• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ent-sues-over-schools-order-to-dye-hair-black

Japanese student sues over school's order to dye hair black

Teenager says multiple applications of dye to her naturally brown hair have caused rashes on her scalp

A teenager in Japan has taken local authorities to court after her school told her to dye her hair black or face exclusion.

The 18-year-old, who has naturally brown hair, is seeking 2.2m yen (£14,700) in damages from the Osaka prefectural government in western Japan due to anguish caused by repeated commands to colour her hair black.

The student, who has not been named because she is considered a minor, says multiple applications of dye have damaged her hair and caused rashes on her scalp.

Her mother told teachers before she started attending Kaifukan high school that her daughter had been born with naturally brown hair and so was not breaking a school rule requiring all students to have black hair.

However, teachers instructed the student to dye her hair black or face expulsion, and made her colour it again when it still contained brown tinges, according to Japanese media reports.

School staff told her mother they would even ask foreign exchange students with blond hair to comply, according to Kyodo News.

This year a survey of high schools in Tokyo found that almost 60% asked students with lighter hair for proof that it was naturally that colour. Ninety of the 170 schools surveyed by the Asahi newspaper said they asked students to provide photographs of themselves taken when they were infants or attending junior school to prove they had not coloured their hair.

That's some extreme conformity.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That's shocking.
Growing up in the UK the school didn't care if you dyed your hair. It feels like an unesscessary invasion into someone's life to dictate that.

Ensuring that your shirt was tucked in and your tie was tied properly was all they really enforced.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went to a school in Canada in the 90s that had a weird obsession with demanding normal hair colour too. No one was allowed to dye at all.

Obviously denying natural hair colors is a bit different. But it really sounds like the same thinking applied to a school in Japan where normal = black and taken to a crazy end point.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
I had to check snopes to be sure this wasnt an Hoax Oo

Daaaamn Japan, why?

Let them be

5983440678_5b18670c23_b.jpg

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Without going into "I'm an expert" territory, living there for a while, this isn't too out of the ordinary. Schools are all about uniformity, and just about all of them have that rule.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
is the old "if you have a different hair color that means you dyed it that means your a delinquent" sort of thing? Or is it just the more annoying "everybody should look the same and not stand out" BS

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This may be an open secret I'm not aware of, and given the trope in anime that only delinquents dye their hair, why is hair color a problem to Japanese schools?

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad whenever I'm reminded of how embedded conformities are within modern Japan, especially as they're still facing a population decline.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of teaching in China and learning that left handed kids are forced to write right handed.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
I should be surprised but I'm not.

I love most of Japan's culture as well as the games & animation that is created there but they are really far behind when it comes to things like this and other important social issues. It's pretty messed up.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard about the dyeing black thing, but never when it came to exchange students. Are they sure about this?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard about the dyeing black thing, but never when it came to exchange students. Are they sure about this?
well, in high school a friend of mine was an exchange student in tokyo. the teachers showed her a list of acceptable darker hair colours she would be allowed to have b/c she is a natural blonde.
from dark brown to black was okay.
but that was in...2007?2008?

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I read its hard to get a job if you dye your hair over there unless you're in entertainment.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, that's really dumb. Like, I could understand them trying to crack down on unnatural colors (still think any color should be allowed IMO) but this is ridiculous.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I got sent to the principle's office for frosted tips back in the day. They were all the rage. In the US.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the hair have to be black?

Is it because a majority of Japanese people have black hair so everybody has to be the same?

This seems racist.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, sadly this doesn't seem too far out there for japan.

I really like a lot of things coming from japan but they have so many issues that need to be solved all around their social structures, be it work or school.
I really hope that the new generation (which is already another problem in itself) can change some of the things going on.

Anyways good for the girl actually going against such shitty practices, usually stuff like that never gets called out in japan because nobody wants to piss other people off or leave a negative impression

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The same thing happened to my brother in law when he was in high school. He had dyed his hair and also did some stuff that got him in trouble, just basic juvenile delinquency. He was in a public high school in Chiba and they kicked him out. He ended up enrolling in a private high school (which are easier to get into) in Tokyo and graduated there.

When I was teaching English in Japan, at a junior high school I was at, the teachers had cans of black hairspray they would use on a couple of the "problem" students that would come to school with dyed hair.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The same thing happened to my brother in law when he was in high school. He had dyed his hair and also did some stuff that got him in trouble, just basic juvenile delinquency. He was in a public high school in Chiba and they kicked him out. He ended up enrolling in a private high school (which are easier to get into) in Tokyo and graduated there.

When I was teaching English in Japan, at a junior high school I was at, the teachers had cans of black hairspray they would use on a couple of the "problem" students that would come to school with dyed hair.
It's one thing to not allow people to dye their hair, it's another thing entirely to force them to do it. As mentioned in the article, dye isn't exactly good for your hair (or for your scalp if you get it there).

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
We tend to think of Japan as cute and super kawaii but then stuff like this makes you remember that they have fucked up social constructs

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's one thing to not allow people to dye their hair, it's another thing entirely to force them to do it. As mentioned in the article, dye isn't exactly good for your hair (or for your scalp if you get it there).

Yeah, it was pretty crazy to see the teachers basically drag the student into the teachers room and go to down on his dyed hair with the spray. I think they even shaves his head once. I was pretty shocked to see that happen; teachers shouldn't be doing that kind of thing to students. Of course, being an English "teacher," I wasn't really in a position to do anything.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked. At my high school here in Texas, you just had to make sure it was a natural color. And even then if you put a light streak they usually wouldn't care.