• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Barf.

That movie actually made me angry. It had such a good cast, and it was one of the most bland, unfunny things I have ever seen. It could have been SO good with the core cast that they had.

I feel so bad for the main screenwriter who worked on GB2016. It's clear she had different ideas for the movie than Feig did, but Feig basically just had the actresses (and Hemsworth) riff for hours at a time before selecting the bits he thought were funniest, rather than letting a bunch of talented actresses do their best at interpreting the story Dippold wrote for them.

Improv alone can't sustain a full-length studio film.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would but it's not a good movie at all lol
ALL I can say is LMFAO at the people that are trashing on Jason Reitman and saying Ghostbusters 2016 was really good.

I need to make a list of people on here who's film opinions I won't trust.

I feel so bad for the main screenwriter who worked on GB2016. It's clear she had different ideas for the movie than Feig did, but Feig basically just had the actresses (and Hemsworth) riff for hours at a time before selecting the bits he thought were funniest, rather than letting a bunch of talented actresses do their best at interpreting the story Dippold wrote for them.

This is primarily my problem with it. Whatever the script may have been originally, was totally lost due to the total non sequitur improv strewn throughout the film. It just didn't lend itself to it.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
ALL I can say is LMFAO at the people that are trashing on Jason Reitman and saying Ghostbusters 2016 was really good.

I need to make a list of people on here who's film opinions I won't trust.

Jason Reitman's damn good. I feel as though the Ghostbusters 2016 backlash has made people soft on Feig's movie. Now anyone that will make another Ghostbusters will be downplayed into oblivion because they don't have the backlash the other got.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Jason Reitman's damn good. I feel as though the Ghostbusters 2016 backlash has made people soft on Feig's movie. Now anyone that will make another Ghostbusters will be downplayed into oblivion because they don't have the backlash the other got.
The thing is...
Just because sexist morons trashed the movie for the wrong reasons...

doesn't mean that the movie deserves some deep defense force.

It was "mediocre blockbuster comedy" the movie. It was the same tier of film as Pixels.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Are the kids going to be Ghostbusters? That seems kinda lame to me. Don't mind if they have parts in the movie, just don't want to see them suiting up with proton packs and shit.

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder how many Reitman defenders in this thread even saw his last movie, The Front Runner, which was supposed to be an Oscar play and got fucking buried.

And all his good movies are from 10 years ago. Since then, he's made Labor Day and Men, Women, and Children which are two of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I did like Tully tho.

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
My reaction to this shot is disappointment.

The reasons:

#1 - A suburban family? NYC is a character of Ghostbusters just as much as Slimer
#2 - Even the 1984 crew had one POC
#3 - A premise potentially involving the descendants of the original crew is just lame
#4 - Ghostbusters already appeals to kids. It doesn't need young characters to employ the young-nerd-technology bits and "you're old" jokes. Plus, child actors suck in almost every comedy.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I wonder how many Reitman defenders in this thread even saw his last movie, which was supposed to be an Oscar play and got fucking buried.

And all his good movies are from 10 years ago. Since then, he's made Labor Day and Men, Women, and Children which are two of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I did like Tully tho.
So he did two bad movies in a row, in a career that has otherwise been filled with good to excellent movies, and his most recent one was good as well.

Seems more like a slump than a persistent pattern.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is...
Just because sexist morons trashed the movie for the wrong reasons...

doesn't mean that the movie deserves some deep defense force.

It was "mediocre blockbuster comedy" the movie. It was the same tier of film as Pixels.

Agreed. The movie didn't deserve the hell it was put through. It also was not a good movie.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Summarizing the reactions to Ghostbusters 2020.

• The original Ghostbusters was actually shit.
  • Jason Reitman is shit.
  • Ghostbusters 2016 was shit.
  • At least GB 2016 was better than Ghostbusters 2, which was also shit.
  • Who is this for? Are they shit?

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Summarizing the reactions to Ghostbusters 2020.

• The original Ghostbusters was actually shit.
  • Jason Reitman is shit.
  • Ghostbusters 2016 was shit.
  • At least GB 2016 was better than Ghostbusters 2, which was also shit.
  • Who is this for? Are they shit?
latest

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Winston will be in the movie in some fashion. The primary focus of the story seems to be around the grandchildren of the original members (my gut is telling me the main girl will be either Egon or Ray's granddaughter, but more likely Egon's), but we still don't know the full cast at this time. Just that the surviving three OG Busters and Sigourney Weaver will be in it.

okay yeah, that doesn't sound bad...hoping Winston's grandkid gets more screentime than he did in the day

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

The addition of Paul Rudd to the Ghostbusters 2020 cast was announced back in June, and at the time, it was said he would be playing a teacher where young cast members Finn Wolfhard and Mckenna Grace go to school. But Ivan Reitman has fleshed out his character a bit during an interview with Entertainment Tonight while promoting the new Ghostbuters maze at Halloween Horror Nights in Universal Studios. When asked about Paul Rudd's character in the movie, Reitman said:

"Well, he's a seismologist who's come to this small town because they've been having mysterious earthquakes. He's also teaching summer school there."

Jun 17, 2019
From the shot we got it looks like the earth quakes may be waking the dead, and the two kids took the car out to stop at least one ghost driving a car, or truck, since it's clear McKenna is shooting a proton pack at it, and the thing explodes as per the original. Looks to be more traditional sfx than cgi in this too.

My guess, the other members of the OG busters become involved as the story goes on and they end up going to NYC to get help. Given the casting, betting that the Pocs will be the other two mains.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
That looks like it's from back in the 80's. Wonder if it's a flash back scene?

EDIT - Just as an aside, but holy cow has this movie been under hyped. It's kinda crazy to me compared to the 2016 one. They've been filming out in the open up in Canada a lot, surprised there hasn't been a ton of leaked stuff.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

GB2016 had a screenplay?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
GB2016 had a screenplay?
Yes. I know it's hard to believe but Katie Dippold did actually write a script. Paul Feig just kind of disregarded it after a while in favor of long-form improv.
Not only that but IIRC McCarthy was constantly making changes to things on set and butting heads with Feig because she wanted it to be more light like RGB and he had wanted it to actually have some legit horror elements to it.