• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty messed up. Who cares what hair color anyone has. At least I'd understand if they were fighting against some crazy hot pink/blue/whatever colors there, but natural colors is silly.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. The teaching staff at the school I worked at while in Japan had a meeting over 1 hour to discuss about a student who dyed their hair brown. The way they were talking you'd think some sort of major disaster had happened, but no...Just hair.

Oct 25, 2017
no
That's sucky. A lot of people are very sensitive to dyes :/

My high school let anything go with hair. It was slogans and pictures on your clothes/binders/backpack/locker that were always under scrutiny, but not in a bad way. They just didn't want naked ladies and swastikas everywhere.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
:(.

My hair is naturally brown rather than black. I'd be screwed.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I expected to see pics of rebellious students with bright orange/green/purple hair or something but the student suing just has regular brown hair WTF

Eyeh4wk

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's the natural hair colour of most Japanese people and they value conformity in their society.

Humm, I would say that most japanese associate high-schoolers that dye their hair to be delinquent/slacker/rebels what have you. I'm not saying that it's true. That's why she had to prove that was her natural hair color.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
So...combat students possibly dying their hair....by making them dye their hair? #FlawlessLogic

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
You mean to tell me anime is lying?

X36onKz.jpg

Funny thing is, Bleach of all things made this into a minor character detail. Ichigo and Orihime being natural redheads got them flak because people thought not having 'normal' hair indicated they were delinquents.

Sadly, shame to see the mindset has apparently gotten worse in some parts.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Humm, I would say that most japanese associate high-schoolers that dye their hair to be delinquent/slacker/rebels what have you. I'm not saying that it's true. That's why she had to prove that was her natural hair color.
I mean, the reason people who dye their hair are considered rebels is because of the societal expectation of conformity

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
This is all kinds of messed up :S Why do studends have to have black hair to begin with?

Many traditional countries, including some Asian countries are pretty culturally conformist. Western countries( not all I assume and in different varying degrees) are individualistic, in part that includes personal expression.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
"The nail that sticks out must be hammered down." Japan has a lot of weird hangups...most countries do when you look at them as an outsider. I mean, I know conformity is the aim of the game here, but this seems just a lot extreme...

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't that uncommon, unfortunately. School rules often state "hair must be black" as a way to ban hair dying, since they often assume everyone has the same jet black hair. Being the same is important in Japan. Definitely seeing a much bigger backlash to it in recent years, so hopefully it will be a thing of the past before too long.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So many kids in elementary school have naturally brown hair where I am. I've heard of this sort of thing happening by mistake, but it's disgusting that the school thinks it has the right to force it black.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reminded me of all the shit Yoko goes through because of her hair color in the 12 Kingdoms. Even from her own parents.

main-qimg-71eb81a1357f8f0789c206d1e5450a0b

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
As previosly stated this mostly about conformity. That seem to be one of reason most Japanese fictional characters have wild hairstyle and colors. It also seem to be one of the main contributor to a lot of Japan's social problems. But that just from a outsiders view.

Include

Oct 25, 2017
So they just don't care if someone has natural brown hair at all? Because surely they must know that being Asian doesn't automatically means having black hair.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait does that mean Japanese people that I think dye their hair actually don't dye their hair, and the ones I assume go by their natural hair color are actually dyeing their hair?

I'm confused!

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is this real? How does the government even think about allowing this? The students need to fucking win big in this lawsuit.