• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I'm going to Fuji Rock this week. Any Japanese acts that are worth checking out? Haven't been listening to a lot of Japanese bands lately, and a lot of them in the line-up are unfamiliar to me.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm going to Fuji Rock this week. Any Japanese acts that are worth checking out? Haven't been listening to a lot of Japanese bands lately, and a lot of them in the line-up are unfamiliar to me.
Looking at the lineup, pretty much every Japanese act is good so...
The ones I recommend the most for each day :

Ellegarden (obviously, I'd be ready to go to Fuji Rock just for them)
Lucky Tapes
MOROHA
Totsuzen Shounen (突然少年, I'm seeing them next week in Shinjuku actually)
KOTORI (same as above, they're performing together)
Kid Fresino
OAU
Nakamura Kaho (中村佳穂)
Nigami 17sai (ニガミ17才)
Hei Tanaka

Asian Kung-Fu Generation (obviously #2)
GingNangBoyz (銀杏BOYZ)
DYGL
Zutto Mayonaka de Iinoni (ずっと真夜中でいいのに)
Tempalay
Nagasawa Tomoyuki (長澤知之)
the LOW-ATUS
Kimishima Ohzora (君島大空)
THIS IS JAPAN

never young beach
KOHH
SANABAGUN.
TENDRE
Domico (ドミコ)
toe
Sakiyama Soshi (崎山蒼志)
TENDOUJI

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Thanks Kurita! I'll check out whatever I can if it doesn't overlap with other stuff I'm definitely seeing. (Can't believe I forgot to mention Ajikan, def seeing them)

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
The bands I like that haven't been recommended by Kurota are:

Muto Shohei With Ueno Koji (武藤昭平 with ウエノコウジ)
Katte ni Shiyagare (勝手にしやがれ)

Superfly

I would go to Fujirock just for the two bands performing on the 26

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The HIATUS did a pretty legendary livestream yesterday for the release of their new album. Unfortunately there's no archive.
It was supposed to be 1 hour... It lasted 4 hours, Hosomi, and Izawa were drunk as hell near the end, talking about politics. The last words before the end of the stream were Hosomi proudly claiming that he liked to perform oral sex lol (someone in the chat asked about it)

Anyways, their new album is streaming!

--

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Nice, Odd Foot Works did the new lyrical school song. Great stuff.

Also I see that Jinmenusagi wrote the lyrics for a song on the new album, can't wait.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
It is criminally unfair that i like almost every single one of Takeshi Hosomi's song, and this new album is more of the same.

I don't know how hes able to capture everything i like in music and his lyrics always speaks to me as well. The 3 year wait between this album and Hands of gravity is well worth it. My personal album of the year so far and one of my all time favorite albums.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't heard their previous album, he(r)art, do give it a listen, it might scratch that itch for you.

EDIT:

Did not listen to this new track you edited into your post, but I listened to the band's last two LPs (He(r)art like 3 times, Film Bleu once). I like it. Don't necessarily love it, but very much excited to here this new LP. Overall I dig the sound of the band.

EDIT: Oh wait, the link is for a different artist anyway haha
EDIT 2: And when I say Iistened to For Tracy Hyde's previous records, I mean after your recommendation. Didn't ever hear them before. Weekend listening.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I went on a binge of old Vocaloid music and started looking up the artist. I never knew Hachi was Kenshi Yonezu! Homeboy has done well for himself.

Then I came up on Wowaka. :(

Rest in peace man. He was really talented and I wish I had kept following him more closely.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Remaster of the first Cornelius album was released today. Been listening to this song because the title shows how I feel with this heat.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
lol, Enon started another project:

From this news I learned he also writes the songs for Yuki Moeko, so this makes it 8 projects he is involved with. Dude wants to overtake the Japanese music industry. Better him than Nakata at least :v

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Did Becky ever get her career back or is it only Enon who gets to have his (admittedly pretty minor except that Japan is weird) sins absolved?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Becky has been back on TV for a while. She only took like a 4 months break after the scandal. She's too popular to be sent to the shadow realm.

Oh, that weirdly makes me feel better. Sometimes I have this image of Japanese celebrity culture as incredibly punitive if you're a woman, so I'm glad this seems to have had few lingering effects for either of them.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that weirdly makes me feel better. Sometimes I have this image of Japanese celebrity culture as incredibly punitive if you're a woman, so I'm glad this seems to have had few lingering effects for either of them.
Oh, that still exists. What happened to Uehara Takako is absolutely shameful.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the stream of Hirasawa's set at Fuji rock and it was great but, for the first time, he struggled to hit the high notes a few times. I don't know if it was a technical problem, was just having an off day or if it was because it was outdoors but he didn't sound confident, he just didn't sound as good as usual. He is 65 after all, his voice has always sounded the same and I knew there'd come a time when his voice would get worse eventually. He's still amazing, but I don't know what was wrong.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

I wish they would put their two mini albums up on streaming/for digital sale. They put their single on there, but for some reason stopped after that :<
Speaking of that, I'm still waiting for さよならポニーテール to release 来るべき世界 digitally, even though they did it on release day for their previous album, and looks like the same will happen to 脇田もなり's RIGHT HERE; even though all her albums and the lead single for this album is everywhere, the album itself is not. Very frustrating.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017

YES! Summer vibes all over me.

