• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Jason Momoa says he can't start shooting "Aquaman 2"… because he "got run over by a bulldozer" while protesting construction of a giant telescope on land considered sacred to native Hawaiians.

"Sorry Warner Bros we can't shoot 'Aquaman 2,'" he wrote in an Instagram post. "Because Jason got run over by a bulldozer trying to stop the desecration of his native land THIS iS NOT HAPPENING. WE ARE NOT LETTING YOU DO THIS ANYMORE. Enough is enough. Go somewhere else."

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. Construction on the TMT hasn't even started yet due to the protesting, if he got run over by a bulldozer it wasn't at the protest.

There's also nothing about this anywhere in local news.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Burying the lede there don't you think? (the instagram post I mean)

Getting RUN OVER BY A BULLDOZER is crazy, hope he's alright.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Just bring it to Spain already, if Hawaiian people don't want it on their sacred land respect their wishes.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit is he ok???
Bullshit. Construction on the TMT hasn't even started yet due to the protesting, if he got run over by a bulldozer it wasn't at the protest.

There's also nothing about this anywhere in local news.
Burying the lede there don't you think? (the instagram post I mean)

Getting RUN OVER BY A BULLDOZER is crazy, hope he's alright.

He hasn't been run over by a bulldozer, he was saying that he would if he needs to to stop this happening. It's pretty clear tbh?

Good on him tbh. It's disgusting that this is still being pushed.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm having a hard time finding why this land is considered sacred. Anyone more knowledgeable willing to share?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Jason Momoa is like the living representation of the whole moral in Lilo and Stitch. I've constantly grown to like him more and more. Don't know if what happened is as exaggerated as he's saying on that post (after all, it'd be all over international news if a huge actor like him was ran over by a bulldozer lmao) but hoping he's ok anyways, he really sounds pissed there.
Just bring it to Spain already, if Hawaiian people don't want it on their sacred land respect their wishes.
I don't think Canary people will be happy if they make it on their islands either.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
rip

nEL7JVB.jpg

I don't think Canary people will be happy if they make it on their islands either.
Think the government and community have said they are mostly fine with it. Though who knows what percentage of people need to be against a location for it to be blockaded.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good on him. Love seeing actors being able to stick to their morals rather than be mass media spokespeople.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time finding why this land is considered sacred. Anyone more knowledgeable willing to share?
The problem is not the device, but the location. The mountain, called Mauna O Wakea by Native Hawaiians, is the tallest in the islands, and its summit is considered sacred in traditional Hawaiian culture — the place where the sky god, Wakea, met with Papa Hanau Moku, the earth goddess, leading to the creation of the islands. Only the highest-ranking chiefs were historically believed to be fit to go there. There are other cultural sites on the mountain, including a sacred lake, significant burial sites and a historic quarry where stone tools were made.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him. Standing up for what him and his culture believe in. Can't they build this literally anywhere else?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Think the government and community have said they are mostly fine with it. Though who knows what percentage of people need to be against a location for it to be blockaded.
They are. There are several observatories already and the community, in general, is quite interested in getting the TMT here and make the islands an ever more prominent space for science.
Well, we protested because we didn't want the government to allow the construction of a petroleum platform near the Balearic Islands and while the protests weren't huge, there seemed to be quite a negative response and it seems like they've stopped the plans. If the Canary Islands are ok with it then no problem there. At least we're talking about something good like a telescope and not something that's straight up killing the land.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I still see people protesting on the street here in Maui. There was even a huge turnout by the college recently on Saturday. Fuck Ige. Move TMT somewhere else already, like ho shit brah.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Momoa is like the living representation of the whole moral in Lilo and Stitch. I've constantly grown to like him more and more. Don't know if what happened is as exaggerated as he's saying on that post (after all, it'd be all over international news if a huge actor like him was ran over by a bulldozer lmao) but hoping he's ok anyways, he really sounds pissed there.

Canary people are OK with it. The main problem in Hawaii is that they are doing it in sacred land for the Hawaiians, as well as the government breaking the promise they did of not doing it again after the previous one.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish him luck. As someone studying to become an astronomer the entire TMT issue going on for this long is frankly embarrassing.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

The canary island people are actually wooing the telescope. Huge lost for Americans science tho if so.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't they build this literally anywhere else?
In cooperation with AURA, the TMT project completed a multi-year evaluation of five sites:
  • Roque de los Muchachos Observatory, La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain
  • Cerro Armazones, Antofagasta Region, Republic of Chile
  • Cerro Tolanchar, Antofagasta Region, Republic of Chile
  • Cerro Tolar, Antofagasta Region, Republic of Chile
  • Mauna Kea, Hawaii, United States (This site was chosen and approval granted in April 2013)
  • San Pedro Mártir, Baja California, Mexico
  • Hanle, Jammu and Kashmir, India

N2U0iMS.jpg

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
This is the place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauna_Kea_Observatories

Mauna Kea's summit is one of the best sites in the world for astronomical observation due to favorable observing conditions.[26][61][62]The arid conditions are important for submillimeter and infrared astronomy for this region of the electromagnetic spectrum. The summit is above the inversion layer, keeping most cloud cover below the summit and ensuring the air on the summit is dry, and free of atmospheric pollution. The summit atmosphere is exceptionally stable, lacking turbulence for some of the world's best astronomical seeing. The very dark skies resulting from Mauna Kea's distance from city lights are preserved by legislation that minimizes light pollution from the surrounding area; the darkness level allows the observation of faint astronomical objects.[61] These factors historically made Mauna Kea an excellent spot for stargazing.[46]

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good for him. Standing up for what him and his culture believe in. Can't they build this literally anywhere else?
The summit of Maunakea is an exceptional site for astronomical observation, building the TMT there would provide us with exceptionally high quality astronomical data.

But that doesn't justify it.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
He hasn't been run over by a bulldozer, he was saying that he would if he needs to to stop this happening. It's pretty clear tbh?

I don't think it's clear... I suppose the text was formatted like we're in the future and they're letting the company know about Jason's hypothetical accident. It took me a while to get it.

Would've been way simpler to just say he 'will get run over' instead of imagining it already happened.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how the decision to construct it there came to pass in spite of it being so unpopular with the residents? Some shady backdoor deal? What's the Hawaiian government's part in this?

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Good on him tbh. It's disgusting that this is still being pushed.

I got it, but it wasn't really clear at all. He's talking in the third person about a hypothetical future event.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how the decision to construct it there came to pass in spite of it being so unpopular with the residents? Some shady backdoor deal? What's the Hawaiian government's part in this?
I believe the TMT actually has broad support among Hawaiian residents, it's Native Hawaiians specifically who stand opposed to it.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America has reputation for bulldozing over the sovereignty and concerns of native people over centuries. This will go the same as always. American gov gives no fucks.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's clear... I suppose the text was formatted like we're in the future and they're letting the company know about Jason's hypothetical accident. It took me a while to get it.

Would've been way simpler to just say he 'will get run over' instead of imagining it already happened.
Hypotheticals are a common thing in the english language and the context around it makes it clear that that is what it is 🤷‍♀️

Oct 25, 2017
Family members of mine are protesting at the mountain right now. If I was back home on the Big Island I'd be right there with them.

Not only did they promise not to do this again, but pollution that goes into the mountain would be extremely dangerous. There's an aquifer right below the mountain that supplies the island with fresh water that, since most of this new construction is below the actual peak and inside the volcanic rock, the chemicals are precariously close to contaminating the water.

At least, that's how I understand the other reason besides bulldozing sacred Hawaiian land again.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not only did they promise not to do this again, but pollution that goes into the mountain would be extremely dangerous. There's an aquifer right below the mountain that supplies the island with fresh water that, since most of this new construction is below the actual peak and inside the volcanic rock, the chemicals are precariously close to contaminating the water.
What toxic chemicals are involved in the construction and operation of a telescope that would be at risk of spilling? Not doubting, and I realize you may not be an expert, it just sounds peculiar. It's not like it's a fracking operation.

Oct 25, 2017
What toxic chemicals are involved in the construction and operation of a telescope that would be at risk of spilling? Not doubting, and I realize you may not be an expert, it just sounds peculiar. It's not like it's a fracking operation.
the act of construction itself, not just maintenance. Oil, acid, machinery, all sorts of stuff is necessary for building a gigantic telescope that has most of its structure underground. The volcanic rock is porous, which is why the aquifer is supplied in the first place from rainfall going through the porous rock. The potential for contamination is much higher than the previous telescope.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Hope he's okay! And hopefully the protests stop this construction, go build the telescope somewhere else!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who gives a shit? If the native people consider it sacred, leave it the fuck alone.
Thank you. Can't believe this needs saying. Christ.

The Rock was also protesting about this, said so on the Jimmy Kimmel show. Seems to be getting the backing of top Hollywood stars.

Also, agree with them, go elsewhere and respect the history of the population that live there.