• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
seriously, I think I spent like an hour reading about random monsters on http://yokai.com

I mean look at this mofo. This is a Japanese monster based on mold growing in your house.

090-keukegen.jpg

Keukegen
毛羽毛現
けうけげん

TRANSLATION: hairy, fluffy sight; alternatively, rare and dubious thing
HABITAT: damp homes, dirty gardens, moldy closets, under floorboards
DIET: mold, dirt, and garbage

APPEARANCE: Keukegen are particularly filthy monsters commonly found in populated areas. They are the size of a small dog, and appear simply as a mass of long, dirty hair. They make their homes in cool, damp, dark places, and are particularly fond of living under floorboards and around run-down homes, where stuffiness, moisture, and lack of human activity create the perfect breeding place for sickness.

Or this creepy sob

kekkai-watermark.png

Kekkai
血塊
けっかい

TRANSLATION: blood clot
ALTERNATE NAMES: kekke
HABITAT: under the floorboards of its birth house
DIET: its own mother

APPEARANCE: Kekkai are a kind of sankai—childbirth monster—from Saitama, Kanagawa, and Nagano prefectures. They are small and ugly, resembling a monkey. Their hair is said to grow in backwards, and they have two tongues: one red and one white. They are sometimes born from pregnant mothers instead of human babies.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should get the books written by Matt Alt about Yokais. Who is a big fan of them and professional translator (on the subject of Yokai, he translated Nioh)

Disclaimer. I've not read them. But have heard Matt talk about them, and read some net articles he's written. He knows his stuff.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Look't this badass.

Square up.

edit: Yo this dude

鍾馗
しょうき

APPEARANCE:
Shōki (also known by the Chinese rendering of his name, Zhong Kui) is a legendary hero and deity from ancient China. He is ugly, with a large, hulking body, a long, flowing beard, and fearsome, piercing eyes. He is usually shown carrying a sword and wearing a court official's cap. Shōki is known as "the demon queller" for his ability to vanquish, exorcise, and even control oni and other demons. He is so feared by oni that even his image is said to scare them away. The demons he defeats sometimes become his servants. It is said that he commands 80,000 demons.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
NOthing can beat the

Shirime

The story goes as follows: Long ago, a samurai was walking at night down the road to Kyōto, when he heard someone calling out for him to wait. "Who's there?!" he asked nervously, only to turn around and find a man stripping off his clothes and pointing his bare buttocks at the flabbergasted traveler. A huge glittering eye then opened up where the strange man's anus should have been.

The shiri-me was so liked by the haiku poet and artist Yosa Buson that he included it in many of his yōkai paintings.

From a distance, shiri-me appears to be a normal human being. When close enough, however, it becomes apparent that it is a yokai. It has no facial features, but located in its butt hole is a large eye which shines like lightning.

Shiri-me approaches travelers on the road late at night, looking like a man wearing a kimono. Once it has their attention, it asks them if they have a moment to spare. Before they can answer, the shiri-me drops its kimono to the ground and bends over, spreading its butt cheeks and revealing the giant, shining eye located inside of its butt hole.

Other than its very startling behavior, shiri-me does not do anything harmful. It appears to thrive solely on the joy of scaring people.

Although there are very few documented encounters, because of its alternate name (nuppori-bōzu) and its shocking behavior, it is very likely that Shiri-me is a close relative of the noppera-bō, another faceless ghost. In this case, shiri-me's true form may simply be a shapeshifted animal playing a practical joke on humans.

It is also apparent that the shiri-me might be a type a noppera-bo. Only it can give a double surprise, first showing the featureless face then bending over and exposing the eyeball butt. The shiri-me doesn't have any bad intentions or evil purpose. It just thinks it is fun to surprise people.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
clearly you guys haven't read on the magnificent 'hantu tetek' ghost that's from malaysia/indonesia

1. Hantu Tetek – translates as Ghost Breast. This ghost is a female with huge breasts which is said to use it to suffocate her victims

gambar-hantu-tetek-pontianak-seram-takut-blog-gamba-gambo-nenen.jpg

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
zhong kui is chinese...why is it suddenly inducted into japanese mythology, LMAO.....

PS. Am chinese.

ORIGIN: Shōki originated in ancient China during the 700's. His story reached Japan by the late Heian period, and his popularity reached its height during the Edo period. Paintings and statues of him are still used as a good luck charms. His image appears on flags, folding screens, and hanging scrolls. Small statues of him can sometimes be seen on the roofs of older houses in Kyoto as well. Shōki is strongly associated with Boys' Day, a holiday in May. He is revered as a god of protection from demons and sickness (particularly smallpox, which was believed to be spread by evil spirits), and also as a god of scholarship.

Edit : this soft shelled turtle ghost doesn't fuck around.

DIET: none; thrives solely on vengeance

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

he's the immortal demon slayer and ghost catcher of hell....that is on the forces of good.

unless judo-christianity hell where it is a place where evil people go and ruled by evil demons, the chinese mythological concept of hell is where evil people go to be punished and tortured for their sins. Chinese hell are ruled by the king yama who is actually good. Zhong kui is the dude that was tasked to captured roaming evil spirits in the mortal realm back to hell.

If you have a hard time imagining the chinese hell concept, just watch dragon ball.

king yama in DBZ is based on king yama in chinese mythology (which originates from certain sects of buddhism).

latest

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I like Futakuchi onna (Two-Mouth Woman). The story surrounding it is creepy and amusing at the same time.

056-futakuchionna.jpg

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
There's actually a couple of beautiful illustrated books by Shigeru Mizuki (creator of Kitaro) on the subject. Really worth looking for. Mine are in French, but the « Yokai » one, published by Cornélius, is a sight to behold.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of the fox by Julie Kagawa is the book I'm currently reading and features some Yokai. The spider woman creeped me out. Recommended.