Oh, that still exists. What happened to Uehara Takako is absolutely shameful.

Not knowing anything about the situation I tried to see what I could gather from Wikipedia. Not much there really in terms of details. But if I was to infer from your post mixed with what I see on Wikipedia, I'm guessing she was exiled by media after her husband's suicide, due to public perception that she had an affair (or at least allegedly) that played a role in that her husband's decision to commit suicide?

Or is it something different?

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Spent the weekend at Rock in Japan with a friend.
Hot as hell, far from Tokyo, insane crowd... which means it was crazy fun.

Full sets I saw :
BiSH -> Opening act of Park Stage. They started with Giant Killers so everyone went ape shit.

Frederic -> First time they got Grass Stage (the biggest one, with 50 to 60k people), and man, I hope they'll always perform on that one. So good.

sumika -> also on Grass Stage. Just pure fun and happy vibes as expected.

Official Higedandism -> I'm gonna assume the stages were set before they exploded in popularity, cause Park Stage is way too small for them now. It's supposed to be a 10k-ish capacity stage, so people were watching from outside the designated area. Amazing set, that voice jeeeeeesus.

The Oral Cigarettes -> back to a packed Grass Stage for them, happy to see that they're now superstars. Freaking boss set.

the HIATUS -> last set I saw the 1st day. They're usually on the biggest stage, but this year they've actually ask for Sound of Forest, one of the smaller stages. What a perfect way to end the day. Their current sound is quite chill, so being surrounded by trees while the sun goes down was wonderful.

Keyakizaka46 -> opening act of day 2. Grass stage, people waiting like 2 hours before the set (I was one of these ofc lol). As expected the crowd was suuuuuper into it, the setlist was fantastic... I was freaking out from start to finish.

SKY-HI -> man, he's just so cool. The setlist focused more on his rap songs, which was surprising.

9mm Parabellum Bullet -> not much to say, 9mm are 9mm. Beasts.

King Gnu -> same situation as Official Higedandism. They're the two biggest newcomers stuck to Park Stage. Insane crowd, and the band absolutely killed it.

WANIMA -> last set I saw on day 2 (had to leave before 10-FEET). Well, they're the kings of feel good rock. 60k people jumping, singing, smiling, doing the wave...

Aside from that, caught a few songs from Nico Touches the Walls (before going to see SKY-HI) and Perfume (when I went back to Grass Stage for WANIMA).

Overall a fantastic experience. Just got my face burned by the sun but hey lol

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Spent the weekend at Rock in Japan with a friend.
Hot as hell, far from Tokyo, insane crowd... which means it was crazy fun.

Full sets I saw :
BiSH -> Opening act of Park Stage. They started with Giant Killers so everyone went ape shit.

Frederic -> First time they got Grass Stage (the biggest one, with 50 to 60k people), and man, I hope they'll always perform on that one. So good.

sumika -> also on Grass Stage. Just pure fun and happy vibes as expected.

Official Higedandism -> I'm gonna assume the stages were set before they exploded in popularity, cause Park Stage is way too small for them now. It's supposed to be a 10k-ish capacity stage, so people were watching from outside the designated area. Amazing set, that voice jeeeeeesus.

The Oral Cigarettes -> back to a packed Grass Stage for them, happy to see that they're now superstars. Freaking boss set.

the HIATUS -> last set I saw the 1st day. They're usually on the biggest stage, but this year they've actually ask for Sound of Forest, one of the smaller stages. What a perfect way to end the day. Their current sound is quite chill, so being surrounded by trees while the sun goes down was wonderful.

Keyakizaka46 -> opening act of day 2. Grass stage, people waiting like 2 hours before the set (I was one of these ofc lol). As expected the crowd was suuuuuper into it, the setlist was fantastic... I was freaking out from start to finish.

SKY-HI -> man, he's just so cool. The setlist focused more on his rap songs, which was surprising.

9mm Parabellum Bullet -> not much to say, 9mm are 9mm. Beasts.

King Gnu -> same situation as Official Higedandism. They're the two biggest newcomers stuck to Park Stage. Insane crowd, and the band absolutely killed it.

WANIMA -> last set I saw on day 2 (had to leave before 10-FEET). Well, they're the kings of feel good rock. 60k people jumping, singing, smiling, doing the wave...

Aside from that, caught a few songs from Nico Touches the Walls (before going to see SKY-HI) and Perfume (when I went back to Grass Stage for WANIMA).

Overall a fantastic experience. Just got my face burned by the sun but hey lol

How's Rock in Japan compared to Fujirock? It is bigger?