• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
Wow haven't been following Keyakizaka46 for some months but this confirms that KanjiKeyaki is a god-tier idol group. All the members look so cool, they really stand out compared to the other groups' members with generic idol clothing and faces. And that Ambivalent costume is amazing, something an indie group like MBG would wear.

Also Neru and Risa have such strong, natural auras damn these girls have ascended.

Can always use more people talking about Keyaki o/
In other news, I'm bummed but sorta glad they took Hirate out if she's hurting again.
Don't want a repeat of last year at Kohaku.

But seriously, what's up with the staff and not being able to keep the members healthy. :(

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Can always use more people talking about Keyaki o/
In other news, I'm bummed but sorta glad they took Hirate out if she's hurting again.
Don't want a repeat of last year at Kohaku.

But seriously, what's up with the staff and not being able to keep the members healthy. :(
Given the timing of her injury I wouldn't be surprised if the 8th single has a new center (a 2nd gen?), unless they wait for her return to work on it.
Suzumoto is the center for today's Music Station performance of Ambivalent for what it's worth.

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
Given the timing of her injury I wouldn't be surprised if the 8th single has a new center (a 2nd gen?), unless they wait for her return to work on it.
Suzumoto is the center for today's Music Station performance of Ambivalent for what it's worth.
Caught a clip of it. Looked awesome.
Looks like Suzumon made the top page of Yahoo news as well as a result.

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, interesting. Habu got the center position for the CDTV show.
If this means they're rotating centers... I'm all for that!

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Habu always looks super cool!

hey look a new YMM song that I actually like, been a while since that happened

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Habu went from tall awkward nerd with a babyface, to super model/ikemen front member in three years.
oyY21fP.jpg
5RlECIP.jpg

2018 has been a great year for her, she's way more confident than before.
Still a nerd tho!
Also, Risa and Yuipon really grew on me this year. They were always two of the most popular members but I never really got it until recently.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
New Aimyon album on February 13th! She'll also do an acoustic show at the Budokan the following week.
All of her 2018 singles have been excellent.

How popular is Aimyon in Japan right now? I've been listening to her a lot over the past year and am curious. Is she a major player or still viewed as a bit indie?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
How popular is Aimyon in Japan right now? I've been listening to her a lot over the past year and am curious. Is she a major player or still viewed as a bit indie?
She's arguably the most popular young singer-songwriter right now, beloved by teens. 2018 has really been her breakout year, and it's just the beginning.

She'll be appearing at Kouhaku, the huge New Year's Eve music show.

-
Can't wait for this show to get a BD release. As expected live stereo future with a band set + orchestra makes this song even better than it was.
Chitti and Aina are so good :cryingemoji:

Hope an album is coming soon, I love every single single they've released this year.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

One of my most anticipated albums of January

-
Last minute announcement for Kouhaku : Yonezu Kenshi!
He will perform Lemon, live from Tokushima, the land of his grand father. Lemon is dedicated to him, who passed away when he was working on it.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished mine (has non Japanese stuff there as well):
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Kansoku/2018/

Overall pretty nice year. There were some disappointments, but at least I discovered a bunch of new stuff.

Random non-Japanese-music aside: that Melody's Echo Chamber album. MAGIC.

I feel like my list is even less essential than other years; don't feel like a lot grabbed me but also feel like I probably missed out on a bunch and haven't been as good about finding new Japanese artists. Here are some of my favourite selections of the year:

CRCK/LCKS - Double Rift
リリリップス (Lililips) - 目は口ほどに物を言うEP and and ちょっと工夫でこのうまさEP, which may as well be one whole album as far as I'm concerned
ものんくる (Mononkul) - RELOADING CITY
HALLCA - Apertif
iri - Juice
脇田もなり (Monari Wakita) - AHEAD!

There was nothing I heard this year that was outright bad, except maybe the Perfume album (and that's really just aggressively uninteresting to me rather than terrible, plus I'm starting to come around on some of the songs). There were, however, a lot of albums that felt like they should've made a bigger impression than they actually did. This includes the last two albums on my list, which is why I feel like I should've maybe listened to more stuff. The album I wanted to get into the most but just couldn't was the Haru Nemuri album--I think it's just too in my face, even though I recognize the album's quality. Easier to admire from a distance than to love for me.

Oh, also, Chelmico's "OK, Cheers!" makes me wonder why I ever liked them. Like, what the hell happened there.

Last edited:

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017

gang parade continue to be the most interesting wack group now that empire is boring matsukuma rock songs

Bachiin gets the composition credit on this which is certainly interesting

this isn't very good but at least it's marginally less bad than the last one

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Negoto are disbanding in July, that sucks since I've enjoyed their recent albums a whole lot.
But they had a good run of 10+ years and they're still young, so I look forward to any new projects.

-

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Negoto are disbanding in July, that sucks since I've enjoyed their recent albums a whole lot.
But they had a good run of 10+ years and they're still young, so I look forward to any new projects.

Damn this sucks. Last two albums were quite weak, even if I like SOAK. Shame, since everything up to VISION was really great. Hope they keep making music.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Kouhaku rehearsals today, Yuipon will be the center for Keyakizaka's performance of Glass wo Ware!, I guess it makes sense since she already did it earlier this year with Imaizumi.
Dunno if 2nd gen members will be here though, they weren't part of the roster for the group's performance at Countdown Japan yesterday.

STUTS is in charge of the show's opening song, and it looks like Hoshino Gen's performance will have some sort of session with him. Looking forward to that!

Also hyped for Yonezu Kenshi's. Should be quite emotional.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, shame about Negoto, but it did feel like they lost their way a bit at the end. The stretch from 5 to VISION is fantastic, and I keep meaning to go back for Ex Negoto.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Vocaloid producer Balloon is releasing his first EP under his real name + his voice next month. Never heard of him before but it sounds great.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds a lot like Yonezu Kenshi. Are there more vocaloid producers gone "solo" aside from him, Yonezu and wowaka/Hitorie?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Sounds a lot like Yonezu Kenshi. Are there more vocaloid producers gone "solo" aside from him, Yonezu and wowaka/Hitorie?
Not really an expert when it comes to vocaloid so I can only think of Sasanomaly (his vocaloid producer name was Nekoboro). Jin also did a song for the Ajikan tribute album but I don't think he ever released other non vocaloid stuff.

I guess other projects like Yorushika or Zutto Mayonaka de Ii no ni kinda counts? Though the dudes are just writing the songs, with someone else doing the vocals.

What's more common is people who used to do vocaloid covers before switching to original songs, like Majiko, Soraru, Mafumafu, Eve...

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Not really an expert when it comes to vocaloid so I can only think of Sasanomaly (his vocaloid producer name was Nekoboro). Jin also did a song for the Ajikan tribute album but I don't think he ever released other non vocaloid stuff.

I guess other projects like Yorushika or Zutto Mayonaka de Ii no ni kinda counts? Though the dudes are just writing the songs, with someone else doing the vocals.

What's more common is people who used to do vocaloid covers before switching to original songs, like Majiko, Soraru, Mafumafu, Eve...

Oh, didn't know sasanomaly was Nekoboro, I quite like the song he did for mikgazer vol.1
Also didn't know n-buna was behind Yorushika, makes sense. I even went to check if 美波 was the same case, I often see them mentioned together.
In ZuttoMayo's case tho, each song so far was produced by a different person, so I would put her with the Utaites.
And I wish Majiko stopped doing the covers, they're nice but nowhere near as good as CLOUD 7 was >.<

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

Now all songs from Seasick have a MV \o/
Get down and Sumile are must listens. Hopefully they release a full length in 2019.