• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the weekend at Rock in Japan with a friend.
Hot as hell, far from Tokyo, insane crowd... which means it was crazy fun.

Full sets I saw :
BiSH -> Opening act of Park Stage. They started with Giant Killers so everyone went ape shit.

Frederic -> First time they got Grass Stage (the biggest one, with 50 to 60k people), and man, I hope they'll always perform on that one. So good.

sumika -> also on Grass Stage. Just pure fun and happy vibes as expected.

Official Higedandism -> I'm gonna assume the stages were set before they exploded in popularity, cause Park Stage is way too small for them now. It's supposed to be a 10k-ish capacity stage, so people were watching from outside the designated area. Amazing set, that voice jeeeeeesus.

The Oral Cigarettes -> back to a packed Grass Stage for them, happy to see that they're now superstars. Freaking boss set.

the HIATUS -> last set I saw the 1st day. They're usually on the biggest stage, but this year they've actually ask for Sound of Forest, one of the smaller stages. What a perfect way to end the day. Their current sound is quite chill, so being surrounded by trees while the sun goes down was wonderful.

Keyakizaka46 -> opening act of day 2. Grass stage, people waiting like 2 hours before the set (I was one of these ofc lol). As expected the crowd was suuuuuper into it, the setlist was fantastic... I was freaking out from start to finish.

SKY-HI -> man, he's just so cool. The setlist focused more on his rap songs, which was surprising.

9mm Parabellum Bullet -> not much to say, 9mm are 9mm. Beasts.

King Gnu -> same situation as Official Higedandism. They're the two biggest newcomers stuck to Park Stage. Insane crowd, and the band absolutely killed it.

WANIMA -> last set I saw on day 2 (had to leave before 10-FEET). Well, they're the kings of feel good rock. 60k people jumping, singing, smiling, doing the wave...

Aside from that, caught a few songs from Nico Touches the Walls (before going to see SKY-HI) and Perfume (when I went back to Grass Stage for WANIMA).

Overall a fantastic experience. Just got my face burned by the sun but hey lol

That sounds like an absolute blast! I am insanely jealous lol!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
That sounds like an absolute blast! I am insanely jealous lol!
Been my dream to go there since I first saw footage in like 2009/2010. Incredible experience.

Keyakizaka46 might be my favorite set of the festival. Had like 4 hours of sleep and drank a beer at 8:30 in the morning while waiting. Managed to be quite close to the stage.
The opening was so freaking hype, with all their faces popping on the screen aaaaaaah

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
New Chanmina album dropped today. We knew about half the tracks already due to singles but I think it's really solid.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Man, the new Nogizaka46 MV looks like something we'd get from Keyakizaka46

Speaking of Keyaki, they'll do their first Tokyo Dome shows on Sep.18/19. Should be pretty amazing.

Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
I understand you kids like the hippity hop, yes?
This was released late last month. Just giving it a listen at the moment. Not really sure what I think of it yet.

EDIT: yooooooooooo! That sample on track 8. My man. Nujabes.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
New Chanmina album dropped today. We knew about half the tracks already due to singles but I think it's really solid.

Yeah, I dug it, too. Having Call and Doctor on one album is real nice.
This was released late last month. Just giving it a listen at the moment. Not really sure what I think of it yet.

Gonna check this out.
BRAFiQJ.gif

Also, this is so good.
I'm having a great day of listening to J hip hop.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Should I buy this ridiculous 17-record boxset of Pizzicato Five songs from the 90s yes or maybe

The embed didn't load for me so I was trying to figure out what album you were talking about. Hilariously, I'm listening to as usual right now, and track 8 just came on. This and the Monari Wakita album both snuck up on me.

I think I like it? It's more downbeat than her previous work, which I think works for her, but I need to let it soak in a bit more.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm probably incredibly late to the party but I just discovered this and I'm absolutely feeling it:

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Recently discovered BabySitter(ベビシ). These girls are amazing. Been listening to their songs on repeat. Their most recent release:

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
This is second to none the best track I've heard this year. It's ridiculous how good it is.

First track from the new SKY-HI/Salu collab album dropped. Real good though it sounds a bit like Just a lil' bit by JP the WAVY.

Last edited:

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Rock in Japan is so much better for people like us into Japanese artists.
--
Kurita, Rock in Japan is soooo hot! I've never sweat so much in my life. It's an ordeal, but to see so much music is a fantastic experience.
Y'all make me wanna pray to the lottery ticket gods to experience a sweat fest for myself!
unexpectedly professional. good song too

Oh this reminds me. I saw We Are Little Zombies the other week and realized that Hachigatsu chan was in it for a brief segment (along with Chai). On topic though, neat rendition of that song.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
About festivals, I want to go to Arabaki because some of the bands I like perform there every year and I have read it doesn't have a lot of people like Fujirock and Rock in Japan. Hopefully I can go next year.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Festival tickets are the easiest ones to get in my experience. There's a nice amount of lotteries for each fes, and they rarely reach max capacity (most people wait for the general sale) so you're guaranteed to get a ticket.
Yeah, I've never had an issue getting festival tickets.

That's good to know. I guess I got a weird impression of ticket lotteries from my attempts at getting tickets to an esports event then.

Fingers crossed sweet love shower has a similar lineup to this year :)

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Kurita, this is still my favorite music video I've seen this year. I love it so much.

Next would probably be

Edit:
This is obviously top 5, too.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah Dancing Boy is also of my fav videos of the year. So many peeps I love in it.
First place goes to Keyakizaka46's Kuroi Hitsuji.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Tomorrow's Rising Sun Rock Fest has been canceled because of the typhoon.

Edit: Sumer Sonic is going to stream some artist performances on YouTube. Here's the list:

Last edited:

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Why nobody told me Itsue's vocalist started a new project?

I really liked these tunes. I liked the other stuff you posted recently as well (even choco-minto ice, ice, ice!).

I'm looking to get into some more contemporary Japanese alternative, chill rock, chill vocal electronic, and jazzy hip hoppy stuff. Any recommendations?

For reference, a recent song I discovered that I like (though it's older) is Eden by Metro-Ongen.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I really liked these tunes. I liked the other stuff you posted recently as well (even choco-minto ice, ice, ice!).

I'm looking to get into some more contemporary Japanese alternative, chill rock, chill vocal electronic, and jazzy hip hoppy stuff. Any recommendations?

For reference, a recent song I discovered that I like (though it's older) is Eden by Metro-Ongen.
I'm bad at genres and labels so these may or may not be what you're looking for.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm bad at genres and labels so these may or may not be what you're looking for.

Thanks dude, you nailed it! I forgot I had actually heard a SIRUP song before in a bar in Tokyo (LMN) and really loved it. The first three tunes you posted I'm really digging and will add to my library. The last one wasn't as interesting to me but I can look into the artist anyway.