• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Honestly this is the tip of the iceberg
It started off as a serious yet somewhat contained scandal. It was discovered last month that a student who had taken the entrance exams for Tokyo Medical University (東京医科大学) had had his scores bumped up so that he would gain admission. The student was the son of an official with Japan's Ministry of Education, Sports and Technology (MEXT), and an official at the school skewed the kid's scores upwards in a tit-for-tat bribery deal.

But then the school launched a thorough investigation into its admission practices – and what it found was that the bribery incident was only the tip of the iceberg. It turns out administrators at the school have, as an unwritten rule, been uniformly lowering test scores for women to limit the number who get accepted at the university. The reason? One official quoted by Yomiuri Shinbun called it a "necessary evil" (必要悪) due to the fact that women get married and/or pregnant, and resign their positions midway through their careers.
like I said in the other thread I posted this, its almost comically evil
Considering I have a preference for women who wear glasses, this is offensive.
source.gif

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This sort of sexism seems to be so ingrained in Japanese society that even many women seem to have internalized it. It is all about being pretty or cute at all times.
Little anecdote on that topic: A Japanese friend of mine was visiting me over Christmas when it was sub-zero temperatures here with lots of snow and ice. We went to the Christmas market in town and at one point she voiced to me her big surprise that many women in Europe wear pants, boots and thick jackets, and in her view don't look attractive at all like that. She had expected it to be different in Europe, more "chic". I was a bit baffled as to why that was so surprising in the middle of winter, and she then explained to me that even in winter Japanese women want to dress prettily and cute, and that means short skirts or dresses even in ice and snow. She was wearing some sort of dress and tights as well back then, and I remember me and my family being worried she wanted to go sightseeing the entire day dressed like this.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
What about clerical work back in the day, were those mostly men? As sexists in and of itself as the concept of secretaries were back in say the 1950s and 60s, seems weird to imagine a clerical workforce that was forced to not wear glasses no matter how sexist you were.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Even for Japan, this seems a bit nuts.

Too many businesses are held back by the old men who run them

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
8a1b19d19ae0fa541ff64c2a40.gif

That is a load of Bull. Fucking. Shit.

That these rules about being "rude" and "doesn't go with traditional clothing" are somehow not applied to men is kind of a big goddamn tell.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I thought everyone had a thing for megane/glasses there.

Animu was a lie.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This gem from the BBC article:

Glasses are the antithesis of femininity, apparently.

This guy clearly hasn't experienced the delights of the "naughty librarian"aesthetic...

In all seriousness, what the flying fork is this? It's genuinely absurd. I'm glad that Japanese women aren't putting up with this shit anymore and fighting it. So god damn stupid. Looking "feminine" is more important than, um, actually being able to see at work. The hell...

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous and any company doing this needs to be named and shamed until they change their policies.
It's so fucking annoying seeing all the ways women in various cultures are kept on a tight leash about how they can dress, act etc and men get to do basically whatever.

That's stupid.

What if someone has astigmatism and contacts don't work (as some eyes, like mine, can't work with even the "made for astigmatism" variants unfortunately), as a simple example?

Sorry, it's back to the job hunt for you! We can't employ any glasses-wearing women here, it doesn't align with the CEO's fetish- errrr it looks cold and doesn't match the yukata.
Seriously, it's dumb especially because people can have very real reasons they can't or shouldn't wear contacts.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal: my wife said she wore glasses in CS. From 19-27 she never had an issue, mostly as a buyer. She worked in Shinjuku mostly. She's 31 now.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I remember mentioning how ass backwards Japan was in another thread and yeah after reading the article yesterday I was pretty pissed. Social issues over there are so rampant. Only thing I can think of would be either a lawsuit or a big enough protest.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I for one absolutely agree with the Japanese businesses who impose these rules. CLEARLY this woman looks extremely masculine due to her glasses. Clearly...
librarian13_600_903_s.jpg

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
One of my coworkers spent the last 2 years in japan as a teacher, this was her dream. All she has to say about it is how backwards they are culturally to women. It really upset her the things she went throigh.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Thankfully this wasn't the case for any of the women anywhere I worked in Japan, but I am not surprised to hear it at all.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I knew about the high heel thing but I didn't know about this. Japan needs to fix their shit.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Just an aside - this is not all companies.
The company I work for there is no such rule.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder anime girls keep getting hit by trucks and vans. They can't see shit, Captain.

