• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Meshida is leaving KANA-BOON. He was taking a break due to his mental illness, but he doesn't know how long it will take to get better.
Saw it coming, but still :(

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

The "unofficial" list of Kouhaku artists has been published by Sports Nippon. It's based on insiders info and all so you might see some changes.
Noteworthy first timers : Spitz, ONE OK ROCK, Hinatazaka46, Official Higedandism, Suda Masaki, BiSH.

ONE OK ROCK would be pretty huge, the band has never performed in a music show (aside from the 18-sai thing a few years ago, but that was different)

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Meshida is leaving KANA-BOON. He was taking a break due to his mental illness, but he doesn't know how long it will take to get better.

I'm not surprised but all that matters is his mental illness. Hopefully he gets better.
——
Do you know what's the signer of Kinoko Teikoku doing? She is a solo artist now?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Do you know what's the signer of Kinoko Teikoku doing? She is a solo artist now?
Yeah! Her new album released today, coincidentally: click.

One of my favorite concerts years ago was seeing Kinoko Teikoku back when they were still super into being Shoegaze. Chiaki would have her face covered with her hair most of the time, they'd blast reverb, and they just had such an incredible atmosphere.

Itsuki, are you going to any upcoming concerts? We have to go to one together one day!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm not surprised but all that matters is his mental illness. Hopefully he gets better.
——
Yeah she released an EP last year, and as Aizo said her 1st full album dropped today.
It's super neat, she tries a lot of different genres. Excited to see what she's got in stores, she's already thinking about her next album.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

There's a comment from them saying they'll have a big announcement in December. Probably an album, super excited if so.

In other news, Chouchou, who just released an album, announced a new one to be release December 13th. I have 7 albums I'm looking forward to in December, gonna be an amazing month.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
In other news, Chouchou, who just released an album, announced a new one to be release December 13th. I have 7 albums I'm looking forward to in December, gonna be an amazing month.
Yay. I love Chouchou!

I've only listened to a few Tsuyu songs before. They're so Vocaloid. I like that. I see they have a Vocaloid playlist on their channel now, so they used to do Vocaloid stuff? Very cool, like a few other artists I love.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Yay. I love Chouchou!

I've only listened to a few Tsuyu songs before. They're so Vocaloid. I like that. I see they have a Vocaloid playlist on their channel now, so they used to do Vocaloid stuff? Very cool, like a few other artists I love.

Yes, the composer used to release vocaloid songs under the name of ぷす.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah! Her new album released today, coincidentally: click.

One of my favorite concerts years ago was seeing Kinoko Teikoku back when they were still super into being Shoegaze. Chiaki would have her face covered with her hair most of the time, they'd blast reverb, and they just had such an incredible atmosphere.

Itsuki, are you going to any upcoming concerts? We have to go to one together one day!
Thanks Aizo and Kurita for the info! I'll listen to her album!

I'm planing on going to The GROOVERS concert this month and Shohei Muto's birthday concert next month but apart from that, I don't have any plans for the rest of the year. Couldn't go to the Bass Day Concert...
On January, I'm probably going to A Flood of Circle Shibuya concert and The Birthday x Monoeyes. Not sure if I'll be able to go the last one tho (got the ticket through lottery).

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Official list for this year's Kouhaku has been revealed, and Sports Nicchi's info were wrong about Spitz, One Ok Rock and BiSH. Hinatazaka46, Official Higedandism and Suda Masaki are in tho. King Gnu will also perform.
No Yonezu Kenshi this year, though I assume Suda will sing the song he wrote so hey that kinda counts! (Foorin too)

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Cool EDM anthem-ish song from EMPiRE. Starting to get pretty hyped for their upcoming album, as I really enjoyed the other lead track.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Kurita, you posted the other two 崎山蒼志 MVs previously but not this one:

I had listened to his other stuff back when you posted the MV with 君島大空, but didn't like it. However these 3 songs with other artists have been amazing.

This was also my first time listening to 長谷川白紙, listened to his other songs and that's some crazy shit.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
This was also my first time listening to 長谷川白紙, listened to his other songs and that's some crazy shit.
Yeah this guy is doing some weird stuff lol. 80% of the comments on his videos are like "Sounds like a fever dream".
Check out his new album that came out this week if you haven't already. It's pretty great.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017

Just want to tell you that I really appreciate your contribution to this thread. Because of you I've discovered a lot of new artist and songs, so thanks a lot!

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i just returned from my fourth tokyo trip and went to three different shows while i was there: OOIOO, tofubeats, and benny sings. unfortunately i missed out on for tracy hyde (one of my current favourites) by about 6 hours!

