• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Thanks dude, you nailed it! I forgot I had actually heard a SIRUP song before in a bar in Tokyo (LMN) and really loved it. The first three tunes you posted I'm really digging and will add to my library. The last one wasn't as interesting to me but I can look into the artist anyway.
Happy you found stuff you like.
Guess I might as well recommend TENDRE and Lucky Tapes as well.

Also, one of my favorite new artists is Mom, so I'm legally obligated to recommend him even if he doesn't fit the criterias.

Last edited:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked these tunes. I liked the other stuff you posted recently as well (even choco-minto ice, ice, ice!).

I'm looking to get into some more contemporary Japanese alternative, chill rock, chill vocal electronic, and jazzy hip hoppy stuff. Any recommendations?

For reference, a recent song I discovered that I like (though it's older) is Eden by Metro-Ongen.

That Metro-Ongen song reminded my of Homecomings.

For jazzy stuff:
Mime
showmore
CRCK/LCKS
Spangle call Lilli line
D.A.N.
TAMTAM
CICADA
The fin.

And maybe some city pop-ish/electronica stuff? HALLCA, SHE IS SUMMER, リリリップス, 脇田もなり, フィロソフィーのダンス

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Happy you found stuff you like.
Guess I might as well recommend TENDRE and Lucky Tapes as well.

Also, one of my favorite new artists is Mom, so I'm legally obligated to recommend him even if he doesn't fit the criterias.

You guys gave me so much to work with. Thank you so much!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked these tunes. I liked the other stuff you posted recently as well (even choco-minto ice, ice, ice!).

I'm looking to get into some more contemporary Japanese alternative, chill rock, chill vocal electronic, and jazzy hip hoppy stuff. Any recommendations?

For reference, a recent song I discovered that I like (though it's older) is Eden by Metro-Ongen.

Others have already posted most of my picks, so I'll stick to stuff I don't think has shown up yet:

alternative/chill rock
OK?NO!! (sadly long dead but super fun and jangly; their last album is not on Bandcamp but also great)
Yoshida Yohei Group (I think of them as the Japanese Dirty Projectors but without the weird uncomfortable breakup issues)
Sunny Day Service

chill vocal electronic
Mondo Grosso (you've probably already heard this but just in case!)
ame to kanmuri (seriously one of my favourite discoveries of the past five years)

jazzy hip-hop stuff
iri (speaking of favourite discoveries; this leans more city pop/r&b)
CRCK/LCKS (so good I had to mention them again)
mononkul
cero (heavy on the jazz, very light on the hip-hop, figured you might like it anyways maybe?)

Last edited:

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Others have already posted most of my picks, so I'll stick to stuff I don't think has shown up yet:

alternative/chill rock
OK?NO!! (sadly long dead but super fun and jangly; their last album is not on Bandcamp but also great)
Yoshida Yohei Group (I think of them as the Japanese Dirty Projectors but without the weird uncomfortable breakup issues)
Sunny Day Service

chill vocal electronic
Mondo Grosso (you've probably already heard this but just in case!)
ame to kanmuri (seriously one of my favourite discoveries of the past five years)

jazzy hip-hop stuff
iri (speaking of favourite discoveries; this leans more city pop/r&b)
CRCK/LCKS (so good I had to mention them again)
mononkul
cero (heavy on the jazz, very light on the hip-hop, figured you might like it anyways maybe?)
This is so great, thank you. I'll be diving into the hip hop stuff first tomorrow night when I boot up Rocket League. Much appreciated.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I guess it's the day dope bands that have both hiragana and katakana in their name release MVs. New Macaroni Empitsu and Oisicle Melonpan.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a friend that's in Japan for a while and they just sent me this video, and we're currently trying to figure out who this is and what song it is, I was wondering if I could get a little backup on this one? It's a pretty short clip but hopefully someone might know.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Genryu . All I can tell from that clip is that it's some "visual kei" band, but that's a big blind spot for me.

-----------

Finally got around to Shiina Ringo's new effort. My goodness! My goodness!!! This lady still has the lust for music. Album comes out kicking with a track that has me all like, "man this girl is going a little wild. And coming in with English right off the bat. K." The album has superb instrumental playing. The songs range from classy to humorous to way out there. Shiina seems so confident and in control of it all. She has that special aura around her where you almost feel like "well I better straighten my back and have something substantial to say at the table" were you to for some reason be seated at some dinner party. I don't know what I expected going in. I just didn't know I would be so satisfied and at times even laughing at how good the record turned out to be. Well I know what I expected in a way, which is the same for any artist who has been in the game long enough; are they going to be boring old Abaneezer Geezers clinching on to the past or just being a more generic version of themselves. Happens to pretty much every music artist and that doesn't detract from the strong days of their career. I was just a little worried the time might be coming for Shiina. Not so fast boiyzzz!

Great damn record.

I think my fav was track 9, which is actually more straightforward rock, but just really solid to me (and totally gives me some Radiohead vibes too).

Edit: and please listen with headphones or quality speakers. Playing form a phone or laptop speakers does absolutely no justice to the instruments.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
New Suda Keina

Hinatazaka46 will release their 3rd single in october. Please have Kanemura on the 1st lane thx.
Still waiting for the new Keyakizaka46 single too please.

Kinzokubatto

Jul 30, 2019
Copenhagen
Just saw some clips from the Number Girl reunion livestream. Goddamn, they still sound amazing. Really hoping they keep playing shows and maybe even make a new album.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017

Pitchfork set from last month. Nice to see these stream performances preserved. It's a great thing (unless you had a rough gig hahaha).

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017

Parts I really like : 1:05 - 1:52 (essentially the pre-chorus, chorus and post chorus)
Parts I love: 2:39 - to the end. Just builds on top of that what I already liked in that previously mentioned section.
Kinda so so on the verses.
Not liking the bit from 2:25 to 2:38. Just didn't do it for me.
Like the snare sound of the drums.

Oddly enough it sounds like a heavily remixed The Strokes track. Or maybe some Julian would cook up solo. I can almost perfectly hear his vocals on this. Heck Julian should do his own remix of this track heh.

This has gotten my attention though. I'll check into their discography during the week. This is a cool song. I like it emotionally.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Got myself Suchmos, ONE OK ROCK and Keyakizaka46's latest live footages yay
1f616df5-eb90-42b3-a76k3u.jpeg

Give

Oct 27, 2017
Oakland, CA
Started listening to BiSH the other day and quickly fell in love with more than like, but something about it sounded really familiar

I realized the riff and some other parts are pretty close to this song by the American (pop)-punk band RVIVR, especially the solo-ish thing towards the end

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs played a new unreleased song called Bird and Rhythm.

Kind of a chill rock number

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hoping we'll get a new Genie High album this year!

EDIT : oh they did announce one. Out late november.

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Not sure if these really fit the thread, since Moe Shop are a French producer, but they've been living in Tokyo and actually started doing music in Tokyo, and always do features with a ton of Japanese artists. I love their style.

Last edited:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if this is really fits the thread, since Moe Shop are a French producer, but they've been living in Tokyo and actually started doing music in Tokyo, and always do features with a ton of Japanese artists. I love their style.

I really like their stuff since they started collaborating with Japanese artists, I've been getting into Future Funk because of them and Desired.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is really fits the thread, since Moe Shop are a French producer, but they've been living in Tokyo and actually started doing music in Tokyo, and always do features with a ton of Japanese artists. I love their style.

I don't know if it fits either but Moe Moe was one of my favourite albums from last year so I approve nonetheless!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
New Keyakizaka46 song used for their Aeon Card CM. Might be the title track of an upcoming single? It's got "october" in the title so hey, maybe we'll just have to wait 2 months.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah they're quite good
i like songs with a good melody though so i really like sierra by neetz feat gottz keiju yo-sea and family business by maison de feat shurkn pap taiyoh
the spotify also introduced me to chanmina which is pretty dope

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Saw RADWIMPS yesterday at Yokohama Arena and man, it was mind blowing from start to finish.
Sometimes I forget how fucking amazing they are. They killed it.
Fantastic setlist, fans, venue...
As for the best part of the show... ONE OK ROCK's Taka came out to sing IKIJIBIKI 😭😭 It was the first time they managed to invite him on this tour (OOR are busy as hell so hey) so I'm incredibly lucky. The whole arena lost their collective shit when Yojiro introduced him. I just went nuts, don't think I've ever screamed this much lol

Setlist if you're curious