• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
New Passepied: I'm not sure if the new direction is totally my thing (drums sound really muddy in particular) but man, their sound has needed a shakeup for a long time so I'm all for this.

I don't think I've ever recoiled this hard at one of your posts

This is how I feel about most Kurita posts (it's totally fine, we're just into different things) so I'm shocked that I kind of agree with him this time, lol

Their set will be streamed next weekend!

YOOOOOOOOOO

Second weekend stream already confirmed better than first weekend!

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings on this one. Chorus is pretty nice, verses are just ok, but the intro/bridge/outro/whatever with the "ooh ooh" is awful.

I agree with crominance, though. They could use a shake up and I like the general direction of the song, with the vocals a bit subdued and the instrumental a bit more "lush", but in this song specifically it leaves a bit to be desired.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
they've needed to get out of a rut for several years now but I'm not sure aimless compositions and "oh-oh" vocals over acoustic guitar is it

i've got even money on natsuki rapping on a track before they break up

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Senbatsu for Nogizaka's 23rd single revealed two days ago. Largest one to date with 22 members.
  • Asuka center, as expected.
  • Yamashita is taking a short break since she's busy with a drama (and other stuff I assume), so that's a shame. Pretty sure she would've been front row.
  • Eito, Wakatsuki and Nishino's graduations mean that 3 spaces that were untakeable for years are now free, though I guess the returning Kubo and Kitano (2nd row on top of that!) will be the new core members.
  • Cool to see Sakaguchi and Watanabe getting their 1st senbatsu.
  • Takayama earned her front position thanks to the massive sales of her book I guess (I love her so yaaay).
  • It's been a minute since Hori got a front position too. Looks like they're starting to push her again.
fMlSEs0.jpg

Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Deerhoof are touring the States. I'll be catching them on Sunday in Chitown.

Kinda a Japanese band so thought I'd throw that out there.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Pretty cool cover art/packaging for the next Sakanaction, gonna get a physical copy for sure (I really want that Studio Coast show on the bonus bluray too)

Kinda wish he'd released a video for Rope, that song goes hard.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Found a new group I like!
Thanks! I havent been by this thread in a while, but man I feel like J Pop/Rock is real good right now.

Their newest single.

And yeah, the past two/three years or so (2019 included) have been a blessing.
The rise of new talents like Aimyon, King Gnu, Official Higedandism, Nulbarich, Suchmos, Yonezu Kenshi , Mrs Green Apple...
Already established acts are also bringing the heat.
I feel like I enjoy each year more than the previous one tbh. Super healthy rap/urban scene too.
Great time to be a Japanese music fan.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka

Their newest single.

And yeah, the past two/three years or so (2019 included) have been a blessing.
The rise of new talents like Aimyon, King Gnu, Official Higedandism, Nulbarich, Suchmos, Yonezu Kenshi , Mrs Green Apple...
Already established acts are also bringing the heat.
I feel like I enjoy each year more than the previous one tbh. Super healthy rap/urban scene too.
Great time to be a Japanese music fan.

I went out of my way to buy Mrs Green Apple's CDs when I visited Japan recently, and Aimyon is evergreen on my day-to-day playlist. Such good stuff!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Huh? This is just...awkward.

Been listening to it since its release, I dig it. Track produced and arranged by Tondenhey from Odd Foot Works, that's an unexpected collab. Would be cool to see her doing more stuff with artists that are more on the hip-hop spectrum like them.

She did a live yesterday where she only performed new songs, hopefully a new album is coming soon.

Speaking of Odd Foot Works, their new album is out next week, can't wait!

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

They say that the song has a 9mm Parabellum Bullet feel to it and yeah, I totally hear it.

I just can't wait to hear his new album, one of my most anticipated releases of the next two months, along with the new Fomare, Passepied, Sakanaction, Nogizaka46, Keytalk, and go!go!vanillas.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Lol, they got Time Machine 3-Gou this time. I'm all for having comedians in every MV they release.
Fun song.

-
KANA-BOON releasing a new single on june 12, really like the cover art. Good to see the actress Kishii Yukino again! She's been in a few of their MVs already, so I wonder if they'll continue the same story.

The song is currently used as the OP for Sarazanmai.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
watching the Perfume stream at Coachella and just dying holy shit i want to make one of their concerts one day, holy shit

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
They sound fantastic live! Even with all the movement around the stage. Love that song.
They're really getting better live, especially the vocalist.
First saw them in 2015, and his voice could be a little hit or miss.
Saw them a year later, and a third time in 2017. It's night and day.

-
Really enjoying this young band Miami Party.

Funnily enough, the song features a cool rap duo I've discovered hours before.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
man i sure hope this coachella youtube stream is archived or the perfume bit is clipped cos i have nfi how they are faking some of this stagecraft shit. i think some of these crowd sequences are faked? i don't know they're compositing this

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
man i sure hope this coachella youtube stream is archived or the perfume bit is clipped cos i have nfi how they are faking some of this stagecraft shit. i think some of these crowd sequences are faked? i don't know they're compositing this

Which part?

