• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of bands I like since their indie days that were ruined after going major but I can't think of any tbh (in most cases they got better actually), they'll be fine.

Daoko and Polkadot Stingray are the big ones for me so far. Gesu, sort of, though they've been on Unborde since forever. Same with Capsule, not sure moving from Contemode to Warner proper counts. Oh, and Especia got wrecked by Victor as far as I'm concerned.

There are plenty of bands that didn't get destroyed by moving to a major, so I don't want to make it out like it's a death sentence or anything. I just worry.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
What, Gesu is better than ever. Polkadot I've been having mixed feelings lately (same as tricot) but they're still good, albeit a little more poppy than they used to be. DAOKO I agree. I would add Kinoko Teikoku as well >.>

In tricot's case I was already worried because I found 3 disappointing and Repeat super mediocre. I hope Repeat is just a one off and that they keep going in the same direction as potage/Boom ni Notte...

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Man, BANGLANG are extremely my shit. Like a cross between Age Factory and The Salovers. Can't wait for their first release.

SANABAGUN. ending the Heisei period with a bang.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Nogizaka46's new single got some cool cover arts. 5 different photographers, 5 different vibes. The message is that even though they're all different, the song Sing Out reunites them.
Actually it might be the first time they aren't in senbatsu order (aside from Asuka's solo since she's the center) but in age groups, which is great, it gives more varied member combinations.
D5Y0LjtUEAARCAG.jpg
D5Y0LjsU8AA4uic.jpg
D5Y0LjsUEAEcaPp.jpg
D5Y0LjrUYAIIq5D.jpg
D5Y0PNbUEAAoQYy.jpg

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Radio rip of Nogizaka's new single (MV will be out on friday). Not what I expected at all, but I'm loving it. Nice emotional anthem.

---

Nice song, also yay, Tanaka Makoto starring in it!

Really like their outfits, too.

D5jpqrIW4AEOryI.jpg

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Hi. I was dead from the Avengers thread for a while. Kurita, while my account was dead, I went to Paris for the first time! You have much more Japanese stuff than my city does.

In Florence now, and I was enjoying walking along the river listening to Cicada. Gotta buy more J music when I return home.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
There used to be a fairly decent-sized Book Off that only had Japanese CDs/books/mangas/magazines but it closed like 2 years ago. Used to buy so much stuff there. At least we still have a Junkudo.

-

-
Akai Koen announced that they're moving from EMI (Universal) to Epic (Sony). Hope they announce an album soon, the 2 songs they've released on Youtube so far have been excellent.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm loving every second of the new Genie High, I'm all for wacky songs where they all sing and make fun of themselves. Almost mad this sick beat isn't a Gesu song haha

Last edited:

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Chiai Fujikawa is such a talented singer (song starts at 50 seconds).

And Harutya's voice is plain angelic:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
How Chidori's Nobu ended up writing lyrics for Chiai Fujikawa is beyond me lol, but the song is pretty great. I guess being a top class humorist means you know how to write.
Since he's a big BiSH fan they should get him to write a song for them haha

--

Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
New KPP

I think it's ok. Sometimes the verse seems a little plodding to me, but I enjoy the chorus. That Japaneasy sound to the instrumental seems to be a carryover from last year's record.
I'll have to listen to this on headphones later though to get a fuller picture.

Here it is:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

Boy, this album is going to be really out there. This song is better than the other one at least.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
2 dope songs so far for Passepied!

-
DYGL's newest album is on Youtube for a couple of days.

Trailer for Children of the Sea featuring Yonezu Kenshi's new song (guess we know who'll dominate the charts this year)

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Kinda reminds me of their first album, which is great news for me. Just when I thought I was done with Passepied!
Yeah if anything it sounds a lot like their early works.
Given that it's their 10th anniversary it might be an album that covers all of their eras.

-
NAHAVAND is a pretty neat hip-hop with subtle rock undertones unit. Pretty great take on mixture rock if you ask me. Their newest album is produced by Gotch from Asian Kung-Fu Generation and Mabanua, so you know you're in for something great.

Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know this artist at all, but Ryuichi Sakamoto posted this on Facebook as he is part of the production on this track.

Enjoy this chill out track:

Edit: Huge derp moment it's the girl from the band Blonde Redhead. I knew something about her voice sounded vaguely familiar.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hope Foods release some music soon (regardless of the format), exactly the kind of fun hip hop sound I like. Reminds of Mom or Enjoy Music Club.

-
TETORA sound a lot like Yonige, Hump Back and FINLANDS, gonna keep an eye on them.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
lol, Gesu no Kiwami Otome are launching a "rival band" that will release their first single Watashi Igai Watashi Janai 2 (that title haha) next month. Not sure who the members are supposed to be, I thought one of them was the support member Sasamio at first.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
So that makes what, 6 bands that Enon is involved with? (indigo la End, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, DADARAY, Genie High, ichikoro, and now Jinsei no Sense)
I'm loving it.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
So that makes what, 6 bands that Enon is involved with? (indigo la End, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, DADARAY, Genie High, ichikoro, and now Jinsei no Sense)
I'm loving it.
I wonder if this'll become a real thing, could be just a one off for fun.
But knowing Enon it could totally be a serious project haha

As for Gesu they're releasing a new MV tomorrow (song will be out at midnight)

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it does, I like the snippets in the teaser. I though Genie High was going to be an one off too, but they are still releasing stuff, so they'll probably keep at it with a slower pace.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

--
Keyakizaka's 3rd year anniversary shows in Budokan were apparently insane. No unit songs, just full senbatsu ones, barely any MCs... Big contrast with the Osaka shows that were more fun oriented.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Looking forward to their next mini-album, re-recorded versions of the songs the guitarist Asahi wrote under his vocaloid pen name Ishifuro.
I used to love Contemporary-na Seikatsu, the other band Asahi and the bassist Fujita led, but they never really blew up (they haven't disbanded but at this point they're basically on hiatus), so I'm glad Necry Talkie are becoming popular.
Trying to find the words to describe why I dig Asahi's style this much : I think it's because his songs are what I imagine a wacky gag manga would "sound like" if it came to life. High energy, funny lyrics and melodies...

