• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell? I'm just learning Ayumi Hamasaki is a mom now. This is pretty surprising but congrats to her.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I dig this.

So what were the best albums and songs of 2019 in y'all's opinion?

Here are my 50-ish favorites albums of the year
  • Mom - Detox
  • ONE OK ROCK - Eye of the Storm
  • the HIATUS - Our Secret Spot
  • KEYTALK - DON'T STOP THE MUSIC
  • Sakanaction - 834.194
  • Dos Monos - Dos City
  • King Gnu - Sympa
  • Aimyon - Shunkanteki Sixth Sense
  • Mukai Taichi - Savage
  • KOTORI - REVIVAL
  • My Hair is Bad - boys
  • KANDYTOWN - ADVISORY
  • SANABAGUN. - BALLADS
  • Suda Masaki - LOVE
  • Genie High - Genie High Story
  • indigo la End - Nureteyuku Shishōsetsu
  • Official Higedandism - Travelers
  • VaVa - VVORLD
  • Haruka Mirai - Eien no Hana
  • Hitorie - HOWLS
  • Suchmos - THE ANYMAL
  • Nulbarich - Blank Envelope
  • Creepy Nuts - Yofukashi no Uta
  • BiSH - CARROTS and STiCKS
  • Mrs. GREEN APPLE - Attitude
  • Miyuna - Yurareru
  • SIRUP - FEEL GOOD
  • 2 - Sei to Shi
  • Frederic - Frederhythm 2
  • OKAMOTO'S - BOY
  • WANIMA - COMINATCHA!!
  • UVERworld - UNSER
  • Tempalay - 21 seiki yori ai wo komete
  • BUMP OF CHICKEN - aurora arc
  • WILYWNKA - PAUSE
  • CVLTE - CVLTE
  • Slimcat - Bleachers
  • SEKAI NO OWARI - Lip/Eye
  • FOMARE - FORCE
  • Sato Chiaki - PLANET
  • back number - MAGIC
  • Okamoto Koki - GIRL
  • Mega Shinnosuke - HONNE
  • The Floor - nest
  • Macaroni Empitsu - season
  • BBHF - Family
  • TENDRE - IN SIGHT
  • Rude-α - 22
  • go!go!vanillas - THE WORLD
  • the engy - Talking about a Talk
  • Obukuro Nariaki - Piercing
  • Ebisu Shiritsu Chuugaku - playlist
Here's the Youtube playlist that goes with it, 1 song for each album.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Mine:

kiki vivi lily - vivid (Copenhagen)
TSUBAME - THE PRESENT (GOOD NIGHT)
AAAMYYY - BODY (愛のため)
Answer to Remember - Answer to Remember (Still So What)
Sayonara Ponytail - What's Meant to Be (空飛ぶ子熊、巡礼ス)
Satoko Shibata - がんばれ!メロディー (結婚しました)
Passepied - More Humor (Graffiti)
iri - Shade (Wonderland)
Monari Wakita - RIGHT HERE (エスパドリーユでつかまえて)
Pizzicato Five - THE BAND OF 20TH CENTURY: Nippon Columbia Years 1991-2001 (A Message Song)

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
A couple of young artists to follow in 2020

Vaundy : came out of nowhere in late 2019 with his song Tokyo Flash. Looks like the Youtube algorithm decided to push it for some reason, and it's now standing at a solid 2.2 millions views. He hasn't released any EPs/albums yet, so I hope the buzz leads to a release pretty soon.

CVLTE : one of my favorite finds on 2019 with their first EP. It's been a while since we got a fresh emo pop band. Looking forward to their 2nd EP. Really think they have the potential to become a big thing, ala ONE OK ROCK, MY FIRST STORY etc...

Kubota Kai : his debut EP released last month was very fresh. He's a rapper but I'm sure he's got more in stores for us, thanks to poppier tracks. Excited to see where he goes from here.

the engy : major debut in 2019 with a great mini album. Dang catchy tunes from these guys, I feel like Victor got themselves a new Nulbarich on their hands if they play their cards right. Just give them a cool ad song and they can blow up.

Honorable mentions : See You Smile, Cody Lee (季), Lil Soft Tennis, Miyuna

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Damn, Shiraishi Mai is graduating from Nogizaka46 later this year. The group's 25th single will be her last one.
End of an era, goodbye to one of the GOAT.

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Shiraishi Mai is graduating from Nogizaka46 later this year. The group's 25th single will be her last one.
End of an era, goodbye to one of the GOAT.
Indeed... gonna be a new frontier for Nogizaka come March.

Fresh news from Hinatazaka though... Hiyotan is coming back with the 4th single!
(... Iguchi ... please come back T^T)

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Indeed... gonna be a new frontier for Nogizaka come March.

Fresh news from Hinatazaka though... Hiyotan is coming back with the 4th single!
(... Iguchi ... please come back T^T)

I'm expecting Matsumura to be gone before the end of the year too, given how close they were. Maybe Takayama as well, but who knows.
That being said, Nogizaka have been doing a good job building new big faces (namely Yoda, Yamashita, Umezawa, Ozono, Kaki, Endo) and I'm pretty excited to see senbatsus with more 3rd and 4th gen. The huge success of the 3rd Gen & 4 Gen show was great to see.

