a good DAOKO song. Well, it's quite different from her other stuff, but still, it's good!

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
The new Daoko song is actually good! Well, her last single wasn't that bad but this is much better.

Translation of Jun Togawa's Ototoy interview.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
After my last trip to Japan I've been going more heavily into Japanese music, although I'm having some difficulties finding the right niche. I don't care too much for the sugary AKB48 type stuff, and there's a lot of rock/punk that I don't really care for either. My three favourite artists so far:

Sarah Alainn. She's multilingual but based in Japan. I first discovered her through "Beyond the Sky" in Xenosaga and have now recently bought her fifth album. She composes some of her own stuff and plays the violin, but mostly her albums are covers of powerful ballads. She's also on Itunes so it's easy to have a listen.

Oct 26, 2017
(cont'd)

Ikimono-gakari: I found their anniversary collection last year in Tokyo. After a sample of an earlier album, I bought their entire discography. As it turns out, they just had a breakup so I don't know if they'll be making any more. I like their classic, happy pop. Sometimes the big production style reminds me of ABBA. They're not on Itunes though so I've imported them all.

Oct 26, 2017
(fin)

Then there's Leo Ieiri, who I discovered by accident looking for another artist. Her music generally reminds me of 80's pop/rock like Roxette with a modern touch.

Oh, and a bonus as it turned up on Youtube:
Sambomaster: I only know of this song, intimately, after playing Ouendan 2. it's hilarious how the video is basically a Ouendan story. Maybe I should see what else they've done...

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Ikimono-gakari: I found their anniversary collection last year in Tokyo. After a sample of an earlier album, I bought their entire discography. As it turns out, they just had a breakup so I don't know if they'll be making any more.
They're just on hiatus. Seems like the men are still active, so it was probably more of a break for Kiyoe.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
Aina's having a small acoustic show next month, hopefully it gets recorded. Wonder if she'll play anything new, or just her old songs and BiSH stuff.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017

Good gesture but they didn't think that one through, they should've put it on Mega. I'm downloading it now, if it doesn't go back up I'll try and upload it but it's 22gb so it'll take a while with my upload speed.

Edit: Nevermind, my download just stopped, the limit is 20gb so I guess nobody can get it then.

Last edited:

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the kind of music video I expected for that song... LOL

LMAO, I love this. Only a week till their first major debut single. I am stoked, can't wait.

After my last trip to Japan I've been going more heavily into Japanese music, although I'm having some difficulties finding the right niche. I don't care too much for the sugary AKB48 type stuff, and there's a lot of rock/punk that I don't really care for either. My three favourite artists so far:

Sarah Alainn. She's multilingual but based in Japan. I first discovered her through "Beyond the Sky" in Xenosaga and have now recently bought her fifth album. She composes some of her own stuff and plays the violin, but mostly her albums are covers of powerful ballads. She's also on Itunes so it's easy to have a listen.

I discovered Sarah, with her Anima album. She probably has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Her instrumental pieces on her albums are beautiful as well.

Also, have folks seen Namie Amuro's three new PVs. Showtime was awesome, but I couldn't handle Finally. Just loving that song so much, the words are very touching.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
(fin)
Oh, and a bonus as it turned up on Youtube:
Sambomaster: I only know of this song, intimately, after playing Ouendan 2. it's hilarious how the video is basically a Ouendan story. Maybe I should see what else they've done...

I play 世界じゃそれを愛と呼ぶんだぜ every single time I go to karaoke

I should probably practice it at some point tho, even the random bullshit he shouts.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this. サレンダー sounds amazing. Also, I'm not hearing anything different in the album versions

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017

Tracklisting and cover art to the album releasing later this month.

afa144e6a79f8ba76b02e889f5e77c29_12e8b7bc67e1cbbdde9982da3a99b421.jpg

M1 イミナイウタ
作詞:松隈ケンタ×竜宮寺育 / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M2 GANG PARADE
作詞:GANG PARADE!!×松隈ケンタ×JxSxK / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M3 Are you kidding?
作詞:テラシマユウカ / 作曲:oki you-oh

M4 普通の日常
作詞:竜宮寺育 / 作曲:ユメノユア

M5 FOUL
作詞:GANG PARADE!! / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M6 I need you I love you I want you
作詞:テラシマユウカ / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M7 Plastic 2 Mercy
作詞:プラニメ / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M8 TIE
作詞:ユイ・ガ・ドクソン / 作曲:some
M9 Beyond the Mountain
作詞:GANG PARADE!! ×松隈ケンタ×JxSxK / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M10 CAR RADIO
作詞:松隈ケンタ×JxSxK / 作曲:松隈ケンタ

M4 普通の日常
作詞:竜宮寺育 / 作曲:ユメノユア

wait what. Seems like Yua is making track 4. That's a first!

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Right, so I might derail the thread a bit.
Most of the posts here are pretty poppy (no judgement), but I'm gonna go ahead and ask if you have any Japanese fusion jazz recommendations.

Something along these lines... I love me some Casiopea.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Right, so I might derail the thread a bit.
Most of the posts here are pretty poppy (no judgement), but I'm gonna go ahead and ask if you have any Japanese fusion jazz recommendations.

Something along these lines... I love me some Casiopea.

I posted a bunch of Jazz recommendations last page. I don't know much Jazz fusion, though.
Although you've seen a lot of pop, this community is into Japanese music ranging from Math Rock, Noise, Black Metal, and Avante Garde stuff. It's not a derail; you can ask about any genre.