Magni

Unfortunately, it's not surprising to me that there are companies like that here, and they need to be called out and forced to change. I've heard of airlines banning glasses across the board (men and women), but there is no reason for it to be gender-based.

One thing to point out: this is not the norm. There are tons of women who wear glasses at work here. All those screencaps of shows are them explaining to people how companies are justifying these policies, because a lot of people wouldn't understand why this is a thing in the first place. Unfortunately, compared to the West, way too many people understand and agree with these sexist justifications.

Edit: 👇 yep, learned this from a friend who was a flight attendant at JAL. She always wore contact lenses on the job (and most of the time off the job too) and had no problem with that policy. It makes sense. Safety is a much bigger deal on a plane than in some random office.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Apparently both men and women are forbidden from wearing glasses as flight attendants for JAL and ANA, what the fuck. Per the NHK, apparently it's for "safety," because if they fall and break in an emergency it's "dangerous."

"So we asked, 'what about danger that arises from being unable to see?' and we got the same 'for safety' answer."

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
8a1b19d19ae0fa541ff64c2a40.gif

That is a load of Bull. Fucking. Shit.

That these rules about being "rude" and "doesn't go with traditional clothing" are somehow not applied to men is kind of a big goddamn tell.
Didn't Kamiya have an argument about Bayonetta wearing glasses against "the voice of the gods" requesting constantly that they be removed to which he responded "they're not coming off".

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kamiya have an argument about Bayonetta wearing glasses against "the voice of the gods" requesting constantly that they be removed to which he responded "they're not coming off".

Yeah, Kamiya buckled down on that. In fact, when he talked to the character designer about designing Bayonetta (forget her name), that was the only request he asked her and was generally letting her to her own devices for how to design Bayonetta besides that (ignoring the bit of the team having to request a couple changes to tone her down, due to potential ratings concerns).

That aside, yeah, I've been seeing this talked about occasionally by a couple Japanese people I follow. This, the whole Red Cross issue, and the School & Education situation (there was also something unrelated, but apparently how English education is handled in Japan has become a hot debate recently too, which my friend was discussing about on her time line as well), Japanese twitter users are not particularly happy about this stuff. Not by the least.

This stuff is absolutely infuriating to see.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Now that is some backwards ass bullshit.

My GF and I want to go to Japan one day. Besides being black (I've heard the Japanese can be racist as fuck) she also wears glasses. The last thing I want or will tolerate is anyone giving her shit. I don't care if it's their culture or country. She's wearing her goddamn glasses.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that is some backwards ass bullshit.

My GF and I want to go to Japan one day. Besides being black (I've heard the Japanese can be racist as fuck) she also wears glasses. The last thing I want or will tolerate is anyone giving her shit. I don't care if it's their culture or country. She's wearing her goddamn glasses.

I don't know if you heard about the incident, but did you hear what happened to Miss Universe Japan a couple years back? She's half Black, Half Japanese and won the contest, and it caused an outrage as you can probably imagine what people had to say (it was both nationalistic and racist as hell):

This article goes into some of this, including Ariana's experience growing up in Japan. as she was bullied because of her being mixed. It's absolutely awful.

I know it's slightly out of the scale of this topic, but your post made me think about this.

Honestly, it always frustrates me seeing this, especially given I have a number of friends living there, some who are women (as well as other minority groups) and the stuff talked about in this topic absolutely affect them. It infuriates me and I always feel helpless that I can't do anything other than raising awareness online on the English side of things from where I'm at.

Last edited: