• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the act of construction itself, not just maintenance. Oil, acid, machinery, all sorts of stuff is necessary for building a gigantic telescope that has most of its structure underground. The volcanic rock is porous, which is why the aquifer is supplied in the first place from rainfall going through the porous rock. The potential for contamination is much higher than the previous telescope.
Makes sense.

Didn't the TMT project present some sort of environmental impact assessment report? Do you know if it says anything about this?

(I'm not trying to refute you, I just want to understand the circumstances better.)

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Bring it here! We mostly killed the native population and 100% killed the native culture of the Canary Islands like five hundred years ago, so there's no sacred land here as long as it is sufficiently respectful with nature after it's done.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY

N2U0iMS.jpg

Perfect

Was that portion written by Terrence Howard?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Top of Mauna Kea:

MaunaKea-Cuillandre-2000.jpg

Science > "Sacred"

Yeah I kinda suspect most people who haven't been following the saga of this telescope and are now chiming in with a knee-jerk response don't realize there are already twelve others up there. For better or worse, Mauna Kea is one of the best places on the planet to do astronomy. It's not like they picked a sacred site because the land was cheap.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good on him for bringing attention to this. If the natives aren't cool with it then they should just build it somewhere else.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of people thinking that Jason Momoa would be able to post to Instagram after getting run over by an effing bulldozer is staggering.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top of Mauna Kea:

Science > "Sacred"
I can't get behind this.Science is more important than outdated rituals.
Yeah I kinda suspect most people who haven't been following the saga of this telescope and are now chiming in with a knee-jerk response don't realize there are already twelve others up there. For better or worse, Mauna Kea is one of the best places on the planet to do astronomy. It's not like they picked a sacred site because the land was cheap.

It ain't as simple as "virtuous science VS dumb rock beating superstitious natives"

Despite assurances there has been mismanagement of the lands. Hazardous chemicals spills and refuse management issues amongst other things and people don't trust these observatories to be continually built and managed with regard for the environment.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted. There isn't really anywhere else in the Pacific to do high fidelity astronomy and our arrays need global coverage.

Honestly it might as well be the land of the sky gods.

It ain't as simple as "virtuous science VS dumb rock beating superstitious natives"

Despite assurances there has been mismanagement of the lands. Hazardous chemicals spills and refuse management issues amongst other things and people don't trust these observatories to be continually built and managed with regard for the environment.

Okay this is fair enough

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good for Momoa. But uh, judging by the pic in the OP, that land is already been desecrated? Construction seems pretty far along.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Never said it was. It's also not as simple as "greedy corporation trying to make a buck", which is usually what (justifiably) prompts protests like these and is probably the default assumption of anyone hearing the story for the first time without any context.

The track record at Mauna Kea definitely has not been stellar (lol). I'm conflicted about it too. But these are still eminently solvable issues if treated properly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They don't want it, they don want it.

And these discussions always swerve into white man's burden.

Shit just look at the history of the island and see why folks feel a type of way about this

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Shit just look at the history of the island and see why folks feel a type of way about this
Heck, there were protest last time they built telescopes there (in smaller scale than this) and part of the agreement that calmed things down WAS NOT TO BUILD MORE THERE.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Unfortunately we don't yet have the ability to observe the cosmos through the center of the planet from the other side.

Oct 27, 2017
Top of Mauna Kea:

Science > "Sacred"
I stand behind this train of thought.

I watched the video and her main arguments are, america sucks for taking over Hawaii. Some people built telescopes without permits. There have been accidental chemical spills. Scientists are people too and can also believe in sacred hoobla. Just because we say it will be different doesn't mean it will be. And the crown cherry at the end, she goes on to say their sacred nonsense has value. It doesn't. While I understand there are environmental impacts, this is quite literally being built in order to advance humanity in a very important way and it needs to be judged with that knowledge in mind. She even talks about how this spot is amazing for studying the stars, it's not like this place was selected at random or is being used to pillage natural resources, it's sadly a case of no progress without risk. The risks in situation sound minor and it does sounds like it boils down to superstition vs. a place to commit acts of science. The video didn't sway my opinion, it only reaffirmed it.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I watched the video and her main arguments are, america sucks for taking over Hawaii. Some people built telescopes without permits. There have been accidental chemical spills. Scientists are people too and can also believe in sacred hoobla. Just because we say it will be different doesn't mean it will be. And the crown cherry at the end, she goes on to say their sacred nonsense has value. It doesn't. While I understand there are environmental impacts, this is quite literally being built in order to advance humanity in a very important way and it needs to be judged with that knowledge in mind. She even talks about how this spot is amazing for studying the stars, it's not like this place was selected at random or is being used to pillage natural resources, it's sadly a case of no progress without risk. The risks in situation sound minor and it does sounds like it boils down to superstition vs. a place to commit acts of science. The video didn't sway my opinion, it only reaffirmed it.

It's not superstition, it's cultural relevance. The fact that there is a quarry there where natives built stone tools as well as burial grounds should be more than enough to leave the mountain alone.

Oct 26, 2017

I love how you underplay and dismiss the bolded which are all valid points. Advancement of society by shitting on the past and minority group. How edgy of you.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that a big majority of native Hawaiians support the TMT.