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
So, after basically a lifetime of ignoring Japanses music, I recently went on a Spotify binge and figured out there's actually a ton of it I like. But since Spotify is super slow and kind of sucky with new recommendations (as well as having a pretty limited library in the US version), I was hoping I could get some suggestions from ERA on other bands I might like, and this seems like the most obvious place to put it.

So, I was hoing if anyone here could give me suggestions similar to the below:

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - The band that started this Japan music journey, and I really like what they put out: high energy, instrumental blends of genres like and styles ska and jazz that's really easy to listen too while remaining constantly fresh. Form Spotify, I already found Kemuri and Mongol800, and they're okay, but not nearly as good.

Sheena Ringo - Even before, I heard Ringo's name mentioned a lot, but mostly ignored it thinking she just does JPOP. Well, that was clearly 100% wrong, because I really like her music, particularly her more jazzy compositions. From Spotify, other similar artists I found are EGO-WRAPPIN', Unchain, and kind of Seiko Oomori. All are fine on their own, but again not really quite as good to me.

Humbert Humbert - So this pretty much has to be the worst fictional character to name you group after, right? But other than the name, their music is pretty great, and I love the simplicity of it and how the harmony between the male and female voice sounds in their songs. In particular, their cover of Chiisana Koi no Uta is great. Nothing really super similar from Spotify here, except for I guess Ayana Kaneko, but she's not really quite what I'm looking for.

Gesu No Kiwami Otome - I really really like the instrumental parts of some of their songs, particularly this one (the part at around 1:10 when the guitar comes in for like 5 seconds is great, as is the part at around 2:20 with the bass), but I'm not so hot on their vocal style. So maybe something like this, but more instrumental focused?

Other artists I liked songs from (but not as much as the above) were Hana Sekitori, Quruli, Superfly, and SANOVA. Just in general, I think I'd like things more on the jazz and instrumental side, or songs with strong female vocals. On the other hand, I'm not that interested in standard pop, rock and electronic songs, but feel free to suggest them if you think I'd like them. I'm really pretty new to Japanese music and don't know anything about it other than what Spotify spits out and songs I pick up from random anime and video games.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
So, after basically a lifetime of ignoring Japanses music, I recently went on a Spotify binge and figured out there's actually a ton of it I like. But since Spotify is super slow and kind of sucky with new recommendations (as well as having a pretty limited library in the US version), I was hoping I could get some suggestions from ERA on other bands I might like, and this seems like the most obvious place to put it.
Welcome pal.

Throwing out some suggestions, we'll see what works!
Cero
Zainichi Funk
Suchmos
SIRUP
TENDRE
Orisaka Yuta
Lucky Tapes
SPECIAL OTHERS
DADARAY
SANABAGUN

---
Aaaaah, in-d is finally releasing some music digitally. New EP next week. Hope he'll release his first album d/o/s while he's at it too.

KOTORI's vocalist recently recommended this band, they're pretty dope.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just in general, I think I'd like things more on the jazz and instrumental side, or songs with strong female vocals. On the other hand, I'm not that interested in standard pop, rock and electronic songs, but feel free to suggest them if you think I'd like them. I'm really pretty new to Japanese music and don't know anything about it other than what Spotify spits out and songs I pick up from random anime and video games.

In addition to Kurita's picks, maybe:
CRCK/LCKS
Mononkul
Za Feedo
Remigai

CRCK/LCKS is probably the most technical/showy of the bunch (going off what you said re: Gesu), so start there maybe.

cpcz

Oct 28, 2017
New Donk CIty
Looking forward to their next mini-album, re-recorded versions of the songs the guitarist Asahi wrote under his vocaloid pen name Ishifuro.
I used to love Contemporary-na Seikatsu, the other band Asahi and the bassist Fujita led, but they never really blew up (they haven't disbanded but at this point they're basically on hiatus), so I'm glad Necry Talkie are becoming popular.
Trying to find the words to describe why I dig Asahi's style this much : I think it's because his songs are what I imagine a wacky gag manga would "sound like" if it came to life. High energy, funny lyrics and melodies...

You make me like them even more lol. Where can I find their song? I only know like 3 of their song from youtube.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell the mobile interface of this website is startlingly bad after quoting someone and trying to jump in between lines. Screen just jumps all over the place and struggles to stay in place as soon as the keyboard gets pulled up (only an issue when you have more text than what would fit without needing to scroll) . Made me nearly give up writing this simple response to the new person.

Aaaaanyways
Pellaidh

TOE

hoof. 10 minutes of trying to get that simple message across.
It's instrumental rock. You'll dig it.