Good news for Hiyori, looking forward to that new single! I'm guessing it's going to be the song for their drama.

I'm also wondering when the 15 remaining Sakamichi kenshuusei will join the groups.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Shizuku looks so good with a ponytail.

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also wondering when the 15 remaining Sakamichi kenshuusei will join the groups.

Those poor girls :( I do expect a good chunk to join Hinata. I wonder if that bunshun note about the delay being due to the fact none of them wanted to join Keyaki is true or not...

Anywhoo!
ENvLlOdUwAA8eqp

Ready to see what #4 is gonna sound like for Hinata. Back to katakana titles!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Really digging this song by SHIFT_CONTROL. It's been a while since I came across a young band that does that kind of emotional guitar rock with a great "feeling of speed" (for the lack of a better expression) this well. Addicted to that sick lead guitar.
Reminds me of cinema staff, and I'm sure they're one of their influences since they're also from Gifu (+ cinema staff's Mishima retweeted that song).
One more new release to look forward to this month!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Those poor girls :( I do expect a good chunk to join Hinata. I wonder if that bunshun note about the delay being due to the fact none of them wanted to join Keyaki is true or not...

Anywhoo!
ENvLlOdUwAA8eqp

Ready to see what #4 is gonna sound like for Hinata. Back to katakana titles!
They performed the coupling track Seishun No Uma today at Tokyo Girls Collection Shizuoka. It's actually that one that will be used as the theme song for their drama.

Safe to assume that the formation will be the same for the main track. My girl Kanemura finally getting a front position :')

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Was this posted the other week? Just came across it. Pretty good.

Edit: I guess I also missed a new Coaltar of the Deepers song last month? It's great!

Last edited:

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
They performed the coupling track Seishun No Uma today at Tokyo Girls Collection Shizuoka. It's actually that one that will be used as the theme song for their drama.

Safe to assume that the formation will be the same for the main track. My girl Kanemura finally getting a front position :')

And confirmation!
d4417481.jpg

Nice to see Hiyotan in the 3rd Single outfit.
Ushio & Tomita to 2nd row, and Osushi & Meimei to 1st...
Unfortunately taht means Otake & Miipan in the back...

Guess no chance of a surprise Iguchi revival huh...

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
what are some good post-rock, pop rock, punk/screamo bands out of Japan? i'm a big fan of Toe but otherwise new to the scene.

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I'm absolutely terrible at discerning genres so do you have any exemples of pop rock bands you listen to so I can guide you?
I am bad at music terminology as well, just regurgitating what I hear lol.

But here are some Japanese bands I enjoyed when down the youtube rabbit hole last night:

www.youtube.com

ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - Rewrite

Music video by Asian Kung-Fu Generation performing Rewrite. (C) 2004 Ki/oon Music Inc.

Western stuff I like:

Saosin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcEFcRotdzE

Alkaline Trio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeTOS2VBVw

Alexisonfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kodJrC8TY

Refused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkAe30aEG5c

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I am bad at music terminology as well, just regurgitating what I hear lol.

But here are some Japanese bands I enjoyed when down the youtube rabbit hole last night:

These are all Japanese bands I really like, good picks!
A few recs (that you may or may already have heard during your search)

They don't all fit into the same specific category but they're all great imo, worth a listen.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Thanks, these are great so far. I appreciate it!
Glad you like these.

A few more acts I love.

I'm deliberately casting a wide net with stuff that might not be what you were exactly asking for, because I believe that it's good to see what's out there in general before diving into very specific niches. Japanese music is just wonderful in terms of creativity, variety, whether it's mainstream acts or indie artists.
I fell down the rabbit hole 14 years ago and never looked back haha

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Hey Era, I'm a shameless noob.
Could you share a Canada friendly Spotify PL for a good diverse list for JP music?
It can be anything, old / new / Hits / Indie / Rock / Pop / Hip Hop etc. you get the point.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Hey Era, I'm a shameless noob.
Could you share a Canada friendly Spotify PL for a good diverse list for JP music?
It can be anything, old / new / Hits / Indie / Rock / Pop / Hip Hop etc. you get the point.
I did a fairly meaty playlist earlier this year. It's made with the French Spotify library so I assume most of it should be also available in Canada?

https://open.spotify.com/user/eyeshieldfan/playlist/13A7fLbzg22KktOKYmWCOq?si=8M9yQcM4RKuDwqxgTEA0rA

Just hit the shuffle button and enjoy.
I'm an Apple Music guy so I haven't updated it in a while. Hope you'll discover great artists thanks to it!

Last edited:

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't listened to any JP music or gone to any concert I was planing to go after a very bad experience I had on a concert back in October. Probably won't go to The Birthday x Monoeyes concert either...
Anyways, is there any good songs that have been released lately?