• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
In the latest protest against rigid rules over women's appearance, the hashtag "glasses are forbidden" was trending on Twitter in reaction to a Japanese television show that exposed businesses that were imposing the bans on female staff.

One woman who works in restaurants tweeted that she was repeatedly told not to wear her glasses because it would appear "rude" and they did not go with her traditional kimono.

"If the rules prohibit only women to wear glasses, this is a discrimination against women," Kanae Doi, the Japan director at Human Rights Watch, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation on Friday.

Imagine these rules before contact lenses...

Nov 23, 2017
Women are almost always, always, the impetus for huge social movements (both for their own and for general liberation).... Japan is clearly due for one of those. The stuff about how women also can almost never move up in the work world too comes to mind.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That's so stupid. Article mentions a lot of places mandate they wear high heels too.

May 21, 2019
I am not an expert on Japanese culture, but banning women from wearing glasses in the workplace sounds like pretty fucking clear gender discrimination in the most backward ass way. What century are they living in?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
One woman who works in restaurants tweeted that she was repeatedly told not to wear her glasses because it would appear "rude" and they did not go with her traditional kimono.

Now that the article stated that, I don't think I've ever seen a glasses and kimono combo 🤔

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I hear #MeToo has started to catch on in South Korea. It's high time for Women's' Rights movements to take ground in Japan and start some cultural revolutions!

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
wtf Japan

let your employees wear glasses

Jesus,

I find women in the office who wear glasses to be as feminine as those without glasses

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Japan is fucked up on way too many levels. Literally preventing someone from mitigating an impairment, in the name of looking feminine? Na get to fuck

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Japan continues to have incredily sexist rules/traditions in completely unexpected ways.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
That's stupid.

What if someone has astigmatism and contacts don't work (as some eyes, like mine, can't work with even the "made for astigmatism" variants unfortunately), as a simple example?

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Among them, some retail chains reportedly said glasses-wearing shop assistants gave a "cold impression".

"It's not about how women do their work. The company... values the women's appearance as being feminine and that's opposite to someone who wears glasses," Prof Nemoto said.

The discussion has echoes of a recent workplace controversy in Japan over high heels.

Actor and writer Yumi Ishikawa launched a petition calling for Japan to end dress codes after being made to wear high heels while working at a funeral parlour.

The movement attracted a stream of support and a strong social media following.

Supporters tweeted the petition alongside the hashtag #KuToo in solidarity with her cause, mirroring the #MeToo movement against sexual abuse.

The slogan plays on the Japanese words for shoes "kutsu" and pain "kutsuu".

Campaigners say that wearing high heels is seen as obligatory when applying for jobs.

Supporters were further aggravated after a Japanese minister said it is "necessary" for companies to enforce dress codes that mandated high heels.

Prof Nemoto said there continues to be discussion by women in Japan "criticising the high heel" policies.

"Women are evaluated mostly on their appearance," she said. "That's the message that these policies are sending, at least."

Men making sure women know their place.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese society continues showing how misogynistic it is. Disgusting.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
EIrJCrFUcAAzJr9.jpg

oh my fucking god

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, wonder what the contrived reasoning is that they're using to make women do this..

*reads more*

Yeah, nope. Pretty blatant actually.

Thats impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Japan is the only place you'd find businesses prohibiting employees from wearing glasses and businesses where employees must wear glasses.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous.
Hold on doctor, these glasses seem quite rude with my Kimono; can you prescribe me a strap on cock so i can see?

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that this doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, as in, I don't believe every company does this. It seems to be specific places with discriminatory "dress codes" that seem to be allowed because of a blanket opinion on dress codes in general.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
This is not a common thing in Japan.

Most people didn't even know it's a thing until news of certain businesses doing it came out.