"Last October (2018), a Honolulu Star-Advertiser poll of 800 registered voters found 77-percent supported the project, including 72 percent of Native Hawaiians"

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

America does suck for annexing Hawaii after deposing native rule. Saying it so flipantly as you do is bad look, to put it nicely. Yes, some scientists can actually be considerate human beings who can empathize with other brown and/or poor humans instead of pursuing things in a chauvinist manner that dredges up an ugly history and that is exclusionary to the culture and environmental well being of others here on earth. Otherwise it's a bad way to pursue science. A decent way to do is to at least postpone the building of future observatories and work closely with the local communities to come up with plans to better manage waste and build over decommissioned observatories. You know, include regular people in goddamn high minded pursuits.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
And platitudes without substance are always dangerous to discourse.

Just post the Jurassic Park meme so the degeneration of this discussion can be complete.
If you want to ignore history, and context that is fine too. This country has a long history of fucking over brown people for the name of "progress".

Oct 28, 2017
Conflicted about this. Science is important, and there's a reason why astronomers choose Mauna Kea to build telescopes. Ideally both should be possible, honoring the traditions and history of the site and allowing astronomers to benefit from the conditions on the summit. But I understand it's difficult given Hawaii's history

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you want to ignore history, and context that is fine too. This country has a long history of fucking over brown people for the name of "progress".

You're right, the exploitation of slave labor and displacement of native peoples in service of economic gain on the part of white people is definitely equivalent to building a scientific instrument at the one location in all of the Pacific suitable for astronomical observation on behalf of a diverse international community of scientists and with the support of a majority of the native community.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that a big majority of native Hawaiians support the TMT.

"Last October (2018), a Honolulu Star-Advertiser poll of 800 registered voters found 77-percent supported the project, including 72 percent of Native Hawaiians"
Direct link for this? If this is accurate it should change discourse.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To get a deeper understanding why some of the sentiments expressed here can be deeply problematic and a reproduction of colonial racialized sentiments about indigenous people please read this article: Casumbal-Salazar, I. (2017). A Fictive Kinship: Making "Modernity,""Ancient Hawaiians," and the Telescopes on Mauna Kea. Native American and Indigenous Studies, 4(2), 1-30.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Man. This threads a roller coaster. Between people reading what he poorly wrote, to people acting like it's clear to finding out It's an area with a bunch of other telescopes already

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To get a deeper understanding why some of the sentiments expressed here can be deeply problematic and a reproduction of colonial racialized sentiments about indigenous people please read this article: Casumbal-Salazar, I. (2017). A Fictive Kinship: Making "Modernity,""Ancient Hawaiians," and the Telescopes on Mauna Kea. Native American and Indigenous Studies, 4(2), 1-30.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they dont want it then fucking build it somewhere else. I love science, I would adore a big giant telescope in my back yard. I am not them though.

Edit: A poll shows 77% are FOR it though? And 72% of natives? Tough all around then (if that poll is accurate). I'd like to think they'd be ok with it for the advancement of the human race.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly looks like sacred land to me, I was pretty sympathetic towards the cause but this really changes the entire perspective. It's different when there's a friggin fleet of telescopes already there, not quite the untainted virgin soil I was expecting.

"Well, now that it is already tainted, we can continue building telescopes there" is not a good excuse when the last time they "tainted" the land, it was under promise not to continue with that.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
You're right, the exploitation of slave labor and displacement of native peoples in service of economic gain on the part of white people is definitely equivalent to building a scientific instrument at the one location in all of the Pacific suitable for astronomical observation on behalf of a diverse international community of scientists and with the support of a majority of the native community.

A poll of 800 registered voters is pretty far from an accurate measurement of "the majority" of any part of the community. Let alone the native community which stands at around 10% of the total population of Hawaii (latest census I can find being a total of around 1.4 million people). Do we even have numbers on how many of those 800 registered voters were actually native? Because even as a sample, it's hard to say what 72% of the native population who took the poll actually is in hard numbers.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of sad they can't come to an agreement. Studying the cosmos is one of the most spiritual things we do as modern humans. If anything it should make the site even more sacred.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This is a tough call for me. This really is different than something like the protests over the North Dakota pipeline where a 30 inch crude oil pipeline was posing an actual risk to a native community.

But, I sympathize with the anger. Especially if the protests are largely to represent a bigger struggle that Indigenous Hawaiians have been entirely fucked over for so long.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that this site is almost uniquely special even today could be something for Native Hawaiians to take pride in and celebrate. It has potential as a symbol of unity between the different cultures.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A poll of 800 registered voters is pretty far from an accurate measurement of "the majority" of any part of the community. Let alone the native community which stands at around 10% of the total population of Hawaii (latest census I can find being a total of around 1.4 million people). Do we even have numbers on how many of those 800 registered voters were actually native? Because even as a sample, it's hard to say what 72% of the native population who took the poll actually is in hard numbers.

If and when I see polling data that suggests a different result, I will evaluate and revise my opinion accordingly. Feel free to provide it if you know of any. Until then, I will work with the evidence at hand.