OOIOO was a top 5 show of all time for me. tofubeats was okay, but he and kid fresino were blown away by the support: videotapemusic. they are tons of fun live and i'm absolutely obsessed with this song by them:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Unison Square Garden's vocalist Saito is launching a new band with his long-time friend, the bassist Suto Yuu (he does a lot of support work, including Yonezu Kenshi, sumika, Ieri Leo, Superfly, Sato Chiaki).
Pretty excited to see what kind of sound they're going for, since Saito doesn't write the songs for Unison Square Garden.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
nsilvias what have you been listening to lately?
I've been listening to the new Kataomoi album which i really enjoy. It reminds me a bit of Cero.

I've been really big on Kaho Nakamura this year. I've also loved this artist called Hina Ohta who i believe has put out one of the best albums of the year that no one has heard.

Oh yeah i can't forget this new Shun Ishiwaka (CRCK/LCKS drummer) track with Kid Fresino.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
sumika are kicking off the Christmas songs season. Every episode of Ossans' Love's new season is a blessing, and hearing this song at the end just makes the show even better.

slimcat are pretty damn nice. They're from Seez Records, the indie label that launched The Bawdies and go!go!vanillas back in the day. UK-ish rock sound, great energy.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've been listening to the new Katamoi album which i really enjoy. It reminds me a bit of Cero.

I've been really big on Kaho Nakamura this year. I've also loved this artist called Hina Ohta who i believe has put out one of the best albums of the year that no one has heard.

Oh yeah i can't forget this new Shun Ishiwaka (CRCK/LCKS drummer) track with Kid Fresino.

Awesome. I'll check these out!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Cool releases of the week :

Enuma Fumiya (ex-plenty)'s second solo album

The Songbards's major debut album

Slimcat's first album

mol-74's new EP

(and obviously TWICE's 2nd Japanese album)

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
nsilvias or Kurita are you using Japanese spotify? I still use my Japanese account, but they don't accept my payment anymore since I stopped using my Japanese bank account. Is there a workaround? They switched me over to an American account temporarily, and I asked to have it reverted when I saw tons of my Japanese music disappeared from lists.

Also, nsilvias , what's your source for finding new stuff? You find cool shit, including that recent featured Kid Fresino song that somehow slipped past my radar till then. I liked Hina Oota's 渦中 when I heard it last year, but I didn't keep up, so I didn't know about the album a few months later.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Spotify will only give you access to the catalog of your card's country. It sucks, so that's why I don't use it anymore. I just get the links to share stuff with people who, from what I can tell, mostly use Spotify (also it's easier to share directly on forums)

I have a Japanese iTunes account + iTunes cards (I get them on play-asia, cheapest and most reliable way in my experience) to get the Japanese Apple Music catalog. No region lock or anything.

Last edited:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Spotify will only give you access to the catalog of your card's country. It sucks, so that's why I don't use it anymore. I just get the links to share stuff with people who, from what I can tell, mostly use Spotify (also it's easier to share directly on forums)

I have Japanese iTunes account + iTunes cards (I get them on play-asia, cheapest and most reliable way in my experience) to get the Japanese Apple Music catalog. No region lock or anything.
Yeah... it does suck. I'm sick of muting in between songs when commercials play, because I still use the free Japanese account off and on.

I tried apple music for a bit, but really disliked how it integrated with the library I already have... Maybe I have to look into it again.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
nsilvias or Kurita are you using Japanese spotify? I still use my Japanese account, but they don't accept my payment anymore since I stopped using my Japanese bank account. Is there a workaround? They switched me over to an American account temporarily, and I asked to have it reverted when I saw tons of my Japanese music disappeared from lists.

Also, nsilvias , what's your source for finding new stuff? You find cool shit, including that recent featured Kid Fresino song that somehow slipped past my radar till then. I liked Hina Oota's 渦中 when I heard it last year, but I didn't keep up, so I didn't know about the album a few months later.
I use spotify US free, It doesnt seem to be missing most of what i listen to except big label oldies.

On spotify i follow playlists curated by Japanese music news sites (Spincoaster, Cinra) , labels (Lute) , artists, and Spotify Japan.
On Twitter I follow artists i like and individual members of bands and i pay attention to what their doing and who their rolling with at shows.

Thats really it to be honest. I dont even use youtube much for discovery anymore. I occasionally find something nice being talked about on jps.

Here are some playlists i follow on spotify:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I use spotify US free, It doesnt seem to be missing most of what i listen to except big label oldies.

On spotify i follow playlists curated by Japanese music news sites (Spincoaster, Cinra) , labels (Lute) , artists, and Spotify Japan.
On Twitter I follow artists i like and individual members of bands and i pay attention to what their doing and who their rolling with at shows.

Thats really it to be honest. I dont even use youtube much for discovery anymore. I occasionally find something nice being talked about on jps.

Here are some playlists i follow on spotify:

Thanks! I never really browse twitter. I post and see whatever's on my page on tweetdeck, and then I'm out, so I can't really keep up following stuff there. I was listening to some of the Japan Spotify curated lists, but these other ones are great!