For the SxSW performance they had cameras all around the crowd that they could use to make make a 3D representation of the crowd on the fly.

Edit: oh, the last song? Yeah, that's screen overlays and camera work.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
well i'm about to go on a long plane ride so it's time to buy some albums (digitally from Australia). throw recommendations at me (even though I probably wont buy that many cos I already got a list)

vets might know my tastes but as a quick refresher

Perfume
Frederic
Radwimpz
Seventeen Years Old and the Berlin Wall
Mitsume
Charisma dot com
Supercar
Zutto Mayonaka de Ii no ni
Kero Kero Bonito
Shishamo
Kinoko Teikoku
Hideki Naganuma
Eve
Lemon's Chair

Also taking recommendations for fave albums for Kana-Boom and Oral Cigarettes since I like songs from their oeuvre but haven't yet grabbed an album i'm in love with

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
well i'm about to go on a long plane ride so it's time to buy some albums (digitally from Australia). throw recommendations at me (even though I probably wont buy that many cos I already got a list)

vets might know my tastes but as a quick refresher

Perfume
Frederic
Radwimpz
Seventeen Years Old and the Berlin Wall
Mitsume
Charisma dot com
Supercar
Zutto Mayonaka de Ii no ni
Kero Kero Bonito
Shishamo
Kinoko Teikoku
Hideki Naganuma
Eve
Lemon's Chair

Also taking recommendations for fave albums for Kana-Boom and Oral Cigarettes since I like songs from their oeuvre but haven't yet grabbed an album i'm in love with
Can't go wrong with any Kana-Boon or Oral Cigarettes albums tbh. Just get TIME from the former, and Kisses and Kills from the latter.

As for new recs, here are my favorite albums of 2019 so far :
King Gnu - Sympa
Aimyon - Shunkanteki Sixthsense (her latest album, might have a different name in English)
Hitorie - Howls
back number - Magic
Yorushika - Dakara Boku wa Ongaku wo Yameta
One Ok Rock - Eye of the Storm
Nulbarich - Blank Envelope
Suchmos - The Anymal
Kamiyama Yoh - Shiawasena Otona
Sekai no Owari - Eye/Lip
Nogizaka46 - Ima ga Omoide ni narumade
VaVa - VVorld

---

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The new DAOKO song produced by Kobayashi Takeshi is pretty neato. It's used for the new Tokyo Metro CM, they always get good songs for these commercials (CreepHyp featuring Taniguchi Maguro, back number... all produced by Kobayashi too)

--

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Noko produced a track for GOMESS. I'm pretty sure this was made exactly for me.
Lol I'm currently listening to the album without checking who produced the tracks beforehand, and when that song played I was like "Huh, this sounds like something Noko would do".
Really digging it so far.

--
So smooth

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
SIRUP seems right up my alley

Also maybe CERO (on the smooth/jazzy side) or Omake Club-related artists like YOSA, TOKYO HEALTH CLUB/TSUBAME, etc. (on the rap/hip-hop side)? And if you don't know iri, get to know iri, she's utterly fantastic.

Oh, and I think FNCY is kind of in the same ballpark, that's G.Rina, 鎮座DOPENESS and ZEN-LA-ROCK. I'm also a big fan of G.Rina's solo stuff:

YES INTO MY VEINS

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Can't get enough of Totsuzen Shonen, their first album released last week is great stuff. Taniguchi from KANA-BOON is calling them this generation's Going Steady.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

The 18 years old Mega Shinnosuke one the young artists to follow right now. He'll release an EP in June (his first nationwide release), I'm pretty excited. He recently wrote a song for EbiChuu too.

Last edited:

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
is there any Japanese trance/dance as satisfying to listen to as the Ayu-mi-x albums?

i know of Capsule,Perfume, and the rest of the Nakata stuff

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
tricot are getting their own label, it will be under the Avex/cutting edge umbrella. First release scheduled for fall.

Good addition to their rock roster, as NOT WONK are also going to Avex in june.

---

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but I assume Bakuretsu will be dropped, and they'll be creating a new one for the occasion.

That kinda sucks. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for tricot, I'm always skeptical when a band goes major and I feel like tricot had at least a vague dedication to the DIY ethos (how many other Japanese bands run their own label for years?) but maybe I've just misjudged their stance on this the whole time.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
That kinda sucks. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for tricot, I'm always skeptical when a band goes major and I feel like tricot had at least a vague dedication to the DIY ethos (how many other Japanese bands run their own label for years?) but maybe I've just misjudged their stance on this the whole time.
Trying to think of bands I like since their indie days that were ruined after going major but I can't think of any tbh (in most cases they got better actually), they'll be fine.

Last edited: