• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think turning the widely loved 9-10 out of 10 original into a 5 or 6 is a perfectly reasonable reason to be annoyed.

See also: the Star Wars prequels

Yes, that was the issue with the new one. It was watchable, but didn't have the charm of the originals for me.

I'm kind of interested in this new idea now. Can't say I've felt like that about this franchise in a long time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they already have a blueprint for what not to do. I guess you cant really ask for much more than having a Reitman behind the camera lol.

On a side note, imagine him watching Fieg's remake thing... I assume he did and said "this will not be the end of Ghostbusters"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's impossible for it to be any worse than the last one at least.
The reboot movie was one of the most awful unfunny films I have seen in ages.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ghostbusters 2 is great, Extreme Ghostbusters ruled, and the reboot was okay, but dropped the ball by uncoupling itself from the original universe and relying too much on goofy humor. I'm extremely interested to see where this goes.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Just make it good. That's all there is to it; it needs to be good. I don't care who's in it, but it has to be quality, not whatever the last movie was.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really down for this. What made Ghostbusters was the cast. It's the same for Back to the Future, The Godfather, etc. Without them, it's not worth making another entry in the series.

Jul 20, 2018
Say what you will about the 2016 film but it was worth it for Kate McKinnon as Dr. Jillian Holtzmann, aka the ideal human.

Please put her in the unboot.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he makes a movie where the ghosts bust humans.

PeoplebustersinFlipSideepisodeCollage.png

So a Peoplebusters movie then? In down.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Ghostbusters 2 is great, Extreme Ghostbusters ruled, and the reboot was okay, but dropped the ball by uncoupling itself from the original universe and relying too much on goofy humor. I'm extremely interested to see where this goes.
Yep.

I mean, I enjoyed the reboot more than most, but I think there's plenty of value in Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters and those didn't include the original cast either.

Last edited:

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt that's on Sony management, more like blind luck in giving the right people the creative freedom they needed.

If that was the case, then Sony did a good job in choosing the right people, so it was on their management. But I think making that successful movies is not as simple as giving the right people creative freedom. It's a mix of both studio's management and right people.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters 2 was nowhere near the first one and a total retread but it still has amazing humor

The first one was lightning in a bottle. They will never match it.

It was a retread but it still had the original cast and some good zingers. The Statue of Liberty is a great set piece.

Nothing will be as good as the first. That film is endlessly quotable.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Murray's "heart" will never be in a GB sequel. If he's in it, expect a performance akin to Bruce Willis in Die Hard 5.

Dan, Ernie and Potts will bring it though.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The description of how this is totally not a reboot and the focus on the fans reads almost like an apology for the Feige one.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
4. The franchise has a ton of potential as exemplified by the TV series, comic, videogame etc. Why should we get superhero and Star Wars reboots every two years, but for some reason the concept of Ghostbusters is off-limits?

5. Ghostbusters 2 was not a failure.

The concept work many different ways. In every right, the originals shouldve been made a trilogy. And we should have been got a reboot already before that last reboot.

Im interested to see how they proceed with the story. Will it be open ended? I can see something akin to Evolution.

Nov 18, 2017
The concept work many different ways. In every right, the originals shouldve been made a trilogy. And we should have been got a reboot already before that last reboot.

Im interested to see how they proceed with the story. Will it be open ended? I can see something akin to Evolution.

A lot of people seem to have a blind spot as to how successful the Real Ghostbusters series was as a continuation of the films.

The cartoon expanded the characters, their backgrounds and the universe in loads of interesting ways: Peter's con-man uncle, Egon dating Janine, Janine becoming a ghostbuster, the idea the containment unit was a portal they could enter into, where all the ghosts were trapped in a sort of limbo. It had some really great human story arcs, such as the guy trying to transport his wealth and property into the afterlife, the lonely old lady whose attic is haunted by a vengeful spirit that plagued her father.

I'm sure to people only familiar with the films they might write it off as being dated and silly, but the point is it was huge at the time and there are a wealth of stories to explore within this franchise.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
That single, simple picture brings more joy and happiness to me than the entire 144 million dollar, 1hr 56 min runtime of the 2016 reboot.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Jason Reitman means this will be a hard pass from me. He's become a very reliable flop machine powered by nepotism and white male mediocrity.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I hope they do it right this time, I don't even mind if it's set in the original continuity. Just look at the Rocky movies: They went through the original series from Rocky 1 to Rocky 5. Then there was a long break until Rocky Balboa came out to conclude Rocky's boxing career. But then years later Creed came out and it's set in the same universe and it even has Rocky in it although the movie would have worked fine without him too.

Now if you do a reboot you should abandon the original continuity of course and come up with original ideas but the 2016 one failed so hard on this and for whatever reason decided to include a dozen cameos from the original it almost seemed like it didn't even want to try to be something new.